Old 25th September 2010, 05:02   #201
rockouthippie
Banned

What is she? She's a Shar Mutt. A Tibetan yak hunting dog. The monks in Tibet and Mongolia used them to find lost yaks. I have told BB "Get the yak!" and she just sits there, so you can be pretty sure there aren't any yaks in the vicinity. Very rare. One of it's ancestors it the Shar Pei, because of the black tongue and wrinkles, but the rest of her breeding is a secret only the monks know. Even the vet doesn't understand these ancient secrets.

Information is sketchy, but I think Shar Mutts could weight as much as 35 pounds full grown and wet. A killer to be sure. If you ever run into one of these, toss pizza crusts and step back. You might just survive.

Here's a photo, if you aren't faint hearted:

http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/100_3676.jpg

Last edited by rockouthippie; 25th September 2010 at 08:00.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 08:09   #202
rockouthippie
Banned

I was sitting here with my laptop and it occurred to me how to crate train this puppy. This photograph is a 4 second hand help exposure, so forgive the photography. The subject was so cute. I have never crate trained a dog. All of my dogs so far would sleep on top of a dog house. A crate? Not a chance in hell.

For various reasons (mainly travel) I wanted to be able to crate this one, so I put the crate on my bed with a big fat blanket in it. Now the puppy is asleep. She will get used to the crate. Damn I'm smart.

BB is way, way behind on her training. She's teething. She has bad dreams. She doesn't know her name if she ever had one. She's a very light sleeper. She doesn't know any words. She really hasn't even tumbled that humans talking means something. Poor pup. She's half way potty trained, but I wouldn't count on it. I think her bed is gonna be a crate for a little while, even if it is sitting on my bed.

She'll figure out I'm daddy. That will take another week. Then we can fix this pup up. She's gonna be a lady! I can tell she's smart, and she is very sweet. She just needed a daddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in_the_box_st.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	47606  

Last edited by rockouthippie; 25th September 2010 at 09:32.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:42   #203
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

All girl's should have a good daddy. This way she won't end up pole dancin' at The Paws and Claws!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 18:23   #204
rockouthippie
Banned

Hmmm.. I may have screwed up when I named her. Isn't BB a popular pole dancer dog name?
Old 26th September 2010, 13:29   #205
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

you know, i wouldn't think these days of having a dog, i'm a cat person, i mean.... i used to have a dog, but i never treated it right, so i'm pleased to have a cat... not alot to do, just change it's sandbox and feed it... oh well... to each his own
kingo'mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 15:45   #206
find
Banned

I know little bit dogs but this is not way of smiling
find is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 19:03   #207
rockouthippie
Banned

I got up this morning, put out some food for the puppy. I expected her to eat immediately, but she didn't. She kept pestering me, and I was trying to figure out what the hell was her boggle. Toys ... nope... cow ear chew... nope... squeaky toy.... nope... Then I picked her up, rubbed her belly and gave her a hug. Only a minute.

Then she ate her breakfast. I didn't know she loved me yet.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:36   #208
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Well, you know it now!
Old 27th September 2010, 02:09   #209
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I'm surprised 35 pounds is what they say she'll make. She looks like she could grow to quite a bit more, but then again, she looks like she could end up being beagle sized too. Good looking dog.

@fc*uk - the look on the dog's face looks like determination, like it was with you while racing another car.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 17:52   #210
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a few guesses going with BB. It looks like she's 4-6 months old by teeth. She's still cutting adult teeth. I'm calling it 6 months. (She could be as young as 4) She weights 19 and pounds now, and is probably 3 pounds underweight. She's certainly got some Shar Pei. I'm guessing some pit bull too. I think it's pretty likely that she is the product of 2 mutts. She isn't pit bull enough or Shar Pei enough to have had purebred parents.

She does have some paws to grow into, but if she is 6 months old, I don't think she'd get double big as an adult. I think it's pretty sure she's gotten a little stunted by starving. I was looking at Daisy's spay record from when she was 6 months old. Daisy weighted 45lbs and came out with a prime weight of 80lbs.

Who can be sure, but I'm figuring 35 pounds, but if some of my guesses are wrong, certainly no more that 50. The vet figured my guessing was probably about right. I'll have a better idea in 6 months.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:59   #211
rockouthippie
Banned

Bossy:

Old 28th September 2010, 23:27   #212
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I think she is part Fox Hound or beagle mix. And "our" lil BB is not a pole dancer. Do you see clear heels? No? I didn't think so.
Old 28th September 2010, 23:46   #213
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

looks pretty playful and healthy

Old 29th September 2010, 17:51   #214
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, I think it's part Beagle. She does have a "hard coat" across the back. You inadvertently solved another mystery. The large mutt checking out the tree on the far right of the video. Nobody was ever sure about what "Hunter" was, but it seems like American Foxhound fits. He's a big fella. Hard coat. Yep.

Luckily BB isn't as yappy as a beagle. Hunter, like a foxhound is yappy as hell.
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:14   #215
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Beagles and hounds tend to be stubborn mofos, and some people even go as far as saying they don't belong indoors (for other reasons), but I'm guessing you have the patience and willingness to train enough to get past those sorts of things. I hope that whatever happens to her, she has the sort of good life that the past dog had.

My hound has a "hard" black coat too. Interesting. I notice that about a large portion of hound dogs now that you mention it. Now you've got me looking for black backs on dogs.

Old 2nd October 2010, 10:15   #216
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

From years ago....my Gitano (Full sister to Nikko) She was very..very pretty and just gooofy for her dada, Steve.
pssst. We got her when she was 7wks old. She was very attached...which is a good thing.

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 15:45.
Old 2nd October 2010, 16:19   #217
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Now that's what I'm talking about. I really love the look of huskies and malamutes, and I like their demeanor.

That doesn't look much like NYC! It looks like heaven for a dog. Almost looks like the dog is on some kind of path but is checking back for some reason. Also gives just enough background to give a viewer a setting instead of having the dog dominate the "canvas". Did you take that pic?

I also really like the coloring and imperfections of the picture. Many artists spend a lot of time with photo editors trying to give images "character" with filters, tint, contrast, and other mods, but you can tell that's a true original that doesn't need to be altered. I look at it the way I do the occasional pop and crackle of an old record - it adds to the effect rather than subtracts.

Nice photo! Now go find me another dog - a malamute or husky!

Old 2nd October 2010, 19:02   #218
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

The picture was taken by me. It was in New Hope, Pa. By the river ..on a 20 acre Estate that we took care of, for room and board, in a cottage apartment. It also had woods which were attached to the property. The"Character" to the photo is because it is old and had some creases in it. And I don't have Photoshop and wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it. But I like that fall picture very much. Her sister was beautiful, also.
I had one of "Hitter" mousing...which I can't find, in Vermont. She always thought the weather was getting nice when it was about zero degrees out. And, of course, she loved the snow.
Nick is the only person, here, to have seen Nikko's baby picture..because I am holding her. She is only 8 to 10wks old and has a nice big "puppy" belly and huge paws and great eye makeup. ♥
Nikko abd Bily(cropped) Princeton University...way back in the day!

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 15:45.
Old 7th October 2010, 10:52   #219
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

For Ted! Tacky Movie, mainly for kids..I've seen it twelve times.

The trailer, which ain't bad, is not how the dogs are really introduced..why they sometimes do that bothers me...
Old 8th October 2010, 06:55   #220
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Beagles and hounds tend to be stubborn mofos, and some people even go as far as saying they don't belong indoors (for other reasons), but I'm guessing you have the patience and willingness to train enough to get past those sorts of things.
I'd say BB is a little stubborn. Potty trained now trustworthy. Chewing stuff up hasn't been anything expensive so far. She's eaten a cardboard box, a stuffed animal and tore some vis-queen out of the bark dust. Nothing in the house. She is teething, so I've been telling her no and stuffing a rawhide in her mouth.

I was having a little problem with separation anxiety, but that's subsided to just wanting to go with me, not terror. No more issues that you might expect in a pup that starved a little.

Sit.. not so good. Come.. not so good... Leash is fine, except we don't quite understand what "Untangle" is yet. No more nightmares. No more hand shy. Trusts me to pick her up. She's a little too aggressive with other dogs, but not mean, just boisterous. Likes a mile run with me and the bicycle.

BB is not heavy, she's my BB It's gonna take her a while longer, but that's mainly just that she has to learn English. She has figured out her name, so we're gonna get there pretty quick I think.

I am being careful. She's been a little brutalized. In another week, she gets spayed, dew toes off and a grip of shots. In two weeks, we'll get down to some real training. She'll learn English and find out that only good things happen when daddy is happy. Stubborn isn't an issue. She'll just learn to behave because every dog really wants to be a good dog.

I remember one time, Daisy really pissed me off and I shouted her down. I looked down at this pup and realized I broke the dog. If she had tear ducts, she would have been crying. I ended up picking up a 60lb puppy and telling her I was sorry. Like Daisy, I think this one will do whatever I can make her understand, not under threat, but because she loves me.

I'm sure, like Daisy, and the rest, that BB will also learn the capital crimes which will cause daddy to wield the legendary "broom" and sweep the dog into a pile. 1 is growling at daddy. 2 is growling at children. Don't even look like you are going to growl at kids.

Other than that, we'll just more or less talk about stuff.

My mom is now in her last time in the nursing home. All of my dogs learned that growling at, or trying to bite grandma was a bad, bad deal too. Dogs zero, grandma 7. Mom used to dog sit for me, and I'd usually find my dog under the coffee table with pieces of busted broom.

Hmm... poor dog... growled at grandma huh.... I don't growl at grandma

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th October 2010 at 07:54.
Old 8th October 2010, 07:30   #221
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thanks for the video Widdy, it makes me want to dogsled.

I think my comment about indoor/outdoor placement for beagles/hounds is a result of being around a lot of old-timer hunters, some of which believe that hunting dogs belong outside for a lot of reasons that don't really seem very valid to me. Some say their noses lose the ability to discern very subtle differences in smells when exposed to indoor intense smells, some say that hunting dogs are working dogs that need a degree of separation from the family and are to be treated like good work horses, some say they need to have a non-spoiled life so that the hunt becomes the pinnacle part of their existence, some say that they get cabin fever and get rough when they can't hunt and will start chewing out of boredom, something that isn't all that damaging in an outdoor pen/kennel, etc.

I don't buy it though. All of my past and present hunting dogs spend a little time indoors, they've been somewhat spoiled, and it never seemed to make them less effective at hunting jobs, nor did they damage anything more than a non-hunting dog. I will admit that they're not in very much - they usually only bark to come in to eat and are waiting to be let out again soon after unless it's pretty far below zero in temperature outside. Sometimes when it's pouring rain they'll want to come in and shake off, but most of the time they prefer to be outside.

Old 8th October 2010, 08:09   #222
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Beagles and hounds tend to be stubborn mofos, and some people even go as far as saying they don't belong indoors (for other reasons), but I'm guessing you have the patience and willingness to train enough to get past those sorts of things.
I don't think I believe in dog stubborn Ted. Dogs are autistic and detail oriented. My dogs usually behave well as a matter of pride. It isn't exactly pride, but I think it's probably the closest human emotion I could relate it to. Or maybe confidence.

I'm not sure that hounds are any tougher to train than any other breeds. You may say stubborn, I would say harder to make confident. Maybe a little harder to get them focused. To teach your puppy, you need to get them focused a little more than would be natural. Singing to a puppy in your lap and petting it to sleep seems to help.

Most of these hunting hounds have had aggression against humans bred out of them. It wouldn't do to have to fight your dog for the game. Stubborn or a little timid? They make lousy guard dogs and barely fair watch dogs.

The rules are all the same. Build focus. Build confidence and usually dogs will be really happy to do what you tell them, because you are their primary barometer of self worth. They gain confidence from your respect and respect themselves because you respect them. The rest is just teaching them English.

After a while, when they get too rowdy or dogish, I just tell em to "Quit being a dog". BB is pooch #8 and she's gonna be just fine.

Daisy was my most naturally aggressive and dangerous dog. More than even my dobie. She turned out a Princess, but she easily could have been Queen Bitch from Hell.

It doesn't do to be rough with hounds because hounds are naturally a little timid. It doesn't do to get hard on Rottweilers because they'll kill ya.

Most people are too rough. Dogs don't have guilt, but they do have shame. I'm not saying you have to treat them with kid gloves, but they do have some limited feelings. I don't think stubborn is one. More like lack of confidence. Universally, they really want to be good.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th October 2010 at 10:15.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:03   #223
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I think most Foxhounds(Both American and British) owners I know, most in Virginia, but some on Long Island keep them "Stabled". They are barned, in stalls, right next to the horses. But things have changed for the beagle...if by himself, he/she is a wonderful house pet and so good with children.
UNO http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23096596/ Great representative of his breed.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:34   #224
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think a foxhound would be my first choice for a pet. One big problem which would probably be the worse is their tremendous voice. They are usually sweet as hell though. Yapping too much would be a beagle downfall too. Again sweet as hell.

BB isn't super noisy, but would probably not be a good apartment choice. I remember my bassett hound. He used to bay and people asked me if I had a cow in the house. Daisy would only howl at fire engines.

A-OOOOOOOOOOO! Huskies and Malamutes can sing a pretty damn fine song too.

Hunter, the neighbor dog, and apparently part foxhound..... well... he's

A-OOOOOO! I forgot one time. It was kinda early and I gently tapped on the window, just to see if people were up. Holy schmoly batman. I'm sure they were up after the song.

Daisy wouldn't bark at people coming to the front door at all. If you were sneaking around the house, like the back yard, she'd let out that rotty, snotty growl, which didn't last long because whoever it was always left
Old 8th October 2010, 10:53   #225
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^You got that right! "Hitter" howled. Nikko howled. Gitano's pups all howled and nobody really barked. They had a yelp bark. And didn't care who came in the house. Go ahead help yourself..oh, ya' mind getting me a piece of turkey meat, while you're robbing us blind? But they were both "Human Protective". And their size was a deterrent.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:39   #226
rockouthippie
Banned

Most dogs take a dim view of you screwing with their people, but hunting dogs aren't guard dogs.

Hell BB is a toy That's ok too.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th October 2010 at 13:07.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:54   #227
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I really miss having a woo-woo!
Old 12th October 2010, 03:15   #228
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I can get most dogs to howl with the aid of a trombone.

Old 12th October 2010, 09:32   #229
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I used to love setting my Malamutes "Off" . Once they got into a good "howlalong" it took awhile to stop 'em. Not that I minded. I kinda liked it...
Old 20th October 2010, 04:46   #230
rockouthippie
Banned

What?

repeat

What?

BB said BARK!

I haven't heard her bay yet. I'm glad she's starting to be at home

Anybody want the puppy in the left of the video I posted above? He's for grabs. He's a pleasant enough pup. Think he'll be on the large side. 60-80lbs I think? Portland Oregon. PM me? Needs a loving people very bad. Named Stout. About 3 months old. Chews. Jumps. Another stray. Would be a very good pup, just needs a nice mommy or daddy. Gentle. Free. If he ends up in the pound, I'm gonna be sorta sad. He's getting close.

My WOOO was 3 dogs ago. Loved WOOO. I wonder if BB will WOOO?

There's a lady whose sure....WOOO.. all that glitters is gold... WOOO and she's buying a stairway to heaven... WOOO

Last edited by rockouthippie; 20th October 2010 at 05:51.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:15   #231
beargy
Banned

I love all the pictures and stories!

I used to have a beagle when I was in high school ... my mom and I talked my dad into getting her, even though he did not want a beagle ... by the time she was six months old, she was terrorizing us, haha ... my favorite memory was from one morning when my dad had let her outside to go to the bathroom ... he came back to the table to read the paper and eat the last donut ... she jumped at the door, wanting back inside ... he went to the door, let her in ... she was on a dead sprint almost immediately! she ran, jumped on his chair, moved her head perfectly and snatched the donut from the table ... she ran behind the couch and scarfed it down before anybody could really react! great dog she was!
beargy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 19:01   #232
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by beargy View Post
I love all the pictures and stories!

I used to have a beagle when I was in high school ... my mom and I talked my dad into getting her, even though he did not want a beagle ... by the time she was six months old, she was terrorizing us, haha ... my favorite memory was from one morning when my dad had let her outside to go to the bathroom ... he came back to the table to read the paper and eat the last donut ... she jumped at the door, wanting back inside ... he went to the door, let her in ... she was on a dead sprint almost immediately! she ran, jumped on his chair, moved her head perfectly and snatched the donut from the table ... she ran behind the couch and scarfed it down before anybody could really react! great dog she was!
Remember when she mysteriously went missing? That was me.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 07:07   #233
rockouthippie
Banned

BB = Sharpei/Beagle squared. It's a new theory of relativity.

Zero to 35 NOW!

I am seriously considering a shock collar. Only because of her safety. I don't like corporeal punishment, but by the time I say STOP!, she's a quarter mile away. I'm supposed to be keeping her relatively immobile until Saturday, because she got spayed Monday. It's like trying to keep a genie in a bottle.

She met the neighbors dog unfriendly labrador today. My ex-rotty Daisy would have killed it if I let her. Nasty dog.

BB, the blur, escaped unharmed due to tremendous speed. Thankfully, without pulling a stitch. Cici did scare the shit out of her though. Hopefully lesson learned. My lesson is that BB is the blur. She's like trying to keep sand in a sieve.

It's gonna be a LONG week. On Saturday, we are going for a good long run with a bicycle. A mile at 30 every day seems to be a proper exercise regimen. I'm happy I have a racing bike.

Now snuggled around my feet. What a sweet girl. I'm an old guy, but I can still sprint 50 yards. Left in the dust Hacked up a lung. I need some track shoes.

Nightmares and night frights are gone. Running in her sleep with happy dreams. I wish my dreams were as nice. My 3rd rescue pup. She will be a lady.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:12   #234
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Don't forget to use her in your campaign. Tell her she will have a lot of responsibilities as "First Pup".
Old 21st October 2010, 17:13   #235
rockouthippie
Banned

She kicks ass on a Portuguese water dog for sure.
Old 21st October 2010, 19:46   #236
maharishi

Send a message via AIM to maharishi
I love seeing everyone's dog pictures and stories.

This is my girl, Tiffany

She's actually pretty smart (much smarter than she looks in that picture ha). In addition to the basics like sit and stay, she can do things like jump through a hoop, run in a figure eight around my legs, and twirl around while standing on her hind legs.

I adopted her from a shelter 2 years ago. Now I volunteer at the same shelter, so I can help other dogs can find homes.
maharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:25   #237
rockouthippie
Banned

What a dolly! BB is my third rescued pooch. I haven't got her to be that tongue hanging happy yet, but then I haven't had her a month. She has quit the "tail between legs" thing, so I think we're gonna get there soon. I'm sure in another month, she'll have me trained

It's been a while since I've been around one of these. Sing me a song baby.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 21st October 2010 at 20:57.
Old 21st October 2010, 21:23   #238
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*clap* *clap* *clap*
My friend Joy took the below picture in Austrian Mountains....Everytime I see a Malamute or a Siberian Husky, I think Wolf!

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 15:44.
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:11   #239
rockouthippie
Banned

An old roommate of mine had a wolf/husky mix. He could act like a dog, but I think he was more than a little dangerous and unpredictable. He liked me well enough. It was funny. I came home from work. He had dug a giant den underneath his dog house. Finally, the dog house collapsed into the hole trapping him. I couldn't figure out how to get him out. I thought about cutting into the roof of his dog house with a chainsaw. I thought he would freak too bad. I finally ended up drilling some holes and setting some big eye screws in the top of the dog house and winching the dog house out of the hole. He was highly pissed, so I'm glad I did it that way.

I'm not sure I like these arctic breeds. Even my old Samoyed was a little twitchy. Not for novice dog trainers. Malamutes and Samoyeds are trainable. I have serious reservations about Siberian Huskies, because.... let's face it... they are about a hair different than a wolf. I think everyone I ever knew that had one got bit by it. Not lethal, but some pretty nasty bites. Usually hands.

The difference between a dog and a wolf is that you can teach a dog not to kill. In Huskies, I think that line gets a little blurry. They will bite the hand that feeds them the second you don't respect them.

I'm not sure any of these breeds are great house pets. My Samoyed was agreeable enough with humans, but he was a cat killer. Boxers suffer the same defect, so I guess that wouldn't be unique. Old Daisy had it in her to get very, very nasty. I think the urge to get satanically aggressive was far more submerged than any of these arctic characters.

The second I thought Daisy was her usual lap dog... The second I thought "Ruger" (the half wolf) was domesticated, I'd get surprised. They can be so sweet and sort of lul you into a false sense of security. Like any dog, they are capable of stupid in .5 seconds. Rottweilers are a lot calmer, so you probably have 10 seconds instead of .5. In an unfamiliar environment, you've got to keep an eye on any dog. It gets even more important when you have one that is physically capable of extreme carnage.

Hell, BB has already proven she can be a handful. Not aggressive, but she's a bullet after a squirrel. This could be a problem. 100 lbs and a brain not as big as a walnut can lead to some interesting situations.

I think we are all a little crazy to let these canines in our houses. With me, I think my love of dogs.... I don't feel complete without a pooch. Maybe it's something primordial in them and us. We have had about 80,000 years of comradeship. Perhaps it's bred in both of us.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd October 2010 at 08:47.
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:41   #240
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

My Mals were very decent with people. Not agressive and great with children. They were both a nightmare with dogs that they weren't around a lot. And Gitano her, son Moose (first litter) and daughter Zoe(second litter) got a young deer in the water and it was like fucking Wild Kingdom. Bob Ellen and I got the dogs off the deer. Gitano had her nose, while Moose and Zoe had the back quaters. It was ugly. The deer was shaken up and had some bite marks but was ok. She took off after she fled out of the shalllow part of the river. The dogs didn't know why everyone was screaming and pulling on them. It seemed natural to them. In the years on and off I was down at New Hope, Pa. with them, we never had another moment like that. Well, except when Moose chased a young deer into the woods and Mom Deer chase him out and boinked him right in the head.. He flew into the house and stayed in all day. Dogs Zero Deer One.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions