Old 17th September 2012, 12:33   #1
MasterDav

[HELP] Interface customizing

Hi,

Years ago, I was a strong user of Winamp but then I got "forced" to use iTunes along my iPhone 3GS for years.
With the recent iPhone 5 announce, and revelations of a real failure, I'll enter Android world.
That means I'll be able to get rid of iTunes and all of Apple's damn environment.
The trick is, I got used to iTunes interface and its medial library, while I always managed my music basically through explorer before.
By luck, Winamp has a media library, but I'd like to customize it to my likings.

What I want to achieve, is to merge sections 1 and 2 of this:

Into that:

Today we've got 16:9 or 16:10 screens, I find it stupid to keep stacking vertically instead of using horizontal space offered by those resolutions.

I also want to disable the tab-bar numbered "3" in my first pic, and disable video, vizualisation and browser functions.

Thanks for any help you could offer, I've searched alot but didn't find any solution.
MasterDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 20:29   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MasterDav,

Welcome back!

Alas, the Big Bento all-in-one skin is what it is. I gave up on it long ago, but for a different reason. There are several, although somewhat limited, customization options. Have you tried them all? Have you tried creating a 'smart view' closer to what you would like?

It is very time consuming looking at other skins (or plug-ins), but that is the only recourse we users have. There are skins claiming to be iTunes-like.

Hopefully, some WA skinners will be providing some more alternatives soon for wide screen users like us. From what I've heard, it is hard to do because of the underlying WA structure. That has not changed much since the last big change years ago, which so many objected to. Remember WA is over 15 years old, unfortunately, patching on instead of rebuilding (as with many things) is still the most viable option. Also, if statistics (from last year) can be believed, actual wide screen users (those numbers are growing) are still a substantial minority.

Winamp v5.9.1.10029 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 21:11   #3
MasterDav

Hi and thanks for you answer,

Indeed I tried all settings I could find for WA media library, such as new smart view etc...
Pic is what I got closer to iTunes layout.
Got no more luck with skins or even ClassicPro, even if I could hide tabs with this last one.

I may begin to lurk on Foobar and it's full flexibility, plus it's open source.

Thanks and regards,
David.
Old 17th September 2012, 21:27   #4
DrO

foobar2000 is not open source (dunno where you've gotten that idea from).

from what you're wanting. #3 requires an edit to the skin and #1 and #2 are independent of the skin and there is no way to get the bottom (#2) to the right of #1 (from what i remember it was due to an Apple 'issue' that the Winamp view has had to be like it is).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 21:49   #5
MasterDav

My bad, didn't knew that only Foobar's SDK is BSD licensed.

Please, how can I edit BigBento skin to get the #3 ?
For the album/tracks merge, I'll have to get used to a new layer once again

Regards,
David.
Old 17th September 2012, 21:51   #6
DrO

i don't know the specifics other than it's likely to have to require editing of the xml and maki files which make up the skin (unless someone has made a patch that i'm not aware off). sorry but i'm not able to aid you further on this (i really dislike having to do official changes on the Bento skins let alone trying to make custom modifications).

-daz
Old 17th September 2012, 22:08   #7
MasterDav

Thanks for your advices. don't worry, let the thread live and see if someone has a clue on how to disable the tab bar and its sections.

Thanks and regards,
David.
Old 18th September 2012, 02:28   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
(from what i remember it was due to an Apple 'issue' that the Winamp view has had to be like it is).

-daz
If you are suggesting Apple was granted a patent on a view layout, if so then the current efforts to revise patent law are well overdue.

IMO, some things should not be patentable (if that is a word). What these things are would be hard for me to define in general, but I'll know them when I see them.

For those things that are granted a patent, as long as the patent fees are not outrageous (which I agree could be hard to determine in some cases) and the patent does not last forever, I have no issues with it. Real people (not corporations) should be paid for their useful and marketable ideas (excluding view layouts and other things to be named later).

But seriously, it's not so much the patents that are a problem. It's the not wanting to pay patent fees that create issues. Winamp ownership could figure out a way to pay a reasonable fee and still provide the 'free' version. Nothing is really free anyway. Everything is paid for, either directly or indirectly.

Old 18th September 2012, 03:05   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDav View Post
Thanks for your advices. don't worry, let the thread live and see if someone has a clue on how to disable the tab bar and its sections.

Thanks and regards,
David.
To Anyone Who Knows,

Are users permitted to make mods of what WA provides for other than personal use? In other words, how far can one user go in telling another how to re-engineer something WA provides (directly edit files that make up official skins, for example) before permission from WA ownership is required?

Old 18th September 2012, 03:11   #10
DrO

the whole of the Bento and Modern skin files are provided to be used to work out how to do things for other skins, etc as per here. as long as you don't just rename the skin and call it your own then you can basically do what you want be it making a patch to just using a small part of it.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support