Old 30th August 2012, 05:18   #1
glennsw

Complaints

I used to use winamp for years then switched to Itunes. Winamp has screwed up my library so bad by the awful tagging and categorizing it's ridiculous. I have had to go back and reburn all of my CDs because of winamp. I can't believe I wasted $20.00 years ago on this software Now that aol owns winamp.....and have installed bloated spyware, toolbars etc in their program. I'll NEVER USE WINAMP again. Even their synchronization to the droid is terrible. It doesn't recognize it half of the time. Use Airdroid. Whats with shoutcast? Just use Tunein.com Iheart, or rockradio.com What was once a great pioneer to media players is now horrendous.
glennsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 05:52   #2
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Oh yeah I forgot that they install all that extra stuff... I removed it... Easily...

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 08:02   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Oh god, when did aol buy Winamp?........Oh wait 13 years ago you say, phew, thank go I thought it was a recent thing...

For the record my iTunes and Winamp libraries exist quite happily side by side, although I'm sure I could bugger it up quite easily if I didn't have a clue......
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 08:21   #4
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I have no use for iTunes so thankfully I don't have to use it.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 10:55   #5
DrO

it would just have needed re-tagging the files rather than re-burning everything. though if they had been used ok for however long beforehand, then i don't see why it's suddenly become so bad when switching to the iTunes behemoth (and i'd have to suspect that how things were tagged was at complete opposites from how iTunes likes to force things to be or even it came about due to the re-organisation that iTunes itself likes to do).

won't even go down the Aol ownership path as that has been walked too many times and just is dull dull dull for when people suddenly realise what happened 13+years ago.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 05:33   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
This is an important lesson that people need to learn when downloading free software. Users really need to carefully read and make customized and individualized decisions when installing software and using its features.

I'm sorry for your troubles, but I think in the long run, this bad experience will be a good thing, causing you to be more likely to notice when you can adjust things to fit your preferences when installing and using software.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 23:41   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Yep... while you're installing Winamp look close.... you have the option of not installing crap. Just uncheck some boxes during the install and you won't get the extra "goodies" that will install by default.

A lot of freeware is like that. You'll get an option to not install toolbars and spammy stuff if you are paying attention. This is considered a legitimate business practice because you do have the option.

Winamp messing up track tags? Haven't heard of that. Never happened to me. Itunes and Winamp always played nice together for me. If I were to say which one was more buggy, I'd go with itunes.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 01:12   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
If I were to say which one was more buggy, I'd go with itunes.
^What he said.

Personally I choose not to use iTunes for that and other reasons, but really, WinAMP isn't really buggy these days. With the exception of AVS crashes (or a few odd and rare third party plugins), it has always been rock solid in my opinion.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 21:06   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't know how you wipe out all your track tags.............

Sounds like a human error ... Dave...

One thing I do when I think about it, is make my whole music folder read only. New stuff that gets ripped isn't, but the majority of the archive is read only. That keeps me from doing anything stupid. I also have a backup.

If Winamp does contain the track-tag-killer you would have avoided the problem with good computer practices... like having a backup...

No EULA on any program in existence promises not to shred your data. Your hardware can blow a gasket. Windows can fry out. That's why you make backups.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 12:22   #10
ChrisLenga

I've never heard of winamp messing with track information, unless of course you were using a thirty party tagging plugin that did something wacky with your library. That or maybe you were using a pirated version of pro. I've heard those can really do some damage.

Good tip on the read only, though I've never had to worry about any of that.
ChrisLenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist