Old 29th October 2003, 10:06   #1
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Winamp3 Build #499c Released

For all you Winamp3 junkies who are left: a present. Winamp3 build #499c. Please discuss it here. Yes, we know about the bug with the about box.

[edit]I have been asked to reiterate that this build is not supported in any way. Please do not distribute it.[/edit]

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 29th October 2003, 10:55   #2
sanosuke
Major Dude

any changes from the last #499?

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 29th October 2003, 11:02   #3
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Try it and see (translation: I'm too busy to try it). It likes to crash a lot for me though.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 29th October 2003, 14:59   #4
Neksus

Yes I am junkie!!!

Works fine!!! (If you like crashes)

I am now the user of Wasabi Player!!!

hint: Name change Winamp3 -> Wasabi Player

Other things:
Weird fonts
Everything looks kinda weird!

Includes gen_ff changes from Winamp 5

TTF (TrueType)
Old 29th October 2003, 15:34   #5
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
fonts where changed, name was changed, skin was changed, plus a HELL of alot of source code changes.

for those that actually work with wasabi, you will notice that the base studio folder is now GONE. AND, the SDK compiles alot easier than the few other previous test SDKs.

more thoughts from me will come soon when i get time to rant.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 29th October 2003, 16:17   #6
xenosomething
Major Dude

winamp3 is evil!

everything is so dark and dead.

.........?.
Old 29th October 2003, 16:56   #7
DrO

not bad at all and it works ok on the ol' work machine

the font changes are a bit naff but the menus seem nicer for it so it's evens on that i guess.

to play some more on my machine (muwhhaaa...)

-daz
Old 29th October 2003, 19:15   #8
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Why don't we get to have #500? it's stable enough to hack into Winamp 5, but not alone??

#499c seems great. things i noticed:
-text in monitor aspect setting (playlists->display) is cut off (minor annoyance, but looks unprofessional, should be fixed b4 final).
-extension list text disappears?? (fixes on restart)
-I like the new font. it's clean and legible.

~WHEREamI

Last edited by WHEREamI; 29th October 2003 at 19:38.
Old 29th October 2003, 19:19   #9
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Eh? We're saving the build 500 number for a Windows/Linux release, that's all .

Old 29th October 2003, 19:32   #10
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Eh? We're saving the build 500 number for a Windows/Linux release, that's all .
actually, bas was talking about possibly resetting the build number, as its no longer "Winamp3".. now that it is "Wasabi Player", it should be completely seperated from the winamp name, and therefor, wont get the comparison to winamp v2.x bashing that it always got.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 29th October 2003, 19:42   #11
WHEREamI
Major Dude

well, i thought the build number more came from the Wasabi build number than the player itself. they kinda go hand-in-hand though, i guess.

hehe... we should make sure it's "Wasabi Player" and not "Wasabi Media Player"

@Russ: oic. makes sense i guess? gen_ff is based on #500 though, right?
Old 29th October 2003, 19:48   #12
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Gen_ff was forked off the Wasabi tree a few months back. It's based on #499.

Old 29th October 2003, 19:49   #13
Neksus

Anyone got Yonido's J-Key working?

Any idea on how to get it working would be nice!

I got the Jump Windows but it's blank!!
Old 29th October 2003, 19:56   #14
WHEREamI
Major Dude

lol! we get to have the incremental linker file for avs!! but no wac
Old 29th October 2003, 20:28   #15
Darkain
Major Dude

ok, something to note with wasabi player....
ive been messing around with this things day and night since it was built...

i have NOT be able to get older components to work with it... they will have to be re-compiled.

bas had issues compiling AVS with this SDK, that is why it is not included. you can force-install AVS, and itll crash when you open the window.

there are TONS of improvements all over the SDK compared to the original b499. the FormWnd is really nice.. i like it alot, and RM-X now uses it for its configuration. Without modifying any code, i was able to compile DeJaVU Meter for Wasabi Player, and with a few hacks, i also managed to get wIRC up and running.

any other questions? please ask...

and remember... it is NOT Winamp3. thank you.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 29th October 2003, 20:33   #16
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Gen_ff was forked off the Wasabi tree a few months back. It's based on #499.
hmm, both good and bad..

good: Wasabi can be developed for Wasabi Player entirely and not just Winamp 5 (ie: more time for Wasabi Player related work)

bad: Wasabi/Wasabi Player will have a hard time following Gen_ff/Winamp 5 when it comes to skin compatibility.
For Wasabi Player to ever have a chance, it will have to fully support Winamp 5 skins, just like Winamp 5 need to be able to fully support Winamp3 skins..

Other than that, I've been looking forward to this day along time now.

on to other things....

About the fonts:
Wasabi Player now use Freetype fonts as default (can it even be changed to TrueType? I tried in configurification but it changes back again to Freetype) as do Winamp 5 for Modern skins.
This change has affected every single place there is a textline, for better or worse.
But it's no biggie, stuff (xml) will just have to be fix0red a little and problem gone...
Though with this move, it's important that both ttf and freetype text will look good (though freetype will probably be prioritized cos of portability)

Skin changes:
default standardframe is now in Wasabi Player/themes/default (this is a good thing, since it was all spread out in the Wacs dir before)
however, will this mean there will be a way to switch the theme? would be cool, cos personally I like the 499 skin better than 499c.
New skin is largely built using xml-generated graphics (this is why it looks like it does) which is a lot faster to load than regular bitmaps.

I think this release marks the start of very good things to come..

-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 02:03   #17
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkain
and remember... it is NOT Winamp3. thank you.
Are we now *trying* to cause confusion?? kidding.. i think it may cause confusion for a while, but after the confusion clears, it will be even less confusing. 'cuz right now, i completely understand the whole situation, but i'm still confused

actually, since there are so few who care about wa3/WP anymore , it may cause very little confusion.

also, that means this thread is misnamed, and so is the download. and there are a lot of refferences to winamp3 in the prog itself. oh i love being picky! such fun.

~WHEREamI

Last edited by WHEREamI; 30th October 2003 at 02:29.
Old 30th October 2003, 02:33   #18
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
since there are so few who care about wa3/WP anymore
Have a little faith.
People stopped caring for more or less two reasons:

1. There was only one public release of Winamp3 and it was way too early (thank you AOL). Alot of people liked it, some didn't.
Among those who did like it, alot of them never realised there were alot of developer builds released and got tired of waiting for a new release.

2. When AOL pulled the plug on Winamp3, most of the users who still cared enough about it to actually develop something for it, stopped. Only a very limited number of people willing to develop for it still exist.

So, what have we learned from this?
Well, two things:

1. AOL are evil

2. Public releases attract users.
But, before going 1.0, take the time to make it 1.0 worthy.
During that time, make sure to release developer builds, because that attract fellow developers and some hobby users.
After going 1.0, make sure to release public updates atleast once a year in order to keep the users and attract more users..

If things are going well (it will, if AOL let it), I think the Wasabi userbase will grow again. Maybe there'll be an entire new userbase consisting of people who didn't go from Winamp2 to Wasabi (wanting Wasabi to be something it isn't)..

-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 02:34   #19
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

i cant belive im the only one who has noticed why the font stuff has changed... it now uses freetype rendering and not truetype.
and i think all wa3 forums should be killed and a litle section for wasabi and wasabi player opened.. as they are somthing DIFFERENT! like wa2 isnt wa3... wasabi player isnt wa3 also..
gen_ff + winamp2 = winamp5.. that is only there till wasabi matures into a stable enough system to have a new player built totaly on wasabi again.. by the time this happens... wasabi player will be more stable than anything

also. WHEREamI. please.. there is no build 500 so how could gen_ff be made with it?

i think russ jump the gun a little with putting 499c on the forums as alot still needs to be done to it.. it is just a snapshot of current code.. it isnt a release.. but anyway... tis late and im going to bed.. bye
Old 30th October 2003, 02:44   #20
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Bizzy:
No, you're not the only one who noticed..
Look a few posts up:
Quote:
Originally posted by Plague
About the fonts:
Wasabi Player now use Freetype fonts as default (can it even be changed to TrueType? I tried in configurification but it changes back again to Freetype) as do Winamp 5 for Modern skins.
-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 03:19   #21
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Plus if Brennan does continue working on Wasabi Player I ask about having a Wasabi Player forum created, probably down in development to not confuse the n00bs.

Of course depending on what mostly Steve and the other Mods say.
This mod would be very happy with that happening.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 30th October 2003, 10:09   #22
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

I'd rather everything went into Wasabi Development to start with - I can't see that much activity happening, and it'd be nice to have it all in one place.

Old 30th October 2003, 10:41   #23
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizzy D.
also. WHEREamI. please.. there is no build 500 so how could gen_ff be made with it?
yes, i now realize my error. i somehow got the impression that there was an internal, unreleased build 500. i now know that gen_ff was forked off around 499. but i still look forward to a build 500, purported to have a Linux version.
Old 30th October 2003, 12:34   #24
josk

Im junkie too!
Old 30th October 2003, 12:55   #25
Caleb

I love it!

The King is dead!
Hail the new king, Wasabi Player !!!

I still can't get used to the Ugly media library in winamp2.9x/5 and the way you manage your playlists! (wa3 had a great playlist.. and in wa5 you gotta open the library for the playlists)

Plus, wa3 has gapless playback!

I hope that in a year or so we'll have a powerful wasabi platform to build on a great player...

i do hope that brennan keeps working no it!

Currenly Working on: WA3 Scripting/XML IDE
Old 30th October 2003, 15:42   #26
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

plague: [wpdir]/Wacs/wasabi.system/platform/freetype.wac <<< just delete that
Old 30th October 2003, 16:09   #27
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

uuh, that's a little TOO radical..
I don't mind having Freetype fonts, I just wanted to clear up whether the config reg setting works or not...

-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 17:51   #28
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb
Plus, wa3 has gapless playback!
So does Winamp 2.x/5.x

Anyway, all hail the Wasabi Player
TF it isn't dead.

Question is, will it be Nullsoft Wasabi Player?
ie. supported on this site with its own forum(s).
I hope so . . .
Old 30th October 2003, 18:10   #29
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Question is, will it be Nullsoft Wasabi Player?
It will become apparent that this question doesn't in fact matter.

Old 30th October 2003, 18:14   #30
logoguy

Send a message via AIM to logoguy
Ok, it was released a little early in my opinion. =\ Although it nice to know that you guys are working on a project thats not just about looks! I will be quite pleased if a new project forms out of this, for a player based on wasabi kicks the shit out of what ever winamp2 is. I do like winamp5 but its a tinker toy compared to what winamp3 can do. I dont know what it is winamp3/wasabiplayer seem to be more comfortable to me. Even though it crashes and such keep up the good work fellas your getting somewhere!
Old 30th October 2003, 18:24   #31
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by logoguy
Ok, it was released a little early in my opinion.
The decision to release it was controversial, but I decided to release it because a hell of a lot of people thought the project was dead. And while this may not be particularly usable, that wasn't my intention. I released it to show that Winamp3 isn't dead, and that it's back with a vengeance.

And believe me, this isn't the last surprise we have lined up.

Old 30th October 2003, 21:06   #32
who_am_i

bug report

anyone else get a whole lot of error message boxes during the install?

it keeps saying stuff like:

-----
winamp3.exe - Entry Point Not Found
-
The Procedure entry point ?_dispatch@SysCallbackI@@MAEHHPAXPAPAXH@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library common.dll.
-----

when the install finishes, I get to see the winamp 3 splash screen, but then the program just crashes

i tried redownloading and reinstalling..
Old 30th October 2003, 22:18   #33
who_am_i

cancel that bug report :)

Ah, thanks.. after I uninstalled everything worked fine.
Old 31st October 2003, 00:26   #34
mark e
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkain
... skin was changed...
Screenshot? Can anybody post it...
and that skin download too?
Old 31st October 2003, 01:42   #35
who_am_i

skin

here's the skin.. had to zip it for the forum to accept it
Attached Files
File Type: zip default.zip (65.1 KB, 313 views)
Old 31st October 2003, 02:54   #36
Darkain
Major Dude

http://darkain.skin-zone.net/comments.php?rootid=27

here are 2 images... the first is RM-X on b499, the second is RM-X on b499c.

(yes, i know the page doesnt load 100% correctly in MS-IE, i just havnt gotten around to fixing it yet)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 31st October 2003, 07:53   #37
mark e
Major Dude

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2003, 11:22   #38
mark
Forum King

I like it, it looks more "Linuxy", which is allways good. Windows font rendering is fugly!

I agree the references to winamp should be changed, to diefferentiate this. IMHO it should never have been called winamp in the 1st place.

Lookin forward to theses "surprises"!
Old 31st October 2003, 19:46   #39
who_am_i

I never realized how many times I opened the about box until I ran into this build
Old 2nd November 2003, 15:53   #40
Mr. Tao

Exclamation Per-user settings

Thanks for still developing this one! This is my favorite mp3 player.

There are few bugs persisting in this build
  1. Support for per-user settings is buggy. It works when path to "Documents and Setting\Username\Application Data\… " contains only US characters, but when some e.g. accented or engraved character is used, paths stored in studio.xnf are stored or read incorrectly, so no playlists are loaded at atartup, even if they are physically present in pledit folder as well as in studio.xnf (this bug is present since per-user support was introduced-I think I reported it already using bugzilla).
  2. Same problem applies for playlists named using such characters.
  3. The font used in this build is HORRIBLE-I use LCD display with 120 dpi resolution and I can't see almost anything. (Winamp 5 has the same problem, but I didn't care much as I uninstalled it in few minutes ). Please see attached screenschot-it's not scalled-this is really what I see . I think I'll have to resort to original #499
  4. When LAN network path ("\\Server\dir style", I didn't check if it applies also to mounted drives) is not accessible, WP lags for quite a long time.
  5. I liked that dark gray taskbar icon from original #499 more than this white
Attached Images
File Type: png wp playlist - font.png (22.7 KB, 378 views)

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development