Old 3rd March 2011, 11:17   #321
rockouthippie
Banned

I put my thumb, just now, between a puppies eyes for a pet, and asked her if she knows how much daddy loves BB. She knows.

Quote:
A well-trained dog of any breed will walk (or run) away from kids
If you teach them, they do have the concept of "babies". A "baby" never has it coming. I have seen kids be really nasty to a dog. You are right. A good dog understands they are little shitheads and won't rile. I remember my nephew kicking my doberman in the balls. He was about 4. A nice square kick right in the gonads. The dog got a little petulant, but didn't hurt him. Actually, he grabbed little Josh by the face and I'm sure the growl of a 115lb Red Dobie did get in his central nervous system, but he did not even leave a scratch on the kid. This is a dobie that was attack trained. A professional soldier, not an idiot. If I told that dog to kill you, you'd be dead. If Chet hadn't loved me, I'd be dead. I'm pretty stout, but hand to hand combat with a 115lb Dobie.... I'd lose... 3 of me would probably lose.

I wasn't as kind when Josh kicked me in the balls

Our dogs love our kids with the same understanding of how much we love our dogs. Their emotions aren't identical to ours, but confident dogs are rational. Some days, I think their emotional stability exceeds ours.

Secure dogs, loved dogs, socialized dogs are not a threat. It might even be that dogs that have significant physical prowess can laugh off a little insult.

I've had a couple Rotty's. A Great Dane... a Husky... You'd really have to push to piss any of those off. Well trained and loved, they are like still water. I always found the company of a good canine to be restful. The American Staffordshire Terrier? I never owned one, but I have seen some in kind hands. Damn good sturdy dawg.

It's almost something primal in me. I love the company of a good canine.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 3rd March 2011 at 12:44.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 01:14   #322
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
http://img715.imageshack.us/slidesho...eahandgus2.jpg

Yeah, some dogs (older, tamer, well-trained dogs) can take some shit without having a kid for a snack, as shown on my bud's pictures, but sadly not all dogs can take it.

It's hard to believe that the dog was even alive when that little girl was on him - he didn't really react much. When he had enough (which was a while later), he just got up and went to sleep under a bush. Springers are pretty well-known for patience with kids. I don't know if I would try this with a German shepherd or a pitbull (or any dog for that matter) unless I really knew the dog and it's owner and trusted both.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 01:21   #323
rockouthippie
Banned

I almost think the reverse would be true. Kids are less likely to hurt a stout dog than a little one. My experience is that it's the ankle biters that take a chunk out of a kid. I remember my "kick you in the balls" nephew banging Daisy the Rottweiler over the head with a plastic sand shovel... hard enough to hurt. Not even a hint of a growl out of the dog. I growled!

Kids and dogs are a somewhat supervised activity. If you train the dog and the kid, one of them will usually keep em' out of trouble. It is a good idea for a dog to have a place to retreat, should they get tired of being banged over the head. It's also a good idea to teach the kids to leave the dog alone when it's in it's hiding spot.

I've had a lot of big dogs. Kids getting bit has not been an issue. Getting knocked over by the clumsy oafs..... yep... Bites no....
Old 4th March 2011, 01:36   #324
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I guess I could see some truth to that - a big dog would likely just tackle the kid playfully or growl when he/she's had enough, but that's more the case with what I showed on pictures. Some dumbass punk throwing rocks likely won't get much forgiveness from almost any dog. The dog would likely either run away or attack.

Old 4th March 2011, 01:47   #325
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Some dumbass punk throwing rocks likely won't get much forgiveness from almost any dog.
It is a cardinal rule with my dogs that they don't even get to think about growling at children or me. It's one of the couple things that will get daddy upside your head.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:17   #326
fc*uk

I am going to respectfully disagree about the pits temperament issues.

http://m.examiner.com/exChicago/pm_6...tguid=afVRpsEg

I think what it really comes down to here is how the animal is treated. I would bet you I could take lassie or a lab and teach it to be more vicious towards anyone or anything than my dog. Maybe we ought to screen the people and not ban the dog ... shit we attempt to do it for guns, why not animals as they can be just as lethal?

Anyway, my point before heading out to drop another set ...

I got the results from my dog's genetic test back. Turns out he is an American Staffordshire Terrier, which is not technically a pit bull, but is still a bull breed dog. Fine hair to split, but it is one to split ...

edit:

I agree roh. My dog did that to the neighbor's three year old boy exactly once the first time he met him when I first got the dog. He then learned just how unacceptable that was. He has never even thought about doing it since. See, it all goes back to the owner and the owner actually taking responsibility for the animal...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 02:06   #327
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Right, but that once isn't always a lucky outcome. An owner doesn't always prepare a dog for that, because the owner doesn't know that the dog is capable of it until the event happens. And, you're right, it's not just pits... other dogs that aren't known for violence can be trained to be violent, but it isn't as inherent. Again, nature vs. nurture, and both can be contributing factors.

Personally I let the dogs free a lot, but only because no kids are anywhere near here, and they're very nice to good-natured people, including good kids. However, if a kid wanted to be mean, it's hard for me to predict how the dogs would react, because I don't think they've ever experienced a mean person. In a sense, I'm putting myself at risk by letting them loose, because they've never been trained to handle mean people, because they've never seen mean people, and I already know they often rip groundhogs to shreds.

Old 8th March 2011, 08:52   #328
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Considering that the domesticated dogs which are the subject of this discussion are many generations beyond their wild ancestors, I'd have to say that nurturing has considerably more influence on a dog's behavior than their original nature. Domestic means "tame", and as such, a domesticated dog's nature will be quite neutral compared to that of a wild animal.

I think lawmakers too often confuse the capability of a dog with the nature of a dog. Any dog over 100lbs. is capable of seriously harming a person - and even more so, a child. I'd still contend that the ones that actually do almost always have a history that includes violent treatment (and often neglect) by one or more humans. For instance, Rottweilers are particularly large and heavy, and have more powerful jaws than most (or perhaps all?) other breeds. This means when they are abused over time, the likelihood of a person getting hurt by them is significantly higher than the chances of getting hurt by, say, an abused miniature poodle.

A definition of the word nature by Dictionary.com (Unabridged) is "by nature, as a result of inborn or inherent qualities; innately." The same source defines innate as "originating in or arising from the intellect or the constitution of the mind, rather than learned through experience". That almost any violent dog can be rehabilitated and trained to be reliably safe around people demonstrates that such violence is not an innate tendency of any particular dog breed. An animal's nature, by definition, cannot be "trained out" of it.

Nurturing a dog is the silver bullet in preventing violent behavior, regardless of breed. Caring properly for a dog from birth is ideal, but even if one isn't nurtured at all until later in life, it can still be rendered a gentle animal with applied training and care.

As with any animal, there is still some level of nature present in a dog from its very beginning. But extensive evidence demonstrates that the influence of "nurture" far outweighs the influence of "nature" in domestic dogs of any breed. Lawmakers should understand and accept this fact, and then design laws that deal properly with the ownership of dogs, holding owners 100% responsible for the actions of their dog rather than treating certain breeds as "inherently dangerous" in an attempt to implement what they perceive as preventative measures upon society. For indeed, there is no such thing as an inherently dangerous breed of domesticated dog.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 09:26   #329
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Rottweilers are particularly large and heavy, and have more powerful jaws than most (or perhaps all?) other breeds.
It's all. Not perhaps all. Twice the bite of a German Shepherd #2... approaching 500 ft/lbs. Well loved, they are the biggest goofy, gentle critters. In my hands, I would always worry about clumsy rather than intentional violence with kids. My big, big ex-Rotty Kang used a car tire as a "dollie". 4 men lost a tug of war. Kids? They used to ride him like a pony. If I were to point out a "defect" in Rottweilers (including my recently ex-Daze), it might be that they were overprotective of children. They seem to equate my chastise that they never growl at children, to the fact that no one should growl at children. Not even me. Perhaps I raised some dogs wiser than myself. As a daddy of dogs or kids, I am open to the possibility that I might be fucked up. It is why we train both to keep us honest.

The American Staffordshire Terrier is like that. I was watching a BBC show about their animal control people picking up "pit bull" types among other duties. The confiscated animals were not the bad ones.

Maybe people should ban me? I hit the scale at 204 this morning, and I am not as forgiving as a dog

My little brother gave me Temple Grandon's book Animals make us Human for my last birthday. She points out that animal emotions aren't like our's. Dogs are real close.

If you find a bad dog, a human made it bad.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:09   #330
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I love her work! Dr. Grandin believes in humane treatment of Live Stock. And I knew she was very knowledgeable about Horses and Cows, I didn't know she had studied dogs(and maybe cats) as well. Great Book.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 04:53   #331
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
such violence is not an innate tendency of any particular dog breed.
Actually, I think it's something we tried really hard to breed out of them. Even before human tampering with their breeding, the proto-dogs must have been considerably friendlier than a timber wolf.

I do agree with wolf bans. They are a wild animal. They are a lot different than a dog. The difference is mainly that you can teach a dog not to kill. Wolves don't make good house pets.

The American Veterinary Medical Association, Canadian SPCA and Canadian Veterinary Medical Association all support dangerous dog legislation, but not breed banning.

The Center for Disease Control says "most of the factors contributing to dog bites are related to the level of responsibility exercised by dog owners". They also indicate that a primary problem is dogs that are "tethered". I know this from my own experience. You will get a very mean dog if you leave it tied up in a yard with no human interaction. I don't think it matters if it's not continuous imprisonment by a chain.

One of the things that convinces me that dogs are very different from their wild counterparts is that you can handle them when injured. You might get nipped, but I've picked up dogs after being hit by a car and they don't eat your face. Wild animals react quite differently.

The relationship between people and dogs must have started with some early dogs that were considerably more open to human friendship than say... a coyote or a wolf... It only makes sense that humans wouldn't keep dangerous animals in their communities. Many of these breeds were specifically bred to not be aggressive, including Beagles, Foxhounds and most of the hunting breeds. Growling at your master would get you killed or not bred.

In my experience, some of the big dogs, like Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers and German Shepherds, in good hands, are confident dogs. Fear seems to be an issue in dog bites I know about. A confident, well tended dog is not afraid, and therefore not as likely to bite. Interminable imprisonment by a chain makes them feel vulnerable. That's a good part of how people get bit.

I'm on my 8th dog. They never bit anyone. I have been nipped a couple times, but they never drew blood. That's been injured dogs mostly.

Quote:
I already know they often rip groundhogs to shreds.
They can be a hazard to small animals like cats, birds and squirrels. I discourage that as much as possible. It's probably not possible to completely remove the instinct, but I don't think any of them ever considered humans or kids prey. I've seen a horse kill a dog, so it isn't all one way.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:59   #332
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Sugar Gets CPR
If it helps anyone here save a doggie, then good.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:55   #333
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@winamp.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Every Time I try to upload. What Gives?
Joy's Doggies (stashbox)
Old 29th March 2011, 20:16   #334
rockouthippie
Banned

It could be the picture is too large. Php (the language this bb is written in) has an internal limit which will cause a 500 error like the one you got. It's usually 16, 32 or 64M. This is webmaster configurable in the php.ini file.

Happy dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Sugar Gets CPR
If it helps anyone here save a doggie, then good.
Dogs have a weak heart. Well, it's not exactly weak, just arrhythmic. Like us, heart disease is a leading killer. You've got to watch old ones and make sure they don't exercise themselves to death. Dogs that die of heart disease usually really blow a gasket. It's as uncommon as not that humans don't survive a heart attack. Dogs are worse. As a commenter said in this post they were not successful in saving the dog.

I lost a dobie to a heart attack... age 9. Hit him like a brick. He ran a little too hard one day and adiós pooch.

It sounds a little harsh, but I am not real keen on saving a dog after a heart attack. The recuperative period of confinement after an event like that is not something a dog would understand. It's quite an adjustment for humans.

There are reasons to do chest compression and buddy breathing for a dog though. If they drown or if they choke. They generally will at least mildly bite you if they are choking and you try to clear their airway with a finger. You may have to let them pass out first. They usually will quit breathing a few minutes before the ticker stops. Don't do CPR if you have a heart beat. You should "buddy breathe" if you have a heartbeat and no breathing. You'll have about 3 minutes to restore breathing and heartbeat or the dog is risking brain damage.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1677&aid=1604
Old 29th March 2011, 20:46   #335
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

No, I reduced it way down for loading. I can't even upload screenshots. I get a server error for everything and I'm ok on other sites. And yes, they be "Happy Dogs." I love 'em. They are big goof balls.
They take care of Jen- Blue Persian -15 years old.(she weighs about 5lbs)
Thanks for the tip on "Buddy Breathing". That's great to know.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:55   #336
rockouthippie
Banned

It seems like they have limited the file size of jpegs to 195kb. That's pretty small. I tried a fairly large file and got the same error you did. This one is 1.5k. If you are using jpeg, you can set the quality setting probably as low as 30% to meet the target size. It won't look great.....

This seems a little small, but anyone using a modem would probably thank you for keeping things small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3657-300x225.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	48664  
Old 29th March 2011, 22:36   #337
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Adorable, twice! ♥♥
Old 21st April 2011, 14:49   #338
_Marian

I have a dog, I love him. His name is Aldo. He looks like this:

Last edited by _Marian; 21st April 2011 at 16:24.
_Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 20:17   #339
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Oh, what a cute pup!♥
Joy's Maxi-Pie as a Gargoyle
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:40   #340
Titus Lorkson

Dogs are smart. That one reminded me I was not always :

Titus Lorkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 10:50   #341
rockouthippie
Banned

Puppy BB is a year old. I am calling her birthday Easter, because it's about right +/- a couple weeks. I take her to see my mom that is in a nursing home. She is very gentle with the old folks. She has forgotten a mean. beaten and starved puppyhood. She runs a mile at a sprint, towing old fart me on a bike. I cannot outrun her, even with a bike at 35 mph.

She smiles and laughs. She thinks she is worth $1.98. She makes me smile. She is very pretty. She is now 52 lbs of muscle. I was worried. I am not now.

This is a good dog. This is a lady. It makes me smile. Fear of me is zero. Love of me seems infinite. I thought she would be a terrible watch dog. I was wrong. I thought I would never get her socialized. I was wrong. I thought she would be forever unruly. I was wrong.

I thought she would get ran over by a car before she obeyed STOP!. I was wrong. She ran full blast into the side of a car. She's smart! I could see the Sharpei thought wrinkles in operation...... hey... maybe dad gives me a "heads up" and I should pay attention".

Knows I won't kill her with a bath. Doesn't cower. It's a little weird. We all get taught to show a dog the back of our hands as an introduction. With BB, the wheels turn a little. Why are you afraid?.

I now have a dog that doesn't have a downside. Dog #8 has my heart. Dog #8 is a joy.

Happy Birthday BB.

Quote:
Joy's Maxi-Pie as a Gargoyle
That pix made me smile. You can tell that's a very happy, secure pooch.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:26   #342
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I'll have Joy read that. Thanks, roh! He spent a year or so caged up and so did her other "mostly"Mastiff. Rescue can be a great thing.
HB, BB! You cutie-Pie!♥
Old 8th May 2011, 04:54   #343
rockouthippie
Banned

Old 8th May 2011, 11:47   #344
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ ahehehehehehehehehehehe
This is just cute
Old 8th May 2011, 12:25   #345
rockouthippie
Banned

If your dog acts like this you really messed up. Poor puppy. Dachshunds are a good dog.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/212261/dog...bebe-and-sadie
Old 8th May 2011, 23:46   #346
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 05:46   #347
rockouthippie
Banned

5 of 5 neighbor dogs liked this goodie:

Chop a yam into 5/8" french fries. Put the oven on 250. Cook them for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Turn em over once half way through. Cool on a baking rack. They will seem mushy, but when they get cool (and dry more), they are about the consistency of leather chew toy.

BB loves em. I think they could use a little brown sugar and salt. I didn't tell the dogs. They thought this was chewy wonderful stuff.

Cheap and very good for them. I like it.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:02   #348
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*Paws Up*
Old 1st June 2011, 10:28   #349
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Old 1st June 2011, 12:00   #350
rockouthippie
Banned

^That was fun.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:47   #351
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

* It could happen*
Old 15th July 2011, 07:02   #352
rockouthippie
Banned

I haven't been a good daddy for a couple days due to mom's funeral. BB ran 7 miles today chasing and towing me on my bike. After we did that, she spent the rest of the day barking and raising Cain.

My ability to properly wear out a year old pooch is in question It's 11 PM now. She has finally crashed. This pup leaves me wondering whether I have a house pet or a decathlon runner.

Now finally pooch is on my feet. I am sore, having hauled ass for several miles.

Good night BB

I have never seen anything like this pup. She is a running machine. 56 lbs of sprint.

Hell. Beagle/Sharpei mix might be an overlooked energy source.

I used to be able to run 5 minute miles for a few when I was a kid. This dog would have smoked me like a short cigarette. Even on a bike, I have created a running monster.

"Go for walk?" She is finally burned out, but when I just said that..... ears came up.

What a sweet pooch. I actually have never had a dog that could outrun me riding a bike. It isn't my old age. This little bitch loves to run. She eats as much as Daisy at half the weight.

I guess the exercise doesn't do an old dude any harm. I'm 49 and my last leg press test was half a ton (940 lbs... the whole rack) .... not much different than high school.

This reminds me that Beagles and Sharpei's are very old breeds. They have been miniaturized by modern breeding. If I had this pooch in the 14th century, I would have said... Go get me a hare....

The dog would have replied.... "You are going to cook it with medieval Sweet Baby Rays?".

My relationship with dogs seems almost primordial. For 80,000 years they have guarded us, herded our domestic animals and what they asked for was cooked food and a pat on the head.

It's a hell of a bargain.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:29   #353
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I'm sorry, I didn't know your Mom passed. Having BB around right now is a very good thing. For both of you.
Old 15th July 2011, 18:14   #354
rockouthippie
Banned

Having BB around is always a good thing She is like sunshine on paws.

Do I take care of her, or does she take care of me? It's a close call.
Old 30th July 2011, 21:17   #355
rockouthippie
Banned

BB is now a year and a half. She is pushing 3 stone. Athletic, built like a mule. The Cheshire grin melts me sometimes.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:07   #356
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Happy Birthday, BB!
Old 31st July 2011, 03:08   #357
rockouthippie
Banned

I am rather amazed by BB. Pushing 3 stone (60 lbs) and able to hit 35 mph for a half mile towing 10 stone of me... We went to Seaside, Oregon last weekend. She got her butt kicked for a quarter mile by a Weimaraner. I would not expect a retest to be very successful for the dominant bitch. I was waiting. BB is part Sharpei. That is a Spitz dog. To train them is not for amateurs.

You could have a dog that would easily become a chainsaw. I am rather fond of them, so they only become to be respected.
'
I am quite fond of BB. She is generally well mannered and a sweetie. I am realizing that it would be unfortunate to push the point.
Old 31st July 2011, 11:35   #358
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

From the friend, Joy

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 16:44.
Old 3rd August 2011, 02:08   #359
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

They look like they could use a drink since they're out in the heat. Mine have been emptying their water a lot more often than usual this summer.

Old 3rd August 2011, 10:25   #360
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ They are on a Lake in Maine, Ted. They are in and out of the water all day. Joy says her doggies suffer the heat, and I was surprised that such short haired dogs reacted to the heat as badly as they do. One mo

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 16:44.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions