Old 27th September 2012, 00:49   #41
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Love Animal House. I have friends who drink too much and some that smoke up too much. When they're not doing it, they're fine, but when they are, I find them to be annoying. Some don't get that way because they use small amounts, but still, I have that paranoia of being in the room when someone gets caught.

Most of the people in the jail near me are there for alcohol and drug related stuff. There's a very large amount of abuse of Oxycontin a.k.a. "hillbilly heroin" and other similar pills, really potent moonshine, and marijuana here in my area. Other stuff exists (some meth is noteworthy), but in smaller amounts. Most of the jail-deserving crime here that isn't related to intoxication is related to sales/trafficking/violence that has the drugs and alcohol to blame at least indirectly. There are a lot of murders, overdoses, and assault/battery related to that, a lot more per capita than you'd even see in a big city, but with "lower class stuff" instead of the high-dollar drugs and booze.

A challenge I face is the culture here that suggests: If you drink a drop of alcohol, you must drink until sick and you're an alcoholic with no hope or worth. Most people believe that there's no such thing as someone with an "off switch". One drop forces you to drink to excess, get wasted, and turn into a total drunk. So, no one trusts anyone; no one even themselves to drink at all, with the exception of those who abuse it. My way of drinking is very unique around here according to those I talk to. It's damn near impossible to convince people that you can have a beer or two and then be done for the night, even though it was quite normal everywhere else I've lived to drink in moderation.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 00:58   #42
webthing
Forum King

For future reference.

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 17:18   #43
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

According to that chart, I should've scored forever ago, but the seduction game isn't that simple.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 04:08   #44
rockouthippie
Banned

60% of US adults abuse alcohol on a regular basis and 40% of us don't drink or very rarely drink. Half of the alcohol sold in the US is sold for immediate abuse. I don't think that means that half of drinkers are responsible. I think it means that drinkers are responsible half the time. That doesn't leave any room for you Ted.

Not only do the statistics not support that there is any significant number of 100% responsible drinkers, I never met one.

I think you drink or you don't. And I think your mostly non-drinker going on a bender isn't gonna drink responsibly either.

Drink responsibly... what a lol... And if you are a drinker, you've drove drunk, made an ass out of yourself, prayed to the porcelain gods and pissed your old lady off. It's universal.

Then you see vodka ads that tell you it will rain pussy if you drink a certain vodka. Usually that just gives you wolf action ; Gnaw your arm off so you can get away without waking her up....

We oughta just lose the romantic bullshit we made up around booze. It's a really bad third wheel in a relationship. It can make people just a little nastier than they would be. It's really just kind of a bad deal.

It's either something you could live without or a problem.

Quote:
even though it was quite normal everywhere else I've lived to drink in moderation
I never met that guy.... ever... people that drink more than very occasionally abuse alcohol... this gets worse as you hit about 40... by 50, you've got a drinking problem or you're almost dry or both.....

And I don't think you can draw any particular conclusions about people who drink responsibly in public where the social group will insist on it. It doesn't mean they don't have skeletons just like anyone else.

1 in 10 of us is an alcoholic... clinically... more than double that have a drinking problem... and hiding in the propriety of a social group that has a couple drinks and calls it quits... the same number..

One hint from an old guy. Stay off the hard liquor. It's a killer.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th September 2012 at 06:53.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 14:01   #45
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have to say, I've pretty much gotten tired of hard liquor, except when someone else wants me to try a mixed drink of the rare martini at a good restaurant. I'm just not interested in it any more; not that it really caused any problems. I still maintain the home bar on a smaller scale though, so that when I offer something to drink, I can be quite accommodating, although that only happens when someone comes in from out-of-town. Even then, I just have a beer.

Honestly, I can't remember a time in the last 5-10 years when someone in my family has been drunk or even buzzed to the point of noticeable change. It's an old tradition thing for our family - you have one before dinner during a special event, and sometimes a glass of wine with, nothing after.

We can't really do benders; for one a bender would kill any of us since we don't have significant tolerances, and also, we have a fear of embarrassment that comes with drinking to the point of being noticed. That seems to stop us, since we're around people all the time. I know that some people ignore this, but we don't.

Old 29th September 2012, 22:21   #46
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
It's funny you say that, Ted. I've been having liquor much more frequently than wine/beer lately.

This has turned out to be far more expensive than my old habit of beer.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 00:05   #47
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Edit to above post - "of" should be "or" just prior to "the rare martini".

Yeah. Wine is good, and Liquor is ok, but for some reason, I really like craft beers. I just posted a new huge batch on the "beer galore" thread in the bin for the first time since January. My tolerance has dropped to the point where if I had more than one liquor drink in a night, I'd probably have a small headache in the morning.

The other thing that keeps me from abusing alcohol - Renee and my daughter. Neither drink at all - Renee because she just doesn't like the taste, and my daughter, well, she's not even 4 months old yet. Neither seem to mind when I have one or two, and it's nice that neither is pushing me to "have another" the way my old friends used to be. It's my out-of-house family members that do drink, and they're pretty light on it.

Old 7th October 2012, 13:11   #48
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

*re-rail*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
Roll up a fattie and everything will be okay.

Anyway, I felt really bad for being a dick so I apologized to her against your advice & 'sall good, man. I ended up asking a more secure girl out and couldn't be happier! This will be my first date since high school. I'm getting butterflies.
I don't think you were too harsh on her in the first place at all. Seems to me that you'd win her over if you acted a bit more forcefully. By that I mean be confident, self-assured; instead of asking for what you want, try telling her how it's going to be.

Some women need to be told (WANT to be told), and your friend there seems like one of those women. Go get her, tiger.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 16:17   #49
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

That's right, Jaz told Shy how it was going to be, and now they are married.

That is, of course, after he recovered.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 16:43   #50
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yeah, but if it's anything like my family, everything changes when the kid shows up anyway. Mine is only 4 months old and she has already taken us over. She's the one determining when we eat or sleep.

Old 7th October 2012, 23:42   #51
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
I don't think you were too harsh on her in the first place at all. Seems to me that you'd win her over if you acted a bit more forcefully. By that I mean be confident, self-assured; instead of asking for what you want, try telling her how it's going to be.

Some women need to be told (WANT to be told), and your friend there seems like one of those women. Go get her, tiger.
Funny you should say that, because she's still chasing me. Problem is I'm just not interested (mostly due to her weight & insecurities; she is kinda cute though). Meanwhile the girl I actually want to be with got bored of me before the first date. That's how it goes, huh.

You know what, fuck it. Might as well ask her out. I got nothing else to look forward to.

Old 8th October 2012, 00:03   #52
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

As long as you both agree on what you're doing (a.k.a. you're being honest with each other about your intentions), I say go for it.

Old 8th October 2012, 01:54   #53
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
You know what, fuck it. Might as well ask her out. I got nothing else to look forward to.
That's the spirit. How long's it been since you last "looked forwarded to" a girl -- or have you ever? You're not getting any younger.

I strongly suggest that you "look forward to" as many girls as possible. Don't end up regretting things -- or girls -- you wish you'd done.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 06:42   #54
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Reminds me of what this guy said near the end of this video:

Quote:
I have one theory in life: I never want to say the words "I should have", if I do it and I failed, I tried; if I do it and I succeed, better for me. Never go through life saying you should have; if you wanna do something, you do it
I've spent the first 24 years of my life wishing I had done things instead of just doing them. And guess what, I'm miserable. Couldn't ever hold a job, could count the amount of friends I had on one hand (with many fingers missing); hell, I didn't lose my virginity or even have a sip of alcohol until I was 20. Eventually something had to give. I just wish it didn't take me until my mid 20s to realize I should stop being a prude and just enjoy my life.

At least I came to this realization at 24 rather than 44, but at the same time I feel like I've missed out on a lot of opportunities by wasting my youth away on the internet as opposed to simply appreciating reality.

Old 8th October 2012, 09:35   #55
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Sear Mr Webthing:
I really loved your advice,(excellent chart) you did, however, leave out the Van and Chloroform.
Sign Me,
Avid Fan
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 19:22   #56
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

At 24, you're at an age where picking up ladies isn't extremely difficult. It's all about finding the right time and place where a pickup is possible. Social events and networking situations help a lot. I tend to discourage people from meeting in bars, but a lot of people swear by it. Being around colleges/graduate schools helps a lot. If you have to, relocate to make this possible, especially if you don't have a big job holding you where you are. If you're already near a college, find ways to network with people. When you meet people, ask them to introduce you to more, and when you meet them, do the same until you find someone that sparks your interest. You may need a place to throw parties and get-togethers if no one else seems willing to do it. Your own place, coffee shops, restaurants, gyms, etc. Find hobbies that can involve other people, even if it's just joining a bocce league or something like that. Then find a gal and, well... get a camcorder and post back.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions