Old 22nd October 2010, 10:10   #241
rockouthippie
Banned

Lucky they didn't run into a buck. My samoyed got a buck launch. I was out dirt biking and he went tearing ass after a 3 point. It was fun until the buck got tired of screwing around. Luckily, he didn't get permanently hurt. Cracked some ribs. 30 feet up in the air will do that I guess.

Daisy was fine with other dogs, but she'd scare them, they'd bite, and the gloves would come off. She would usually grab them by the ass and fling them like a rag doll. She would not pursue past that, but it made for some interesting conversations. The last time was a malamute the people a couple doors down own. A little bit of a mark on the inside of her leg, but being tossed 20 feet like a shot put.... o brother...

We had a pit bull in the neighborhood that jumped fences and fought with dogs causing a lot of vet bills.... until he ran into Daisy. What she threw over a 5 foot cyclone fence..... I'm pretty sure died. Not that I could blame her. She would never start a fight, but she was pretty effective at finishing them.

BB has already met Cici, who Daisy did the "fling" on. Cici is is a lab and completely nasty to other dogs. I hate this, but if I can't get BB to stop her bolting at 35 mph, a shock collar may be in her future. I don't believe in corporeal punishment (or under extremely limited circumstances), but it is her safety. BB is completely a lover. I don't think she'd harm a fly.

rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:05   #242
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
My dad's best friend had a pair of bred Siberian Huskies. They seemed very friendly to me when I was a toddler, although they were rather rough and a tad hyper when I got them wound up. They were never afraid to tackle me, but had a soft bite - the kind that doesn't hurt, not even to a toddler, just playful. The worst thing that happened to me with them was an accidental skull collision, and it was obvious to everyone that both the dog and I felt it pretty bad. If I had known any swear words, they would have been screamed. The dog didn't retaliate; just sorta squealed and took a few steps away. The other one just kept bugging me and the hurt dog wondering why we weren't playing anymore. I guess I've had good luck with huskies, but that's just two. I haven't really had experiences with any as an adult.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 03:41   #243
rockouthippie
Banned

My grandma raised German dachshund's. Not the little dog you see in America today. The real thing that would dig a badger out of a hole. 50 lbs. It is probably my earliest memory, sleeping with the hounds with my blankie on a wool rug. I guess that's why I love pooches and wool.

I am certain I could deal with a Siberian Husky and make it a wonderful, sociable pooch. I have had two Rotties that were that. Mastiffs, Rotties ....... even your hound that drives you crazy... and that I know you love to pieces..... It's a special bond.

With BB... give me a month or two and she'll have me well trained

Before I can train, I need a dog with no fear. Tail should be always over the back, tongue should hang out of head. BB isn't there yet. For Daisy, I was the Father and the Son, she got to be the Holy Ghost.

Dog fear gets people bit. Hounds are human timid. Arctic dogs are extremely human timid. A dog must have confidence. With all, you must get them to be 150% confident and then get them down to 100% when they piss you off. It's like my own dad. I always knew no matter how ballistic he went, he would not hurt me. It was a constant.

i can be a really intimidating figure. Daisy could be a really intimidating figure. Gentle hearts.
Old 23rd October 2010, 05:52   #244
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Perhaps that's it. I was barely old enough to walk when I started playing with those big huskeys; not exactly something for them to fear. They probably never felt the need to defend themselves around me.

Old 23rd October 2010, 12:41   #245
rockouthippie
Banned

It isn't unconditional love, like I've heard, but damn, if you love a pooch, they love you back. I remember those Dachshunds. If anyone had wanted to hurt me, it would have been over their dead body. It is weird, because I raise good dogs. If they don't like somebody, I take their word for it. I have been wrong, they weren't.

I think I could train a Husky to be just fine. I never had any problems with the half wolf one my roommate owned. It did bite him. I think it was his problem. I think the deal is respect, even in discipline.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:21   #246
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Joys Boys(at Home, Glen Cove/Sea Cliff NY)

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 15:44.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 00:13   #247
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Muscular. I like that. Those are the type of dogs you could just put a harness on, and then you wouldn't have to pedal your bike. Not even uphill.

Old 27th October 2010, 07:59   #248
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Unfortunately, they would want to get in the wagon or sled with you. One of them tries to sit in my lap. But very sweet..And their own kind of handsome..
Old 30th October 2010, 11:56   #249
rockouthippie
Banned

BB is working out to be a very nice little lady. The Sharpei blood makes the crinkles in her forehead let me know that her one brain cell is in operation. We only have a few certain words. Sit. Shake. NO. LICKIN. CHEWIN. NO JUMPIN.... like on people.

We are getting more advanced though. Cookie? Crinkles in her forehead find understanding. Another kicked to the curb pup that I took on a rescue mission. Another dog lady in the making.
Old 30th October 2010, 13:21   #250
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

She doesn't understand not sleeping with her dada, She called me!
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:32   #251
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, I know. I had to dial. She hasn't got dialing a phone down yet.

If I say "Get in your box", she hops on the bed.

If I say "Get in bed", she gets in her box. It's Daisy's old box with a good wash. 30lb bb looks like a BB on a pincushion, but I'll bet it's comfy.

This is a struggle for dominance, which I will win shortly. I have all the goodies, all the tummy rubs etc. It was really funny tonight. I have been buying medium milk bones for her. Large were a bogo. BTW- Real Milkbones(TM) are an amazing doggie dentifrice. A milk bone a day and your vet will be saying "Wow, this dog has excellent teeth". Don't use generics.

"Would you like a BIG cookie?" Expect a call OMG! It's a BIG cookie!

We are doing a lot better on confidence. Tail out from between legs over back. Lower jaw getting loose with tongue hanging out. Doggie giggles Confidence level 5 weeks ago .... zero... I think we are up to about 80%. Friends have commented that she is no longer the flea bit rubble I adopted.

Surprisingly, I think she is one of the smartest dogs I ever knew. That may not be an entirely good thing. After a few weeks, I think the general consensus of friends, family, and acquaintances is that BB is impressive.

I'm not even sure it's really a struggle for dominance. It's more testing to see what pisses Daddy off. Already, we would sure like to be the doted little princess. "UH OH!". That means daddy is not proud of me! Could you dial Widdy?

UH OH! is a good dog word. It is beyond NO. This is just before a shun. That mean old daddy might not tell me I was wonderful for 20 minutes. Expect another call.

I remembered something tonight when I was at the store. Animal crackers. If you are gonna give a puppy a training treat, a few animal crackers don't hurt.

"BB. Quit being a dog"

What words do you guys use with your dogs?

UH OH - I am not proud of you any more.
QUIT BEING A DOG - Settle down.
BANG - play dead.
I'M LOOKING AT YOU! - You are just about ready for an Uh Oh.
GO LOOK - Patrol and report your findings.
COOKIE - bread, milk bones or cookies.
LICKIN CHICKEN - Chicken
NO LICKIN CHICKEN - I am not chicken, quit lickin.
AACHT! - short for achtung .... a quick no... stronger than no... Immediate unconditional NO.
GOODIE - Meat.
GIT - go away.
THIS IS MY DINNER - quit begging.
SQUEAKY - a toy.
GET THE (NOUN) - Get what ( or who) I told you to get and bring it here.
GO SEE (NAME) - Go see the person you know by name.
WHAT? - an invitation to tell me what's on your mind.
LOAD UP - Get in a car or bed. Enter a door.
GET DRESSED - Hook up lead and collar.
OTHER SIDE - You are supposed to heel on my left, but we are temporarily walking you on the right.

These words in Doglish are a basis I use to establish basic language with dogs which usually understand a couple hundred words and proper names.

Daisy always cracked me up. She would look at me. I'd say "WHAT?". Sometimes "what" was something, nothing in particular. I could tell what she wanted as per to be let outside, lovees, water, hungry etc. Sometimes though, she'd just draw a blank and want something.

BB has learned "Go for walk?" "Get dressed"

Last edited by rockouthippie; 3rd November 2010 at 13:30.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:29   #252
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ "Get Dressed" Awwwwww! She seems like a real good smart pup. You're lucky you found each other.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:12   #253
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

http://www.wimp.com/merenguedog/

Sorry crosspost with the youtube collection, but I figured it was a good fit here too.

Mine are all asleep right now.

Old 7th November 2010, 03:51   #254
rockouthippie
Banned

Today, BB and I reached a mile marker. She knows that my hand is not to hurt her. My voice gets meaning.

Again. Dogs fall in love with their season. I love my dogs. Rain falls.
Old 7th November 2010, 04:04   #255
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yesterday Azor was eating weeds every chance he got. I kept trying to stop him, but he kept doing it, so I brought and kept him in. This is very uncommon for him. Today he was trying to do it again when we were out. In the past, I only saw dogs eating weeds when they had an upset stomach. If he keeps this shit up I might call the vet Monday. Last thing I need is for him to be sick.

Old 9th November 2010, 09:49   #256
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^You're smart and yes he can't put his fingers down his throat. Wait a day or so then it's off to the V.....E...T...' S. (Don't tell him he is going there.)
I hope he feels better.
Old 9th November 2010, 09:55   #257
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 08:32   #258
Shackstrain

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buggy Boy.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	47892

This a picture of our Australian Dingo
We found him at the shelter & had him from 2003 summer till nov 08 as he developed cancer & had to have him put down.But An excellent dog.they are oderless so get them wet & thats it , there just wet.Thats from the wild ways as I guess preys easiers to catch when the scence of smell won't save you!
When i lived in Northern ontario I got a team of huskys for a dog sled team & by the time it was said & done I was up to 15 dogs.I kept them in two big kennels out back & glad I used chain link cause when the bush food was scarce during the -50 spells the wolves used to come crusin during the night & 4' of snbow was trampled flat as the wolves were trying to figure out how dinner comes out of the cage! Must have been un nerving for the dogs.I l;augh at some big blow hards that say their dog could take on a wolf..Ya right lets match my pocket knife up to the 105mm howitzer & see how things turn out.
Those winter spells even the foxes made short oder of the towns cat population as well as pickings are easy breezy for them.The local trapper told me cats are only a 1 thought deal & can't cprhend whats really going on what their acustom to.So the foix rushes them & if he catches the cat bye bye.but the cat always blots for home so now the fox knows where he lives & during the get away leaves trils of urine which the fox picks up on * willspend the night mapping out that scent & can tell new from old piss so now he knows where the cat goes & what direction of travel & yup that the ambush spot so stupid cat 2-3 days later has forgotten how close it came & goes about bissness as usuall only this trips THE LAST ONE!..nature is an amzing thing to behold but pets are not safe umungst it.
Like coyotees use the lesser female to enduce a heat cycle so when rover gets the smell in the air & goes out for a good time (he thinks) its the Last Time..Bye bye.....
We even had a bald eagle try to take my daughters cat one time so nothings a safe bet there! bald Eagles most dence population in north America is at Ear Falls area Northern Ontario Canada !!!
Shackstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 04:51   #259
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
^You're smart and yes he can't put his fingers down his throat. Wait a day or so then it's off to the V.....E...T...' S. (Don't tell him he is going there.)
I hope he feels better.
Hell, I never had a dog that was worried about a vet. Normal dogs could eat a bowl of termites and it wouldn't bother them. If they are "off", give them half rice or spuds in their feed. Probably ate a dead gopher or something

Nose cold? No runs? No vet needed.

Weeds? They love wild onions, and it's more than a little toxic to them. Dogs don't usually eat tansy. If they eat a weed, it's probably not life threatening. You have to have sucked some sweet grass when you were a kid. Ate wild garlic and onions.

I wouldn't worry. Dogs could usually eat the ass out of a dead donkey.
Old 12th November 2010, 02:54   #260
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I agree that the weeds wouldn't hurt him. I was more worried about why he was eating them when it was uncommon for him (or any of my other dogs) to ever attempt it. He was still trying to get some weed when I came home from work Monday, but it was a very long work day, and I didn't get home until long after the vet clinic closed. I had the neighbor's kid bring him and a stool sample in Tuesday, and the vet gave him a daily pill to take. I tossed it in his food; the bastard ate every piece of food and was able to leave the pill untouched. I put it in peanut butter in a "Kong", problem solved. So now that's what I have to do for the next few days.

Old 12th November 2010, 07:42   #261
fanhost

I love DOGS..They are my favorite pets..
fanhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 09:23   #262
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
I agree that the weeds wouldn't hurt him. I was more worried about why he was eating them when it was uncommon for him (or any of my other dogs) to ever attempt it. He was still trying to get some weed when I came home from work Monday, but it was a very long work day, and I didn't get home until long after the vet clinic closed. I had the neighbor's kid bring him and a stool sample in Tuesday, and the vet gave him a daily pill to take. I tossed it in his food; the bastard ate every piece of food and was able to leave the pill untouched. I put it in peanut butter in a "Kong", problem solved. So now that's what I have to do for the next few days.
Other good trick(works well for cats) smash the hell outta' pill, either with back of spoon or Chef's Knife, and place on top of food add a touch of dog wet food or a smidge of grated cheese and they will eat it.
Like you I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Old 15th November 2010, 06:54   #263
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
the bastard ate every piece of food and was able to leave the pill untouched
Yeah, that's why I usually just pry the jaw open and kram the pills down. My dogs know I won't hurt them. Now to introduce BB to a shop vac Daisy loved it.

EDIT: I would consider our first experience with the "evil" shop vac to be a success. BB is now "pretty" and she knows it.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 15th November 2010 at 07:55.
Old 16th November 2010, 01:25   #264
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

with gel caps or caplets, smashing (or opening/pouring over fun food) is fine, but with some pills, it may defeat the purpose of the pill design depending on the pill:

Some pills are in layers - outer layer for one thing, inner layer for a "time-delay release" secondary action, where the purpose is to not give all at once. Other pills are designed to dissolve very steadily and slowly, releasing the medicine in a trickling fashion over time. Crushing would defeat these purposes. I would recommend asking the vet if you had plans to crush. I'm guessing in most cases it would be fine though. RoH's cramming is probably the most barbaric, but also probably the best way to get the pill down completely intact - the dog instinctively swallows when you let the mouth close (so long as it's the right pipe). My peanut butter way may cause the dog to bite/break the pill, also defeating the purpose I mentioned earlier in this paragraph.

Old 16th November 2010, 06:47   #265
rockouthippie
Banned

Barbaric (n) - Rockouthippie

Insert pill in craw. Grab lower jaw. Pat head. Give kiss. BB's first adventure with the shop-vac last night left her a a bit disturbed.

These sort of things are important though. She is picking up on the fact that whatever I do, it isn't to hurt her.

This is how we get brave dogs. BB will get used to the shop vac and if she's like Daze, want to get vacuumed. Most of my dogs pester me for that eventually.

Confidence. if i find fear, it is something we need to get over.

Could I lift a 92 pound Rottweiler on to a vet exam table? You bet. Daddy does not hurt.
Old 18th November 2010, 16:21   #267
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally Posted by webthing View Post
Okay, that was amazing...

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 19:02   #268
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Total Awesomeness, webthing! *For Paws Up* Argh! >.<
Old 18th November 2010, 23:05   #269
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yes, that was quite a great work of literature. I usually hate reading stuff like that, but that was very well done, especially since I have made such moves in my past.

Old 19th November 2010, 03:39   #270
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, it had snowed the night before and there was still snow on our front lawn, and that was enough to catapult both dogs back into hysteria.
I hate to be a grumpy old bastard, but this entire article reflected extremely poor or non existent training.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th November 2010 at 05:57.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:27   #271
rockouthippie
Banned

I win. This beat up little pooch finally let me pet her to sleep. Now we can gently train.

Spayed, microchipped, shots in order, 39 lbs (up 13 lbs) and getting confident. This is gonna be a great dog. If I understood the extent to which this pup had been abused, I would have been pissed. If I see her former master, it will take everything in me not to show him what a beating is.
Old 10th December 2010, 20:13   #272
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Canine Schultz Honored
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...tribute-to-K-9
Lost life in the line of Duty. He was a very Good Dog.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:33   #273
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

serves him right for ripping up that hot tub cover

/ducks

(kidding of course) I hope they throw the book at the robber of the Chinese joint. Anyone that's intentionally mean to a dog should be punished hard. Sure they guy could claim it was self defense, but really, if he had submitted, the dog would have been commanded to back down.

Old 11th December 2010, 13:39   #274
rockouthippie
Banned

Poor dog. Shoulda been a cowboy.
Old 12th December 2010, 16:22   #275
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

It looks like they gave him a very respectful funeral. He was at least honored in death.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:10   #276
rockouthippie
Banned

BB... now 44 lbs. I have a hell of a chest cold. She is sleepless and if I let her out, she is noisy too. We have not been exercised well enough cause daddy is hacking up guck. I did show her the bottle of "Sweet baby Rays", which seems to have calmed her down.

I have been trying to go to sleep for 3 hours. Should this dog wake me before I need to pee in 7 hours, could anyone recommend how to prepare a puppy for breakfast I have some eggs and I'm sure proper seasoning. I just never ate a puppy so early in the day.
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:15   #277
rockouthippie
Banned

Finally, I got to sleep, and I did not turn BB into BBQ. This has got to be the worst cold I have ever had. I don't think it's actually the flu.... just a very bad cold.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:15   #278
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I hate bad colds. They're bad enough to make everything miserable, but not bad enough where I can willingly miss work. When I get the flu, it's bad enough where I can stay home and although it's physically stressing, I don't have to deal with working sick.

The dogs here seem to be unaffected by all the painfully cold and windy days. I don't know how they can go out there and run around in the snow naked when it's 8 degrees (F) with heavy winds, bringing the wind chill well below zero. When I call them in, they give me a look like I just stole their toy. Crazy bastards.

Old 3rd January 2011, 08:35   #279
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
BB... now 44 lbs. I have a hell of a chest cold. She is sleepless and if I let her out, she is noisy too. We have not been exercised well enough cause daddy is hacking up guck. I did show her the bottle of "Sweet baby Rays", which seems to have calmed her down.

I have been trying to go to sleep for 3 hours. Should this dog wake me before I need to pee in 7 hours, could anyone recommend how to prepare a puppy for breakfast I have some eggs and I'm sure proper seasoning. I just never ate a puppy so early in the day.
You would no more hurt that puppy than kill a child, ya' big liar head.
But, yes I've thought of "How To Murder My...Dog Or Cat.." briefly....then they do something..look at you wiggle, weave maybe smile and it's gone.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:46   #280
rockouthippie
Banned

The BB bunny is in my bed. Try to keep your best friend off the furniture. You love a dog, it loves you back.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions