Old 25th January 2003, 17:20   #1
flipbunni
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2
Send a message via AIM to flipbunni
plays midis but not mp3

After downloading Winamp3, everything was going perfect. Sound was coming out of the my speakers clearly. Then after a few days, the mp3s didn't play correctly anymore. I turned the speakers to its maximum, but all I could hear was a scratchy sound. I was shocked; I couldn't listen to my Japanese mp3s . And then I found that when I played my midis on winamp, they still could play in great condition.

I tried to download another mp3, just to see if that mp3s saved onto my playlist weren't playable. But still came the scratchy sound. I tried the same thing with the midis: I downloaded a midi file. It played perfectly.

!! Why is this happening !! Help!!
flipbunni is offline  
Old 25th January 2003, 18:48   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

 
Nunzio390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tharsis Ridge (Martian lowlands)
Posts: 8,588
Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Normally I'd say to update your drivers but you said this JUST happened to you, so...

Did you inadvertantly switch from DirectSound to waveOut, or waveOut to DirectSound perhaps?

If your system is a Win9x system, use waveOut. For Win2k and XP use DirectSound.

Press CTRL+P to bring up Preferences window
Audio > Output Method
Select either DirectSound or waveOut from the dropdown choices there, depending on your system.

Also, you said that you USED TO be able to listen to your Japanese MP3's with no problem. This would be strange if any of the MP3 filenames contained any non-English characters at all. Winamp3 has a serious bug which will be addressed in the next public release, whereby it gets "confused" by foreign characters. But usually, in that case, it won't even play the MP3 at all.

Are you certain that your Japanese music was playing properly before? If not, or if some do and some don't, then you will need to replace any non-English characters with English ones, both in the filename, as well as in both the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. That is, until Winamp comes up with a "fix" for this in the next release.

P.S.

Your problem may be something as simple as a loose connection from your soundcard to your speakers. Consider that also. Doubtful though, if your MIDIs play fine. But worth checking anyway.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline  
 
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump