Old 26th March 2007, 03:50   #361
sgtfuzzbubble011

I just posted this in the 'What was the last thing you bought' thread, but I'll put them in here anyways.

I finally broke down and ordered the Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX lens for my camera. The picture they have on the site shows the lens with a Nikon mount, but of course, the one I'm getting is a Canon EF-S mount. I also ordered another Canon 58mm UV-Haze Filter to go on my 18-55mm kit lens. Altogether, these were $583 and some change after shipping costs.

The flash unit is going to have to wait.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 23:18   #362
sgtfuzzbubble011

Hmm... Four days from order to front door. Not bad. Here's a quick shot I took with it just a few minutes ago. I was less than two inches away from my monitor when I shot that.
Old 29th March 2007, 23:21   #363
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Looks nice. Good bokeh and sharpness. how's the build quality and effect at 17mm?

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 23:33   #364
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, build quality seems to be superb. The manual focus is very accurate, the autofocus is near silent and quite fast, and the lens just feels well-built. The effect at 17mm is quite a bit less than at 10mm, but it's still quite evident that this is indeed a fisheye lens. I think it'll work nicely as an ultrawide-angle lens for macro, long exposure, and general use. The picture I posted above actually isn't that sharp. It was handheld at ISO-100 with a somewhat slow shutter speed. This picture, on the other hand, was shot at ISO-400 with help from my monopod. The EXIF is included with both images. Also, this image is quite a bit larger than the last one.
Old 29th March 2007, 23:36   #365
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by fwgx
Good bokeh and sharpness.
Judging sharpness based on a 1200x800 image?

There seems to be some ca though (in the first pic, didn't yet look at the second), but apparently only in the parts that are closer than the plane (or rather sphere) of focus.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 23:38   #366
Canon

How does that canon filter compare to a Hoya SUPER HMC Haze multi-coated UV(0) 58mm filter. Would that canon filter be better than my Hoya filter?

Last edited by Canon; 30th March 2007 at 00:02.
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 23:42   #367
sgtfuzzbubble011

I haven't really had much experience with Hoya filters yet, but from what I've heard and what I know about the company, they make excellent filters. I have no doubt that your Hoya is every bit as good as my Canon filters.
Old 30th March 2007, 00:08   #368
Canon

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
I haven't really had much experience with Hoya filters yet, but from what I've heard and what I know about the company, they make excellent filters. I have no doubt that your Hoya is every bit as good as my Canon filters.
Thanks. Compared to your canon filter my Hoya filter is really overpriced. I payed three times the amount you payed for your canon filter, and pretty much the only thing I use it for is to protect the lens.
Old 30th March 2007, 00:10   #369
sgtfuzzbubble011

Yep. Contrary to what most people think, UV-Haze filters make much better lens protectors than filters.
Old 30th March 2007, 03:47   #370
sgtfuzzbubble011

I just set my camera up on my tripod to get a couple quick comparison shots of the focal lengths of this new lens. These are low quality (since I was just going for viewing angles). I didn't even adjust the white balance.

IMG_2797.jpg = 10mm @ ~4'
IMG_2798.jpg = 17mm @ ~4'

Anyways, I set my tripod about four feet in front of my main monitor and focused on that. The barrel distortion at 17mm isn't actually that bad. That'll make it decent to use for general ultrawide-angle shooting. With a minimum focusing distance of one inch, it's absolutely perfect for macro photography. And with a lower focal length of 10mm, I can take pictures of huge things, too.
Old 30th March 2007, 04:49   #371
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
Well I logged onto the forums because we got a new camera yesterday and I had a few questions I wanted to ask and to look for this thread to ask them in, imagine my surprise when it was a the top of the page in GD. Anyways we got a Rebel XTi kit (body, lens, battery, charger, cables) and I am completely new to the whole SLR thing. Over the next couple of weeks I will be looking to pick up a couple of cases (something to carry the camera kit, an extra lens or two, extra CF Cards and batteries, possibly a backpack so I can carry it on my bike, plus a case for the camera itself), a tripod, something for cleaning the lenses/sensor and what else I'm not sure.
So @ Sarge, how do you like your tripod, is the build quality OK, does it seem stable, I read you built a counterbalance for it, was that necessary? Also which Canon 70-300mm IS USM do you have, the EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM or the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and how loud is the telephoto, am I going to scare wildlife or just annoy the people around me.
I already read all ten pages of this thread but if anyone else has any suggestions (opinions/experience on the quality of cases/tripods) feel free to add them.

Oh, and here's the obligatory photo from playing around with our new toy.
m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 05:49   #372
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'm pretty happy with my tripod. The head that came with it is ok, but it's not great. That's why I replaced it with a 700DX. This tripod head is great quality, and I'm extremely pleased with it. And it looks great on top of my U-212D tripod legs. The counterbalance wasn't really necessary, but I think it can be advantageous in certain situations. Since the U-212D has independent leg lock adjustment, it can easily be put in places were a little extra weight closer to the ground would be helpful. It's by no means necessary, though. If the independent leg lock isn't a big issue for you, you might want to consider buying a complete Pro 700DX tripod kit. I've seen the 700DX tripod legs up close, and they're very nice. In fact, they feel more solid than my U-212D. If I'm not mistaken, it comes with a carry case as well.

I have the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. The shorter "Diffractive Optics" (DO) model came out after I bought mine. Even though mine is almost twice as long, I can't say that I'm displeased with it in any way. It's a great lens, and the Image Stabalization works great. The Ultrasonic autofocus is fast and quiet. The mirror/shutter mechanism in your camera body is at least three or four times louder than the autofocus motor in any Ultrasonic (USM) lens, so noise isn't an issue with them. And as for getting other lenses... it all depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. Let me know what you've got in mind, and I can help you pick out some lenses that'll fit your needs.

As for cleaning accessories, the first thing I'd get would be any of the Hakuba Lenspens. I've got the regular Lenspen, but I have no doubt that the Mini Pro Lenspens are just as nice. A good microfiber cloth and some lens cleaning solution wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

As for memory cards, my Rebel XT works great with SanDisk's line of Ultra II CompactFlash cards. Since your Rebel XTi is faster than my XT, you might want to consider looking at SanDisk's Extreme III series of cards. But if you decide to go with the Ultra II cards, they won't disappoint you.

If you decide to get the battery grip for your XTi (BG-E3 Battery Grip was made for the XT, but I believe it's compatible with the XTi), then you might want to consider getting some rechargable NiMH AA batteries to use instead of the Canon battery pack. The BG-E3 Grip takes either two battery packs or six AA batteries at a time. I use Energizer NiMH rechargable 2500mAh AA batteries. They recharge quickly, and they last for well over a thousand exposures before needing to be recharged.

As for cases, I'm not sure yet. I need to get a new case now as well since I don't have room in my little Tamrac bag for it. I'll probably be looking into getting a Pelican case. You'll want something that you can wear as a backpack, though. Check out B&H's camera case section to see if there's anything in there that might meet your needs.
Old 30th March 2007, 08:25   #373
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by m0e
...and what else I'm not sure.
A good (=multi coated) circular polarizer.
Old 30th March 2007, 16:33   #374
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by m0e
Over the next couple of weeks I will be looking to pick up ..... an extra lens or two [/URL]
Really, I'd wait a good month or more before investing in any further glass. Especially if you don't know what you want and you haven't used your kit much. There's no point in buying glass if you don't know what it's for or where you'll use it. I've ended up with a lot of kit but I know what every lens does, where it'll be useful and I know that I have a need for it. I know why I have two prime lens' that are covered by my normal kit lens and I know why I chose the focal lengths that I did when I got them. I haven't regretted any of the kit I've bought, even the one lens I am going to get rid of - it served it's purpose because it was cheap and it filled a need for the time being.

Unless you know what you're going to shoot and the why behind what you need then you wont really know what you're getting.

I've heard of people saying that it's probably best to start off with a 50mm equivalent prime lens (something about 30-35mm) and then go from there.

Be warned though, collecting gear is very expensive and addicting.

Old 30th March 2007, 19:30   #375
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Sarge, you should blow up some pics and cover some of that blank wall

What's a pic if you can't look at it?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 09:39   #376
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
@sarge, I like the looks of the Pro 700DX Tripod you mentioned, it seems to have pretty good reviews, wish I could see one in person before I buy it but it is at the top of my list for tripods for now.
My primary interest in getting a DSLR was for shooting landscapes, wildlife and architecture so my thought was I would want some sort of telephoto lens. That's something I need to research more. Also I have seen some pretty cool macro photos and would like to try my hand at that (with a little photoshop work). My wifes main interest in getting the camera was portraits, not professional, more informal things like family get-togethers, the kids sports events and such.
Since I have worn glasses almost my whole life I have a few microfiber clothes around the house already but I don't like how hard it is to get the outside edge of the lenses clean with them. I have had no luck finding a single brush locally, but we are going on a trip this weekend so I see if I can find anything decent as we get closer to civilization (not actually in civilization, we're not leaving the midwest).
I picked up a 1gb Sandisk Ultra II card when I got the camera. I have had good luck with their products in the past. I looked at getting either the 2gb ultra II or Extreme III cards but the guy that was helping me at the store (a former co-worker of mine) told me I should wait, they go on sale for about 30-40% of the regular price 3-4 times a year. I will probably shop around the net and see what kind deals I can find though.
When I saw how much the battery grip was I wasn't that excited about getting one and my wife definitely balked at that. But when we actually saw one and she realized it actually used the batteries in it instead of just storing them it made more sense to her. We will be getting one of them but will probably wait until we have a better idea as to how much we should plan on spending on lenses. We also like the idea of being able to use AA batteries in it. I already have a couple of sets of NiMH AA's for our FinePix 2800. I am also thinking about getting the AC adapter for use while transfering photos to a computer, although it might make more sense to just get a multi format USB card reader since this is the fourth different memory card format we will be using (our Fuji's use Smart Media, Sony camcorder uses a Memory Stick, and our Nokia phones use RS-MMC, (I know I used the S-word and I generally agree with you about them but this was joint venture with my mom when she decided she wanted a digital camcorder and needed something compatible with her old tapes)).
I did get a case today, I found the Canon XTi Starter kit (case, battery and UV-Haze filter) locally for about $20 less than I have seen it online. Not sure about the quality/durability of the case, it looks like ballistic nylon with plastic reinforced sides. Hopefully it will last. It will hold the camera body with the kit lens and four more lenses in the main body and has three exterior pockets that will hold more media and spare batteries than I will ever need to carry. I still want some sort of compact backpack to carry the basics while cycling and a semi-hard case for the camera itself.
@geakwad, don't know what that is, remember I'm new to all this.
@fwgx, I feel exactly the way you do about lenses, I was planning on waiting awhile to pick up lenses, until I have a better idea as to what I will need. The quote you mentioned about lenses was just part of a list of what I wanted the bag to hold.
Something else I hadn't thought about before is a tablet to use in Photoshop/Gimp. I am going to have to see if I can demo some of the Wacom's to see if it is worth it for photo editing. I have CS2 but don't currently have it installed in any of our computers. My main desktops run Linux and even with 120gb in my laptop I never seemed to have enough empty space to play with media files. Now that you can get 200gb's in a laptop and I see that CS3 is out I might have to look into that in the future, but for my limited skills Gimp seems to do me just fine for now.
Thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions/sharing of experiences it is much appreciated, that is why I still come to this forum. Although I don't post as much anymore I still check it out almost every day for the sense of community here.
m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 09:55   #377
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by m0e
@geakwad, don't know what that is, remember I'm new to all this.
This.

It doesn't have to be a super expensive one, but for an SLR it has to be circular (with linear ones metering won't work) and should be multi coated.
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:13   #378
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Sarge, you should blow up some pics and cover some of that blank wall

What's a pic if you can't look at it?
I won't be staying there much longer, so it's ok.

@moe:
If you do decide to get the 700DX, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. But yeah, if you can find a place that has one in stock, definitely check it out first.

And about the lenses, Phily's advice won't lead you astray.

As far as the memory cards, if you've got a buddy that knows when you can get a good deal, then jump on it when it happens. I know there are other manufacturers that make CompactFlash, but if I recall correctly, Sandisk is the original. They hold the trademarks for CF, anyways. That's why I suggest them over any others. I haven't had a single problem with any Sandisk memory yet. And yeah, I'd get a multi-card reader for your computer. It's easier than hooking USB cables to all your cameras whenever you want to transfer files. I've got a 25-in-1 internal card reader in my tower, and it works great.

I know the battery grip is expensive, but to me, it's worth it. Not only does it let you shoot longer before switching batteries, it allows you the option to use AAs, and it also adds extra mass to the camera. That'll help you hold the camera steady when you've got a heavy lens mounted. It's also got extra buttons which make it very easy to take portrait shots (extra shutter button, dial, and rear controls). For me, it's a very worth-while investment.
Old 2nd April 2007, 21:46   #379
sgtfuzzbubble011

I was messing around the other night, and I decided to take a quick shot of most of my gear.

DSCF1335.jpg (Taken with my little p+s camera, hence the bad quality.)

Smaller stuff first, from bottom left:
- Canon CB-2LW Battery Charger
- Energizer CHCAR1 Battery Charger With Car Adapter
- Six Energizer NH 15-AA NiMH 2500mAh Rechargable AA Batteries
- Canon NB-2LH Li-Ion 720mAh Rechargable Battery Pack With Cover
- Two Sandisk Ultra II 2.0GB CompactFlash Memory Cards With Cases
- Hakuba Lenspen Lens And Filter Cleaning Pen
- Targus 2-In-1 Lens Cleaning Pen
- Canon BGM-E3L Battery Pack Magazine (For BG-E3 Battery Grip)

Larger stuff now, left to right:
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens With 72mm UV Haze Filter And Caps Installed
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Lens With 58mm UV Haze Filter And Caps Installed
- Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) dSLR Camera Body With Canon BG-E3 Battery Grip (With BGM-E3A AA Battery Magazine), Canon E1 Hand Strap, And Tokina AT-X 107 DX 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Fisheye Lens (With Cap) Installed And Mounted On Slik U-212 3-Way Tripod Head (For Display Purposes In This Image)
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens With 58mm UV Haze Filter And Caps Installed

Not pictured:
- Slik U-212D Tripod Legs
- Slik 700DX 3-Way Tripod Head
- Slik Monopod 350 Extendible Monopod
- Tamrac 4372 Modular Photo Gear Backpack
- Tokina EF-Mount Dust Cap
- Canon EF-Mount dSLR Body Cap
- Canon HiSpeed USB And Digital Video Cables
- Targus Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
- Six More Energizer NH 15-AA NiMH 2500mAh Rechargable AA Batteries

Got a few grand invested in this crap. :P
Old 2nd April 2007, 21:59   #380
Canon

How are you going to get your finepix E550 in the picture?
Old 2nd April 2007, 22:56   #381
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Got my Sigma 70-200 today. It's like being touched by god. Haven't been able to test it much. I'll be going out after work tomorrow to test it out. The build quality is even better than my 12-24 which I really like. the constant f/2.8 is awesome, as is the constant 1m macro ability throughout the zoom range. I love the HSM, the face that it internally focuses and zooms, that it's big and heavy and the tripod collar is detachable and sturdy.

I haven't checked any pics on the PC yet, but the colour looks to be really good.

Stay tuned for more updates.... I think this and the 12-24 will be my main lens' now and spend all the time they can on the camera.

Old 2nd April 2007, 23:02   #382
sgtfuzzbubble011

Wootness. I'll be looking forward to seeing some sample pictures from it.

Quote:
How are you going to get your finepix E550 in the picture?
I'm only including SLR gear in this list right now.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:32   #383
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

yay...

Found a tripod, heh.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 03:10   #384
sgtfuzzbubble011

What kind of camera do you have, skry? And nice pictar.

Also, I'm thinking about this case (official site) to replace my little Tamrac shoulder pack.
Old 3rd April 2007, 03:29   #385
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

From what I can deduce, I have this. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I have no context since this is the only camera I've owned.
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:21   #386
sgtfuzzbubble011

That looks like a handy little point & shoot camera to have. The focal length range is a bit odd, but it's got the same image processor as my Rebel XT.

DPreview.com's article on the A410.
Old 3rd April 2007, 12:28   #387
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
I'm only including SLR gear in this list right now.
Ah, so it has to be SLR?

In that case:
Old 3rd April 2007, 17:17   #388
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Quote:
That looks like a handy little point & shoot camera to have. The focal length range is a bit odd, but it's got the same image processor as my Rebel XT.

DPreview.com's article on the A410.
Aye, it gets its job done. I've been looking to upgrade, and I really want something where I can set the shutter speed to like half a minute for those awesome light captures or whatever they're called. However, every one I see that has that option is way out of my price range...I only want to spend about 250~ or so...
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:41   #389
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Canon A630
Canon A710IS
Fuji E900
Fuji S5200

All of those do 15 seconds and offer manual exposure.
(And maybe another store sells them even cheaper, just used B&H because Sarge did.)
The S6000 does 30 but the setting is hardly usable due to visible hotpixels even at lowest ISO (15 seconds looks fine (and is usually bright enough anyway unless you're away from artificial light)).
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:43   #390
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by fwgx
Stay tuned for more updates.... I think this and the 12-24 will be my main lens' now and spend all the time they can on the camera.
Well I went out and tried it this evening. It's sooo lush. I mean it's massive and heavy but it's a joy to use. There weren't that many people around but if it were busy there's no way you'd blend in shooting with it, but that's ok. People will know to get out of your way!

The focusing is worlds above my 70-300 that it's not true. The zoom is insanely smooth. It's totally usable at f/2.8. the colours and contrast are great. The only downside I've found is that I once or twice twisted the focus ring slightly after I'd set the focus and ended up with a blurred shot - This is my fault for not being used to the lens and now I know about it I doubt I'll do it again.

I just want a day with better light to take it out. I think I'm in love

Some samples here: http://gallery.fwgx.co.uk/main.php?g...1663&g2_page=1

Old 3rd April 2007, 19:56   #391
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2

Fuji S5200

(And maybe another store sells them even cheaper, just used B&H because Sarge did.)
That's not a bad price for the S5200. It looks like it's come down a bit since I got mine. No wonder it's out of stock.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:22   #392
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Thanks a heap, gaek. I'm looking at the S5200, it's mighty tempting.
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:04   #393
Canon

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
Thanks a heap, gaek. I'm looking at the S5200, it's mighty tempting.

Get the Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd instead, its just a little bit more than the S5200, buts its a whole lot better than the S5200.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S6000/S6000A.HTM
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:19   #394
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

>50 bucks is more than a 'little bit'.
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:52   #395
Canon

but 50 bucks gets you a much better camera. more megapixels, more zoom, better features, RAW, face detection, faster burst, an actual manual zoom and focus lens instead or a rocker button, image stabilization, bigger screen, lens hood, better looks and a lot more.
Old 4th April 2007, 00:24   #396
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

*sigh* This is why I really don't like talking about technical things online when it comes to purchases...there's always something better for "only this much more" which is more than I was willing to pay in the first place. That extra money is difficult to come buy especially for a full time, unemployed college student such as myself - therefore I'm only going to think about purchasing things in my price range, as previously mentioned. It's not that tough a thing to understand, really.
Old 4th April 2007, 00:52   #397
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Ah, so it has to be SLR?
Well, I meant in my list. Anybody can post whatever photo gear they have in my thread if they want. Nice Olympus, too.

@skry:
gaekwad has some good suggestions there. If you're seriously thinking about getting a new camera, those would work well with your needs and budget. The E900 is the replacement for my E550, in fact.

Very nice!

[edit]
I'm also going to build myself a remote switch for my Rebel XT. Pictures to come.
[/edit]
Old 4th April 2007, 02:33   #398
Canon

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
*sigh* This is why I really don't like talking about technical things online when it comes to purchases...there's always something better for "only this much more" which is more than I was willing to pay in the first place. That extra money is difficult to come buy especially for a full time, unemployed college student such as myself - therefore I'm only going to think about purchasing things in my price range, as previously mentioned. It's not that tough a thing to understand, really.
If money is an issue, try and see if you can get a canon S2 IS. The S2 is a much better camera than the S5200 and the good thing is that you can buy it for less than $250. That or you can wait a few weeks and save up for the S6500fd. But I say you should wait and save up your money because the S6500fd is that great of a camera.

http://www.twig-shop.com/product_inf...ge=en&cPath=25
Old 4th April 2007, 08:52   #399
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Canon
but 50 bucks gets you a much better camera. more megapixels, more zoom, better features, RAW, face detection, faster burst, an actual manual zoom and focus lens instead or a rocker button, image stabilization, bigger screen, lens hood, better looks and a lot more.
The 5200 has RAW too, face detection is a gimmick and the 6000's "stabilization" mode simply boosts ISO which can be done manually on any camera (or course on most other small sensor cameras (including the S5200) quality will suffer more if you do that).

Apart from that, yes the S6000/6500 is better (it's also bigger and heavier).
Old 4th April 2007, 13:16   #400
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions