Old 23rd January 2012, 16:21   #1
chris.zeman

Single Live Source to Multiple Streams of Different Bitrates?

I'm running DNAS v2 on a VPS. I would like to send a single 192kbps stream to the server and have it re-encode server side to give me three additional streams of 128kbps, 64kbps and 32kbps. Is this scenario possible?

Thank you,
Chris
chris.zeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:54   #2
DrO

yes, with sc_trans installed on the VPS acting in the middle and the original stream pulled either as a relay event or feeding sc_trans as a DJ connection. or depending on how you're creating the source stream, you could just transcode everything from the start instead of having the 1 stream and 3 others which are likely to be noticeably behind the others (incase you're doing timed output is the reason for mentioning it).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:06   #3
chris.zeman

Thank you, DrO. I'll take a look at that. Do I need to purchase a license for each additional stream I want to encode or per installation? On that note, why the $5 fee? I don't mean any disrespect, but I can encode an MP3 stream using certain open-source products without paying a fee. That's what I've actually been doing for the past year, but wanted to give SHOUTcast a try.

Thank you,
Chris
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:31   #4
chris.zeman

Just to clarify...

Our programming originates from automation software running on a Mac and live feeds that are switched in on a regular basis through our infrastructure. Everything goes through a DSP (BSS BLU-80) sends the audio to a Windows PC (will eventually switch to a Barix unit). We're currently sending four streams up using Simplecast, but would like to send one stream up to conserve bandwidth on this end. It doesn't matter if the other streams are behind. Our terrestrial affiliates pick up the live feed directly.

Chris
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:39   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.zeman View Post
Do I need to purchase a license for each additional stream I want to encode or per installation?
it's meant to be one license per station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.zeman View Post
On that note, why the $5 fee? I don't mean any disrespect, but I can encode an MP3 stream using certain open-source products without paying a fee.
because Nullsoft / Aol is doing it properly. i know it can be done via open source software but that's just how it is so there's not repercussions on usage of sc_trans. obviously there's nothing stopping you using a 3rd party solution, though they generally cost a lot more so $5 isn't too steep considering (but i can see your point of view as well).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support