Old 13th December 2005, 13:50   #81
Keyboards

Quote:
Originally posted by SisXtian
I have read this forum extensively. This is the same question I have been searching for an answer to since Winamp 2. Even older CD stereos have a "Smart Shuffle" feature where you can put in a CD, it will play random tracks, playing each track once until it plays them all. I REALLY wish Winamp could do this with a full playlist. I don't know how to program, but it seems possible to make a plugin like this using math. I know that iTunes can keep track of how many times a song is ever played. If Winamp can do this, and store the info in an ID3, then all the plugin would have to do is go through the playlist, and play the least played songs until they are all up to the same number of plays. When all songs have played the same number of times (say 3), the "shuffle" plays a random song. Then proceeds to play all songs in the playlist until they have all been played 3 times. I'm really surprised this hasn't been implemented into Winamp so far by way of a "Smart Shuffle" feature. I suggested it way back when. But perhaps it never got noticed. Maybe someone out there reading this thread knows how to create this type of plugin?
Ditto to this. Winamp need to rename this button "random" NOT "shuffle".

Although thanks to this thread I spotted a simple method of shuffling, just queue up the tracks, randomise the playlist, turn off "shuffle" (random). Hooray!
Keyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 18:31   #82
Keyboards

As a followup, there's definitely something odd about shuffle in Winamp (at least in the last few versions). Now that I've randomised the playlist I'm hearing LOTS of tracks that never seem to have come up before. Could be my perception being skewed, but I'm pretty sure it's not.
Keyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 23:19   #83
TakuSkan

Quote:
Quoting Keyboards: I'm hearing LOTS of tracks that never seem to have come up before.
I've been bugging this thread about this for 1-2 years at this point. I'd hope to see someone write some little plugin that could shuffle playback in a way that no tracks are repeated until all files on a playlist have been played. That, and something that would check the artist and album to make sure that the tracks on the same album aren't played within, say 5-10-15 title plays. It'd be nice if that option could be set manually for small playlists vs large ones.

TS
TakuSkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 21:18   #84
mRty

3 cheers DrO

I get the feeling reading this thread that I'm not the first to try iTunes for just long enough to start liking the shuffle features before hatred of everything else made it clear that one should never try to replace WinAmp.

Adding album/artist restrictions on the randomiser would be awesome

BTW, although the semantics aren't all that exciting, I tend to agree that 'shuffle' makes you think of a deck of cards, and running that analogy 'random' would seem more likely to repeat tracks than 'shuffle'...
mRty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 11:13   #85
supergojira

Re: Shuffle Play Bug

Quote:
Originally posted by Seaweed
Ok i have been using winamp for several years now and today i've finally cracked.

There is a bug with the shuffle play IT IS NOT RANDOM.

I have 2500 mp3's and winamp is constantly choosing the same ones, i know it is easy to say im imaginging this but I'm convinced this is a bug with winamp.

I did played through around 200 or so songs in winamp and about 30 were played twice and a few 3 times now when you have 2500 songs the odds of this happening are considerably high.

I used shuffle play in itunes (worst program ever) to listen to my mp3's and i noticed a refreshing change in the music i was hearing.

I am growing increasinly annoyed with hearing the same songs over and over and after speaking to some makes they experience the same thing.
I have just read the entire thread with all the varying ridiculous methods of making winamp shuffle a playlist without playing the same song twice. I'm one of the few suckers who shelled out for the pro version and not only am i having the same problem as originally posted by seaweed but I am now a paying customer who is reduced to third party plug ins, manually editing system files and randomizing a playlist where i can see every song that is coming up. I accept a lot of time and effort has gone into creating and experimenting with these methods but really, after god knows how many years of production Nullsoft have to pull their fuckin finger out and include a shuffle button that doesnt repeat the same 30 tracks if they expect the public to take seriously and pay for their product when they could use Itunes or god knows how many other media players that offer this feature as standard. I realise I will be regarded as something of a heretic and/or asshole for my comments but more than anything it saddens me that after years of supporting winamp i am now considering a switch because its clearly more important to have useless bullshit like predixis music magic than base features that actually work.
supergojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 22:28   #86
DrO

by purchasing pro you only paid for licensing requirements to remove the rip speed limitation and for extra encoding support for a wider range of formats, otherwise it's the same as the free version.

here's what one of the dev's has to say regarding the shuffle feature (if that helps or not).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 02:37   #87
dmw2787

Send a message via AIM to dmw2787
Ahh I love the forum search!!! I've been having this problem for so long and this really helps. Thanks guys! I really hope it becomes easier to do this later on...
dmw2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 19:39   #88
Genosaturn

Sorry to beat a dead horse here but i'm a little slow and need some help

Like many others I've always had the problem of my winamp playlist (over 3000 tracks) playing repeats much too often, and i've been using Winamp forever. I don't mind if there is a repeat every once in a while, but the same track should play 3 times within a couple of hours on playlist of over 3000 mp3s. So i've looked at the methods posted and i'm a little confused. I want better random selection, not to say i don't want to hear the same tracks repeat here and there. It seems like the methods shown here are all for having the same track never repeat until the entire playlist has been played one by one, i don't want that, just want better random selection. So what's the answer for me?

Like i said, i read all the posts, but i'm a little slow .

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. I'm using the latest Winamp if it matters.
Genosaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 20:00   #89
Bubba Smith
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Genosaturn
It seems like the methods shown here are all for having the same track never repeat until the entire playlist has been played one by one, i don't want that, just want better random selection.
Nope. You are beating a 'dead horse' (as you also said above) if you expect that.

The easiest way to understand all this is to know the difference in Winamp between what shuffling does and what randomizing does...

Shuffle will always repeat certain songs, and miss others, regardless of what the Shuffle Morph Rate is set to in Winamp Preferences.

Randomizing the playlist, instead of using shuffle, is the only way AFAIK to ensure that:
1) every song is played
- and -
2) every song is played one time and one time only

To randomize the playlist, first load all songs into the Playlist Editor, then...

If using the Winamp Classic skin:
Press the 'Misc' button > 'Sort List' button > select 'Randomize list' from the right-click context menu

If using the Winamp Modern skin:
Press the 'Misc' button > from the first right-click context menu, select'Sort' > select 'Randomize list' from the next right-click context menu

That's all there is to it really. Pretty easy, heh?
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 12:19   #90
Genosaturn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba Smith

That's all there is to it really. Pretty easy, heh?
Well...it may be easy, but it's not what i want, and is not a solution to the problem.

I guess we'll all just have to wait for a fix, or maybe a plugin that will do what we want it to. Doesn't seem like anyone who works on Winamp knows about it or just isn't interested in fixing it.
Old 9th July 2006, 12:42   #91
DrO

it was explained by one of the devs why there is duplication of the tracks as they happen (i think the link was even refered to in this thread but i've better things to do than wade through it all to find it) so they know and explained why there's essentially nothing to fix since things are working as coded/expected.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 17:55   #92
Genosaturn

Yeah i guess it's not really a problem that needs to be fixed (not a big one anyways). It really doesn't bother me that much as i can just go to the next track when repeats are played too often.

I'm just kind of interested in how computers do 'random' things, as Random never seems to work right with computers. Whether it be Winamp's shuffle play or Online Poker, computers trying to generate random objects just doesn't work well.
Old 29th July 2006, 14:16   #93
SisXtian

Send a message via ICQ to SisXtian Send a message via AIM to SisXtian
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
it was explained by one of the devs why there is duplication of the tracks as they happen (i think the link was even refered to in this thread but i've better things to do than wade through it all to find it) so they know and explained why there's essentially nothing to fix since things are working as coded/expected.

-daz
That link is about 5 posts up from you, Daz. But I think I speak for all the people complaining about the "shuffle" when I say if there's nothing to fix, why are so many people complaining? Lots of programs are coded a certain way and work perfectly, yet end up not being very user friendly or optimal for the end user. This is one of the resons that major updates are released for programs that implement additional features to make the program more satisfying for end users. Seems obvious, but based on your post I felt like it needed to be stated.

There was a plugin being made a LONG time ago called RoboDJ. It worked pretty well, implementing all of the features that people are requesting, though it was quite buggy. The guy programming it couldn't keep going with it because of other obligations. I really wish someone could have picked it up.
SisXtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 17:00   #94
osmosis
Major Dude

Re: RoboDJ and "party shuffling" (a la iTunes) alternatives:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....08#post1973308

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 11:18   #95
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=351953

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote