Old 25th March 2003, 02:50   #161
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
ogg video? Something like that is out... OGM.

DivX or XviD video, and ogg audio. 2xStereo audio (for anime, this means stereo english and stereo japanese language). Also supports subtitles.

Ive downloaded several OGM video files. Its like ripping the whole episode of a DVD to a 250 meg file. High quality video, your choice between the dub or sub of the anime, and subtitles.

Quite nice.

Last edited by SSJ4 Gogitta; 25th March 2003 at 04:00.
Old 25th March 2003, 04:11   #162
xVariable

@graigsmith:

1) Do you work at Nullsoft or on the Winamp project? No? Maybe you are a lawer then. No? In that case, I'll dismiss your "helpful input" as pointless non-relevant heresy. You don't mind, do you, if I throw your comments in the garbage till I've heard from the dev team (especially given the way you put them)?

2) What exactly is the point of your negative attitude? Was it what I said or how I said it that gave you the idea it would be useful to reply with such a bullshit negative tone? This is, of course, a rhetorical question, since I know the real reason why you lashed-out like that:

3) Your negative tone was an attempt at using verbal guerilla tactics to stifle any talk of implementing support for any format other than those Open Source. OS is great but, newflash: in the real world, people have the need and desire to have playback support of proprietary formats. If it can be done (and be done legally), why not provide the support natively in WA, so the user needn't load a whole other player to view the format? Oh wait, it's because if it were that way, people like you couldn't impose their political agendas on everyone else. After all, if you can win the minds of the dev team and convince them not to support 'x' proprietary format, you satisfy your narrow, self-interested idiology. In the mean time, the lion's share of the userbase are left without a much sought after functionality and convenience, waiting months and years for the open source community to to get its act together and hack together some half-assed effort in their spare time, that barely executes, let alone runs effciently (resource-wise) and barely provides the most basic functionality. Boost your desire for the proliferation of OS formats all you like, but don't try to quash demand and interest in support for other formats with verbal abuse. Your tactics are transparent.

Not withstanding my last point, the second half of which I'm sure many here will take issue with, I think I speak for everyone when I say your negativity is neither wanted nor useful. To everyone else: I apologize for my own attitude, but I think you'll agree everything was fine till "graigsmith" decided he'd incite a flame war. I will now go back to "nice person mode", unless of course what's-his-name cares to continue with the bs.

Last edited by xVariable; 25th March 2003 at 04:28.
Old 25th March 2003, 04:13   #163
Kaneda

any chance to see realmedia and quicktime support via their activex controls a la Media Player Classic (not the Microsoft-one but the lookalike one with many more features: http://vobsub.edensrising.com/mpc.php )
Old 25th March 2003, 04:37   #164
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
I think I speak for everyone when I say your negativity is neither wanted nor useful.
Speak for yourself, and lower that tone a bit. You're getting awfully close to flaming.
Old 25th March 2003, 04:51   #165
xVariable

@wildrose-wally:

Tell it to "graigsmith" there, wally, someone that apparently went out of his way to resgister just now so he could flame me. Pathetic? Where is your chastizing of him? I guess you liked his message more than mine (and the fact that he put it in such flaming terms didn't register in your mind, apparently. I mean, if I came close to flaming (which I didn't), he hit it right on the mark.)
Old 25th March 2003, 05:25   #166
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I don't see anything close to flaming in his post, so cut it out already.
Old 25th March 2003, 05:43   #167
xVariable

@wildrose-wally:

Don't tell me I have to point you to dictionary.com for the definition of a flame:

Quote:
...remark meant to incite anger, as on a computer network.
Quote:
To make insulting criticisms or remarks, as on a computer network, to incite anger.
Quote:
To insult or criticize provokingly, as on a computer network.
Of course, if a person will not see how his remarks were flaming in intent and design, nothing anyone says will change anything. Actually, check that: I go back to what I said earlier, namely that his negative manner was meant not to illicit a proactive response, but rather to get me to stop talking about the subject. I don't take kindly to that sort of thing, willy. I will not shut up about it and, frankly, you can't make me. Deal with it.
Old 25th March 2003, 06:03   #168
Dracil

anyone else can confirm/deny whether or not the library uses IDv3 tags to decide the artist/title/album instead of by filename/directory?

It would be weird if it really was my setting WinXP to use Japanese that's causing the problems. Especially since the Media Library is the component that actually recognizes the Japanese.
Old 25th March 2003, 06:22   #169
peppert
UID 0

um, you may put your penises back in your pants now. this database is large enough without these kinds of contests.

to answer your question, xvariable, it would be illegal for winamp to support playback of the real or quicktime formats, since bundling the playback libraries of those formats is prohibited by the companies which own them.

Yes, it's certainly technically possible. No, it won't be legally possible for us to do in the reasonable future.
Old 25th March 2003, 06:58   #170
Synthet1k

Feature request..

[this is my 1st post]

I think it'd be cool to have an 'Open Containing Folder' type of option when you right click on a file in the playlist/library.

I'd like this because it'd allow me to navigate to the folder containing that particular file more quickly, letting me delete/edit etc.

I think it'd be best implemented in the media library as that is where the music is mostly organized.

an option to physically remove a file from the HD in the media library could also work, with a 2nd window for confirmation of delete, so no one dletes any files on accident i like this idea better than the open containing folder one hehe

just an idea i thought i'd share.

[PS, great work on 2.9b2 nullsoft, its very nice!!!]
Old 25th March 2003, 07:01   #171
skinme!
Forum King

Despite the outbreak above, sense will be restored to the forums:

I asked in the old thread why, once one video has finished, if it's in a playlist with only other videos, the next one doesn't start despite shuf, rep, automatic playlist advance being on. This doesn't happen if you have a mix of vids and music or if you have just music.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
Old 25th March 2003, 07:02   #172
skinme!
Forum King

Sythentik, this can be done from the playlist, so it should be an easy feature for them to implement. Good one.

Old 25th March 2003, 07:11   #173
Dracil

Hmm, after some experimentation with the Japanese Language Pack, it seems that the default skin for Winamp 2.9 does not support Japanese (but the default 2.81 skin does!)

Thankfully the 2.9 Beacon skin as well as the "42" skin work (even though 42 doesn't have a skinned ML)
Old 25th March 2003, 07:13   #174
xVariable

@Tom:

Caca! Oh well, guess we'll all just have to "suffer" under the status quo.

/me goes back to watching Tom's Tivo.
Old 25th March 2003, 07:49   #175
xVariable

Quote:
Originally posted by peppert
...since bundling the playback libraries of those formats is prohibited by the companies which own them.
I just reread what you wrote. I apologize if it seems I can't let a thing go, but I hope you understand I have the best interests of WA and it's users at heart here.

We're not talking about including the decoding libraries for these formats, we're really just talking about interfacing the libaries that get installed when you install Real Player or Quick Time player. Like Kaneda said above, it could be done via the activex controls. Apple and Real might not like it, but this is a capability they provide, by design, in their players, so as far as I can see there is no issue of legality. How can it be illegal if they've designed their software to be interfaced in this way? We're talking merely about providing front-end to a set of libraries, the interface to which they've designed and implemented for exactly that purpose. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a developer myself. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I remain open to correction.

In the end, if Nullsoft cannot or will not do this, I suppose I could write an in_dll that bridges the in_dshow with the QT and Real media decoding libraries (presupposing I can find the time).
Old 25th March 2003, 07:54   #176
Synthet1k

yeah id really use it as i have quite a bit of duplicate songs all over my hds and im too lazy to go through and find em and organize em, but itd be really easy to do it through the ML.

hmm...what other features are there (or is it are there not? ) that could be added...[thinks]

Could it be implemented where the ML keeps its position when you close it and restart it?

say you're looking at songs only from Iron Maiden, that when you close winamp and open it back up, it'll still be in the same albums/files/sectionthing that you were in when you closed it.

also, maybe a feature in the media library to search your hds and add files by itself (so you don't have to go through and add them all yourself if they're all over the place, like in WMP9). not that big of a deal but might be of some good to new users.

ah and maybe a 'go to in libray' type of feature for the playlist editor, so it would go to the album/song/file in the media library automatically so you dont have to go and find it on your own.

nothing groundbreaking here..just some ideas...its hard to think of additions when its already so....perfect

that's all for now.
Old 25th March 2003, 08:08   #177
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Just wanted to say...

(rename to .ogg)

Attached Files
File Type: zip pwnt.zip (94.2 KB, 192 views)

Old 25th March 2003, 09:22   #178
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

incidentally, OGM isnt the ogg video format. you kind of screwed up that statement when you said it used divx or xvid.

Old 25th March 2003, 09:29   #179
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Re: Comments and requests

Quote:
Originally posted by xVariable
2) Is it possible to make the horizontal and vertical scrollbars in the Media Library look the same as the Playlist scrollbar? For that matter, for the sake of consistency the scrollbars in the Minibrowser should look like the PL bars too
you have no idea how strongly i agree. we were told that they should be windows style because it's more like windows and that's good, and whilst i can see that logic to some extent, i believe consistency with the pl would be more important, and the fact that stretchable sliders are a bitch to skin
Old 25th March 2003, 09:37   #180
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
incidentally, OGM isnt the ogg video format. you kind of screwed up that statement when you said it used divx or xvid.
'tis why i said something like that.

Old 25th March 2003, 10:44   #181
Christophe
Sexaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by xVariable
We're not talking about including the decoding libraries for these formats, we're really just talking about interfacing the libaries that get installed when you install Real Player or Quick Time player. Like Kaneda said above, it could be done via the activex controls. Apple and Real might not like it, but this is a capability they provide, by design, in their players, so as far as I can see there is no issue of legality.
Install RealOne and read the license (that nobody reads) at install. It specifically says that the ONLY applications allowed to use their ActiveX control are Internet Explorer and their player.

-Christophe

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Old 25th March 2003, 13:57   #182
FMulder

Send a message via ICQ to FMulder
I have the same problem that dracil reports... in ML I haven't one mp3 named correctly! my mp3s are tagged with both id3 versions and they are named in this formats:

1) artist\album\tracknr - title.mp3 if I have the complete album
2) artist\title.mp3 if I haven't

In the media library in case 1 I have all named correctly except artist field, that is empty.

In case 2 I have the album field filled with the artist name, and the artist field empty.

I have the artist field filled up with something (wrong..) only if there is a '-' in the folder that directly contains the mp3...
for example, if I have:
F:\Mp3\E\Elton John\One night only - the greatest hits\03 - Don't Go Breaking Me Heart (with Kiki Dee).mp3
in media library I have:
- Artist: One night only
- Album: the greatest hits

It would be cool if we have the possibility to specify to read id3s or parse path and filename, and, in this case, to specify the format of the filenames... more or less like happens in mp3 tag studio, but here it's used only for generating the media library.

A wish... why don't you put the possibility to show in the playlist the field of id3s you want? I have to put the tracknr of many mp3s directly in the Title field because there isn't the possibility to select which field show.
Just an option in the preferences that make us write something like: "%artist - (%tracknr) %title - %album" or similar!

Thank you for your support and your great work guys!
(sorry 4 my bad english )
Old 25th March 2003, 14:11   #183
Lion King
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by FMulder
A wish... why don't you put the possibility to show in the playlist the field of id3s you want? I have to put the tracknr of many mp3s directly in the Title field because there isn't the possibility to select which field show.
Just an option in the preferences that make us write something like: "%artist - (%tracknr) %title - %album" or similar!
ctrl+p > preferences > plugins > input > nullsoft mpeg audio decoder ... > configure > title
Old 25th March 2003, 14:16   #184
FMulder

Send a message via ICQ to FMulder
Quote:
Originally posted by Lion King
ctrl+p > preferences > plugins > input > nullsoft mpeg audio decoder ... > configure > title
ehm... I'm embarrassed... since which version is this thing in??

thx
Old 25th March 2003, 14:27   #185
ujay
Forum King

Have the changes in Winamp CD broken the CDReader plug-in does anyone know ?
Tried using it and no drives are reported in left click menu or media library. (using Win2k btw)

I've been pushed back to using CDReader again because Winamp has no support for either of the common CD databases, and I can't find any way of getting the data into Winamp short of typing it all in again (a high percentage of my CDs don't appear on CDDB).

As a personal opinion - this would have been a perfect opportunity to drop Gracenote and go over to freedb, it seems to me the balance is no longer in Gracenotes favour anymore.
My own choice for a database would be the 'local CDDB' format as it does not have the size restrictions of cdplayer.ini, you can even import the whole of the online database if you want (though there's little point with a strong internet connection or you have a program that can search it)

UJ
Old 25th March 2003, 14:57   #186
blahblahbling

I'd just like to restate the point I made in the Beta 1 thread, that the video playback in WA2 is very slow. As reported by Delicates, EAK125 and badrad, WA2's CPU usage is far higher that WMP's (around double for me).

On my 350MHz machine, a video that plays fine in WMP6.4 (around 60% CPU usage) maxes out the CPU and runs very slowly under WA2. This makes it unusable as a video player for me, which is a shame because it would be great to be able to ditch Media Player completely and use Winamp for all my audio and video files.

Interestingly though, WA2's performance doesn't really vary between 16 and 32 bit desktop colour depths (like WMP does - and should), and in 32 bit mode, WA2's performance isn't that far behind WMP's.

I think that it's a video rendering problem rather than a decoding problem, as the actual drawing of the video frames is quite noticeable - it's almost like I'm back to running an old ISA video card again...

Anyway, great work with Winamp2, just remember the main reason people use it over Winamp3 is that it's fast, and if the video performance could be improved that would be brilliant!
Old 25th March 2003, 15:19   #187
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Have the changes in Winamp CD broken the CDReader plug-in does anyone know? Tried using it and no drives are reported in left click menu or media library. (using Win2k btw)
Yes. Looks like Copah will need to release an updated (2.9 compatible) version.
Quote:
I've been pushed back to using CDReader again because Winamp has no support for either of the common CD databases, and I can't find any way of getting the data into Winamp...
Wonder if it's possible to implement a "use cdplayer.ini" option in in_cdda config? Probably breaks the Gracenote licence/agreement ?!
Good points overall UJ. I'll leave it for someone else to respond accordingly.
Old 25th March 2003, 16:27   #188
A Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Christophe
Install RealOne and read the license (that nobody reads) at install. It specifically says that the ONLY applications allowed to use their ActiveX control are Internet Explorer and their player.

-Christophe
If someone wants to write a plugin for Real or Apple, they shouldn't use the limited ActiveX controls anyway... they would need to get the SDK's for each. AND to get the SDK's, you must agree to abide by the legal terms set forth. Thus, the reason these formats will probably never be supported in WA... unless AOLTW ever gets in bed with Real/QT.
Old 25th March 2003, 16:42   #189
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
... Wonder if it's possible to implement a "use cdplayer.ini" option in in_cdda config? Probably breaks the Gracenote licence/agreement ?! ...
Might not be against Gracenote rules if it only goes one way, cdplayer.ini >>> Winamp but not Winamp >>> cdplayer.ini. That's all I'm looking for really. I think Gracenotes main concern is that there is no way of transfering their records to freedb.

UJ
Old 25th March 2003, 16:59   #190
flox

Yeah, I have the exact same problem as FMulder and dracil. The library just refuses to read my id3 tags both v1 and v2. Instead it gets the info from the filename. I have english winXP by the way.
Old 25th March 2003, 17:04   #191
Wish
Major Dude

http://news.com.com/2100-1027-993928...g=fd_lede2_hed

Quote:
America Online is expected to announce that it will replace RealNetworks with Dolby as the default audio streaming technology for its narrowband Net radio service, according to Dolby.
That answers your question?
Old 25th March 2003, 17:41   #192
skinme!
Forum King

Well, AOLTW owns Nullsoft who just made NSV... why do they need Dolby?

Old 25th March 2003, 17:57   #193
Disturbed_Chaos

when playing videos on all i get is the audio.
Old 25th March 2003, 19:07   #194
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
Here's the Video Info I was asked for by Christophe.
First off all my previous tests were done with video overlay on, allow YV12, synch video to refresh, etc. (all except my screen is shapped checkbox) and all at 32 bit color.
The following tests were with Overlay on/off and YV12 on/off in 32b and 16b color (I don't have 24b option so couldn't test that). All the files are exactly the same ones I used before so the numbers should be accurate.
For the purpose of the following test ONLY will I stoop to changing my desktop to ::shudder:: 16 bit color. You had better realize that this is quite a gesture for me to go to such "depths" (pun intended).

File1: 69.9mb mpeg
File2: 104mb AVI
File3: 75.7mb mpeg
File4: 20.6mb AVI

Settings--------------File1------File2------File3------File4
WMP6.2 16b----------18-30%---35-50%---15-30%---15-25%
WA 16b Over/YV12----45-65%---70-85%---35-55%---43-55%
WA 16b Overlay only--30-55%---70-80%---40-60%---40-60%
WA 16b No Overlay---40-65%---75-95%---50-70%---55-70%
WA 32b Overlay only--35-60%---70-85%---35-60%---40-55%
WA 32b No Overlay---45-65%---80-90%---45-70%---55-70%
From Previous Post for Reference:
WA 32b Over/YV12----35-60%---65-80%---30-60%---40-50%
WMP6.2 32b----------18-30%---30-35%---18-30%---10-25%

Notice that Winamp takes HIGHER cpu in 16 bit on my GF4 420 hitting 95% on one file!!! Where WMP6.2 plays the same in 16b or 32b. WMP is always half CPU or lower.
Once again Duron 1ghz, 382mb ram, GF4 420, Audigy MP3+, 40GIG+ free HD

If asked for I am willing to test the same files with overlay on/off, YV12 on/off along with synch to vid card on/off to look for change in CPU.

(EAK)

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1

Last edited by EAK125; 25th March 2003 at 19:23.
Old 25th March 2003, 19:18   #195
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
Yo Disturbed_Chaos, If you want help people are gonna need more info - What Version of winamp 2.9beta2 (lite, Full, standard) what types of files (mpeg, Divx, Xvid), What's your settings, and what's your hardware then maybe someone can find a solution.

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1
Old 25th March 2003, 20:05   #196
Dracil

Thanks flox and FMulder for the extra confirmations that there is a problem with the ML.
Old 25th March 2003, 20:46   #197
Christophe
Sexaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by EAK125
Here's the Video Info I was asked for by Christophe.
Thanks a lot EAK! So yes, if you could do a quick test (no need for different desktop bpp changes, 32bpp should be just fine) with "sync to vcard" on/off, that'd be great =)

-Christophe

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Old 25th March 2003, 20:50   #198
GrAwL

Send a message via ICQ to GrAwL Send a message via AIM to GrAwL
I found this bug when pressing the "Show desktop" button in Windows XP, using both Winamp 2.9 beta 1 and beta 2. When Winamp is open, and not minimized to the taskbar, and you press the "Show desktop", Winamp begins to blink like something happened to the window.
Old 25th March 2003, 21:54   #199
dylman
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Christophe
Thanks a lot EAK! So yes, if you could do a quick test (no need for different desktop bpp changes, 32bpp should be just fine) with "sync to vcard" on/off, that'd be great =)

-Christophe
Just a quick note on my experience:

Playing a DivX movie with "Sync video to video card" ON, results in Winamp using 40-55% CPU as reported by Task Manager.

"Sync video" OFF results in usage 20-35%, broadly the same as WMP6.4

DivX 5.02 file: 720x330, 1.9Gb, encoded by me (GKnot 0.27).
Computer: XP2400+, XP SP1, 1Gb RAM, desktop: 1280x960x32

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
Old 26th March 2003, 02:18   #200
Zubs

Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but the library refuses to believe that 112 is a group and not a track number, even if the ID3 tag sez so. Figured out 2pac though. There a way to turn this lil piece of AI off when you scan a drive? (I rarely want to hear track 12 of a specific CD, or if i do I put the cd in my cd player).
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions