Old 26th March 2003, 04:29   #201
xVariable

Quote:
Originally posted by Christophe
Install RealOne and read the license... It specifically says that the ONLY applications allowed to use their ActiveX control are Internet Explorer and their player.
Yet another reason why I'll constinue to stick with 8.0 and upgrade just the codecs if/when possible. Classy, Real Networks, true to form. As an aside Christophe: I haven't looked at the QT licence, do you know what it says. If Real Networks forbids direct support but Apple doesn't, surely only good can come from supporting QT. Maybe it would pressure Real to allow third party players to interface with their libraries.

Quote:
Originally posted by A Plugin Developer
If someone wants to write a plugin for Real or Apple, they shouldn't use the limited ActiveX controls anyway... they would need to get the SDK's for each. AND to get the SDK's, you must agree to abide by the legal terms set forth. Thus, the reason these formats will probably never be supported in WA... unless AOLTW ever gets in bed with Real/QT.
Surely you must know there are multiple third party plugins available for Winamp already that support Quick Time and Real formats? I haven't looked at exactly how they're doing it, but I do know they're somehow interfacing with the decoder libraries that get installed when you install those players. How? Via Active X controls? I don't know, but I do know those plugins are sufficiently functional that you can load and play files using those formats, and more. Before you ask "why not just use existing plugins then?", refer to my intial post on page 5, so we avoid an endless circular exchange. Like I said, if worst comes to worst, I may roll up my own sleeves and write the code myself if I can find the time, I just think it'd be better if Nullsoft did it (if/when/where possible, in this particular case).
Old 26th March 2003, 05:33   #202
ohhjebus

wow, i can't believe i didn't find out beta2 was out until now. The media library looks sweet.

My question is is there any way to create your own collapseable category in the media library? Along the lines of Local Media and playlists? I would love to be able to create a collapseable category exclusively to contain any cds i have on my computer, seperate from local media. That way they are all there but don't take up any space.
That extra bit of flexability would be tip top.

Tinkering around with the library i couldn't find a way to do this, so if you can, how? and if you can't, then try and develop that?
Old 26th March 2003, 05:33   #203
sanosuke
Major Dude

attached is the quick time lisence agreement.
Attached Files
File Type: txt apple.txt (10.2 KB, 146 views)

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 26th March 2003, 06:21   #204
skinme!
Forum King

GRaWl, I get the Minimise to Desktop (or Ctrl+M) blink behaviour too. Bloody attention seeker!

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
Old 26th March 2003, 07:49   #205
jesseg

I was in winamp just a sec ago, and I pressed down on the scrollwheel (mouse3) and scrolled to my excitement and joy at what happened.

Is this something new to 2.9?? or am I clueless...
Old 26th March 2003, 08:06   #206
A Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by xVariable
Surely you must know there are multiple third party plugins available for Winamp already that support Quick Time and Real formats? I haven't looked at exactly how they're doing it, but I do know they're somehow interfacing with the decoder libraries that get installed when you install those players. How? Via Active X controls? I don't know, but I do know those plugins are sufficiently functional that you can load and play files using those formats, and more. Before you ask "why not just use existing plugins then?", refer to my intial post on page 5, so we avoid an endless circular exchange. Like I said, if worst comes to worst, I may roll up my own sleeves and write the code myself if I can find the time, I just think it'd be better if Nullsoft did it (if/when/where possible, in this particular case).
Surely you must look at the web sites where these 3rd party plugins exist... right? Why don't you go ahead and make your own plugin with ActiveX controls... oh and don't forget to pass the audio data to Winamp for the DSP, output, and visualization plugins. I'd like to see how you do that with ActiveX controls that don't give you access to the audio data. Good luck!
Old 26th March 2003, 08:13   #207
Disturbed_Chaos

Full and just any dont work avi mpeg i have the nimo codec pack installed so i shouidnt have any problems with codecs.
Old 26th March 2003, 08:26   #208
sanosuke
Major Dude

actually if wa2 video is anything like wa3 video then nimo codex pack is a problem.

ur better get the direct show drivers at this page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=131530

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 26th March 2003, 08:49   #209
Disturbed_Chaos

Quote:
ur better get the direct show drivers at this page:
done that and its still no video just audio
Old 26th March 2003, 08:51   #210
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
get GSpot and see what codec the video needs.

Old 26th March 2003, 08:52   #211
Disturbed_Chaos

it was because it wasnt on 32bit colour it was on 16bit now it works
Old 26th March 2003, 08:59   #212
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4_Gogitta
get GSpot and see what codec the video needs.
Thanks for the link.
Old 26th March 2003, 09:27   #213
Jamar

Hi,
I'm also having video performance problems. But for me it seems to be connected with video overlay.
Here is CPU usage:

MPEG-1 (352x288):
WMP6.2 - 19-37%
WA2.9 overlay on - 24-43%
WA2.9 overlay off - around 95% (video is slow)

AVI DIVX (352x288):
WMP6.2 - 22-34%
WA2.9 overlay on - 19-32%
WA2.9 overlay off - 85-95% (video is slow)

That should be OK with overlay enabled, but my problem is that it sometimes start like with overlay disabled (high CPU usage & slow video). So i must restart video playback or go to video options and disable and enable again video overlays. Similar problem is when resizing video window. When I make it bigger, its OK, but when I try to make it smaller than original size, it again starts getting slow with high CPU and it stays like that even though I resize it back to default size. I must then also disable / enable overlay. But that donesn't work with smaller video window, it stays always slow.

My PC is Notebook 433MHz Celeron with 160MB RAM, graphics card is NeoMagic 128XD, res. 800x600x16bpp.
Old 26th March 2003, 11:24   #214
xVariable

Quote:
Originally posted by A Plugin Developer
Surely you must look at the web sites where these 3rd party plugins exist... right? Why don't you go ahead and make your own plugin with ActiveX controls... oh and don't forget to pass the audio data to Winamp for the DSP, output, and visualization plugins. I'd like to see how you do that with ActiveX controls that don't give you access to the audio data. Good luck!
Very useful indeed. I tell you I'm not sure exactly how the current plugins are working, but that I may roll-up my own sleeves and write a plugin myself. You respond by suggesting I make my own plugin, and sarcastically suggest I try to do it properly by accessing the Active X controls. Frankly, I trying to understanding exactly how your response was in any way useful. The only new information you offered was clarifying just how limited the Active X controls are, but you put it in pretty much the most derrogatory way possible, stopping short of calling me an idiot or something. It appears your main purpose was to cause friction for pretty much all the wrong reasons, not to communicate useful ideas on the subject. It's clear I'm dealing with a quality, "smart" human being here. Nice job.
Old 26th March 2003, 11:42   #215
PJay Tycy

@ xVariable: Could you please discuss the QT / Real Audio topic in another thread? The support of these formats has nothing to do with the special new functionality of winamp2.9 beta2. I like the facts that you're convinced of the possibility to include it and you're searching on how to do it, but...

It just seems to me this could be in any update of winamp2 and not specially in this 2.9. You're actually using the popularity of this thread to post about an ordinary feature request.

about 2.9b2 now, in order of importance to me:
1)The medialibrary is not reading the ID3 tags, but guessing the info by the directory structure and filename = BAD
2)A "refresh", "rescan" or "update" - button, which adds new files in your music directories to the library (could replace the compact library button)
3)General video: it's just not mature enough yet. At least try to solve these 2 problems: subtitle support and the flipped movies.

Other than that, I guess I'll have to play with the library a little more to get more used to the pro's and the con's of it.
Old 26th March 2003, 11:45   #216
Stratyon

Playlist editor

Are the playlist editor from Winamp3 comming back?
I don't see how the media library can be seen as a replacement since it really is just the same as Windows Explorer...
I mean all you can do is see the files, and transfer them from there into Winamp... you can do the exact same thing by going through folders in Windows Explorer and srag-drop files into Winamp...

What I would like to see is the return of the sidecar with some added functionality. In addition to the alt-queue I would like to see the ability to queue files between playlists. And maybe even queueing and shuffle'ing the playlists. And also the option that when one playlist is finished playing it automatically skips to the next one.
The playlist editor was the best thing about Winamp3. please don't take it away.
Old 26th March 2003, 14:01   #217
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Stratyon
Winamp3 still exists and is still being developed. Internal build #498 was just released and builds #499+ are still being worked on...
Winamp3 currently has got nothing to do with Winamp 2.90 or Winamp 2.x
2.90 is the update from 2.81

Read, the proposed hybrid player (WA2 meets WA3), currently referred to as Winamp5 (actual name undecided), will eventually include all the best loved features from both platforms.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=129224
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=129085
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=127597

btw, I think you've underestimated the full potential of the ML
Old 26th March 2003, 15:11   #218
SweWiLLiE

Quote:
Originally posted by PJay Tycy
[B
1)The medialibrary is not reading the ID3 tags, but guessing the info by the directory structure and filename = BAD
[/B]
Are you talking about ID3v1?
ML reads my ID3v2 tags perfectly...

Seems that some people are having problems with their
ID3 tags... I find that strange since ML reads mine correctly.
Old 26th March 2003, 15:15   #219
zootm
Forum King

all of my ID3v1 tags were read correctly. it seems like it might be something specific about some people's systems?

Old 26th March 2003, 15:39   #220
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

me too (or should I say "me three", hehe)
All id3 tags are read ok (whether v1 or v2)

The only entries which don't display correctly for me, are those without id3 tags, where it's trying to read the info from the filename instead, and more specifically if there's a hyphen in the artist name.
eg. if the artist (at the beginning of the filename) is "mu-Ziq" and there's no ID3 tags, then the ML is assuming that the artist is "Mu" and the Album is "Ziq". The only way to correct this is to enter an id3 tag.
I also assume that the ML won't be much use (or cetainly won't be too accurate) for people who don't use any id3 tags. Then again, the same applies to most other players, including WMP and Real which both base the library metadata on id3 tag info... yes/no/maybe?
Old 26th March 2003, 16:15   #221
ohhjebus

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
@ohhjebus

You can create another view under Local Media. For me I rip all my CDs to "C:\Meida\Albums\"

On Local Media right click and select "And New View..."

For example I used:
filename has Albums

basically use somthing like "filename has " and a unique part of the directory structure.
Yeah i saw how to do that, which is awsome. When you do that the new view comes up under local media. But i was thinking more along the lines of something else. If you double click on the word Local media or Playlists, it collapses and all of the things contained in it dissappear. I want to be able to create my own collapseable container for views like that.
For me i would call it Complete CDs, and then inside it I would put views for all my complete albums, so i can get to a specific cd in like 3 clicks. Since it would be collapseable when i wasn't thinking about cds, i wouldn't have to see them.

Obviously not a crucial feature, but i think it would be neat.
Old 26th March 2003, 16:21   #222
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Agreed!
Old 26th March 2003, 16:47   #223
flox

I did some testing, and the not reading id3 tags must be system specific. On my mother's computer it does read the id3 tags from the exact same files.

Well here is my system info, maybe others who have these problems can post it to:

Pentium 4 1,8ghz
Gigabyte GA-8IRX
512MB DDR ram
Ati Radeon 8500 64mb
Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024
2 3COM Nic's
Adaptec SCSI card

need more info?
Old 26th March 2003, 17:16   #224
skinme!
Forum King

Personally, I think the worst thing about WA3 was the playlist system.. but that's just my personal view. The neat thing was the plug... sorry component which added a Queue sidecar.

[edit, inserted by mod => DJEgg]
huh? what's this got to with Winamp 2.90 beta2 ???
And why do you talk of Winamp3 in the past tense?
Why are people even comparing Winamp3 with Winamp 2.90b?
[/edit]

There, are you happy now?

Old 26th March 2003, 18:23   #225
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
Okay. Found 2 bugs not related to video or the ml (or even .9b2!) Know you guys are excited. Woo.
Small illustration attached.
  • Right clicking on the vis display in either the main or pl windows pops up a skin selection menu instead of the vis selection menu. Note that all of my skins aren't displayed in this menu. Huh. Interesting.
  • Using the open function, I opened all of the files (1581) in one of my music directories. In WA2 it completes the operation, but hasn't loaded all of the files, and.. as you can see in the ss, it always stops on the same file (and doesn't display it's whole name or allow playback of it). In WA3, it gives a weird warning and doesn't actually load anything.
Okay so.. The second "bug" is obviously more of a Windows issue, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. It's not that big of a deal either.. Most people would probably be much more likely to add mass files using the directory command. I won't even bore you with what happens if I get rid of that (#522) song. Heh. Unless prompted. *g* Just take my word that this has nothing to do with that particular file.
Also, possibly worth noting: makes no difference if sort on load is on/off; all the files are wavs.

Backontopic: Awesome job on 2.9 so far, Nullsofties! Thanks for letting us use it for free!
Attached Images
File Type: png ablueh.png (54.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 26th March 2003, 18:39   #226
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Can't reproduce the first bug either.
Got any gen_*.dll's installed perhaps?
Old 26th March 2003, 18:48   #227
gsking1again

2.9 beta2 ID3v2 GENRE writing bug ?

I think i've found a bug in 2.9beta2 relating to ID3V2 tags writing. When saving file information as ID3V2 a number is attached to the GENRE. For example when SAVING genre information as 'Alternative' it ends up being displayed in ML as '(20)Alternative'. If this field is blank or ID3V2 is not present, the 'Alternative' in ID3v1 is correct. I assume it is therefore reading and wriID3V1 tags fine.

Previously tagged files (mostly from Tag&Rename, earlier versions of winamp and WM9) all seem to be imported and displayed correctly.

Thanks for the great work. The new ML is exactly what I was hoping you would add.

Geoff

[edit]
moved from wa2-bugs forum and merged here => DJEgg
Old 26th March 2003, 19:28   #228
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
I'm Back and now with my Overlay, yv12, Synch To Vid Card rates in 32b.
Settings----------------------File1--------File2--------File3--------File4
WMP6.4----------------------18-30%-----30-50%-----18-30%-----10-25%
WA2.9 All On-----------------35-60%-----65-80%-----30-60%-----40-50%
WA Over, YV12, no STVC-----10-25%-----45-65%-----15-30%-----20-30%
WA Over, NO YV12, No STVC-10-25%-----50-65%-----10-30%-----15-25%
WA All Off-------------------15-30%-----75-90%-----20-40%-----35-45%

Now for conclusions - if you have synch to vid card on now turn it off and half you cpu usage. With it off I am getting CPU rates equal to WMP. With overlay on that is. Turn off overlay and things slow down again. Having YV12 on or not dosn't seem to matter with anything but video look (and it does look better with it on).
There you have it folks Synch To Video Card Refresh Rate is the CPU Killer (at least on my machine).

(damn you dylman for beating me to it...)

(EAK)

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1
Old 26th March 2003, 19:41   #229
D&B
Banned

Ah, but Sync to Video Card Refresh Rate is important to me because it stops "tearing" of the video.
Old 26th March 2003, 20:29   #230
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
Is there anyway that the synch feature can be less cpu intensive? Nullsoft guys could you put it on your list of things to do. (after your bug fixes of course)

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1
Old 26th March 2003, 20:37   #231
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
@DJEgg: No but I went back and narrowed it down.. it only occurs if in_dshow.dll isn't loaded. (I disabled all the video plugins just to make sure WA would be okay without them.) It's not that big of a deal at all.. but, a bug nonetheless.
Old 26th March 2003, 20:41   #232
Delicates

Send a message via ICQ to Delicates
For me synch doesn't affect CPU usage much.

Playing an MPEG file:

WMP9 - about 30%
WA2 with synch - around 70%
WA2 without synch - around 60%

This is on Celeron 466 (no SSE or 3DNow!)

There's definately some bottleneck between WA and DirectShow. As I'm assuming WA just passes data to DS and doesn't really do any processing/displaying itself? Maybe compiled code is not optimised for absense of SSE? Player architecture limitations? Some particular procedure/call loves CPU too much?
Old 26th March 2003, 21:35   #233
D&B
Banned

I didnt include having sync on/off in my tests. I will later tonight.
Old 26th March 2003, 22:08   #234
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
Personally, I think the worst thing about WA3 was the playlist system.. but that's just my personal view. The neat thing was the plug... sorry component which added a Queue sidecar.

[edit by moderator]
huh? what's this got to with Winamp 2.90 beta2 ???
And why do you talk of Winamp3 in the past tense?
Why are people even comparing Winamp3 with Winamp?
[/edit]
I said it in reply to Strayton. I prefer the 2.81 style PL compared to WA3 style PL. Just voicing my opposition to his point.

I used past tense because WA3 used to be installed and then I got rid of it.

Sorry, will go home now.

Old 26th March 2003, 22:14   #235
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

which mod keeps doing that?

stop it, its annoying.

Old 26th March 2003, 22:24   #236
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Oops, that was me! And I've only done it once, 'cos I couldn't be arsed to make a new (pointless) post, but now you've forced me to . . . d'oh!
Annoying eh? Hmm . . .

@skinme
If you're replying to someone in specific, then please state so.
Stratyon's post was like 8 posts above yours
It's hard enough trying to make sense out of all these non-2.9b-specific posts as it is...

btw, I've re-edited my comment in skinme's post.
I didn't edit any of skinme's comments, just added my own, that's all.
Are you happy now?

I'm outta here !!!
And I'm taking my chronic toothache with me . . . ouch!
Old 27th March 2003, 01:02   #237
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4_Gogitta
Just wanted to say...

(rename to .ogg)

hey what program did you make that in?
Old 27th March 2003, 02:03   #238
Synthet1k

bug?:

Winamp doesn't start maximized if it was minimized when it was closed prior to reopening it.

Steps to reproduce:

Open winamp, minimize to taskbar, right click on it and close it. Reopen winamp and only the media library will be maximized.

I'm not sure if this was intended in any way, if it was, then this is hardly a bug
Old 27th March 2003, 02:24   #239
Dracil

Quote:
Originally posted by flox
I did some testing, and the not reading id3 tags must be system specific. On my mother's computer it does read the id3 tags from the exact same files.

Well here is my system info, maybe others who have these problems can post it to:

Pentium 4 1,8ghz
Gigabyte GA-8IRX
512MB DDR ram
Ati Radeon 8500 64mb
Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024
2 3COM Nic's
Adaptec SCSI card

need more info?
Hmm, I think it might be more software-specific. I'm using WinXP Pro with Japanese language settings. It doesn't read tags properly from any song, whether it has tags or not, and whether it's in English or Japanese. Here are some of my hardware specs just in case it matters.

Pentium 3-800
384MB SDRAM
Geforce 4 Ti-4200
SBLive Value

EDIT: Just to test, I reinstalled Winamp3, and Winamp3's ML reads the ID tags perfectly (however, it doesn't show all the Japanese characters properly, some songs it works, some it doesn't). So something definitely broke when the ML was being made for Winamp2.9

Last edited by Dracil; 27th March 2003 at 02:48.
Old 27th March 2003, 04:33   #240
Stratyon

Another bug'ish thing...
Seemes winamp has problems with AC3 sound in video or something like that. In some cases where I have DivX with AC3 sound (I think that's the connection anyways) the movie slows down to a crawl. Not that that is strange in itself, but the odd thing is the sound slows down too. Like if you were using one of those pointless plugins that time stretches the music.
MPEG based videos works great though.

Oh and why do people keep calling me Strayton? :-P

~Stratyon
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions