Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

View Poll Results: Does the MPEG OVERRIDE reconnecting every 10 minutes to your server annoy you?
Yes 4 25.00%
No 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1st April 2010, 15:13   #1
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
MPEG OVERRIDE (SHOUTcast radio) annoyance

OK ... my logs are getting filled with people listening to my station for hours. this is a good thing you might say ... well it would be if those people didn't connect 6 times every hour.

MPEG OVERRIDE is what SHOUTcast radio shows up as in the logs. SHOUTcast radio will reconnect the listeners every 10 minutes but to the listener its seamless... they have no idea they are reconnecting every 10 minutes.

This is very annoying and I would like to write a script or something that would check the user agent (either at an interval or when a person logs into the station) and if its from MPEG OVERRIDE then I would like them to be added to the ban list and kick the person out of the station. Unfortunately, I'm not that good at writing scripts or code so I will ask if anyone here can give me some suggestions as to how I would accomplish this.

This sounds extreme and would ban a lot of "good listeners" but I'm sick of the logs being filled unnecessarily and the stats being totally thrown off by the SHOUTcast radio.

I do have another thread where I have asked the developers to fix this issue with SHOUTcast radio but haven't heard back on that part of the thread yet. They seemed to have fixed the other issue quite quickly but never even mentioned the problem with the web based radio on their site. I am going to try to make a poll with this post to see if others are annoyed by this and maybe if enough people are pissed off... they will do something about it

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 16:52   #2
dotme
Moderator
 
dotme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,024
Most people don't even look at their logs. As for the reconnection issues, that's a Flash problem, not a Shoutcast problem. My understanding is that Flash leaks memory when streaming MP3 via HTTP and the only reasonable resolution is to reconnect at regular intervals.

Most log parsing software should be able to mask/filter and I would think you'd be able to filter those entries out.

But... bottom line, it's Flash that needs to be "fixed", not Shoutcast.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 18:38   #3
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
That's all well an good

That's all well and good but filtering doesn't really help the situation does it?
Filtering doesn't change the total destruction of the stats or the huge log files does it?!!!

If this is the case who came up with the number of 602 seconds to reconnect... it has to be hard coded in somewhere doesn't it? Why not fix it by changing the hard coding to 6000 seconds (10 hours) instead of 10 minutes? My average listeners listen about 6-10 hours so at least it wouldn't mess up my (and most people's) stats then.

If this is a flash problem why did SHOUTcast choose to use something that is going to totally mess up peoples servers? Why didn't they keep a player that doesn't have this extreme problem?

As for this so called leak... I play this flash game that runs sometimes as much as 15 hours (it often runs in the background) or more without problems other than flash uses 100% of your processor and huge amounts of ram... but that isnt a leak ... it does that if I'm connected 1 minute or 8 hours. (I don't know maybe the flash game reconnects every 10 minutes too... I have no way of checking that)

Yes flash sucks lately and they need to work on the major cpu and ram usage which again leads me to ask.... Why would SHOUTcast switch from a program that had only a small problem of connecting 3 times per one connection (Windows media player-two connections at 0 seconds before they finally connect) with a program that has such a major problem as huge cpu and ram usage and some so called memory leak?

I guess it was for cross platform compatibility but again ... if you want to make it compatible you really shouldn't screw up your program to do so. It's just common sense but I guess I don't have all the reasons for the switch or I'm the only one with any common sense.

And again I say ... SHOUTcast Player needs to be fixed!!!! or I need a script to ban people that use it.

Oh... nice try pawning it off on Flash... brings back memories of AOL's "always blame it on someone else's software" attitude ... LOL

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 17:46   #4
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
bump

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 17:47   #5
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
still ignored :(

just a bump because I'm still being ignored

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:24   #6
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude
 
Brutish Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 998
Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
Flash is awesome, but it is the Shoutcast YP, and when I think shoutcast YP, I think Winamp.

They only thing that would be good out of flash on the YP is the ability to stream AAC+ through this flash, but since the YP is based on the shoutcast server and not a flash media server, I really dont see the pupose of having flash support in shoutcast YP. Its not going to bring more listeners, Its going to be a headache for the broadcaster and the listener....

Maybe if it was another YP with flash support to recommend for listeners (which a second shoutcast YP might be beneficial, something for people that has never listened to internet radio, and is very browser friendly) PLUS this would allow a second directory ignore option.

This way, you could list yourself in the SC YP, but ignore the Flash based YP if you so choose.


It seems like a feasible solution.

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 16:11   #7
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
we seem to need more votes on this because Shoutcast has not responded about fixing this issue.. maybe if they see that more than a couple of people are annoyed they will work on fixing it.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 09:11   #8
idobi
Senior Member
 
idobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to idobi
The flash memory leak applies specifically to streaming audio. All flash players have this problem. Shoutcast probably won't do away with the flash player because it's popular with listeners. They might be open to readjusting the frequency of reconnection - I think 30 minutes is acceptable (30MB of RAM for 128kbps stream, large load for flash but not excessive). Knowing that, now it's pretty much up to you on how to handle your log "problem".

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 14:12   #9
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
Well I guess that it was only a matter of time that AOL would f**k up winamp and strangely it seems that everyone is OK with having an obviously broken component. No wonders this world is so f**ked up... we accept failure, shoddy workmanship and products without question. OK ... next time you buy a car just remember ... it will only drive for 10 minutes then you have to restart it.... IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?
You have to be seriously mentally challenged to vote "no" on this poll.

OK since it would seem that AOHell is not going to do anything about putting out a f**ked up product so can anyone here give me a Linux script that i can add to cron that will check for anyone logged in using the SHOUTcast F**KED player and kick/ban them if they are? Also can anyone tell me how to get a description in the SHOUTcast radio listings. I use SAM Broadcaster (under wine emulation) and SHOUTcast Server Version 1.9.8/Linux. I don't seem to display the description on the station listings which I would think would be the best place to warn people that if they use SHOUTcast radio to connect to my server they will be banned.

One last thing, I'm sick if getting replies blaming "flash" for this problem and saying AOL has no responsibility.... You are wrong and stop trying to pawn the blame on other peoples software (AOL is notorious for that) This is a problem that Winamp has to fix. AOL chose to use flash... if flash has a problem they need to contact flash and get it fixed or they need to find an alternative to flash. It's as simple as that. Back to the car example.... When you take you car back and say hey... this thing has to restart every 10 minutes and the dealer says .. oh .. that's a problem with a sensor that's made by "joe shmoe" we cant do anything about it... you will have to get joe shmoe to fix it. I really think you would be more pissed at the dealer than "joe shmoe". When Toyota had problems they were held responsible not the people that manufactured the defective parts. Not to mention the fact that if a car dealer sold a product with a known problem ... how much business would you think that dealer would get in the future....

AGAIN ... SHOUTcast Player needs to be fixed!!!! or I need a script to ban people that use it.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 22:51   #10
Nick@ss
Moderator
 
Nick@ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Streamsolutions Headquarters
Posts: 11,953
LoL this is only my opinion and not aol's

But with a toyota you will find the people paid over 20k for their car so they have a little room to demand and argue....

With no offence intended you will get used to the way things work around here and Nullsoft/Shoutcast/Aol do not jump through hoops because people are not happy.

The best way forward is for you to find a workaround as it will be a lot quicker for you to achieve your goal.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 06:27   #11
idobi
Senior Member
 
idobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to idobi
Flash has had a memory leak problem with streaming audio since 2004. There's an open ticket on the Adobe (Macromedia at the time) developer database since 2005. Adobe isn't inclined to fix the problem, and even if they did, it still wouldn't solve the problem since it would require EVERYONE to update their flash player.

For you, I see three very simple solutions. Turn off logging, disable YP, or use Icecast. In fact, if you're going to start banning people for using the shoutcast player, I don't see why options 2 and 3 aren't completely viable solutions for you.

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 14:46   #12
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
I prefer to be listed

@idobi I prefer to be listed, I just don't want my stats to show that 30 people connected to my station and listened for 10 minutes when it was 1 person that listened for 5 hours straight. I don't think that's too much to ask. I use my logs to find and ban abusers of the station and it becomes much harder when they get lost in hundreds of legitimate reconnects caused by this flash issue.

Anyone know why ... if there has been a problem with flash since 2004 that obviously wasn't going to be fixed and effected only the use you plan on using it for ... why would you choose to use something like that? I just can't figure out the reasoning behind it. Why take something that works and replace it with something you know doesn't work properly?

Oh well, I guess I will figure out a way to write the script myself. Still need to find out why descriptions don't show up in the listings anymore... I really want people to see my disgust with the SHOUTcast player. Maybe other stations will see my description, wonder why I ban people using the SHOUTcast radio and they will start questioning it. Then maybe AOL will get off their ass and fix the problem. (get on Adobe to fix flash, find a replacement for the 'flash based' player, go back to the original one that worked or write their own if this is an aesthetics issue and they just want their name on the player... flash doesn't need to be used!!)

Judging by the votes here, I'm dealing with people that will not be able to help. Their intelligence is just not at a level where they can understand a simple concept. Like I said before "You have to be seriously mentally challenged to vote "no" on this poll" and what happens... I get two more no votes which just furthers my opinion. Please don't reply to this if you are going to tell me this is a flash problem. Ill break down this simple concept one more time. AOL took something that worked and replaced it with something that has a defect that effects the indented use of the product. I used Toyota as an example and Nick@ss didn't get the concept. He brought in the "Price" issue so I won't use that example. I will let you come up with your own example. If you had anything that you found useful and worked fine (free or paid for) and someone took it and replaced it with something that was defective and had a known problem with the use it was intended for wouldn't you be a little upset?

Most people seem to keep replying that its a flash issue... they just don't seem to understand that it is NOT a flash issue. Yes flash does have a problem but that's not the real issue the real issue is that AOL chose to use flash even though there is a known problem with it! This problem effects anyone who wants to keep any idea of how many listeners they get or how long the listened for. This problem effects anyone who doesn't want logs that are 30 times bigger and filled with 80% duplicate entries.

Sure I could write a very complicated script to look at the times of login and disconnect of each entry and if they are from the same person and in the same second have it merge those entries so maybe I can get a more accurate connect time but if I was that good at writing scripts I would be able to write one to ban SHOUTcast player users and I wouldn't have to write such a complicated one.

Since no one seems to understand why there should be thousands of yes votes and zero no votes on this poll lets just forget about the simple concept of AOL taking something that worked and replacing it with something that doesn't and use this post to help me get some answers to two problems I need resolved:

1. Does anyone know how to get a description to show in the SHOUTcast directory?
2. Does anyone know how to write a Linux script that will query the SHOUTcast server, look for MPEG OVERRIDE and then preferably kick them 3 times if they connect a 4th time add them to the ban list?

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:05   #13
idobi
Senior Member
 
idobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to idobi
Just so you aware, while the source of your MPEG OVERRIDE may be from shoutcast's radio player - it's not necessarily the case. Any flash-based internet radio app will report itself as MPEG OVERRIDE.

The reason people use flash radio players is because listeners like them. There really is no other good way to play a radio station stream in a browser. It's the same reason flash has become the standard for video player - everyone has it installed.

As for logs, they're useful when there's a problem. If your station is running well, forget about the logs. Seriously. Turn it off and spend your time working on your playlist, shows and station's web site. If your listeners want to use flash to listen to your station, why would you want to ban them? As for 30 people connected for 10 minutes or 1 person listening for five hours, it's still one concurrent listener.

Running a station is a marathon, not a sprint. If your concurrent listeners increase week over week, month over month, year over year, then you can assume that whatever you're doing is working (and banning listeners because they choose to use flash to listen to your station isn't going to endear them to your station).

Anyways, if you want to parse your logs for listener data, it doesn't matter if they're reconnecting or not. They have the same IP number, and you can get their total listening time. You shouldn't even have to look at the log files. There are plenty of log analyzers designed to look at shoutcast logs that will do the job for you.

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 21:44   #14
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
wow

still don't get it huh?

the logs are more than just for problems .. they are for problem users ... there are so many people that try to hack or just f**k with the stations. Maybe not with huge stations but the little guys like me.

OK its obvious I won't get any help here I guess I will look for a Linux forum to post my questions.


Unfortunately there is still the question

Why don't descriptions show in the SHOUTcast directory anymore?
This issue you can't blame on flash or your choice to f*ck up a perfectly working program but it still is a problem and it still needs fixing


AND... I have not found any parsers that will handle SHOUTcast logs let alone one that would combine connection times and keep those connection times in xml format so I can quarry them from my stats page for an accurate average user listen time.

you give me a name of a parser that will create stat logs for SHOUTcast that can be made into a dynamic page to be displayed accuratly on my site or STFU because the more you reply with ignorant and non relevant posts the more I get pissed off.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 21:54   #15
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude
 
Brutish Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 998
Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
????

Take your bash scripts to Icecast then. Xiph directory is true pimp.

I just checked SC, its not trying to hand me a flash player anymore. Im guessing your problem isnt on the MPEG override of SC's flash player, and cant say the few flash players names that have issues, because I dont want some exploits bottled in my small bottle skull being known.
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:19   #16
Nick@ss
Moderator
 
Nick@ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Streamsolutions Headquarters
Posts: 11,953
Ive come the conclusion i dont really like your attitude and will point you to the rules.

People do get a lot more help from the forum members if they are nice and polite when they come here.

I can assure you that there are many people here that maybe could of helped you but have walked in the opposite direction due to the aggressive nature of your posts and also you have shown no appreciation for people that have tried to help you.

Quote:
Flaming
- Material that is knowingly defamatory, illegal, abusive, threatening or harassing, is strictly prohibited. As with anything, you, as a member, should use good common sense when posting. In other words, you agree not to be a jerk. Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted.
if you continue to break the rules you will not be able to play here any more.

Quote:
you give me a name of a parser that will create stat logs for SHOUTcast that can be made into a dynamic page to be displayed accuratly on my site or STFU because the more you reply with ignorant and non relevant posts the more I get pissed off.
This does not quantify as playing nicely, Abide by the rules or mind the door doesn't hit you on the way out.

If you even attempt to turn this into an argument i will close the thread and close your account.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:33   #17
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
thank you aol and Nick@ss

Do what you have to... I only got nasty when people tried to blame this issue on someone else. Sorry I hate AOL for its "blame the other guy" attitude.

Then when I repeatedly said this is not a flash issue people still posted that it was a flash problem and needed to be taken care of by flash.

so yeah I got nastier.

Now I'm being blamed because I'm very pissed off at a company that destroyed something that worked

Well I have stopped using Winamp because AOL took it over and god know what type of spying they are doing on us (AOL is notorious for that and has even been sued for it yet they are still in business and not in jail ... wonder how that happened .. oh yeah .. they are in bed with the government) Now I guess its time to give up SHOUTcast. I can almost guarantee they added code to spy on the people using the new servers too.

I will be sure to mention to all my clients to boycott AOL / Winamp / SHOUTcast and all other AOL companies

Basically this post is in response to Nick@ss ... I'm sorry .. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't like you attitude either. oh don't ban me ... trust me. ..

I have not broken the rules. So far I have not said anything that is knowingly defamatory, illegal, abusive, threatening or harassing

Quote:
Quote:
you give me a name of a parser that will create stat logs for SHOUTcast that can be made into a dynamic page to be displayed accuratly on my site or STFU because the more you reply with ignorant and non relevant posts the more I get pissed off.
This does not quantify as playing nicely, Abide by the rules or mind the door doesn't hit you on the way out.
Maybe you should spend a little more time censoring useless posts so people don't get pissed off instead of coming after me for stating true facts and trying to get answers for problems that your company created.

Quote:
If you even attempt to turn this into an argument i will close the thread and close your account.
Of course you will, isn't this the way that all ignorant people handle situations when they know they are wrong. If they can't prove a person wrong, can't help and know its their fault ... get rid of the person that is exposing their inability to function properly

You said it best.
Quote:
you will get used to the way things work around here and Nullsoft/Shoutcast/Aol do not jump through hoops because people are not happy.
Basically Nullsoft/Shoutcast/Aol doesn't give a crap about their customers... nor do they give a crap about the quality of the software they produce. Nick@ss said it himself.

How do they stay in business?
Why does anyone support them?
What is wrong with people today?
Why am I the only one getting pissed off about this horrid company?

Again ... I have not broken any of your rules in this post ...if you do if you decide to close this thread and ban me, you better check with your superior first or its just an indication that you are sick of being Moderator.

Have a wonderful day ... maybe next time ... try being more helpful and less annoying.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:37   #18
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
@Brutish Sailor
Quote:
I just checked SC, its not trying to hand me a flash player anymore.
You must have picked the "
I want to listen using my own media player (Winamp, Windows Media, iTunes, etc)" option and have your cookies enabled which is probably why its not forcing the flash player on you now.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 18:01   #19
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
Quote:
also you have shown no appreciation for people that have tried to help you.
OH I forgot to comment on this....

What help? I would show appreciation if anyone tried to help but no one has .. they have said its flash and I need to have flash fix it ... they have said to use a parser which doesn't help the problem I'm having .... they have told me that there is nothing I can do about it ... but no one has given me type of useful information what so ever.

The only person that came anywhere near close to any help is Brutish Sailor who stated there should be two YP's so we would have the option to ban use of the flash player version.... and I never said anything bad about his post.

Basically you have a problem with me because I am stating facts that you can't counter and you don't like people pointing out the pitfalls of a company that should not even be in business anymore. You don't like my posts not because of my attitude but because what I'm saying about AOL/Winamp/SHOUTcast is accurate and you don't want others realizing it. Keep the sheep ignorant for as long as possible... they are easier to control when they ignorantly follow.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 18:19   #20
Nick@ss
Moderator
 
Nick@ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Streamsolutions Headquarters
Posts: 11,953
Right now you have had your say i will point you to a few things and i can assure you i have already checked with my superiors and discussed with other mods so you can see this isn't a gung ho approach..

Rule Broken - Material that is knowingly defamatory is strictly prohibited
Rule Broken - As with anything, you, as a member, should use good common sense when posting. In other words, you agree not to be a jerk
Rule Broken - Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted.

Suggestions
In the attempt to create a compromise where everyone is happy, the following suggestions are also recommended:

1. Be civil and courteous. - suggestion ignored

Quote:
defamatory–adjective
containing defamation; injurious to reputation; slanderous or libelous: She claimed that the article in the magazine was defamatory.
Quote:
Basically Nullsoft/Shoutcast/Aol doesn't give a crap about their customers
You are only a customer if you are paying for something, if its free then you are just a user.

As i am in a good mood i am not going to ban you but send you and your post to the bitch list and they can have a chat with you over there as they are very nice people that will discuss your issues in a civilised manner

Now i think that's fair and if i see this kind of aggressive behaviour and unnecessary ranting again we will just give you a time out on the naughty step and you can try and calm down and stop screaming.

fyi it is achievable to ban by agent as this is a product we have developed within our business for our anti stream ripping.

Over to you bitch list boys please be gentle with him.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 18:44   #21
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
Quote:
Rule Broken - Material that is knowingly defamatory is strictly prohibited
Where did I break this rule?
I never said anything that was knowingly defamatory
Defamatory—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual and you quoted me saying "Basically Nullsoft/Shoutcast/Aol doesn't give a crap about their customers"
How is this defamatory... you yourself stated "you will get used to the way things work around here and Nullsoft/Shoutcast/Aol do not jump through hoops because people are not happy. " So mine isn't defamatory its just a paraphrase of your statement.

Quote:
Rule Broken - As with anything, you, as a member, should use good common sense when posting. In other words, you agree not to be a jerk
pretty much anything anyone says could fit in this category so I won't even bother with this one ... plus you didn't seem to say how I broke this rule

Quote:
Rule Broken - Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted.
And here .. again no idea what you are talking about ... I never personally attacked any individual though I may have implied that people in general are ignorant.

Quote:
You are only a customer if you are paying for something, if its free then you are just a user.
Ahh but you are wrong here again ... I do pay for this crap I have to deal with... everyone does. What do you think all that damn advertising is. Yes I don't personally write you a check but we all pay for this service... nothing in this world is free NOTHING!!!!!!

Quote:
fyi it is achievable to ban by agent as this is a product we have developed within our business for our anti stream ripping.
Now see ... you could have ended this post so easily at the beginning but no....
all you would have had to do is say " it is achievable to ban by agent as this is a product we have developed within our business for our anti stream ripping. Here is how you can do it..."

If you re read the posts ... my first post was civil ... it wasn't until people started blaming flash and being foolish that I started getting rude. Treat me right and I am the nicest guy you would ever meet... piss me off and you will find that I can be very destructive. (and I will specify so you don't take that as a threat ... I can be very "legally" destructive). D

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 22:09   #22
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble
 
bored_womble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wimbledon Common
Posts: 1,100
good to see someone with no grasp of technology ranting when they can not use it/does not work as they want.

BW

[edit] I do hope I am wrong, but you have 10 slots ? [/edit]

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 18:00   #23
tuckerm
Forum Emo
 
tuckerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,377
This is why I quit SHOUTcast a longggg time ago.

John, chill out man. It's a log, who cares.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:59   #24
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
obviously not a system admin

Quote:
John, chill out man. It's a log, who cares.
I take it you don't run a station or its a huge one on a pay server. Logs are very very important if you actually are running your own servers. There are a lot of 'jerks' to put it nicely out there that 'mess' with radio stations as well as web servers and e-mail. Logs are what are used to locate these abusers so they can be banned. If I lost my apache logs or my dovecot logs I would be lost. Yes I get upset when things screw up logs because ... its a log which is very important (not who cares)

Its ok now though, the player is now shooting itself in the foot. I did find a provider that gives me 1000 slots so now all I did was put a intro file in SHOUTcast. Now when people sign in they get a message telling them to connect to my remote server. This message repeats every 10 minutes for those using the SHOUTcast player because of the broken player so I put that in the file too stating that if they want to listen to my station without interruption then need to connect to my remote server because its uninterrupted by the intro file.

Now that I have 1000 slots and I don't have to deal with the hackers/spammers and all their tricks like signing on 10 times to fill my slots or just connecting and disconnect flooding so I guess my logs aren't as important now.

Having the player being totally fubar actually helps me now ... no one listens to my site using the SHOUTcast player now for more than about 20-30 minutes 2-3 connections ... then they get annoyed hearing the intro file being repeated and usually move to a non web based player or to my new server.

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 23:36   #25
Tag
Streaming Media Expert
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 141
Send a message via AIM to Tag
Let me get this straight, you've abandoned listenership in favor of clean log files?

Even though I'm not working on Shoutcast anymore , I still run my station (Tag's Trip) and can honestly say I would *NEVER* want to disrespect my listener base in such a way.

I wanted to comment on stream ripping as well.

In my experience (10+ years) of shoutcast development and streaming, I have done countless audits of stations where log's were available to me (Mostly AOL hosted , but a few not).

I can say this with nearly 100 percent accuracy: Stream Ripping comprises less than .1 percent of the total aggregate listener base. So stop abusing your listeners, ignore the stream rippers and concentrate on content and expanding your base.

Nuf Said.

Tag

Powered by Redbull and Progressive House
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:36   #26
Orions Radio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 47
Quote:
In my experience (10+ years) of shoutcast development and streaming, I have done countless audits of stations where log's were available to me (Mostly AOL hosted , but a few not).

I can say this with nearly 100 percent accuracy: Stream Ripping comprises less than .1 percent of the total aggregate listener base.
LOL... Thanks I needed a good laugh. I have only been broadcasting for about 4 years. In that time I have had to block close to 3000 IP addresses/ranges due to abuse discovered by my logs.

If you are just worried about stream rippers yeah.... I don't think I have had more than one or two in the 4 years of broadcasting. Stream rippers aren't the problem when you run a small station as I have mentioned before. People will do all kinds of crap to small stations like signing in with several players to fill up all the slots so no one can connect ... or flood connecting (connecting over and over hundreds of times for 0 or 1 second) and many other stupid acts.

If you have been broadcasting for 10 years you would know this... unless you pay for a server that has many slots and no logs. OOPS busted!!! ... go back to the bridge you crawled out from under troll!!

since this is no longer a help thread ... anyone that decides to answer incompetently with bullshit answers and foolish subterfuge deserves to be treated like the nescient imbeciles they are.

Let me dumb that down for you guys since no one here seems to have any intelligence or common sense.... don't bother to post stupid answers or lies or I will treat you like the morons you are!!

I can say what I want here now because the only ones that are going to be posting here are people who want to flame me because they are too stupid to understand what this post was originally about.

Anyway... in another post... nullsoft did admit that their flash player has a problem with its reconnecting every 10 minutes and they are going to fix it so I guess this is all irrelevant anyway

Actually .. you know what ... I'm done with this thread completely. It's obvious that no one here has the knowledge to write the script I'm looking for so instead of this aggravation, I will just learn how to write it myself. I may not even need it too much longer since Nullsoft is fixing the player.

John Orion

Last edited by Orions Radio; 14th May 2010 at 12:54. Reason: because I'm done with this post
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 13:35   #27
ujay
Forum King
 
ujay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orions Radio View Post
... Let me dumb that down for you guys since no one here seems to have any intelligence or common sense.... don't bother to post stupid answers or lies or I will treat you like the morons you are!! ...
The're fresh.
The're lovely.
Come and get yer insults 'ere.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 15:25   #28
Nick@ss
Moderator
 
Nick@ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Streamsolutions Headquarters
Posts: 11,953
LOL not that you are reading this any more but the person that posted above (tag) is only the person that invented shoutcast in the first place so to say he might have a rough idea of whats what is pretty close.

and i only see one person flaming here?
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 16:32   #29
Tag
Streaming Media Expert
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 141
Send a message via AIM to Tag
I guess he's pissed no one gave him free hosting.

Later.

Signed: -- The Author of SHOUTcast Server.

Powered by Redbull and Progressive House
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 00:43   #30
tuckerm
Forum Emo
 
tuckerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orions Radio View Post
I take it you don't run a station or its a huge one on a pay server. Logs are very very important if you actually are running your own servers. There are a lot of 'jerks' to put it nicely out there that 'mess' with radio stations as well as web servers and e-mail. Logs are what are used to locate these abusers so they can be banned. If I lost my apache logs or my dovecot logs I would be lost. Yes I get upset when things screw up logs because ... its a log which is very important (not who cares).
Wow, You totally know me! Give me a break. I know how it is, I ran my own talkshow for a few years and I did go through the whole running my own server thing. It's hard, no doubt about it.

All I know is this: If this is how you are on here, I can only imagine how crappy your station is.

Here's a bit of advice I learned from an old member here: Shut up, and move on.

Nick@SS, I think it's time this bitch gets the pad lock.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 22:53   #31
DJProFusion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: http://WorldFusionRadio.com
Posts: 40
Send a message via Yahoo to DJProFusion
Wow, I haven't seen a more entertaining thread in a long time. I've seen a lot of noobs and idiots Webcasting but this guy wins the prize.

http://WorldFusionRadio.com
What the future sounds like
DJProFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 16:57   #32
sqgl
Senior Member
 
sqgl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 157
MPEG OVERRIDE *not* always intermittent

Quote:
Originally Posted by idobi View Post
Flash has had a memory leak problem with streaming audio since 2004. There's an open ticket on the Adobe (Macromedia at the time) developer database since 2005. Adobe isn't inclined to fix the problem, and even if they did, it still wouldn't solve the problem since it would require EVERYONE to update their flash player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idobi View Post
The flash memory leak applies specifically to streaming audio. All flash players have this problem. Shoutcast probably won't do away with the flash player because it's popular with listeners. They might be open to readjusting the frequency of reconnection - I think 30 minutes is acceptable (30MB of RAM for 128kbps stream, large load for flash but not excessive).
Quote:
Originally Posted by idobi View Post
Just so you aware, while the source of your MPEG OVERRIDE may be from shoutcast's radio player - it's not necessarily the case. Any flash-based internet radio app will report itself as MPEG OVERRIDE.
Actually, at this very moment I have a listener tuned in with MO agent for over five hours continuously so far (no disconnects/reconnects).

What's more is that they are connecting and listening in parallel exactly every 100 minutes. So currently that user has four simultaneous connections: 5h10m, 3h30, 1h50m, 10m0s. Dodgy eh?

Other MO agent listeners do display the intermittent connectivity problem though.

Remixing listener requests of ambient tracks live http://RePlayScape.com

Last edited by sqgl; 9th February 2013 at 18:58. Reason: Update re exceptional listener
sqgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 20:35   #33
sqgl
Senior Member
 
sqgl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 157
Eventually I had five simultaneous MO connections from that listener. I just kicked all but the initial one (connected for 6h46s and counting).

Remixing listener requests of ambient tracks live http://RePlayScape.com
sqgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump