Old 5th October 2009, 06:44   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
The Dog Thread

I've searched. No real good examples of a decent dog thread, and we need one.

Here we post dogs. Yours, someone else's, or anything else dog related.

Here's one of mine while visiting my parents' house. Right around 1:50 he's really acting odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npN9fUTW4LM

He likes to smile in an odd way.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 07:26   #2
dlichterman
Forum King

Max!

See more max: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlichterman/tags/max/

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 09:27   #3
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^

psst. Have a puppy
Nice dogs, doods!♥
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 21:29   #4
fc*uk

Meet Zoe, whom was chasing waves in Lake Michigan when this was taken.

fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 22:35   #5
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thanks for the submissions - great looking dogs.

Azor is crazy enough that I have to use that same collar. The problem is that I think his neck has grown so used to it that it doesn't seem to affect him anymore. Here's a pic before he got it which would explain why I had to get it:

And after:

For those not familiar - it seems like the most inhumane thing to do - the collar has two metal tines per inch throughout almost all the circumference of the collar that stick straight into the neck if the dog pulls too tight. It was very effective at first, but he can now pull just as hard without it seeming to hurt him at all.

@ widdy...

CATS?

Last edited by swingdjted; 5th October 2009 at 23:07.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:12   #6
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 01:33   #7
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

My dogs can beat up your dogs anyday!
Two warlock Dobies and a Min-Pin.
Zeus, Duke & Rocky
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 13:10   #8
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

He's been dead for about two years now, but this has been my best friend for 12 years

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 18:09   #9
jtbse

Send a message via AIM to jtbse Send a message via Yahoo to jtbse
Got all sides covered.....

And one I like to call "The Ninja"

jtbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 02:27   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The posts above are (to use internet lingo) made of win. Especially W-W's.

This is an extremely rare picture - he's usually very difficult to find while both awake and still. Usually when awake he's got some sort of hyperactivity disorder (along with the previously documented fear of baloons). Let's just say that he's "special"... It's hard to understand the attachment between man and mutt (both often derogatory terms). You have to give him credit though - he made it longer than I did that day.

I find it hard to believe after a long day of running all over the place that he was still willing to rest his head on my socks.

Perhaps later I'll post the other dysfunctional yet lovable dogs in the clan.

Old 7th October 2009, 03:19   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
The problem is that I think his neck has grown so used to it that it doesn't seem to affect him anymore.
Yep, that's because those training collars are a stupid waste of time only to be used if you are a weak and only for training, not for your daily walkies. I wouldn't use them at all but I think if you consider using them that whether you use them would be inversely proportional to how cooperative the dog is.

Pain doesn't teach a dog anything.

You look stout enough to be able to restrain the dog with a nylon collar. Buy a strong one. The teeth sticking into his neck is only going to distract him from what you have to teach him. I've noticed it also makes the dogs more hyper. Getting steel spikes jammed into your neck would probably make you more hyper too. Toss the choke collar. Train the dog.

I have always had big dogs (for 40 years) and I've only found one method of lead training that will work. Among dogs I've trained this way were a 160 lb. Great Dane, 100lb. Daisy, a 130lb. German shepherd and a big, big Rotty named Kang. You'll want to load up an ipod, because you are going to get really bored. It will be worth a few hours to have a dog that won't drag you. Being dragged is one of my pet peeves and I have gotten all of my dogs to not drag me when tied to my belt.

Plan on spending an hour a day for 4 days. At the end of that you will be pretty close. No one else should walk the dog during that time. You must be absolutely consistent. That's important when training a dog to do anything.

Hook the dog up and get away from your door. Dogs are a little weird about doors. When the dog pulls you, stop the dog, sit the dog and sit down with the dog. Talk to the dog and explain repeatedly "You were "PULLIN!", we can't go... SIT". You should pet the dog too. The idea is that you are trying to teach the dog the meaning of the word "PULLIN" and that "PULLIN" means that we can't go. Wait a clocked 2 minutes. Go again.

The deal here is that the dog will always want to explore. "PULLIN" will only result in getting sitted. The dog will figure it out pretty quick.

It may take you the whole hour to get 100 feet. Those are the breaks. After the hour turn the dog loose in the yard. After 3 or 4 sessions you will have a dog that will walk nice. A somewhat automatic side effect is that when you stop on a walk and tug the leash, the dog will automatically sit. Don't ask me why. Another side effect is that training like this will teach the dog to calm down. You might like that part since you mentioned it.

You can employ the same training technique with "HEEL" when you get "PULLIN" down. When heeling the dog should be on your left and slightly in front of you. A dog will understand "wrong side" Surprisingly they can tell left from right. I use "GO PLAY" as the release command from heel.

Then you have to train the dog's people to use what you taught the dog.

If you get heel down and the dog is by disposition calm enough, you won't need a leash at all. Daisy will heel with no leash. The big rotty I had would. The German Shepherd was too hype, but would still walk nice on a lead.

The only way this will not work is if you don't do it. I always have well behaved dogs and people look at me like it's some kind of miracle. I tell them how and then they don't do it.

A happy dog is a well trained dog. You really owe it to them to train them well.

At 14 weeks, with various techniques, I always have a dog that won't pull, won't shit, won't pee, mostly won't chew stuff up. You do unfortunately have to realize that they aren't grown up until they are 2 years old, where you get the real benefit of how well you trained them.

I personally like going to the farmers market with Daisy tied to my waist and being able to hold a hot espresso without wearing it.

When you get your lead training down, public places are a good thing for dogs. It gives them confidence and they won't be so wary of strangers. Don't worry. They still stay protective enough.

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/100_2060a.JPG[/img]
[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/100_2814.JPG[/img]
[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/100_2767.JPG[/img]

Always remember:

For at least 10,000 years your pooch has been raised by people, bred by people and customized to be your pal.

There is nothing more that your dog wants to do than please you. It's bred into them.

Your main problem in training any dog is to get them calm enough so that you can talk to them. They'll understand at least 100 words and be your pal then. They are autistic. It's an important to remember that. You can yell at them, but you always have to be sure they know what you're doing that for.

Quote:
He's been dead for about two years now
Aw! That's too long to be without a pooch. I've never been able to be w/o a pooch for more than 6 months.

Quote:
My dogs can beat up your dogs anyday!
Nice dobies. Uncropped is good.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 7th October 2009 at 04:33.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 04:55   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^I had never seen the middle pic. Daisy looks like she's a good healthy dog. Azor is a lot different from the others and is the only one of the dogs that needs a leash. The rest just seem to stay with me without.

I've never really had to train dogs before because they usually learn from the older dogs how to 'stick around' and not cause trouble. Although all have good hunting ability and have helped me get dinner many times, Azor takes it to the next level - he has instincts that will make him chase a scent of a rabbit (away from me) even if I hold a steak and beg him to come to me. He just doesn't cooperate if he's on a scent, which is why I've always had the leash. I only set him completely free with the other dogs about 1-2 times a week, because if I lose him, I'll lose him for a couple days before he'll come back. I like to do it on weekend afternoons, but I have to very much limit his food the day before/day of, so that he will come back for food the same day. This is very characteristic of a coon-hound, which is likely the predominant breed in his mutt mix.

The other 2 dogs (lab/golden retriever mix and some kind of shepherd mix) seem to do everything Renee and I tell them to do, without ever going through any real training. I only tie them to me when I go to the vet or somewhere where leashes are required. They're mostly calm around people unless someone intentionally gets them wound up. I think it's mostly a breed thing - Azor just isn't bred to be an obedient pet, while the others are and have no trouble with it. It doesn't bother me too much that he pulls - he eventually backs off, although if I had all three pulling like that, I wouldn't have to walk.

Of the three, Azor's clearly the fastest runner (can keep up with my fastest bicycling in the mid 30's mph range), the most stealthy hunter (you might not even need a gun - he can get very close to wild animals without being noticed and then sometimes be able to run and catch them), but yet he's the least obedient and displays the strangest quirks of the dogs. He's the oldest and smallest too (5 years, 65 pounds). If you pat him while he's sleeping, you run the risk of catching him mid-nightmare and he'll jump to his aggressive stance and bark/growl for a few seconds until he realizes that it's just a regular person in the middle of a living room, and then he'll lick your hand. He once got loose from Renee's leash hold and charged/violently attacked/shredded a huge 15 foot tall blow-up Jerome Bettis (football player) figure that was displayed on game day outside my neighbors house, which is fine, because I've never been a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers, except that I made myself buy a replacement despite that. All this and I've never had anything in the house damaged by him - he just doesn't like things he's not used to I guess.

Old 7th October 2009, 06:17   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
If you pat him while he's sleeping, you run the risk of catching him mid-nightmare and he'll jump to his aggressive stance and bark/growl
It's too late... but .... They say "let sleeping dogs lie". I wake puppies up a lot... just because of that. I don't want some kid waking the dog up and getting nailed.... or getting bit because I stepped on em accidentally.

Daisy isn't immune to weird behavior either. One of her pet peeves is cordless power tools. If I leave a cordless screwdriver lying around she will KILL it A LOT!

I have managed to discourage her from killing the lawnmower and vacuum cleaner, but if it rolls or makes engine noises ... caution is indicated...

Azor and inflatables... hmmm... I think it's funny what will set them off sometimes. I call this "Dog logic". They do think, it seems like the smartest ones get the weirdest ideas though

Daisy is 8 on Halloween (I don't really know her *exact birthday because she was a pound puppy). Halloween is close.

The vet said she could pass for 5 despite her AIHA. It's sorta funny, only at certain angles or if she's pissed or sprawled out on my bed does she really look as big (94 pounds) as she is. Being that size, she is probably the least clumsy dog I've ever had. Unlikely to clear a table with her tail etc. My other rotty was pretty good in the house too.

I am really a Rottweiler fan. They are mostly calm, halfway smart and easier to train than a lot of breeds. I've never run into that reputation for being killers that they've earned with being a leading cause of dog vs. human fatalities.

On the other hand, I never really went out of my way to piss one off I think a lot of people that own Rotty's and pit bulls make a big mistake in thinking that they need to teach the dogs to be aggressive. If you teach them to be sweet oaf's, aggressive will come up appropriately.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 7th October 2009 at 06:36.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:35   #14
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

RoH: My parents bought a new dog a few months later. I only have photo's of the new dog from when he was still a puppy, but nothing recent, here it is:

Note that he's about 1.5 - 2 years old now

I have two cats myself. I just don't have good pictures of them together (yet).

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 14:19   #15
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^That's adorable, twice!♥
Great photos, all.
Train-Main..That's Choice!
Old 7th October 2009, 22:54   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^That's a cute little pup. If you ever get newer pics post here!

Old 9th October 2009, 09:54   #17
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

For The Dog(and Cat) People!
and
This does me
Old 10th October 2009, 19:21   #18
rockouthippie
Banned

No treats from Obama
Old 10th October 2009, 20:55   #19
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ hmmmmmm
Old 11th October 2009, 08:29   #20
rockouthippie
Banned

[IMG]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/cookie_nose.png[/IMG]

I hate this trick! There's a KOOKEE on my nose!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 11th October 2009 at 08:49.
Old 11th October 2009, 09:36   #21
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Don't do it , Daisy. Don't let 'em make an ass outta' ya'(*hic*)[Brian The Dog: Family Guy]
Brian: Portrait Of A Dog
She does look cute with her eyes a lil bit crossed, though!♥
Old 11th October 2009, 15:39   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The hardest one for me has been to get a retriever to return a hot dog (or any other food dogs love) without eating it. Sometimes I have luck with it, but sometimes I don't. If it's been a while since we've done it, they'll bring it back, but will try to eat before giving it up.

Old 11th October 2009, 15:46   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

(So would I)
Old 11th October 2009, 19:34   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

I think Daisy would become a magician and it would be the the fastest hotdog disappearing act you ever saw.

Probably the only reason I can get away with the milk bone trick is that she can't just inhale it. I could tell her to sit and she wouldn't eat the goodie, but in her mouth... no way. I don't think Daze would make a very good bird dog.

FOOD! even if you spell it F.O.O.D. is a prevalent theme in Rottweiler thinking
Old 12th October 2009, 16:07   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Here's a designer dog toy that Daze just had to have:
[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/51P9Y02ZSCL__SL500_AA280_.jpg[/img]

It's "Dirty Rotten Kitty" so it's educational as well. Daisy loves "Dirty Rotten Kitty". "Dirty Rotten Kitty" comes in other colors too. Amazing people will drop $10-$15 on a dog toy. Dirty Rotten is made out of some pretty heavy canvas stuff, so he stays dirty and rotten pretty well.

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/41wODvPyhML__SL500_AA278_.jpg[/img]

Another toy worthy of note is the Kong bisquit ball. You're supposed to stick a dog bone in it. Let's get real. Stick a tablespoon of peanut butter in there. Watch a dog go nuts.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 12th October 2009 at 16:31.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:41   #26
RockyRacoon

can't believe I'm seeing cats in this thread
RockyRacoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 22:06   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Freeze the peanut butter - it'll last longer and be less messy. I use the standard beehive shaped kongs often - I put some dog food in, then peanut butter, then more dog food, then more peanut butter etc. until full. I then toss them in some cheap glad tupperware in the freezer. Once frozen, serve. It works well to keep the dogs busy.

Old 13th October 2009, 23:35   #28
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

constant vigilance! My Scottish cattle dog and his consort protecting the homestead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wild2.jpg (127.1 KB, 423 views)

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 08:18   #29
rockouthippie
Banned

Nice looking dog. Never heard of a Scottish Cattle dog? Never seen a dog that was quite like him.
Old 15th October 2009, 13:58   #30
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

McNab shepherd. http://cattletoday******mcnab.php

Old 15th October 2009, 16:18   #31
rockouthippie
Banned

Judging from my experience with an Aussie shepherd and a border Collie, that's gotta be a lotta dog.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:40   #32
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

He's smart enough to roll down the windows on my car without having to ask me to do it. Fabulously loyal, fleet as a deer and good natured to everyone except for than damned black lab up on the hill behind us. but then everyone hates that dog.

Old 16th October 2009, 21:44   #33
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Odd! Labs are usually such sweet, great woos.
Old 17th October 2009, 01:46   #34
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Just found out - I have a friend that has just found out that she has to leave the country (for work I think) in 2 weeks. She has two 3-year-old labs that are about as perfect as they come, and she can't take them with her, so she is desperately trying to find a good home that will take the pair together. She is from the Columbus, Ohio, USA area. If you're from around there and you are interested or know someone who is, I can send pictures and a more detailed description of the situation. They're extremely well trained, very monetarily valuable, used to and positive with kids, and just overall perfect pets. Give me a post or PM if you have a serious lead as to where these dogs should go.

Old 17th October 2009, 03:44   #35
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
^ Odd! Labs are usually such sweet, great woos.
Daisy has the same problem with Cici, the black lab across the street. Cici is a worthless shit too. Cici bit Daisy for no reason at all. Daisy hasn't forgotten. I agree labs are usually good dogs.... but I've known a couple.... I've had an excellent great lady lab... Lucy. I also had one that would eat the siding off the house and tempt me to commit dog-i-cide nearly every day.

Cleo was a pound adoption like Daisy and is the only dog I ever coudn't train. The pound got her back. Too bad. A pretty lab.

I think I'd attribute lab problems to bad breeding, usually extreme inbreeding. They are a very popular puppy mill dog, so I'd watch it.
Old 17th October 2009, 18:52   #36
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I have never gotten my purebreds from like a Pet Store or any of that. I used to go to a heck of a lot of dog shows, as I had campaigned two of my female Malamutes...I still occasionally go to them. And yes, I've had great mutts.
Smart, loyal, friendly; just wonderful dogs
In keeping with the new theme

(The Kerry Blue Terrier)
Old 17th October 2009, 18:57   #37
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Jack dog was a rescue dog. All my dogs and cats are rescues. Jack was two days away from getting the chop because his previous owners didn't want to spend $100 on a vet bill. My good luck.

Old 17th October 2009, 18:58   #38
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Azor's biggest breed in his blood is likely BLUEtick Coonhound.

A breeding site said the following, which explains a lot about him:

Quote:
Do not let this breed run free off of its lead, unless in a safe, secure area. Coonhounds have a tendency to follow their noses, and if they catch wind of a scent, they may wander off for hours following it.

Old 17th October 2009, 19:06   #39
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
Jack dog was a rescue dog. All my dogs and cats are rescues. Jack was two days away from getting the chop because his previous owners didn't want to spend $100 on a vet bill. My good luck.
You never rescued meeeeeeee!
@ Ted, just so folks know..What he said
Old 17th October 2009, 19:09   #40
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I was editing - but that site does explain a lot.

Wikipedia says a lot about them too. Something in his line slims him down, keeps the brown out and speeds him up though.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions