• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beegee10
    • Apr 2011

Various Artist/Compilation Albums

Hi

I am wondering if there is definative answer for fixing the Various Artists/Compilation Compilationissuse with WinAmp for Android? If so can make it a sticky so that we dont have to troll through many different posts to try and find it?

I have tried making the "Album Artist" default with "various" typed in on Compilation Albums on my naming system but when I have streamed that to my HTC Desire HD Phone I still have one Album per song. Therefore I end up with 10-20 Albums with the same name on the phone, also is there an easier way of changing the "Album Artist" without doing it for each song? A Excel style copy and mass paste instead of having to do it one song at a time?

I have a load of Compilation Albums of rare groove,soul,funk,northern soul,electro,breaks and nuggets and the thought of having to sit at my computer for days doing data entry just.....well there are far better things I'd rather be doing....
  • deano131
    • Apr 2011

I'd appreciate some help with this too, just trying to move from iTunes and have years of album art and compilations to sort out...

Comment

• MrSinatra
      Forum King
      • Dec 2004

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
      --
      BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
      Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
      Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Beegee10
        • Apr 2011

Cheers

and just to make it simple for anyone else

In Your WinAmp "Preferences" in the side menu under "Media Library" you will find "CD Ripping", highlight this. On the right hand side you will see a Tab marked "OutputFile Settings" choose this.

Under "Specify the naming convention for ripped tracks"
        Enter the following

"<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>"

This will rip your albums in a Artist folder with the Album in a sub folder on your PC.

With your Android device connected/discovered by WinAmp, go back into "Preferences" and in the side menu under "Media Library" you will find "Portable", highlight this. On the right hand side under "Specify the naming convention for copied tracks"

Enter the following

"<AlbumArtist> - <Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>"

This will now copy Various Artist/Compilation Albums on to your Android device as one Album.

Comment

• MrSinatra
          Forum King
          • Dec 2004

hmmm,

i have to admit, i don't have this straight yet.

first, its important to point out that wired and wifi work totally differently. from what i can tell, it seems like ver 1.0.3 of the winamp android app seems to now handle the comp issue properly ON WIFI ...assuming you have proper AA tags, and without you, the user, making any changes to your prefs at all. the one issue is that when you go into albums, it lists the album only once (thankfully) but as being by one of the artists on the album, rather than sensibly using the AA tag. thats a bug the devs need to fix, but at least it basically works.

wired is a totally different story. i haven't gotten it to work right yet. there are many threads on this now, but i can't seem to get a dev to explain it or even acknowledge it.

see this thread:

Help us build what we feel is the best media playback and management app on Android!

i'm still looking for answers to my last post.

with that in mind, i'll respond below:

Originally Posted by Beegee10 View Post
          Cheers

and just to make it simple for anyone else

In Your WinAmp "Preferences" in the side menu under "Media Library" you will find "CD Ripping", highlight this. On the right hand side you will see a Tab marked "OutputFile Settings" choose this.

Under "Specify the naming convention for ripped tracks"
          Enter the following

"<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>"

This will rip your albums in a Artist folder with the Album in a sub folder on your PC.
          yes, i did that. but it still didn't work, so i stopped trying things at that point, basically thinking i might make lots of changes to the defaults that will be hard to undo (and/or unnecessary) if the devs actually address the problem head on for wired as they did wifi.

Originally Posted by Beegee10 View Post
          With your Android device connected/discovered by WinAmp, go back into "Preferences" and in the side menu under "Media Library" you will find "Portable", highlight this. On the right hand side under "Specify the naming convention for copied tracks"

Enter the following

"<AlbumArtist> - <Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>"

This will now copy Various Artist/Compilation Albums on to your Android device as one Album.
          ok, this confuses me.

i do see where this shows up under prefs when wired, and at the top it has a checkmark called "use CD rip setting" so this whole screen shouldn't matter, and indeed its greyed out. however, it doesn't seem to use my CD rip settings.

i assume you unchecked "use CD rip settings" but then what you have above looks like a typo to me, don't you mean to include a slash? you have:

code:
          <AlbumArtist> - <Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>
          the default is:

code:
          <Artist> - <Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>
          but shouldn't there be a slash? like this:

code:
          <AlbumArtist>\<Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>
          ?

and on a whole different note, i thought <Artist> was essentially albumartist, aka TPE2? (in the same way that <Trackartist> is really artist, aka TPE1)

look at the "format help" button next to where you enter that string.
          --

Comment

• MrSinatra
            Forum King
            • Dec 2004

all, please see this thread:

Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

any helpful detailed feedback or observations to that thread will be appreciated.
            --

Comment

• investorxt
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Hey there

It is actually the very first posting. I just just needed to say hey there.

Comment

Working...
              X