Old 18th January 2013, 15:18   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

Winamp Shutdown Timer/Counter?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a way to have Winamp stop playback, or stop playback and shutdown Winamp, at a certain time and/or after a certain number of songs have played.

All of the plug-ins on the main site, and even DrO's "Playlist Separator", don't work correctly on Windows versions since XP. Some don't work at all and those that work in a limited fashion all cause Winamp to crash after stopping playback.

The only way I can stop playback without a crash is to use a short playlist. There must be a better way!

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 15:29   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
even DrO's "Playlist Separator", don't work correctly on Windows versions since XP.
care to clarify as i had tested it on Windows 7 a while back and all functionality with that plug-in did work - at least under my testing.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 15:52   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
care to clarify as i had tested it on Windows 7 a while back and all functionality with that plug-in did work - at least under my testing.

-daz
I insert a default stop separator and the playback stopped as expected. But when I subsequently clicked on Winamp it crashed (stopped responding) and I had to use Win task manager to shutdown the process.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 18th January 2013, 16:02   #4
DrO

never seen or heard anyone have that beforehand. stopping just tells Winamp to stop and doesn't do anything else. if anything that sounds like some other plug-in messing with things.

-daz
Old 18th January 2013, 16:11   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Other plug-ins could be the case. I use a number of them, mostly yours. I will disable them (when I get some time later today) and see if it makes a difference.

But ultimately I need a solution that works with these plug-ins, so maybe I'm stuck with using a short playlist when I want to go to sleep with Winamp playing.

I removed in_text.dll after it didn't work for me.

Old 18th January 2013, 19:07   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if only we had a safe mode! u could enable one by one...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 21:01   #7
DrO

a safe mode wouldn't help in this case as the whole point of a safe mode would be to load _just_ known plug-ins and not allow the loading of anything unknown.

as for selective picking of plug-ins, the process of altering the loading order can affect issues appear so it might have it's use in some cases but if it's a multi-plug-in issue then you'd still have trouble even with the means to be selective.

-daz
Old 18th January 2013, 21:40   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, i think thats valid, but to me one permutation of a safe mode would be to let the user decide, plugin by plugin, which ones to load. (in a previous thread i went into great detail of this version of what i called safe mode)

winamp could still determine the order of loading, but each plugin would need the user to "ok" it. (a nice touch would be allowing the user to ok as a group each type of nullsoft plugin, so eg. all nullsoft input plugins could load as a group, or not, based on what the user wanted)

i thought the beta had a safe mode of some type?

--
Old 18th January 2013, 21:49   #9
DrO

you're mixing up safe mode and plug-in management. as a safe mode should only ever be known plug-ins, no more and no less.

-daz
Old 18th January 2013, 21:52   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

thats fair enough, i'm just recalling it all from some months or perhaps years ago at this point. safe mode, plugin verification, individual loading, it was all discussed in that one thread. i'll look for it later. but i'm happy to have terms defined as you see fit.

--
Old 18th January 2013, 22:39   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Guys,

I got the "Playlist Separator" to work without having to remove any of my non-official plug-ins.

First, what did not work:

I selected the "Insert separator preset... ?S%stop%" option. When the playlist reached it, the playback stopped but I did not get the usual "End of Playback" notification. Instead the mouse pointer turned into the hourglass when I moved it over Winamp. After waiting awhile, I tried clicking on Winamp anyway and that's when it crashed.

Trying to use the preset still did not work after I removed all my non-official plug-ins (replaced the output plug-in with DirectSound).

What did work:

I first selected the "Insert separator... (Alt+T)" option. Then I selected the separator that appeared and selected the "Separator extras" option to "Stop playback on reaching this separator". Then when the playlist reached it, the playback stopped as normal and I got the "End of Playback" notification.

This worked with the non-official plug-ins removed and it still worked after replacing all my non-official plug-ins. So, I'm once again a 'happy camper'!

Old 18th January 2013, 22:44   #12
DrO

can you post the playlist entry which was finally added and worked please (is just to make sure what was added so i can try to check back on the plug-in handling at some point).

-daz
Old 18th January 2013, 23:00   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

It looks real simple. The path + filename and a pound sign.

:D:\Music\MP3 Files\M Names\Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing.mp3#

Edit: That is not supposed to be a smilie at the beginning. My music is on my D drive and the entry starts with a ":".

Edit 2:
The full entry was not highlighted when I first copied it. The full entry is below:

separator://:D:\Music\MP3 Files\M Names\Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing.mp3#

Old 18th January 2013, 23:28   #14
DrO

oh ok, it was the newer format of stop separator than the old one. is probably an ATF handling issue with the first type you tried from what i vaguely remember of the code (don't have it easily accessibly anymore).

still never get why you crazy americans call # 'pound' when £ is 'pound' and # is 'hash'.

-daz
Old 18th January 2013, 23:32   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

I think I spoke too soon. Now that process is not working also.

Old 18th January 2013, 23:36   #16
DrO

other option is to queue up the files wanting in the jtfe queue and then make use of the on end of queue options to try to achieve things. otherwise, you're going to have to get coding

-daz
Old 18th January 2013, 23:40   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, I'll try that. Sorry for the bit of bother, old chum.

Old 19th January 2013, 00:07   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

@DrO,

Last comment on this for awhile (I hope). I set the General Preference option to stop playback when a separator is played independant of a stop separator. This seems to consistently stop playback and advance to the next entry in the list.

This is even better than all the other steps. I just stick a plain separator in where I want the playlist to stop. This will suit my purposes just fine.

Old 19th January 2013, 14:33   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

just fyi, you can disable smilies in a post. just look for the checkbox to do so when replying.

--
Old 3rd May 2013, 08:31   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
other option is to queue up the files wanting in the jtfe queue and then make use of the on end of queue options to try to achieve things. otherwise, you're going to have to get coding

-daz
Hi,

With the sunset of the "Playlist Separator" plug-in, I decided to try the above suggestion. It can be made to work, but there are a couple of issues. I don't expect any changes to be made in the near future (if ever), but wanted to let you know.

First:
The 'Stop playing' on end of queue option causes the same kind of Winamp crash described earlier in this thread.

So I changed the playlist editor playback option to 'manual playlist advance' to have Winamp stop playback after the songs in the JTFE queue had played and control is returned to the playlist editor. Playback stops immediately (which is good, I had expected 1 more song in the playlist editor list to play). Having to shutdown and restart for the switch to manual advance to activate was also unexpected, but understandable.

Second:
After selecting all the songs in the queue and starting playback, instead of playing thru all the songs in the JTFE queue and stopping, the first song added to the queue is played twice before the remaining songs are played. The first song is not automatically removed from the queue until the start of it's second playback.

Edit__
If additional songs are added to the JTFE queue after the initial group is playing, then 1 additional song in the playlist editor list is played after all the songs in the queue are played. The selection of the additional song depends on whether the 'resume playback on expected item' option is enabled. This is the behavior I expected. Maybe the double playback of the first song of the initial group of queued songs is related to the non-playback of an additional song in the playlist editor list, when only an initial group of songs is queued.

Old 23rd May 2013, 20:32   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

A update on my efforts to have Winamp serenade me to sleep.

With the current beta version (5.7.3392), 2 things have changed.

First, enabling the 'Stop playing' on end of queue option no longer causes Winamp to crash. But it also does not cause playback to stop.

However, I'd rather have Winamp ignore the option than crash. I have not tested this without my current 3rd party plug-ins. I need a process that works with these plug-ins since there are no native alternatives for the features they provide.

Second, there is no longer a need to stop and restart Winamp to switch from automatic to manual playlist advance and back again. The stop - restart delay was about 10 seconds on my system, but 0 delay is better.

So, I still need to switch to manual playlist advance to have playback stop after all songs in the queue have played. The first song added to the queue is still played twice.

Old 24th May 2013, 00:00   #22
djpete
Major Dude

Have you tried another plugin for example this one?
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/winamptimer/94250

this one too
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/kill-winamp-v150/85519

PS Where do Dr O's plugins reside these days?

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 02:42   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi djpete1959,

I've tried them both and they caused Winamp to crash on my system when they tried to stop playback. Both were developed when a different version of Windows than I'm currently using was in use. I was also using a different Winamp version when I tried them. I intend to try them again after version 5.7 is formally released.

Do they work for you?

DrO decided to pull his plug-ins last February. It was hard for me to accept at the time, but I realize it is his right to do as he chooses with his work. Those in the Essentials Package are still available for the time being.

Old 24th May 2013, 02:49   #24
djpete
Major Dude

just installed and tried the first one works fine.
Im on Win 7 64bit and also use a few plugins including playlist file remover and it still works fine. I use classic skins though.
Sounds like may be an issue with one of your plugins.
Appreciate the DrO update re plugins.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 24th May 2013, 03:04   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
just installed and tried the first one works fine.
Good to hear and I will try it again with the stable 5.7 release and post my results.

It could have been a conflict with the cPro modern skin and/or 1 or more of my 3rd party plug-ins when I tried it before (near end of last year). However, I'm not willing to give any of them up for this purpose if that turns out to be the case.

What I'm doing now (as outlined beginning in post #20) is working within the relatively minor limitations I listed.

Thank you for your interest.

Old 24th May 2013, 03:07   #26
djpete
Major Dude

oh and Im not using the Beta.
Just 5.63 latest

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 24th May 2013, 03:16   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, understood. Just my bad luck.

Old 24th May 2013, 03:18   #28
DrO

i'll have a read through of the jtfe related issues at some point over the next few days, just acknowledging i've seen this even if i'm not able to do much towards checking / testing things (as i'm not too surprised if things aren't working in jtfe as i've done little towards it in a few years other about 20mins to make 2 minor revisions to it as part of the whole 5.7 phase).
Old 24th May 2013, 04:06   #29
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
i'll have a read through of the jtfe related issues at some point over the next few days, just acknowledging i've seen this ...
Ok, thank you. I suggest you wait until 5.7 is finished and you have had a little time to decompress. I admit I don't want you to possibly be in a hurry to kill off another of your plug-ins.

And from the 'No Rest for the Weary' category, can you or someone take a look (after 5.7 is finished) at the following user's wish request for the implications of making it a native option. The connection between these threads is rather oblivious.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=360538

Old 28th June 2013, 17:36   #30
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a way to have Winamp stop playback, or stop playback and shutdown Winamp, at a certain time and/or after a certain number of songs have played.

All of the plug-ins on the main site, and even DrO's "Playlist Separator", don't work correctly on Windows versions since XP. Some don't work at all and those that work in a limited fashion all cause Winamp to crash after stopping playback.

The only way I can stop playback without a crash is to use a short playlist. There must be a better way!

Download: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/winamp-...ication/138943

One of my oldest applications i have. I own (german) website for WA 2.91, this is there. Of course virus proved. Otherwise i would never offer.
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:18   #31
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi OlexijL,

Thank you for your interest in my quest.

Are you saying your plug-in works with Winamp 5.6.4.3418 running on the 64-bit version of Windows?

Old 29th June 2013, 02:07   #32
lostinsound

It works for me using 5.64.3418 on Win7 (64 bit). Pretty neat application. I think the song that was playing even faded out?

Does it kill Winamp different than a normal shut down? I just noticed that the song that was playing on shut down doesn't start playing again when I restart like it normally does with the Autoplay plugin. Not requesting a change to the application or anything, I was just curious.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 10:14   #33
OlexijL

Quote:
Hi OlexijL,

Thank you for your interest in my quest.

Are you saying your plug-in works with Winamp 5.6.4.3418 running on the 64-bit version of Windows?
Works on every Windows version and every Winamp version known. 2.xx and 5.xx.

Even if i consider this as plugin, it is still standalone app and you have to run it in the background (minimized window) till the end of the timer.

As about the killing of Winamp - i dunno. Seriously, i don't know if it is a difference between normal shutdown and shutdown via app. But i seriously like it.

To say it clearly, this was not compiled by me, so how it works - i can't tell. I am just a user. The advantage of using such a thing - no crash of Winamp - and you can shutdown PC as well if you want.
Old 29th June 2013, 11:48   #34
DrO

you should have said from the start that it's not something you've written (which was implied by the first post relating to this). and it not allowing plug-ins to close / save correctly doesn't sound like a solution to the issue either.

Aminifu, I'll need to give you the procdump instructions (unless you can find it from my posting history before I get a chance) as that should make it easier to track down the jtfe crash with that option (as 5.7 is going to in progress for quite a while).
Old 29th June 2013, 13:01   #35
OlexijL

I am unsure about some other solution, but i think it is one.

Aminifu asked about the solution for how to end Winamp after several amount of time.

* should be a timer
* should cancel playback
* should shutdown Winamp

my bad i did not tell from the start it wasn't something i wrote, but all 3 points are covered by the app.
It doesn't crash Winamp (so safe shutdown) - unless you use some plug-in which plays music on Winamp launch, this breaks playback as well - in my opinion it works quite good.

Maybe you as professional see the plug-in safety on a different level, but if it works, why not use it?
Old 29th June 2013, 18:38   #36
DrO

based on the comments so car it doesn't work correctly in all cases so is as reliable as my option which is what led to this thread in the first place. so I just need to sort out a solution to the issue with my plug-ins against the crash Aminifu is experiencing and that should be things back to normal.

yes there is value to the option you've provided but if it causes issues with plug-ins (as there's nothing to say it won't cause issues with the native plug-ins in the same way) then it's down to the individual as to whether to use it or not.
Old 29th June 2013, 19:40   #37
OlexijL

Found out who actually made it: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/winamp-...ication/138943
Old 29th June 2013, 20:42   #38
OlexijL

As for automatic playback, it works for me after some testing well.

1. Be sure to have NO OTHER 3rd party plug-ins for automatic playback, this feature is covered by Koopas Essentials Pack (http://www.winamp.com/plugin/winamp-...k-v5-64/150126), eventually you may install localization for 5.64 verified.

2. Configure in Global Settings the autoplay feature (Essentials Pack)

* set autoplay feature to enabled

Since the app breaks the playback as if you simply press the stop button, you have to configure that option as well.

PS: I needed to rebuilt my complete profile from my backup to ensure the functionality. However i need now to make a bugreport to Koopa...
Old 29th June 2013, 21:41   #39
DrO

that would be my plug-in in the Essentials Pack...

and i've changed the original link from your site to the one in the post above due to the nature of some of the content on your site...

and the procdump steps are... http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...86&postcount=6 (could probably do with making that into some sort of automated process as it seems to be somewhat more reliable than the in-built option).
Old 30th June 2013, 11:10   #40
OlexijL

Fine Mr. DrO.

Actually your plug-in in the Essentials Pack isn't working as expected.
Thing is:

After the installation on the clean system Winamp 5.64, then the Essentials Pack - the option for automatic playback is enabled per default, but autoplay is not working if playback was stoped and Winamp was closed after this.
That's fine by me (and moreover i expect this as normal behavior)

Now manipulate configuration as follow:

1. Secure your profile on %appdata%/Winamp to some other location.
2. Start Winamp.
3. Disable the option for automatic playback completely and close Winamp.
4. Now launch Winamp again and (re)enable it.

The option for not playing songs automatically after stoping them and restarting Winamp is not working correctly, if you enable it or disable it, the songs will play automatically even if it kills you.

So now you have to delete %appdata%\Winamp folder and recopy from the backup location. Since this was created before any configuration has happened, all good now

You play the songs and close on playing - they will be played.
You do stop and close - they won't play.

Now what do you think now? I dunno what to think.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion