Old 17th November 2009, 10:09   #81
rockouthippie
Banned

I have more on my mind tonight than usual, so I got woke up by a certain lady rottweiler who quietly curled up around my feet and had a dream in which she kicked me a couple times.

Now she has migrated to my warm spot and I will now move her gently back to the tolerated position of foot warmer. Probably good, because we both snore a little.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 00:45   #82
fc*uk

Sadly, my dog passed away a few months ago.

I have been quite lonely and my wife leaves for Toronto soon.

I just filled out an adoption application for this one tonight:

We'll see ...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 01:05   #83
rockouthippie
Banned

OK, can I really tell from the face? A girl? Hmmm.... an adoption application? Not that complicated around here. Do you have a yard? Do you have a couple hundred bucks (spayed, neutered, shots, microchip etc.)? Here's your pooch.
Old 21st December 2009, 01:10   #84
fc*uk

Yea, you are pretty much right. The dog is a male actually.

The we'll see was more along the lines of can I personally deal with another dog yet.

A close friend is actually sponsoring him. Seems like an absolute sweetheart from what has been said...
Old 21st December 2009, 01:24   #85
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, breaking in a new dog is a chore, but they'res some fun in there too. The alternative is not having a dog. I always thought it was worth the trouble.

Having seen a lot of dogs come and go, the current one is always my favorite one. Daisy is dog #9. The best so far.

A hint: If you needed a vacation, get a female.
Old 21st December 2009, 04:54   #86
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

every single dog that entered the household here has been a dog that was dumped by others.

the animalshelter regarded me as a regular ( also took home serveral cats)

if we get another dog after the two living here now are no longer with us i want a puppy this time.

the mrs and i both agree that our next dog will be

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 09:58   #87
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Puppy!!!!! Puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy! Oh. 'suse me I got excited!
@fc*uk: I hope it works out well for you. Sorry about your dog.

Last edited by Widdykats; 21st December 2009 at 12:07.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 10:49   #88
rockouthippie
Banned

If you can find a well behaved adult dog..... well behaved adult dogs usually don't end up in the pound....

I like to raise dogs from puppies too. It's really difficult to retrain an adult dog with problems.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:29   #89
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
It's really difficult to retrain an adult dog with problems.
have had 3 dogs sofar with problems and i think of it as a challenge to make their life as nice as possible.

i turned two wild cats who no one could approch into cats that loved to sleep on the couch or on our feet.

what you put into those animals , patience and love pays out
but it takes like a lifetime to get there.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 21st December 2009, 22:42   #90
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Please come to New York and I'll feed ya' and put you and the Mrs up, while you have a "training session" with Ms. Hissy FitzWaddles!
Kthnx
R
Old 21st December 2009, 22:51   #91
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm not that much of a humanitarian. The best trained dogs will get in occasional trouble. Daisy chews an occasional sweaty sock. Trying to correct abused animals which has led them to be dangerous or overtly destructive hasn't been effective.

In order for a dog to be happy, it needs to be well trained. Untrained or untrainable dogs end up marginalized in their households, whether you feel like you're being a humanitarian or not.

Trained dogs get to go places, meet people, have fun. Dogs with issues end up chained up in the back yard.

Unfortunately, sometimes perfectly adequate dogs end up chained up in the back yard because owners were too lazy to train them.

I think most people do an incredibly shitty job of raising their dogs. The most abused ones find their way to the animal shelter and a lot of the time, you just can't unscramble eggs.

I'm not that enthralled with the idea of retraining ferrile cats either. I guess if you don't mind your furniture getting razed and your house getting sprayed... in a year, after you replaced your carpets and furniture.... you can get a cat you might be able to deal with. My brother has a reclaimed one, which appears to be a pleasant house cat. However, if the cat gets out, it will fight (or rather attack any other cat it sees), resulting in some very high medical bills. Now Scrappy has FLV, which responds well to treatment. But on the bad side, every time Scrappy gets loose (not real often), he's now spreading FLV all over the place with his fighting. I would not be as sentimental about this cat as my brother. I haven't mentioned this to my brother, but I don't think it's entirely responsible to unleash typhoid Scrappy on the neighborhood cats.

It is nice to make animals happy. Daisy has probably never had an unhappy day. I don't let sentimentality give my glasses too rosy a tint though. I see no reason to keep nuisance animals.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd December 2009 at 00:04.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:37   #92
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

our couch is second hand and it's the 10th one in 15 years.

if you make the choise to take animals into your house you have to be prepared for those things.
It's only material stuff that can be replaced.

if i see that our little jack russel is much more relaxed than he was when we took him in 8 months ago
it's worth the effort.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:11   #93
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NJK
our couch is second hand and it's the 10th one in 15 years.

if you make the choise to take animals into your house you have to be prepared for those things.
I prepare for that by training the animal so that it doesn't destroy anything. Couches usually last me a decade. I am the alpha. It's MY furniture and because I am the alpha and all good things come from me, an animal would feel pretty low to do something I didn't like. To do what is good and know what is good is to be spoiled. To be scolded by your best pal and alpha dog. How undignified!

Daisy can't resist eating the occasional dirty sock but no mayhem. She won't get on the furniture uninvited. Hell, if she's wet, she'll sit by the back door and clean her paws and dry out before proceeding into the house.

Not a remarkable dog compared to any other I ever had. Just trained. My dogs are often better behaved than people I let in my house.
Old 25th December 2009, 01:42   #94
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Some dogs just can't be trained like others though, because of their breed. Although great at one thing, no amount of training will get you the other thing that you might have been instinctive in a past dog. Azor for example can't ever be trusted to be set free unless I watch him the whole time, and make sure he doesn't get too far away. Bessie and Brandy on the other hand are left loose and unattended outside for pretty much the entire summer without straying away; they wait for me to take them.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 03:14   #95
rockouthippie
Banned

Dog #7, Morgen aka Harry Houdini was an escape artist, roamer. Male dogs do roam. It is almost impossible to keep them from doing it, but it's not quite impossible.

Mainly, you have to be clever enough to bust them every single time. With Morgen, I built a little box for his collar. If I let him out he had a half hour of freedom before the box went off like a smoke alarm making him really easy to find.

He could jump a 5 foot fence without touching it, run 30 miles an hour, and his keeshond/samoyed gave him the camoflage of a wolf. He'd break chains, collars, dig under, jump over.

He was about 4 when I built my dog finder. After busting him every single time he ran off for a few months, my will finally prevailed and he quit trying.

Around here, it's 3 strikes, you're out for getting caught by the animal control. They'd take the dog permanently, plus the $100 fine. Morgen had a couple different dog names on his licenses over the years to keep him out of trouble with the 3 strikes rule.

Finally, and after having other male dogs that were roamers, including one that killed himself in an escape attempt... I determined that I was going to win against Morgen. I'm surprised, but killing him was not necessary

After Morgen, I found out that you can indeed train a dog. Sometimes it takes a broom. Sometimes it takes a smoke alarm buzzer. Dogs after #7 don't run off much, if at all.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 25th December 2009 at 03:59.
Old 25th December 2009, 23:27   #96
fc*uk

Whelp ... I'm set to adopt that dog above. Gotta promise to take him to at least one obedience class or the adoption agency won't give him to me as he is a bull breed dog. Darn dog would not hurt a fly even if you asked him too, but what ever --- I'll take the dog to classes.
Old 26th December 2009, 05:18   #97
rockouthippie
Banned

Pit Bulls are a lot of dog. More training is mo' betta and one dog training session is probably not gonna get you where you want to be. Luckily there is a book that will teach you how to train dogs that are a lot of dog.

The Art of Raising a Puppy is the bible for dog training. I usually give a copy of this to friends that get a new puppy. This book is by some monks in New Skeet, New York that pay for their monastery by raising German Shepherds. If you do what the "bible" says, you'll be in good shape.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 26th December 2009 at 05:36.
Old 27th December 2009, 04:15   #98
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
[i]Although great at one thing, no amount of training will get you the other thing that you might have been instinctive in a past dog.[/B]
For fuck's sake that's the second case I've found tonight of my shitty proofreading...

@f~ I hope it all goes well for you. Please continue to post about it.

Old 28th December 2009, 01:10   #99
rockouthippie
Banned

I'll agree that some dogs are better than others. However, I'm 47 years old and tired of chasing dogs. Azor would find himself on the business end of a shock collar. It's a last resort for "runner off..ers" and dogs that won't fucking stop when you tell em to.

You've really got to get rid of the "run off" behavior because it isn't safe for the dog. How many of my dogs have been run over by cars while taking a "walkabout"? Almost all. Beni (#4) was a fatality. It is an indirect means of training that when you yell "STOP!" and when they don't, they get plowed by a car... but it does have the possibility of being the last lesson they learn.

I don't like to use cars as a training tool Luckily, puppyhood gives a little protection from car bumpers; not so much as they get to be adults.

Some breeds have foibles, but I haven't met one that couldn't be trained enough to support their safety and your sanity. I adopted a lab one time that I took back to the pound. Too nuts. Too abused. She probably could have been trained too. Maybe.

Being well trained, Daisy only pisses me off a couple times a year. It's nice to know that I don't have to tolerate the pre-Morgen (#5) dogs that would piss me off on a daily basis. Training works. The only negative Daisy has is that if she feels like I'm not paying enough attention to her, she'll chew up my socks. Pure revenge

The only "piss me off" for the last couple of years was her attacking the neighbors malamute. I think she felt like she was being protective of a puppy (the other neighbor). Still, when I said STOP!, she did.

STOP! is an extremely important command for dobies, pit bulls, rotties.... you need STOP!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 28th December 2009 at 02:10.
Old 28th December 2009, 09:39   #100
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Whelp ... I'm set to adopt that dog above. Gotta promise to take him to at least one obedience class or the adoption agency won't give him to me as he is a bull breed dog. Darn dog would not hurt a fly even if you asked him too, but what ever --- I'll take the dog to classes.
Congratulations...you're a daddy!
(Remember, he doesn't have to "Ace" the class..just pass)
Old 14th January 2010, 01:17   #101
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Pit Bulls are a lot of dog. More training is mo' betta and one dog training session is probably not gonna get you where you want to be. Luckily there is a book that will teach you how to train dogs that are a lot of dog.

The Art of Raising a Puppy is the bible for dog training. I usually give a copy of this to friends that get a new puppy. This book is by some monks in New Skeet, New York that pay for their monastery by raising German Shepherds. If you do what the "bible" says, you'll be in good shape.
Jesus, were you ever right. Book ordered.

Bugsy is a lot of dog. As you suggested, more training is definitely going to be mo' better. Don't get my wrong, he's a sweetie, but the jumping up on you and licking your face off needs to be controlled because not everyone takes kindly to that. Plus, the barking puts the fear of god into everyone who hears it.
Old 14th January 2010, 09:21   #102
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Love The Monks Of New Skete's training methods; their dogs and their place ain't bad ether!
Jesus wants you to sit. Good girl!
They don't really say that.
Old 14th January 2010, 15:32   #103
rockouthippie
Banned

Bugsy. Good name I had a Brittany spaniel that I named Beni, but he eventually went by "Bugs". Dumb as a box of rocks. "Bugs" because he was a waskaly wabbit.

It's nice that I can take Daisy to the nursing home to visit my mom and old ladies can pet her without getting jumped on, licked more than on the hand, or feet stepped on. They are a little amazed that 94 pound Daisy is so gentle. Daisy thinks she is little

If you need extra reading you could consult the methods of Evelyn Woodhouse for a different insight but her methods are probably more effective for dogs that aren't "a lot of dog".

Isn't it nice? You can train a dog and you almost never had to be mean or raise your voice.

A word I use to express disaproval with my dogs is "UH OH!" OMG! He said UH OH! I'm bad Daddy loves me so much... I'm scum
Old 15th January 2010, 08:17   #104
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I like Evelyn Woodhouse's gentle methods. I'm a fan.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:25   #105
rockouthippie
Banned

People always tell me how great my dogs are... how well behaved... etc... "If I could have a dog like that..."

Just read the book and do what it says.... If you aren't happy with the way your dog turned out, you didn't follow the directions. Did you try to bake a cake without a recipe? It's the same thing. There is no magic and in my experience the dog breed doesn't matter. You might rarely find a dog that's truly defective... but not often..

Breed differences give you a variety of personalities, but won't be a factor in training unless you wanted an excuse not to train the dog. It's a blockenheadhund. They're hard to train.... oh bullshit!

The only basic differences you're gonna find is how energetic they are and how sociable the personality is. Sociability usually only matters with how well they accept other animals.

If you don't like your dog. Look in the mirror. That's the problem.

Another thing is patience with puppies. Dogs are not finished and the cake is not baked until they are 2 years old.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 15th January 2010 at 17:41.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:13   #106
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

sad

Old 20th January 2010, 16:05   #107
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I had to try and get the image outta' my head!
And a link for AVMA for Haiti Animal Rescue
Here
And if you're not depressed enough a link to a review of
Mine
They sure fucked that up. The clips are heartbreaking.
As a post script: Somebody go get Bandit from that fat, selfish bitch before she eats him.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:42   #108
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 20th January 2010, 23:44   #109
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Pics aren't showing up and the thread looks all borked; is there something wrong with the forums?

Old 21st January 2010, 09:14   #110
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by NJK
[Image]
Ahehhehe...And they do that fa' real!
I can see pics from my end, Ted! The other day I couldn't; fine today.
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:31   #111
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It was an issue with my service provider. I eventually lost all internet service for the evening, with the exception of the golf course's unsecured wireless network. I'm back on my own provider again though.

Old 29th January 2010, 18:47   #112
rockouthippie
Banned

There is a squirrel in my TREE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBlYdJf7R0
Old 30th January 2010, 07:16   #113
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
sad

[ url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2189/loyaldogthumbnail.jpg][Image][/ url]
[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/scan0017.png[/img]

They do get attached to their peoples don't they. It reminds me of my dads basset hound, Dutch. Dutch waited at the door at 6PM for my dad to come home from work for years after my dad passed away.

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/scan0016.png[/img]

I found this photo of dogs past. This is dog #8 Morgen and dog #5 Brody aka "Heckle n' Jeckle". #5 and #8 had no real affection for each other and telling Morgen to give Brody a hug was a test of my mastery of these dogs. 100 lb golden retriever Brody was no match for 65 lb samoyed/keeshond Morgen. It's Brody's own fault. He teased Morgen a lot as a puppy. You can tell Brody is a little worried and that Morgen would really like that ear.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 30th January 2010 at 08:42.
Old 14th February 2010, 14:20   #114
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

They're Here!!!
On USA Network at 8:00pm
and next night on CNBC at 9.
*Paws Up*
Old 14th February 2010, 22:30   #115
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Old 4th March 2010, 01:54   #116
webthing
Forum King

It's dogs in slow-mo catching treats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCRZzhbHH0
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 19:48   #117
rockouthippie
Banned

Dog owners should all watch "Good Dog!". It's just terrific.

http://retrovision*****freevideo/good-dog-2006-09/

If you'd like some light reading, I'd suggest a book my brother bought me for Christmas "Animals make us human", by Temple Grandon. He's an animal behaviorist that examines animal happiness from an animal perspective. Some of his conclusions are counterintuitive. I thought it was interesting. Are you the "alpha wolf" or are you mommy and daddy to your pooch? In trying to examine animal welfare and happiness from an animal standpoint, it's pretty obvious that human expectations of what creates happy animals is flawed.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:35   #118
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Dr. Temple Grandin is a woman. She has Autism. She teaches at Colorado State HBO Movie About Her She was an innovator in "Humane Slaughter".
I am a fan!
Old 5th March 2010, 18:50   #119
rockouthippie
Banned

I read that whole book and never tumbled that it was a gal. I did know about the autism, which she compares to animal behavior in some ways.

The point of the book is that in measuring animal welfare, you can't examine it in human terms. Surprisingly, the factory farm chicken may have a better life than the "free range" one. Things that humans think animals need, often aren't what they really needed for their welfare.

Another question she raised is whether your relationship with your dog is really that of an alpha wolf. Or are you mommy/daddy? Interesting insight on wolves; countering some established theory. She thinks alphas only exist in "packs" created by humans sticking unfamiliar wolves together. She says the "alpha wolf" in natural packs is "daddy". "Daddy" has the position for life. Posturing aside, his control is affection by the pack, not dominance.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th March 2010 at 19:17.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:13   #120
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

You would love the movie about her. See if you can acquire it. She's not even remotely normal in so many good ways.

as a post script: There are a huge bunch of people who don't know that SE Hinton, who wrote Rumblefish and The Outsiders, was a female. Nor, did she want them to, hence, se hinton.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions