Old 9th December 2020, 16:35   #1
outpostradio

shoutcast server memory usage

What limits the size of SC_SERV memory? Previously, I have seen it crash (killed by kernel) because of OOM (out of memory). My sc_serv is presently up to 4.5 GB. It has often crashed after a few days above 4G. These crashes are "segfault", not OOM. (OOM is unlikely as the server now as 16 GB mem).
outpostradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2020, 22:46   #2
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

40 MegaBytes is about as large as i see my dnas get... that's with 8 configured streams.

most of dnas memory should be dedicated to the stream buffers, which should be per source, not per listener. you could maybe get some control by using a fixed buffer size:

buffertype=0
fixedbuffersize=1048576
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2020, 23:07   #3
outpostradio

Number of listeners

I have 900 listeners at peak times now because of Christmas listening. It may hit 1200 or more in the next few days. As of now, it is show about 2.4 GB. There are occasionally large spikes in the listener count which grow over a few hours and then drop back to normal. I don't know what causes that, but most of the connects come from the same IP address. Some kind of a DOS maybe, or just some software that leaves connections open.
Old 22nd December 2020, 00:33   #4
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

does the menory use ever go down as listeners decrease ? or does it continue to increase with time ?

the server may create a buffer per listener connection until maxlisteners, it may do it at startup, or on demand as connections increase ?

the number of listeners may not be a factor.

on linux, i'd be looking (ps) for phantom, orphaned processes holding memory, dnas or others.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:44   #5
outpostradio

Size never goes down.

I have never seen the size go down, even after several days and during times when listener count is less than half of daytime peak.

I also have never seen any zombie sc_serv processes. Once started, it retains the same pid until shutdown or crash.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support