Old 19th July 2017, 15:02   #1
brooklynsteve

"There was an error reading my local database message"

Hi
I searched both my c: drive and second drive where I keep my music et al. No sign of a single file on either drive named "main.dat" or "main.idx." The names did show up in hundreds of zip files containing my backup files over months but it most likely would take days to find the file and I have no idea where they reside in the Winamp file sets, or which drive.

Whats interesting is my play list work perfectly, shouldn't the problem be related.

I am willing to bite the bullet and rebuild the databases but thought I would ask here is there are any precautions I should take first. Also, where do "main.dat" or "main.idx." reside so I can back them up directly.

I believe this may of happened when HP did a maintenance run. It is the only thing I have done to Winamp in days.

Thanks
Steve
brooklynsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 15:11   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Playlist files and the media library database files are completely different things.

The Winamp media library database files are stored in a sub-folder under your main user data folder. Specifically (in Windows 7 or greater), "Users\*\Appdata\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml". Replace the "*" with your account profile name. Your computer may be configured to hide your user data folders from view in Windows Explorer.

You can make a backup of the database files in this folder before rebuilding the media library database, but if these files are corrupt they would be useless. Backups of data, and everything else that can not be easily reinstalled or recreated, should be routinely made (from time to time) before problems occur.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 17:24   #3
brooklynsteve

Thank you.

I went into "Users\*\Appdata\Roaming\" there is no Winamp anything? If there are any Winamp hidden folders/files how does one "unhide" them?

Thanks for the help...s
Old 21st July 2017, 14:50   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Your Winamp user data files must be stored somewhere. Otherwise, when you shutdown and restart Winamp, there would be no files listed in the Playlist Editor for playback (unless you removed all the files that were listed there before the shutdown).

What version of Winamp are you using? What is the name of the sub-folder in the "Programs Files (x86)" folder that you installed Winamp in? If it is not named "Winamp", then look for that sub-folder's name in your users appdata roaming sub-folders. Capitalization is not important, but the exact spelling of the folder's name is.

Alternatively, if you installed Winamp for portable operation, then the Winamp user data files are stored in appropriate sub-folders along with the Winamp program files (in the "Programs Files (x86)" sub-folder Winamp was installed in).

The Winamp installer does not hide anything it installs and Winamp does not hide anything it creates while it is running. However it is possible to use Windows Explorer (or any file management app) to hide any file or folder. Is it possible that someone with access to your computer could have done such a thing?

You can force Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders by disabling all of the hide options in the advanced settings on the view tab of it's folder options dialog. Select File, then options (the exact wording depends on the Windows version being used), on the Windows Explorer menu bar to open this dialog. Remember which of these options were enabled so that you can re-enabled them and re-hide the files and folders that were hidden. Windows hides some system files and folders by default to reduce clutter and prevent accidental deletion or other damage caused by the computer's user.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 21st July 2017 at 15:53.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 15:26   #5
brooklynsteve

Thank you

I found everything. It was all stored under Users/Administrator, duh. My bad.

Actually, reinstating the library was pretty easy. I cleaned up all my "rips" in one master folder, even fixed the "Unknown" albums, artist, and song titles. I've been coming across a lot of cd's lately with no metadata (flea markets, ebay) and I'm wondering if the are all pirated.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

On another subject, if I may, I want to distribute Winamp off my tower around the house. I've used some cheap wireless systems coming off the headphone jack. I'm wondering if I can parallel the output of Winamp to a usb port to use other ways to send music around the house. The headphone jack is very unreliable.

If you have any suggestions on how to distribute Winamp (e.g. to my entertainment center) it would be greatly appreciated. It's a short run from my office to the stereo so I'm thinking of hard wire, possibly converting the audio to HDMI as I am running out of RCA inputs on the amp.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 21st July 2017, 17:38   #6
brooklynsteve

I found everything, it was under "Administrator"...thanks...s
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:20   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
there's a ton of ways to send winamp around the house.

describe your current situation and your ideal scenario.

in my place, i got a small nearly silent and cheapo laptop to HDMI out to my TV. i run Kodi on it too. i have it set to WoL and it has a wireless kybd / mouse as well, and i can remote control it with aWAR.

so it does visualizations on the TV. if i want just audio (while some other video is on), i could headphone out direct to the receiver instead of the TV. if i want the same winamp to power other speakers around the house, i could get an airplay plugin, but not sure how well that would keep all the speakers in sync.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 13:19   #8
brooklynsteve

Hello MrSinatra - I always appreciate your input.

Ideal situation:
* Winamp is on my desktop and is my main source
* I would like to output from the desktop via USB, the headphone mini-jack is very unreliable
* The most logical way to distribute seems to be via stereo FM broadcast, ebay has a lot of choices, below is a link to an example
* FM means my wife can have her radio in the kitchen or in her She-Room, me in the garage, I can use the FM Tuner on the big stereo avoiding using up an aux input.
* I do have the option of running a shielded, balanced hard-wire to the stereo which, quality wise should be the best.
* I do have the remote app for Winamp for my phone which, when it works, is pretty good
* For video distribution I'm going with HDMI over cat6s with a "one of many matrix" (8x8) so any source can be in any room at any time.

Do you have any suggestions for a quality device to port Winamp via USB from my desktop?

I also am interested in other ways to go,

Thanks
Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signstek-0-5...94662164&rt=nc
Old 25th July 2017, 18:10   #9
brooklynsteve

It happened again! I just loaded in Winamp and again the library was gone!

It's no big deal to reload it, so the question is why does it keep happening?

I have pro-version v5.65 (x86) July 23, 2013
Thanks...s
Old 11th September 2017, 08:43   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'll try to remember to reply to this more fully, but u want the latest 5.666 pro b/c i vaguely recall fixes to stop the ML from disappearing.

--
Old 11th September 2017, 15:37   #11
brooklynsteve

Where can I get the latest WinAmp Pro update.

Where can I get the latest WinAmp Pro update. Is WinAmp still in business?

Can I load Pro onto a new machine?
Thanks...s
Old 12th September 2017, 23:02   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

according to Egg, the pro and full installers are one and the same, read the first post:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755

but i have never had the pro ver, and not sure if all the chaos with radionomy has affected it or whatnot. caution is advised until someone who knows the deal tells you.

see my other recent posts for other remote control options.

as to your other issue, we discussed this before:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=370233

i'm still not really clear on your current setup and what u want to do?

i would not use FM at all, or a headphone jack.

i would use HDMI or a plugin that does apple Airplay. not sure if that fits your needs? it depends mostly on the flexibility of the end points.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
lost databases