Old 7th June 2011, 04:59   #1
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Alcohol...

Recently it seems I can't really drink any alcohol. Not so much the getting drunk part. Something about the taste is really bugging me. Smirnoff is even not good tasting now. Kind of sucks. I don't like Budweiser or other dark beer.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 09:24   #2
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

maybe the cold you had has stuffed up your tastebuds?

Or you could be pregnant, cause that messed up my tastebuds whilst preggers with Shy Jr.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 14:33   #3
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Looking back I'm thinking it was my choice of alcohol that was bad. Oh well... Live and learn.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 18:56   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Smirnoff is pretty good. You could spend more. Grey Goose or Ketel One if I'm really feeling like I have extra dough. Stoli hasn't been the same since the wall came down. It used to be my fav.

This only matters if you are drinking it straight or in a martini. Even in a martini, Smirnoff holds up pretty well. I don't like Absolut.... too scented for my palate.

If I drink Stoli lately, it's ice cold straight shots of Persovka pepper vodka. Limonaya is pretty good in a gimlet. That's as far as I go with flavored vodka.

What I can't figure out? I can see the $10 half gallon bar whiskey being dank, but how do they actually make bad Vodka? Do they add diesel or something? At a price point, Smirnoff makes a completely acceptable vodka. If I drink the cheap stuff, it gives me a headache.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:22   #5
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i'd recommend "fireball" cinnamon whiskey, "tastes like heaven, burns like hell" pretty accurate slogan, don't even need to mix it.

yeah, having a roomy who works at a liquor store has it's upsides

also, for good middle to low price vodka take
http://www.voxvodka.com/lpa
over stolichnya or stolis anyday, much smoother, much higher score in the booze rating thingy as well, moderately lower price, although if you don't get along well with potatoes you may want to avoid it.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 07:10   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

My great-grannie used to make spud vodka during prohibition. It sure isn't the same as grain spirits. You should not give any to women unless you wanted to see her head spin around and throw up pea soup.

When "cat lady" finally went to the nursing home, I found 15 gallons of spud vodka in a glass "Jimmy John". Not being brave, I did use my friend "Larry" to see whether it would make you blind. Larry did not go blind. I am not sure the effects of 160 proof spud vodka were innocuous though.

I'll stick with Smirnoff.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:45   #7
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Old 27th June 2011, 01:23   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

About Larry or my great-grannie? Hell, if I ever ran into anything questionable, I always gave Larry some first I did stop one mutual friend from chopping Larry to bits with an ax.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:25   #9
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

the entire thing, i honestly can't say i believe potato vodka could do anything like that to a person.

Old 27th June 2011, 01:28   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

Actually, I was fairly certain that something Zosha would have saved for decades was probably safe. You can really screw up a still and make blinding methyl alcohol.

This was the 1930's. I still have the empty jug. My friend Larry was a nerd, and after a shot of 160 proof spud vodka...... well lets just say.... it did curl his toehairs a little.. and mine... and half of Aloha...

I have had "corn shine", but you never met Pollack from Chicago shine. One old dude "in the day" said the shit was devastating. That was about the right word.

It was sort of like good tasting paint thinner.

No Smoking. Sit down first!
Old 27th June 2011, 01:51   #11
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
You can really screw up a still and make blinding methyl alcohol.
that explains it probably or turpentine maybe, but i doubt the latter.

Old 4th July 2011, 21:16   #12
fc*uk

MeOH is a likely and common mistake for home brewers. Methanol will make you go blind. ROH is not kidding in the least. Though it's only one carbon atom and a few hydrogen atoms, there is one hell of a difference between methanol and ethanol. That's why fermentation temperatures are not to be taken lightly actually.

Turpentine would be a bitch to make. It's hard to shoot for C2H6O (ethanol) and hit an approximate C10H16 (turpentine) without some form of polymerizing agent being present, which are not commonly found in booze. However, being a polymer, there is some sort of a molecular spread to the AMWD of C10H16, but I doubt any significant quantity of that AMWD hits as low as C2H6. However, I am not a polymer chemist.

As for Vidka, I can't drink that shit anymore. Not that it is shit. It's really good actually. I have just drank a little too much of it a little too often.

Last time I had it was about three to four years ago now for a friends bachelor party. It was my very first shot of the night. I am not a stranger to the drink. I had one vodka shot (not really, kamikaze) and was in the bathroom vomiting about 5 minutes later.

Needless to say, we have parted ways. Before that night, it had been about 6 years before I had any vodka.

Now the only drink I can tolerate with vodka is a long island ...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 05:18   #13
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
the entire thing, i honestly can't say i believe potato vodka could do anything like that to a person.
my point here, just to clarify was basically that i don't see it being more likely with potato vodka opposed to whatever the hell else they make vodka with.

sides, vox is awesome vodka, ask anyone who owns a liquor store.

i did.

Old 10th July 2011, 12:39   #14
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Who puts vodka in a martini?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 13:56   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I like vodka martinis.
Old 29th August 2011, 02:35   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I think they're ok, but still prefer gin for martinis.

Screwing up vodka - if you don't distill it three (or more) times, it might not come out quite as "clean". The difference in waters used to cut it can change the taste too, but generally speaking, this is only noticeable when drinking it straight. The whole point is to make it as tasteless as possible, which is why I don't really find it beneficial to spend much on vodka. Plus, I don't really drink liquor much anymore; probably since I like tasting different beers so much. My bar has been reduced to almost nothing in terms of liquor, whereas for a lot of years I used to maintain about 30 bottles.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 06:04   #17
JasOKe23

never tried vodka with martinis. Has anyone tried drinking lambanog?
JasOKe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 18:01   #18
Kaboon

Send a message via ICQ to Kaboon
What about drugs?
Kaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 23:21   #19
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If I was even suspected of using drugs, my place of employment would likely try to push me out. If I was caught possessing illegal drugs, I'd be out my license and job completely, immediately.

Old 25th January 2012, 06:57   #20
rockouthippie
Banned

I am just getting too old for this shit. I don't get to drink any more. 3 day hangovers over a 6 pack just ain't my thing anymore.

You younger guys might want to save some of your liver for later

Quote:
If I was caught possessing illegal drugs, I'd be out my license and job completely, immediately.
That's always helpful if you have a drug problem. But then professional people tend to run into prescription drug problems. A lot of doctors are drug dealers, just really high priced, insurance paid drug dealers.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:39   #21
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
A lot of doctors are drug dealers, just really high priced, insurance paid drug dealers.
quoted for truth, it's hard to adequately express how frustrating it is when people treat pot as a drug and then turn around and pop a handful of pills, fucking hypocrites.

Old 25th January 2012, 17:13   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The only drugs I take are loratadine (antihistamine) and psedoephedrine (decongestant) for allergies. Neither require a prescription, but the latter requires that I sign for it at the drug store since it could be used as a key ingredient for club drugs. Together these two have the same active ingredients as Claritin D, but for a very small fraction of the price. I'm sick today (wicked upper respiratory infection), so add amoxicilin and promethazine-dm to the mix. Today marks my third day off work for sick-leave this year, a personal record high number of days for this early in the school year, and I absolutely hate missing work. [2 days for this, one back in October for a nasty flu shot reaction]

As far as alcohol goes, I rarely have more than one drink in a sitting, very rarely more than two in a day, and never on work nights. I guess I'm a bit of a lightweight. During the summer though, I usually have a beer before dinner and another late at night in front of the campfire before bed just about every day.

edit - heh, my second drug was censored, so I added some anchor tags before and after the "u"

Old 26th January 2012, 01:03   #23
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

jeez, is there anyone who hasn't caught this god damn cold at this point?

started tasting like bronchitis for me so i've been guzzling airborne and vitamin C since last night, think i may have evaded it, head doesn't hurt when i cough anymore but.... definitely still fucking sick.

Old 26th January 2012, 01:08   #24
fc*uk

I got it fo sho after igloofest.

I'm drinking tequila because I am bigger than what is making me ill. I will get it drunk and kill it; me, I will just get hammered.

Oh, nota bene: all tequila tastes the same when you can't taste anything. So, just buy quervo and be done with it.
Old 28th January 2012, 20:26   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
psedoephedrine
Illegal in Oregon. In response to the meth problem they started making people sign for sudafed. It worked great. Then they did something really stupid and made it prescription only when making you sign already worked.

Eventually none of it worked. The Mexicans picked up the slack and now people don't cook their own. They just buy finished product. It's probably cheaper than buying the sudafed.

The only other thing that really works for my allergies is benadryl and that makes me sleepy. Claritin don't cut it.
Old 28th January 2012, 22:52   #26
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It does seem odd that they make you get a prescription rather than just signing for it, which is what every state I have ever lived in does. That's gotta suck.

Claritin D is pseudoephedrine (decongestant) and loratadine (antihistamine) put together; exact active ingredients, for a big price, when you can buy them separately for much less money.

Claritin without the "D" is antihistamine only; no decongestant, which is why it may not work the way you would like it to.

Old 29th January 2012, 03:23   #27
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
It does seem odd
You might have seen Portlandia.
Old 29th January 2012, 04:20   #28
fc*uk

Here is a brill idea.

Central database.

Swipe your drivers license.

You get t oo many hits, you get searched.

Love how the few complete dumb fucks in this country ruin it for everyone.

Edit:

And (unfortunately) the only thing the US cares about anymore is breeding even bigger and better idiots to drink the political kool-aid until we all petition the government for the right to take a piss in our own toilets ... and year after year, we all eat it up like kids in a candy store....
Old 29th January 2012, 05:51   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
Love how the few complete dumb fucks in this country ruin it for everyone.
That's pretty much it, in so many ways.

Your idea about the database is pretty much what most states have: you go to the counter, show ID, sign for it, no prescription needed, you leave. The computer takes care of the rest.

It looks like RoH lives in a state where people have to make at least an insurance co-pay to see a doc plus time invested to sit in waiting rooms, usually time when one could be at work making money instead of spending it. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

Old 29th January 2012, 19:18   #30
rockouthippie
Banned

Oregon is like that. Seeing something work, we always go overboard. It just wouldn't be a win if we didn't go past sanity in dealing with anything. I am one of the about 10% that actually is from here before California vomited.

It's funny how people say Oregonians are so friendly or this or that. You are talking to a Californian if you feel that way. One way to tell. Natives universally mind their own business.
Old 29th January 2012, 20:57   #31
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 04:16   #32
fc*uk

^ LOL!!!!

That's good!
Old 1st February 2012, 00:04   #33
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
It's funny how people say Oregonians are so friendly or this or that. You are talking to a Californian if you feel that way. One way to tell. Natives universally mind their own business.
QFFT.

we're too busy trying to avoid being fucked into a conversation with some overly talkative californian to ever consider starting it up with most randoms.

another way to tell is talking about the weather, we expect rain 365 days a year, cali and washington people are the ones who come here to be amazed that moisture comes out of the clouds above, we're still waiting for proof the clouds know a second trick.

one thing though, oregon is the "rose" state.... yeah.... right.... if any flower properly represents oregon it's not a rose, that's for sure.

if any flower truly represents oregon, here's the one:

Old 8th February 2012, 21:04   #34
rockouthippie
Banned

I think the "medical" marijuana thing is pretty funny. Is there a grower that isn't cheating? I haven't met one.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist