Old 8th May 2007, 22:37   #1
bdrv

intergalactic series

crazy monsters from outer space have invaded-navigate the labyrinth of fractals and gets to the monster pupation base and set up a human awareness course amongst the monster youth to decide the fate of the humans.

Intergalactic series version 1-
Attached Files
File Type: rar -intergalactic series 1a.rar (70.9 KB, 870 views)
bdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 22:38   #2
bdrv

part2
Attached Files
File Type: rar intergalactic series 1b.rar (44.7 KB, 622 views)
Old 9th May 2007, 05:19   #3
Phat
Major Dude

These came from the fractal dancer presets right?
Attached Files
File Type: zip phat_intergalactic_remixes.zip (6.8 KB, 548 views)
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 07:16   #4
bdrv

yep, it uses the just borders and the shape from the fractal dancer...it uses the zoom code from electron loom which is a remix of drifter which has its roots in the radius zoom of fractal dancer.

on top of that is superimposed code by telek -cockpit superoptic, which is used in all of the intergalactic except the flag series this gives the main zoom balance to the centre and the sides. on top of that main template is electron loom, and a very important effect from Valhalla that makes a round zoom in the centre like a Fresnel lens, like the intergalactic stripe gun.

the thermocline effect is dx dy code. two lines at the end.

basically by mixing about five completely contrasting zooms with different proportions. it's kind of like using the program like a full-on formula workstation with access to the formulas as a database as much as possible by copying and pasting tons of formula clips around ....see the remix guide on this forum.

the ultimate goal I have with this program is to have access to all the segments of formula by type in the most orderly database possible. fortunately I had help from some aliens that live in my cupboard also.

I would love to write everyone's credits on all the formula remixes but some of them are mixes of like 8 people and I have RSI so I don't type stuff I just fuck about

I think you could make that a yes

Attached Files
File Type: rar mddb.rar (55.2 KB, 641 views)

Last edited by bdrv; 9th May 2007 at 07:32.
Old 9th May 2007, 09:24   #5
Phat
Major Dude

Coo. I just screw around with milkdrop still sometimes when someone does something I can remix quick because it's another medium really.
Old 9th May 2007, 13:38   #6
bdrv

I'm just at the stage where I'm addicted to it the trying to find out what the best possible visualisation I can do with it is. I've just done 1000 in a couple of months so the workrate is quite fast using automated macros, I would write all the macros for you lot so you could remix with high productivity also but I don't know what macro program is free and good enough for it.
Old 9th May 2007, 17:54   #7
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
give your cupboard aliens my best regards.

Occasionally i miss a more pattern-oriented editor to mix some parts of formulas.
But automation? hm? I think i would miss the empirical modelling process if i use tools instead of manually carving out some cool effects.
I'm more addicted to the immediate feedback of changing vars one after the other - until i think it isn't longer a provisional result. Some nights of sleep later i have new ideas for a new rough direction. But practically the result is'nt predictable at all.
The best macro program i know is placed between my ears, just because it is not orderly but creative ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip flexi - some fractals.zip (11.2 KB, 555 views)
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 23:01   #8
bdrv

thats amazing...
Old 10th May 2007, 01:11   #9
Phat
Major Dude

word.
Attached Files
File Type: zip phat_flexi_fractal_tree_remixes.zip (5.9 KB, 593 views)
Old 10th May 2007, 05:27   #10
redi jedi
Will code for food

hey bdrv, take a look at autohotkey, its a bomb ass macro program, made a few macros for games and a feed reader for my t-shirt store, its pretty powerfull(can even do dll calls) and ya can make guis with it too!

I would like to know some more about what you've automated so far, i've been interisted in auto presets creation for a while now, just havent had time to play with it. mabye we can work together to make a remixing program or something...

Blah!
redi jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 08:13   #11
Phat
Major Dude

P.s. These only work in the newest beta...
Attached Files
File Type: zip flexi + phat fractal star_child_restless_v2.zip (3.0 KB, 573 views)
Old 10th May 2007, 10:48   #12
bdrv

Quote:
Originally posted by redi jedi

I would like to know some more about what you've automated...
this is just a fun idea at the moment, but it's actually possible to get all the lines of zoom, rotation etc from every preset and like to group them into giant database files containing like a thousand lines of zoom, or a thousand lines of sx, and save them as milkdrop presets at the top of the load list.

in these databases I would also format everything so it started like this- zoom=zoom+...

then, when you feel like remixing automatically, you just press hotkeys to load and save random zoom/cx from the database into the remix file .

for example alt/z/m goes into the zoom database gets a random line and copies it to the remix file just by using the loads save copy keys with autohotkey...

thing is that it would be really nice to be able to factorise the code to take care of all the stuff with mod/var in it...

it would take a couple of days work with my current proprietary scripting thing, it's the most logical way to make a database within the limitations of milkdrop. if it were possible to copy and save from milkdrop into a text file it would be a lot easier.
Old 10th May 2007, 14:49   #13
redi jedi
Will code for food

oh ok so your scripting through milkdrop to do it, i'm thinking make a function with autohotkey that loads a .milk file(there pretty easy to read) directly and does its thing that way...

if we can also make it so that it does some type of check to see what number range the functions will output we could also take a genetic algo and make "child" presets from sets of "parrents" and use that check to throw out the ones that will suck(high/low zoom, dx always bigger than dy, ect)

of course the main problem with that is figuring out a set of rules that make a preset suck... or not suck for that matter...

Blah!
Old 10th May 2007, 19:38   #14
bdrv

hmmm that's a big topic...
I definitely think that it's good to generate the lines of code within buffer parameters like "0<zoom<1"...but then I don't know how to implement that with automation. it might be possible to press keys that will automatically add multiply and divide small amounts at the end of lines.

modifying parameters is like replacing individual expressions in between x/y/rad/rad-1/ proportional function things, and modifying all the numbers in a kind of slow mutating fashion, and that's hard to do with automation.
it's possible to find and replace numbers and so on, it's a really really confusing to do it in maths expressions automatically. it's possible to figure it out, there's lots of possibilities, so if you kind of deconstruct it so that you can implement five or six logical mutation automations it might be possible to keep everything proportional, fill me in on that one, I would want to just get current formulas as a kind of base.

I've tried using notepad to edit formula arrangements and then refresh the preset within milkdrop flipping between the two windows and it's quite good but for me I found it got jumbled up because I had to navigate around the text file and changed the windows around.

it would be great if it was possible to find where the copy and paste function is in the milkdrop source because when Windows copies something on a clipboard, it can be in text and Excel format and everything.
Excel is supposed to be good with maths/programming and databases so it might be a good symbiosis with milkdrop.

the thing with my plan of copying and pasting inside milkdrop might take too long to be fun, and might end up with all the random formula expressions being generally not the ones with the wow factor and having to try out 15 random lines every time before getting something blinding.

it is the only solution that I understand from A to Z. and it is possible to implement it in like 2/3 days of hard work. I definitely think it's a good idea to go from lots of the code that's already written and add it together and modify it, I think it's possible to adjust and fine tune the lines by hand I think that's the most fun thing.

I reckon what you say about generating mutations of existing lines within milkdrop is the best thing, I would love to know what the most powerful and easiest and intuitive way is to do it, which programs which automation actions and which handles within milkdrop to do it from.

Last edited by bdrv; 10th May 2007 at 20:02.
Old 10th May 2007, 23:30   #15
Phat
Major Dude

Quote:
give your cupboard aliens my best regards.
Did they look like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0394...25#reader-link
Old 11th May 2007, 11:45   #16
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
of course the main problem with that is figuring out a set of rules that make a preset suck... or not suck for that matter...
but before you could figure out those rules you need to specify a rule oneself.

what do they look like? how may they be implemented?

a rule takes blueprints of presets and puts out a new preset respectivily a new blueprint. And if u call it 'genetic code', you see where i mean it to go.

Of course you need to specify the genetic code too. Let's have a look at it:

a preset declaration consists of all the values in a serialized form - this is pretty fine ;-)
But its phenotype (its appearence in milkdrop) is mostly described by... i wanna call it 'pattern' (in the end the constructs)

there are different kind of patterns:
- custom shapes
-- custom code // (consisting of vars and functions)
- simple/custom waves
-- custom code // (related vars in custom formulas)
- dx/dy code + after effects etc.
- relations of vars // (q1-q8, t1-t8)
- functions/formulas
- vars

and now comes the catch in it!
With specifying the patterns above, it's damn easy to mutate and merge presets or just to:
- extend them by parts of a database
- cut parts off
- replace parts by others
- slightly/dramatically change vars

and if u make these operations being 'patterns' within MD, your DB is simply the preset directory - including the rules to automatically/genetically evolving visuals.
Old 12th May 2007, 13:21   #17
bdrv

intergalactic series part three, more kind of pink and orange stuff going on.

DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD------->>
Attached Files
File Type: rar amazonite.rar (37.1 KB, 612 views)
Old 21st May 2007, 13:45   #18
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
i've been interisted in auto presets creation for a while now, just havent had time to play with it. mabye we can work together to make a remixing program or something...
Quote:
Originally posted by bdrv
I reckon what you say about generating mutations of existing lines within milkdrop is the best thing, I would love to know what the most powerful and easiest and intuitive way is to do it, which programs which automation actions and which handles within milkdrop to do it from.
better looking automatically generated presets will not come by chance. i withdraw my first headword. we should not need a DB.
redi jedi: didnt you say something like 'logic is the next logic step'?
How did you design the interpreter? Is it possible to add a macro processor to it?
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:36   #19
redi jedi
Will code for food

the preset interpreter inside milkdrop is the same one used in avs, just a diffrent version that was modified by ryan(I wansnt around back then)

i'm not totaly sure i like it.. or rather the way its implemented. it's seprate from the main code, like it has no access to anything inside of milkdrop, milkdrop just passes it the variable state and the code and it executes and changes the internal varables that are refrenced in the state, i cant make it actualy do things... like i tried to make a funciton that would load a picture into one of the internal textures by calling a function i made inside milkdrop... long story short it couldnt access it so i had to make a flag variable and use that to toggle weather it gets called every frame.

but to do something like equation mutation/generation inside of milkdrop would be a major pain, its better to have a seprate program that generates it, mostly so you could use a higher level language, c++ is hard when it comes to that suff...takes lots of code.. vb.net,c#,or a fast scripting language would be easyest.

the interperter itself is contatined in a seprate directory in the source, it also has directions still with it, so it should be possible to just take that out, and build it into another program so that it can see the code the same way md does... even do test runs to see if variables stay in range.

A database would be the best option.. partialy for speed, but mostly because you could store extra info about the code that the program has discovered(or a user has input) instead of having to redo it(or re-enter).

Plus i think instead of arranging by a whole preset its best to do it by algo/codeblock/and in some cases single equation. basically the smallest parts of a preset. that way all your creatpreset() function really has to do is grab a bunch of "pieces" and lump them together

Blah!
Old 24th May 2007, 12:46   #20
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

hey this is what i actually want to reach with macros too. but instead of grabbing pieces which seemingly have nothing to do with each other, i would rather like to group them to families or something.
families could be functions with similar domains and codomains (so there's no need to store these infos.)
within (sets of) families there are points at which the concrete subject simply could be replaced. (for an easy example you could swap different interpolations in their points of intersection - or even more simple: changing a value assignment in the point of equality).
With a bunch of concrete subjects in a family and with a certain propability of changing... it's already a mutating preset.

Quote:
a fast scripting language would be easyest.
so why not embedded into MD code?

I have whole trees of families tumbling on my mind. families of meta-macros for transitions in the n-th derivation of functions. (wicked, heh? )
Scripting more in a way of telling what is possible/allowed. This includes static non-morphing presets. But bit by bit you could let them be more generic.

Actually the word 'preset' doesnt fit any longer. this is more like a 'ruleset' or so

But back to reality: declaring functions/macros in MD code would be nice at all! Less annoying copy&paste, better readabilty, ...
Old 2nd June 2007, 19:56   #21
bdrv

thing is with macros as writing them in the first place, for example randomise colours is very useful, and then every time you want to do it fast it saves 20 keys.

totally into what you said man, milkdrop program model is definitely the way to go with designing a visualisation program, the logic from all presets are the same so the transition is perfect almost.
I would love to see the shapes turned into cylinders and cubes that can be used like simplified vector code but in three dimensions with an extra setting for vector instance radius/cylinder radius-and also getting all the coloured smoke effects and shader models into visualisation.

here are some others
Attached Files
File Type: rar latest alpha stuff.rar (82.2 KB, 554 views)
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:20   #22
redi jedi
Will code for food

I too would love to get 3d shapes and pixel shaders fun into md.. but I'm not sure I can do it...or that its really practical. Pretty sure that md doenst take place in the 3d section of directx, its all 2d.. I guess I could just move it to the 3d(after figureing out how) section and expose the z variable(already there?!?! but doesnt do anything now) but I have no idea if that would work.

as for the pixel shaders, I'm still working on WTF they are, and how they work.. if I'm not mistaken once its in the 3d section I could pass them the render variables and have it do more of the rendering on the card at a higher res.. plus could add cool effects I guess... dunno once ya get into all that it seems alot better to just make a new vis all together..

and I dont think I can make it so ya can add functions to presets, evallib(the preset interperter) doesnt have that capibility(I think), and thats way to low level for me to add in(alot of assembly, bleh)
although I guess I could just find another open source imbedable scripting engine and adapt that, although it would prolly change the syntax enough that current presets would need to be redone..
although it could be done at MD level, just parse off the function(s?) from the bottom of the per-frame section and basicly make them there own "section" that just gets inserted(my md before its passed to evallib) whereever the name appears.. although that would be dirty and might be slow..

wish I had more time to play with this, stupid job/bills, why cant I win the lotery!?
OHH did you guys read Giess's blog? guess he quit his job at nvida and is gonna travel for the summer, then he's gonna devote some time to visulations with all his leet demo skills.(theres a video there somewhere worth checking out..) should prove to be interisting!

mmm and I've go so many ideas for a code database I dont even know where to start...
If ya take a line of md code and replace all the symbols(+-*) on the left side of the = sign with commas:
mtime=mtime+bass*.5+bass_att;
mtime2=mtime2+treb*.5+treb_att;
rot=.5*sin(mtime-mtime2);
you end up with(minus constants and the symbol preceding them):
mtime,bass,bass_att,
mtime2,treb,treb_att,
sin,mtime,mtime2,,
or basicly a list of the functions and variables used in the line. so if you store all this info you can then take a single line, take the rot=.5yadayada line above, just given that you could auto grab a mtime, and mtime2 line to make it work, then if that line need vars you could grab lines that fed those... all randomly so it mixes diffrent versions(i use mtime alot so there would be alot of options in the database)
you could also see that it uses a sin function and make another preset with a diffrent function subed in. or see that theres a constant and make diffrent versions with diffrent values.. or even better use constants as a point to insert other code lines..(take a whole seprate rot line and insert it in parentheses where the .5 is.. plus add any lines needed to run that code)

once theres a data base and theory/code behind auto generating presets from it, it shouldnt be to hard to just make milkdrop pull presets straight from that.... damn that would be cool...

damn that got all long and shit..

Blah!
Old 3rd June 2007, 17:19   #23
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

@bdrv: wow, love your new stuff!

Quote:
damn that got all long and shit..
gogogo
dont forget: it's for all our addiction
Old 16th April 2009, 16:31   #25
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVKeo4QUL-c&fmt=18
Attached Files
File Type: zip the drill.zip (123.4 KB, 266 views)
Old 24th June 2009, 21:57   #27
yhscchpcbr

i gots to say, fleecus flockus, that is some great drill viz, i feel drilled as a result of visualizing them, yeah, even after they have disappeared from perceptive view, i do continue to witness in the minds eye some machinated satanic dischord. thank you for making my reality a powerfully abject hate/love.

ayahuasca chupacabra
yhscchpcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 11:41   #28
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

see the ad above?
"my texts get remixed" & "my texts get censored"

http://culturalrevolutionaries.org/

Intergalactic POW!

"Comin' from Uranus to check my style"

²³

Last edited by Flexi; 25th June 2009 at 12:07.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets