Old 24th August 2009, 21:15   #1
polaris911

How do I manage music on a memory stick with Winamp?

I have been wondering if this is possible for quite some time now. Let me explain briefly...

I have an old Sony Ericsson cell phone that takes a memory stick. I use my phone as my portable mp3 player, and when I want to put new music on there, I take the card out, stick it in my computer.

To put music on my memory card, I have to find the songs on my Winamp playlist, right click each song, click view file info, then copy and paste the directory address into explorer, find the mp3 file, then drag it into the //MP3 directory on my memory stick. It's a huge pain in the butt and it's a lot of work.

Is there a way I can use winamp to manage my memory sticks MP3 folder when I stick my card in the computer? Maybe I could right click a song on my playlist, and hit "send to memory stick" somehow. It'd be easier than all this jumping around with explorer. Thanksss
polaris911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 01:45   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp can do it with the bundled pmp_usb plugin

Make sure you've installed 'Portable Media player support' and 'USB device support'

If you plug your card in the card reader, while Winamp is running, it will detect the card and ask you, if you want to manage the drive with Winamp. Choose Yes.

From now on, you will see your drive in the library under 'Portables'

Before you can start, you should configure it for your mobile phone.

Open Winamp Preferences --> Media Libary --> Portables.

Make sure, that you have entered the right path in advanced tab. (You can change naming format etc too)

My W800i saves the music in a subfolder called 'music', so I have set this as path:

Older/Other Sony mobiles may save music in another subfolder. For example the K750i saves music in a subfolder called 'MP3'.

So make sure, that you have entered the right path.

From now on you can select files in your Playlist/Library, right click on them and choose "Send to" --> 'USB Drive...'

Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 16:01   #3
polaris911

Thank you! I was able to figure that part out after I un-blacklisted the memory stick with Nullsoft USB Device Plug-in v0.7. It's annoying that I have to unblacklist the drive every single time I connect it, but whatever.

My problem now is with using the Winamp Library, which seems very clunky thus far. I have no problem right clicking my playlist files and moving them to my memory sticks /MP3 directory. My problem is with viewing all the files in that one /MP3 directory. The library view shows me ALL .midi and mp3 files (including ringtones) on the phone in one huge list, which is not helpful. And it seems to want to organize by artist and album, which is also not helpful considering it's a 128 MB memory stick. I can only fit 20 songs on it typically, I don't need to see artist and album filters... There seems to be no DIRECTORY filter.

What'd Id like to be able to do is simple. I just want to see the files in the /MP3 folder of my memory stick using Winamp's Library (instead of using Windows Explorer like I usually do). I want my library to appear more like a folder browser. Is this possible? Thanksss!

---------------

Take a look at the attached picture below to get an idea of what I'm saying. In my memory sticks I:/MP3 folder, there are only 2 files. Autotune.mp3 and a song called Still Alive. Instead I'm shown ALL the files in ALL the folders, which is unneccessary. Look at this mess!

polaris911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 21:41   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

#1: Blacklist

Hmm, usually you shouldn't do that, Winamp created 2 files on the stick, where it saves the settings and blacklist state.

Un-Blacklist the drive again (Preferences --> Plugins --> Media Library --> USB devive plug-in.

After you did this, manually connect it in this dialog by selecting the correct drive letter and using the "Connect Drive" button

Go to Preferences --> Media Library Portables --> USB Drive --> Advanced.

Press "Save and Rescan" and "Refresh Cache".

If it still automatically blacklists the drive, try deleting the configuration files manually.

Open the stick in Windows Explorer and delete the files pmp_usb.ini and winamp_cache_0001.xml (the last file is an hidden file, so make sure that windows shows hidden files)

Sadly, ml_pmp lacks flexibility, you cannot create powerful smart views like under local media. Also a query in the search field doesn't seem to work. So there is no way, which I'm aware about, how to show e.g. mp3 files only, it's a bit annoying.

The only few options to configure the view, you can find here:

But you cannot set it to a single list, though.

This is bugging me too. Portable drives should provide the same powerful smart views, like local views. Or at least the ability to filter file types.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 12:08   #5
gulbis37

I saved my playlist like m3u file on my SD card on laptop but when I try to open playlist from card it's not working...files just jumping continuosly and randomly and no playback at all.
gulbis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 15:40   #6
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulbis37 View Post
I saved my playlist like m3u file on my SD card on laptop but when I try to open playlist from card it's not working...files just jumping continuosly and randomly and no playback at all.

the music itself also needs to be on de SD card.
The m3u file is basicly a re-direct to the mp3 files.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

Nope, it's not a radiostation just a non stop darkwave music stream

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 22:37   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
In addition, the playlist might have absolute or relative paths, and so all of that relates to where the music is and how it's to be found.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support