Old 6th August 2008, 04:33   #1
Vil

Atlanta

Any of you live(d) in/near Atlanta, GA?

I am going to GATech this fall for moar learningz, and I was wondering what there is to do there when I get ready to burn my books and run around naked through the school from studying too much?

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 04:59   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
The Underground

But if you're shit-faced and there in the evening (which I'm sure you will be), make sure you are with a couple of friends. That way, you have less chance of getting rolled/mugged as you keep an eye out for one another.

Oh... and remember to keep an empty wallet in your back pocket and all your cash neatly stuffed down your crotch. Harder for the roaming hands of the lovely "ladies of the evening" to pick your pocket that way. All they'll come up with is an empty wallet with no great loss to you.

Have fun!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 06:07   #3
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

If you go someplace where you expect to be pickpocketed, then in the place of an empty wallet I'd recommend a couple of open box cutters pointed upwards. As they would always be parallel with the pocket, you won't cut yourself in the course of sitting and walking, and yet two of them side-by-side would approximately resemble the size and shape of a wallet. Nothing wrong with a bit of negative reinforcement, eh?

(Just remember they're there before you jam your own hand into your back pocket.)

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 10:53   #4
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Re: Atlanta

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
Any of you live(d) in/near Atlanta, GA?

I am going to GATech this fall for moar learningz, and I was wondering what there is to do there when I get ready to burn my books and run around naked through the school from studying too much?
I wanna go Here
I don't know how far away from Atlanta that is, but I'll meetcha' in the fall if you, or anyone else, wants go there. Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil is one of my favorite fun flicks.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 12:29   #5
sgtfuzzbubble011

Don't forget to check out Stone Mountain.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:29   #6
LeadFoot

Georgia Aquarium
Six Flags

And what Sarge sez.
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:48   #7
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
The Underground

But if you're shit-faced and there in the evening (which I'm sure you will be), make sure you are with a couple of friends. That way, you have less chance of getting rolled/mugged as you keep an eye out for one another.

Oh... and remember to keep an empty wallet in your back pocket and all your cash neatly stuffed down your crotch. Harder for the roaming hands of the lovely "ladies of the evening" to pick your pocket that way. All they'll come up with is an empty wallet with no great loss to you.

Have fun!
I haven't been planning on carrying more than $20 in cash, but I did plan on carrying my debit card around. I imagine keeping just keeping my wallet in the inside pocket in my jacket and keeping my jacket buttoned would be fairly safe.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
If you go someplace where you expect to be pickpocketed, then in the place of an empty wallet I'd recommend a couple of open box cutters pointed upwards. As they would always be parallel with the pocket, you won't cut yourself in the course of sitting and walking, and yet two of them side-by-side would approximately resemble the size and shape of a wallet. Nothing wrong with a bit of negative reinforcement, eh?

(Just remember they're there before you jam your own hand into your back pocket.)
I could rig up a fake wallet that acts like a taser when removed from my pocket. It wouldn't be too difficult to construct, I imagine. >.>

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
I wanna go Here
I don't know how far away from Atlanta that is, but I'll meetcha' in the fall if you, or anyone else, wants go there. Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil is one of my favorite fun flicks.
Google maps says its ~ 4 and 1/2 hours from GATech, but it seems like a good place to go for a weekend or something.

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Don't forget to check out Stone Mountain.
I went there once as a kid, but all I can remember about it is that there was this mountain there... lol I'll definitely go back.

Quote:
Originally posted by LeadFoot
Georgia Aquarium
Six Flags

And what Sarge sez.
Aquarium deliciousness
I'm not sure about Six Flags... I'll just have to find other people to go with me, since its not really that fun to go by yourself imo.

present day present time
Old 6th August 2008, 16:51   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

What Sarge says, what Leadfoot says, and like Widdy, I highly recommend Savannah as well. It's a really beautiful old-south city. I was born and raised in GA, and have lived here on and off for about 30 years of my life, and yet I've only been to Savannah a couple of times. I have no excuse...

Old 7th August 2008, 14:17   #9
sgtfuzzbubble011

I had a jobsite in Savannah once. We ate at a pizza place called Vinnie Van Go-Go's for dinner. It was outstanding.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...7&z=12&iwloc=A

Also, I have a friend that used to work at the Botanical Gardens in Atlanta. She said it was a nice place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.162563&z=13

Here's Stone Mountain.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=13&iwloc=addr

If you feel up to it, just do a Google Map search for things like "mall," "museum," "park," etc. in and around Atlanta, and you'll find lots of things to do. If you manage to get some time to ride up to Chattanooga, let me know. I can point out some things there as well.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:36   #10
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

It amuses me that the first two responses are all about personal safety.

Atlanta must be a great place to raise a family. :blue-laughing-smilie-code:

Seriously, think about that - your first response was "don't get mugged". That's pretty messed up.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 19:03   #11
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by iomegajaz
Seriously, think about that - your first response was "don't get mugged". That's pretty messed up.
What do you expect? Its not Mayberry.

Quote:
I had a jobsite in Savannah once. We ate at a pizza place called Vinnie Van Go-Go's for dinner. It was outstanding.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...7&z=12&iwloc=A

Also, I have a friend that used to work at the Botanical Gardens in Atlanta. She said it was a nice place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.162563&z=13

Here's Stone Mountain.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=13&iwloc=addr

If you feel up to it, just do a Google Map search for things like "mall," "museum," "park," etc. in and around Atlanta, and you'll find lots of things to do. If you manage to get some time to ride up to Chattanooga, let me know. I can point out some things there as well.
Actually, I drove through Chattanooga twice this week. =P My sister lives in Knoxville, so I drive through Chattanooga on the way to visit her.

Botanical gardens are always pleasant, and its not terribly far away from the campus, which is nice. =)

present day present time
Old 8th August 2008, 00:03   #12
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I don't know what Mayberry is, so that's no help.

Old 8th August 2008, 00:46   #13
Vil

I would normally make some heartless comment about learning to use the internet, but I just can't believe someone in this world doesn't know what Mayberry is. There's just no excuse, really.

present day present time
Old 8th August 2008, 04:31   #14
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

You're just a regular old poster boy for American ignorance, aren't you?

Congratulations on perpetuating a horrible stereotype.

Old 8th August 2008, 05:28   #15
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by iomegajaz
You're just a regular old poster boy for American ignorance, aren't you?

Congratulations on perpetuating a horrible stereotype.
I couldn't help but laugh at that.

Concisely, Mayberry is a fictional town from an American television show, The Andy Griffith Show, that ran for 8 seasons in the 1960's and reruns of which still run as well as a less popular show which ran for 3 seasons.

People often use Mayberry to mean the idyllic, simple, small, rural town. The show is one of the staples of American culture, as is the town.

Americans should know about their own fucking culture, not that I knew you were American before now. Oh, by the way, I'm an American too, but I don't hide behind some bullshit excuse about stereotypes when I don't know something - I look it up.

present day present time
Old 8th August 2008, 18:46   #16
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

FYI...Jaz is an Aussie.

Old 8th August 2008, 19:26   #17
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
FYI...Jaz is an Aussie.
Ah. Well, in that case, I guess I should revise my prior post, if I cared.

present day present time
Old 8th August 2008, 21:15   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Actually, I drove through Chattanooga twice this week. =P My sister lives in Knoxville, so I drive through Chattanooga on the way to visit her.
My sister lives in Chattanooga. When I lived in Atlanta, I used to visit her every other weekend when I wasn't working. It's a town that's trying to be a city, and it's got a lot of nice little out-of-the-way spots. I loved driving up Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain, especially during the winter when there was a bit of snow all around. Very nice scenery. Downtown has some nice places to eat, too. Also, if you happen to venture south of Atlanta, I believe there's an air museum in Warner Robins.
Old 8th August 2008, 21:30   #19
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Also, if you happen to venture south of Atlanta, I believe there's an air museum in Warner Robins.
There is - and a nice one, too. I've been there several times.

(Their home page doesn't do proper image scaling, but don't judge 'em based on that. Their museum is much better than their website.)

Old 10th August 2008, 00:47   #20
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
Ah. Well, in that case, I guess I should revise my prior post, if I cared.
I believe the term you're looking for is "FAIL".

Old 14th August 2008, 09:00   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I don't know if it's just coincidence, but I often fly Delta airlines, and they very often connect in Atlanta (it's a Delta hub). For some reason I seem to always get cancellations and delays at that airport, and when I look at the TV screens there, I seem to notice more delays/cancellations for all the airlines that go into and out of Atlanta when compared to other major airports. I now dread having to connect there when there's no other affordable way.

There are probably good things in Atlanta, but the airport is the only place I have even been when it comes to that city, so I guess my opinion has been ruined by a bunch of bad visits to that place.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 12:57   #22
sgtfuzzbubble011

That's because Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in the world, now. It took the title from Chicago's O'Hare airport a year or two ago. It's massive. o_o
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions