Old 30th January 2021, 05:59   #1
marckean

SHOUTcast buffer

I have the following SHOUTcast sc_serv.conf file and I'm trying to increase the buffer. Changing the value for adaptivebuffersize to something like 5 seconds works, then I can also change adaptivebuffersize to about 8 seconds, and this works, however when I increase adaptivebuffersize all the way up to 30 seconds, it never makes it's like there's a hard limit in the background which prevents the buffer from going to 30 seconds.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get my buffer to 30 seconds or very close to it?

adminpassword=AdminPass
password=StreamPass
publicserver=never
requirestreamconfigs=1
logfile=logs\sc_serv.log
w3clog=logs\sc_w3c.log
banfile=control\sc_serv.ban
ripfile=control\sc_serv.rip
portbase=8000
maxuser=1000

;Test
streamid_1=1598

;Settlers Tavern
streamid_2=1599

;Stream Paths
streampath_1598=/twh
streampath_1599=/ljh

;Specify whether the buffer size is fixed [0] or adaptive [1] [Default = 0]
buffertype = 1

;Specify the buffer size in seconds if the buffer is set to adaptive [Default = 1]
adaptivebuffersize = 30
;fixedbuffersize=16777216

;Specify the maximum buffer size in bytes which it can never go above [Default = 16777216]
bufferhardlimit = 33554432
marckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 16:44   #2
HG2S

From the DNAS v.2.5.5 manual there are four things that can be specified:

buffertype : Specify whether the buffer size is fixed [0] or adaptive [1] [Default = 1]

adaptivebuffersize : Specify the buffer size in seconds if buffer is set to adaptive [Default = 5]

fixedbuffersize : Specify the buffer size in bytes if the buffer is set to fixed [Default = 1048576]

bufferhardlimit : Specify the maximum buffer size in bytes which it can never go above [Default = 16777216]

It does not show how (or if it is possible) to apply a buffer to a particular stream (you mention two different streams). Does that mean the buffer is the same for all streams or for the server in toto? What if the streams are different rates?

There is a 'bufferhardlimit' that you would come up against if you want a long buffer like 30 seconds. This is in bytes and would be a function of the bit rate (kbps). What is the bit rate?
HG2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 21:22   #3
marckean

Good questions, let me explain:

I have multiple streams showing here yes, but the SHOUTcast network buffer settings are the same for each stream, if you have one stream or multiple streams.

Using these exact same network buffer settings, I timed the buffer yesterday with the above settings and the most I can get out of it is 15/16 seconds. My bitrate for the music is 128Kbps, and if I changed this to something like 48Kbps, then the buffer does increase in size significantly, likewise if I change the bitrate to something like 320Kbps, I loose the buffer altogether.

It can’t be the bufferhardlimit because if you do the conversation, this is 32 Megabytes, and song is MP3 and you’d be able to get roughly an hours worth of music at 128Kbps MP3 with 32 Megabytes.
Old 31st January 2021, 06:02   #4
HG2S

"I have multiple streams showing here yes, but the SHOUTcast network buffer settings are the same for each stream, if you have one stream or multiple streams."

How do you know this? Did you test it and find it to be true empirically or is it in documentation some place?
Old 31st January 2021, 10:50   #5
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

higher bitrate , less time it takes a player to fill it's own buffer and start streaming
but the higher the possibility that the recieving end might have interruptions in the stream.

Lower bitrate and the player needs more time to fill it's own buffer and start steaming , the lower the possibility that you might have hick ups on the recieving end.

roughly 128 kbps gives you a delay of 15 to 20 seconds on the recieving end.

i didn't take in account the internet connection on the recieving end....if that is crap than it buffers a whole more.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2021, 06:06   #6
marckean

Hi HG2S, Sorry it took a small amount of time to get back to you, out of about 20 streams I have listed in my sc_serv.conf file, I just disabled 15 of them so with 5 remaining/functioning, then restarted the SHOUTcast service systemctl restart shoutcast. I then tested again and the buffer remained the same as it was before with having more streams active, it's still sitting at 15/16 seconds.

So the buffer sits at 15/16 seconds no matter how many streams are active, and based on 128Kbps.... But each stream is exclusive in their own right, so if I change another stream to 48Kbps MP3 (it would sound horrible) however I get a bigger buffer for this one. Then the more I increase the bandwidth, as I nudge higher to 320Kbps, I start to loose the buffer gradually the higher I go.

NJK, as for the buffer size and hoe long it takes the receiving end to fill the buffer, I don't know how, but the buffer is bursting to the clients no matter how big it is, the buffer is pulled from the server almost instantly. It's using buffer burst.
Old 1st February 2021, 16:48   #7
HG2S

Hmm.... Sounds like a development issue. I wonder if @DrO can shed some light on this?
Old 1st February 2021, 17:15   #8
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG2S View Post
Hmm.... Sounds like a development issue. I wonder if @DrO can shed some light on this?

no he can't since he no longer works for winamp or shoutcast and has his own project.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 19:36   #9
marckean

Thank you for all your help (NJK & HG2S), as much as we’ve tried exploring the issue, what else can I do here to try and get a resolution to my issue here of the SHOUTcast buffer?

What are my options?
Old 8th February 2021, 04:48   #10
HG2S

Have you tried the standard support@shoutcast.com email?

Can you contact DrO and ask for a name of someone on the forum who can field the question?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
adaptivebuffersize, buffer, sc_serv.conf