Old 8th September 2014, 23:43   #1
djmcg100

Strange problem - Audio not heard

Hi everyone,

So I was just about to write a whole essay on how I could find my station on shoutcast.com, but not on a game called Garry's Mod. In this server I have an apartment with a radio that connects to ShoutCast and I couldn't find my station, but I switched encoder from AAC to MP3 and that fixed it

Anyhoo

Now my problem is that no noise is transmitted, neither on shoutcast.com or in game, however I can hear sound on winamp and the DSP shows sound levels changing to the music as I hear it. I am using Traktor 2, Icecast 2.4 and the latest versions of the DSP and DNAS. Here is a admittedly busy screenshot to prove that all is connected and "working properly (bar transmitting sound)".

Click image for larger version

Name:	trouble screen.png
Views:	186
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	51385

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

djmcg100

Last edited by djmcg100; 8th September 2014 at 23:44. Reason: Forgot to change title from previous solved problem
djmcg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 23:52   #2
DrO

as the DNAS doesn't appear to be running now, it's hard to give any sort of advice (was running when i first started to look and then went away).

i don't follow the Icecast aspect as it was a SHOUTcast DNAS that i saw listed and not an Icecast one. unless you're relaying the Icecast stream via the DNAS ? (which i doubt).

also the shoutcast.com site player only works for MP3 streams - so that might explain your first comment (though you should see a little message when trying to click play for such streams).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 23:58   #3
djmcg100

sorry will re-up the DNAS as of this reply going back up, yes I am on ShoutCast DNAS, the Icecast is purely to give a source to the DSP. When I had it at AAC, my friend could download the file and play via VLC and WMP, but since switching to MP3 encoding (to list on the "in-game" directory) no sound can be heard.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:03   #4
DrO

my first guess would be that you've got the Source DSP set to run in soundcard mode rather than pulling it in from Winamp's input - as the vague amount of audio that does come through (as it's massively buffering for me) reminds me of issues i remember seeing when having the Source DSP unwantedly in the soundcard input mode.

also make sure you've got a current version of lame_enc.dll present in the Winamp\Plugins folder and to reselect the MP3 settings within the Source DSP's options.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:20   #5
djmcg100

So I downloaded the lame_enc 3.99 (32-bit as Winamp seems to be in 32 bit mode on my pc) and input was already set to winamp. Any better, not for me at least?
Old 9th September 2014, 00:27   #6
DrO

it's playing now for me in Winamp and via the site player (when using Firefox and IE11) but it sounds like it's just playing the same part of a loop over and over again.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:28   #7
djmcg100

yes i've just set it to loop a certain part until I know it works. THIS IS GOOD NEWS. I shall try "in-game" and get back to you on this.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:52   #8
djmcg100

just to confirm you can still hear? I have gone in-game and on the website and still cannot hear. However I could hear on website when it was AAC. In game the "radio" switches off as there is no stream being played through it. Seeing as you managed to connect there should be no firewall/port problems, I may be wrong though.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:55   #9
DrO

yes it's still playing ok for me. maybe you need to enable the temporary config workaround from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373139#known and point #3 to see if that helps or not.
Old 9th September 2014, 01:03   #10
djmcg100

just into the sc_serv.conf? tried that to no avail.
Old 9th September 2014, 01:05   #11
DrO

just that file and a restart of the DNAS. if that still doesn't help then at the moment i don't know as i can only go on it working ok with the players i can try. maybe it's a connectivity issue between you and the service (especially if you're having issues).
Old 9th September 2014, 01:17   #12
djmcg100

Good news, other people in game can hear the music!! I cannot hear it in game but I suppose as I'm DJing on this computer I can hear the sound anyway, I just have Traktor muted atm. Thanks ever so much for the solution and fast replies DrO. Have an amazing day!!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support