Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Old 14th January 2004, 19:00   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Where are you now, people who claim marriage as sacred?

This was brought up in an article in my college newspaper, and it made sense.

So many people are against gay marriage because marriage is a sacred ritual between two people who love each other and all that, but where are you now? Brittney Spears just went and married a friend on a whim, and filed for an annulment not 48 hours later. Where are you people? Is this not a mockery of the sacred-ness of marriage? Why is there no protest against her on this, yet two people of the same sex, who truly love one another, meet nothing but resistance when they try to make a permanent commitment to one another?
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 19:09   #2
Mike H.
Forum Esperantist
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to Mike H.
Well, what are we supposed to do about it? It happened, it's over, and we can't change it.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 19:10   #3
sandb937
Major Dude

so what exactaly is your question?

sandb937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 19:15   #4
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
where are they? they bitch and moan every time a gay couple tries to get married, every time a law that might allow it comes up, but now one of their own has made a mockery of it. Where are they? Why are they not condeming her as they did the governments that allowed gay marriages to take place?
Old 14th January 2004, 19:18   #5
Mike H.
Forum Esperantist
(Major Dude)

How would you make a marriage like hers illegal?
Old 14th January 2004, 19:37   #6
sandb937
Major Dude

i personally think that marrage is a saccared bond. but i can not help what other think of it

Old 14th January 2004, 19:43   #7
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I don't know about anyone else, but I've heard that Britney IS taking a lot of heat for the whole marriage/annulment deal. I'm also not sure how Britney is "one of their own"....she's already broken her vow not to have sex before marriage, with Justin Timberlake. Based on that, and other things (madonna kiss *cough*gay?*cough* ) if I were of the "religious moral type", I'd already have excluded her from the list of "people I like".

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 19:45   #8
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

Mike, Dlink's point is that a lot of people make such a fuss about how marriage is suppose to be between a male and a female and that is its sacred and when 2 people of the same sex marry, they are making a mockery of what a marriage is suppose to be. But when Britney Spears marries a man as 'a joke gone to far' and gets a divorice not even 2 days later, no one says a damn thing about how she made a joke about being married and she made a mockery of marriage.

I completly agree with Dlink on this too.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 19:47   #9
horse-fly
Account Closed

honestly, i don't see why people should get upset over gay marriages.
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 20:03   #10
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via ICQ to Rocky Raccoon Send a message via AIM to Rocky Raccoon
As somebody living an "alternate lifestyle", I can say that I've seen same-gender couples who take being in love way more seriously than (most?) straight couples.

I have a boyfriend, we are deeply in love - though we have serious problems due to the circumnstances surrounding us. A law was recently approved in my country allowing two people to commit to a legal bond - even though it's way different than "marriage", I take it as a first step. I don't want a law that says "gay people should be allowed to marry" - I want a law that says "people should be allowed to marry regardless of gender". I don't want special laws, I just want law to be blind of gender.

I don't share the religious views of most people, I try to live a buddhist lifestyle. I see people, not gender, race, religion, politic opinion, etc., so I don't share the opinion of those who claim "God created adam and eva, not adam and adam" - to my eyes, He created everything. God is love itself, I don't think truly loving somebody will offend Him in any ways.

Salaam
Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 20:10   #11
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
Hey Rocky, nice to see you back again and to that post of yours, too!

I agree with Gonzotek, those people who complain about gay people marrying will surely complain about Britney too (I heard that a lot of people were angry at her for doign that just for fun), there are people who just need to complain about everything....

In my eyes it is a lot worse to marry just for fun and anull it after 49 hours apart from that it really makes no sense to me but then again I don't really care anymore...when 2 people love each other I think that love should be the biggest value in this equation, not what kind of gender they are...

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 20:57   #12
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Personally i think it's ok for a priest to say he won't wed (or what's the word for this) a gay couple. As far as im aware (never actually read it) the bible clearly states that a marriage is between a man and a woman.

That said, the church as a whole shouldn't prohibit the priests who want's too from doing it, should be the individual priests decition.

And in all cases, all gay couples should be allowed to merry in the townhall (or whereever you get merried outside the church in the US)
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 21:05   #13
Mike H.
Forum Esperantist
(Major Dude)

I still don't know what dlinkwit wants us to do about it, unless he wants us to just scream about it. But as I said before,

Quote:
It happened, it's over, and we can't change it.
I don't approve of Britney's joke marriage, but I can't do anything about it, and if I had known about it (which nobody did) I could not have stopped her.
Old 14th January 2004, 21:09   #14
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via ICQ to Rocky Raccoon Send a message via AIM to Rocky Raccoon
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs_Mia_Wallace
Hey Rocky, nice to see you back again and to that post of yours, too!
Ty. I'm here most of the time, only lurking

About the bible, you might wanna read it - there are a couple of gay love stories in there

Salaam
Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 21:14   #15
godoncrack
Forum King

civil mariages are done in the local courthouse cause thats where the judge is at
(in most area's legislative, executive, and judical facets are housed seperately)
but anyfuck

religion is a set of guidelines to structure society
homosexuality is by no means new
all ancient societies have written accounts of OPEN homosexuality and nobody tried to hang THEM from an apple tree
however, humans ARE animals and being such the main goal of living is to multiply and spread your genes
by not doing this you deprive the future gene pool of yourself
this is not healty for society and homosexual unions by definition are not conducive to makin babies
Fast forward to america in the early 21st century and this need not be so
Adoption and sereget(sp) fuckbuddies can enable all folk to have kids
Especially with the shockingly high teen pregnacy rate.
My 2 sense:
Give back to nature and then some
Makeum babies
Do this and you have my permission ,as granted to me by this dime bag, to be wed in blissful matrimony
godoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 21:22   #16
sandb937
Major Dude

well personal beliefs are one thing. I personally dont feel that marrage is something that should be taken lightly. I think that it is a very serious cometment that a couple makes. I think that a lot of people get married cus they can not differentiate between love and lust. and they feel that lust is love. and when the lust fades and they are there facing reality, they realize they f-ed up.

Quote:
as posted by Rocky Raccoon
About the bible, you might wanna read it - there are a couple of gay love stories in there
that is true but if you read a little further you will also see that those people are punished by God for doing so.

i personally dont agree with a same sex marrage. but its not for me to judge them either. everyone lives their own lives and i try to not get involved with their lives. they cant live mine, and probably wouldn't want to, nor i theirs. i agree with ertmann/CHP i dont think it should be in a church but if they wanted to go to the court house it should be granted.

rocky raccoon mention about a legal bond being a first step. it is the same thing as a marrage. cus that is what a marrage is, a legal bond.

Old 14th January 2004, 22:22   #17
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

we have this system, where gay couples get married at the town hall, then if their priest want's too, he can give him their blessings at a ceremony in the church afterwards. While not at all perfect, i think it's a good compromise.

We actually have a heated debate about this, going on right now, after our Prime Minister stated that he thinks gay couples should be allowed to marry in church. But only 3 of our 7 bishops aprove of it. So we're having this heated debate between the church and the parliament.

I don't really see the problem, but im pretty atheist, and if people want to believe the words of the bible, then i think they're entitled too.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 23:21   #18
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike H.
It happened, it's over, and we can't change it.
well then why the hell are we all so sad about the holocaust? and why are my tax dolalrs beign used for affiminitve action?
Old 14th January 2004, 23:44   #19
Mike H.
Forum Esperantist
(Major Dude)

Britney's marriage didn't hurt anyone. The Holocaust and bad tax policies hurt millions of people.
Old 14th January 2004, 23:54   #20
sandb937
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
well then why the hell are we all so sad about the holocaust? and why are my tax dolalrs beign used for affiminitve action?

and you can do what about either one of those things? stop paying taxes? go kill thousands of germans? nah....i dont think so its just one of those times when you just have to
SUCK IT UP and stop being a baby about things

the preceding was not ment to cause no offence to anyone

Old 15th January 2004, 00:21   #21
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Britney's marriage didn't hurt anyone. The Holocaust and bad tax policies hurt millions of people.
neither does gay marraige, but that doesn't stop people from bitching about it. That's the point. I persoally don't give two shits what spears does, nor do I caer if gays get married. The point was that I found it hypocritical that there was no uproar from teh religious fanatics about this. At least I hadn't heard her getting any heat, but I don't pay that much attention to what she does.

I shoulda put this in the bitchlist.
Old 15th January 2004, 02:49   #22
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

I just been over Yahoo and it seems as if Bono's (U2) F word caused more hassle...

marraige cost to get there and a hell of a lot more to get out ...moral? don't go there have three accounts, one that you each go in with and a joint one that you both agree to pay the bills etc shared expences into. agree that the one you had to start with has sweet fuck all to do with the other (written if you need it)

that way you both walk away with what you went in with...as for property ...sell it (if you purchased it jointly-what was yours to start with stays yours)and split it 50-50.

presents Given to each other? remains as such and that spirit should never be broken in my opinion.

Reckon a few relationships would last a lot longer with those basic agreements....cause it never would work....there's allways one who is never happy ...whatever marraige is a boring expensive concept to me anyway..If you can't make a commitment to someone without all that palaver is beyond me ..

I mean it's only a statement of saying Hey This is my Man/Woman (or whatever combination you want) It came from the old Tribal open declaration of commitment betwenn two members of a tribe...then some bright spark said Hey we can make a few bob here ..if we make them have this bit of paper and get ye guy's (the church) to marry em (of course that would be extra ) and then...etc etc etc etc........Bet I'm not much ofthe mark with that either...

Bah Marraige humbugs...but if thats your way..then hey you carry on ..it's up to the indiviuals concerent at the end of the day not some bunch of pratts in suits and dog collars to decide...I mean who the Fook do they think they are ..Morons...:rollseyes:

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 06:31   #23
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Marriage is a legal union between two persons. There are many reasons as to why create this union. Some of those reasons are: religious, combining the finacial powers of two people into one, gaurunteed sex, (or in other cases) gaurunteed abstinace.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 20:05   #24
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Maybe she just wanted to shag that night and was using the poor sap?

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 06:49   #25
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Today President Bush officially endorsed a constitutional amendment to bay gay marriage. Apparently, somehow equal rights for gay people and straight people fall outside of the definitions of freedom and equality that he preached so much at the onset of his wars. All I have to say is, George, and my fellow Americans, keep your religious beliefs, and your bigotry, the fuck out of my constitution. That's a document meant to support and guarantee freedom and equality, period.

Some believe being gay is 'unnatural.' That's false, though - it's extremely common in the animal kingdom, and throughout human history (rampant in some cultures). Plus, what is 'natural' about anything these days? Why don't we ban everything that's unnatural: pesticides, cars, television, *******euticals, etc. - and legalize everything natural: cannabis, opium, etc?

Some also believe that being gay is a 'sin'. First of all, that's a belief largely based on religion; and the last time I checked, we had an alleged separation of church and state. Second, it completely invalidates the humanity of gay people. It views them not as people, but as sub-humans busily performing deviant sexual acts. Sorry, but the gay couples in this country who want to get married are largely normal people, like you and me, who happen to be in love, committed to each other, and sharing a life together much like a straight couple would; they just happen to be of the same gender. If you're straight, then likely, from the time you were extremely young you can remember looking at the opposite sex and feeling an attraction there. Doesn't that tell you something? Do you think gay people choose to be gay? Belligerents in this debate should be praying to their God(s) that they weren't wired the other way.

So they can't have kids naturally. But neither can women after menopause, or people with fertility problems. So we should ban marriages with those people, too, if that's your argument.

Finally, I've heard a lot of hype about "defending the sacred institution of marriage." I think this one has largely been dissected already, though. If marriage is so sacred, then why is divorce the norm in this country? Regardless, if we're going to this route, since marriage is Sacred, then to be fair, we also need to outlaw divorce. Oh, but wait - being fair isn't a concern here.

The golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Millions of gay couples in America would like to get married. You might not be gay. I am not gay. But I sure as hell am standing up for anyone who is, and for equal rights for them, because when I'm the minority, I would hope others would do the same for me. It's simple. And it doesn't matter if a majority of the people in this country support it or not; it's about equal rights for all people, regardless of race, creed, color, or gender.

It will be interesting to see how the courts handle this; we'll see how objective they are.

Ryan Geiss -- 2\24\04
taken from: his homepage
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 07:29   #26
Kinetik*
Forum Antagonist
(Major Dude)

It took a revolution of a million people before divorce in religion was considered a 'norm', or at least more widely accepted (French revolution; though there were many more compelling changes brought about by this, and divorce was more predominant in England. After the revolution Divorce wasn't as looked down upon by people of religion. Though mainly accepted by Protistants) If there's a revolution now, it's much needed.

America needs a change from the corruption, stupidity, hypocricy, 1un-equality, racism, and biggotry that lies at it's helm.

Of course, Bush is such a douche-bag, he'd probably forget that 1: The Military are the people, set in place to protect the people, and 2: When the People see the government as being unfit, they have the right, duty, and responsibility to overthrow it.(Constitution) And have the military kill everyone rebelling against the monstrosity he's created.

There will be no seperation of Church and State until an Atheist is put into office, and the christian majority of the country will be more than sure to see that that never happens.

Procrastinators of the world unite!... Tomorrow!
Kinetik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 07:30   #27
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
Quote:
Originally posted by sandb937

that is true but if you read a little further you will also see that those people are punished by God for doing so.
And that is all that it should have been. The bible says that only god can judgeman, and therefore be the true punisher of man. In this sense then gays should be allowed to marry. But in other senses it does say marriage is only between a man and a woman. So....lets leave the bible out of this since it contradicts itself on almost every issue.

Besides what I found ludicrus is that George Bush will let gays fight in his war because the homosexual person loves his country and wants to do his duty. His duty for his country is recognized by this nation and depending on his actions in battle he will be rightly awarded. Yet he will not allow a homosexual person show his/her love for his/her fellow man/woman? "Yes you can love your country and we'll recognize that but you can't love your own gender." whatever Bush. This is almost as harsh as when he considered atheists non-citizens.

bgesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 08:37   #28
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Vote Kerry

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 11:26   #29
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Vote Nader - rock the vote protest rah rah rah

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 15:33   #30
mark
Forum King

vote timmy, the first elected pope. He's ginger too.

(ps. you dont know him.)
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 15:45   #31
zootm
Forum King

vote democrats or republicans for four more years of the same old shit.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 15:54   #32
mark
Forum King

i love the way america has a "left" right wing party and a "right" right wing party that both have right wing policies.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 17:56   #33
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
How would you make a marriage like hers illegal?
Nuke Vegas

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 20:32   #34
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
i love the way america has a "left" right wing party and a "right" right wing party that both have right wing policies.
Yeah its called "pretzel government"

bgesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 22:37   #35
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub
Quote:
Some believe being gay is 'unnatural.' That's false, though - it's extremely common in the animal kingdom, and throughout human history (rampant in some cultures).

ummm.. if it was EXTREMELY common then whatever species this was EXTREMELY common to would have no offpring (or little offspring) and fail to reproduce and so fail to exist. unless, of course he means "extremely common" to be less than 10%, in which case he should look up the words "extreme" and "common".

Quote:
If you're straight, then likely, from the time you were extremely young you can remember looking at the opposite sex and feeling an attraction there. Doesn't that tell you something? Do you think gay people choose to be gay?
Do people with cancer choose to have cancer? Do children born MS CHOOSE to have MS? Saying that gays might being born gay doens't make it acceptable. Perhaps it's more like smoking: it's started and now the person is addicted. It's a possiblity, either way, I don't think there will ever be a definate answer to the origins of homosexuality.

Quote:
Some also believe that being gay is a 'sin'. First of all, that's a belief largely based on religion; and the last time I checked, we had an alleged separation of church and state.

Marriage is a RELIGIOUS construction. If you want seperation of church and state, then the construct of marriage should be taken out of the government. Being a relgious construct, those who constructed it should be allowed to regulate who is allowed "in". Non-students have no purpose being inside a classrom; gays have no right being inside marriage.

Quote:
And it doesn't matter if a majority of the people in this country support it or not; it's about equal rights for all people, regardless of race, creed, color, or gender.
This is an interesting statement. Why is murdering wrong? isn't because the majority of people believe it is wrong? Isnt'that where all morals come from? If it's not about majority then why do we vote? why not just pick a president that gives equal rights? How do we decide what equal rights are? the minority?

Quote:
It views them not as people, but as sub-humans busily performing deviant sexual acts.

Gays are not sub-human. But just like sex does not equate marriage, love does not equate marriage.

Quote:
All I have to say is, George, and my fellow Americans, keep your religious beliefs, and your bigotry, the fuck out of my constitution.

But the consitution gives rights to "Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness" there's no statement about marriage. Part-time employees get no benefits, gays get no marriage.

No sig here folks.
GqSkrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 23:00   #36
mikm
Major Dude

Marraige grants 1,049 federal benefits to the couples. Its suprising how a legal issue is being turned into such a moral battle.
It also bothers me about people talking about the "sanctity" of marraige, when the divorce rate is over 50%.
It also bothers me when people claim that homosexuality is a choice. However, I don't see why anybody would "choose" to have a lifestyle that is hated by so many people and results in so many hate crimes.