Old 28th January 2003, 10:18   #1
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Magic_Midget Send a message via Yahoo to Magic_Midget
"i dont wanna be drafted!!"

Yeah...well, from the way things are going that can be a possibility. Simple question: would you go or what kind of excuse would you give to the guy to avoid it?

Like Poetry and art? Visit my DeviantArt Site: www.lilithlairpoetry.deviantart.com
Magic_Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 10:21   #2
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
"i am not going to fight your war. fuck you."
what are they gonna do? shoot me in cold blood, in front of other people. hell, they can ship me out to iraq, but i'll be walking home.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 10:35   #3
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

If you don't go to the front lines....they could throw you in jail...or thats what i heard...My best bet is to try and get Section 8 and never go

Like Poetry and art? Visit my DeviantArt Site: www.lilithlairpoetry.deviantart.com
Old 28th January 2003, 10:51   #4
binary hero
Banned

section 8?
fuck it, they can put me on the front line, but i am going to turn round and start walking.
Old 28th January 2003, 10:57   #5
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

prolly get shot in the ass by some dude. On a serious note, if I was to be drafted I have to choose the air force so I can do bombing runs.

Old 28th January 2003, 10:58   #6
binary hero
Banned

i just refuse to fight for my country in this situation. they can sit me in a room and teach me to h4x0r iraqi computers if they want, but i am not going to kill someone so Bush can get cheap oil.
Old 28th January 2003, 11:11   #7
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

I don't think they're after the oil, its more of a threat to us since N. Korea and Pakistan and all those fukked up countries having nukes and just thinking about using it on us. Guess bush is just tryin to renegotiate with those countries or threatening to send armed forces to wipe them out. He's just using us so he can show how much power he has over them..

Old 28th January 2003, 11:14   #8
binary hero
Banned

well, i don't think his reasons are for "the god of the west", maybe he just wants a war, maybe he does have legitimate reasons...i just don't want to kill for him.
Old 28th January 2003, 11:19   #9
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Control of the Middle East and then in about 30 years or less the rest of the world.
My girfriends ex is in the TA, he's going to Iraq tomorrow. She's very worried about him, as is he.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 11:20   #10
binary hero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
Control of the Middle East and then in about 30 years or less the rest of the world.
My girfriends ex is in the TA, he's going to Iraq tomorrow. She's very worried about him, as is he.
he joined the TA, and is worried about fighting? apprehensive could be understandable, but i thought the point of the TA was so people could be drafted from them to fight.
Old 28th January 2003, 11:33   #11
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

Already americans are facing war weariness (term i got from Civ3). The emotions some families go through to see their love ones goto war, maybe never to come back. I've lost 2 of my buddies because they had to go. One of them a female whom was my prom date 2 years ago..

Some people who join TA, Army, or AF use it for college tuition and now they're just going to some country they don't wanna goto. I think this nation should have an option that allows the choice to be drafted.

I think we have enough soldiers to wipe out the middle east. why recruit more?

Old 28th January 2003, 11:35   #12
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

He's only 17, how would you feel being made to goto the front lines? Of course you should join expecting to goto war but that doesn't make it any the less worrying for yourself of people who care about you.
edit: He joined for the career not the fighting

Old 28th January 2003, 19:06   #13
SNYder
Forum King

There won't be a draft. We have enough people already in the armed forces to fight the war with Iraq.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 19:09   #14
Orgone_Man
Major Dude

people in college are the last picks in a draft are they not?
Orgone_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 19:35   #15
SNYder
Forum King

Not sure if it is still this way but, it used to be that if you were attending college you could not be drafted.

IMHO, the draft is arbitrary.
Old 28th January 2003, 19:52   #16
stttafffy
Major Dude

i do not think there will be a draft, i dont think all the reservists will even be called up. we got enough bombs to blow up that country 5 times over, we dont need more soldiers. if there was a draft (and i hadnt already enlisted) I'd join either the marine corps or the coast guard, to either be best trained for whatever action i might see, or to not see any at all. also, if there is a draft coming and you think you are likely to get drafted, enlist in the servce of your choice beforehand and choose your MOS (job) to be something that is not inherently dangerous.

another note: the US was won and is defended by its people. if you are called to defend it, and you are able to, and do not (by running ot canada or whatever) then you do not deserve to live here (in my opinion).

In space no one can hear you scream.
stttafffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 21:31   #17
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
The best way to get out of the army is say that you're gay.

But you don't need to worry about pretending to out yourself, the only way a draft would be considered is if China declared war while the US fights NK and Iraq.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 21:32   #18
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
nother note: the US was won and is defended by its people.
Need I point out that blowing up some piddling little underdeveloped country half a world away that maybe in a couple decades just might actually have 1/10000th of our nuclear capability HARDLY counts as defense...it's an offensive operation, and you know it.

So no, I would not join if there was a draft (I'd probably go to Australia), as I'm not about to let myself be sent off to die in the middle of some peice of shit desert because the president just happens to be a pissed off asshole with an IQ that barely measures in the double digits. If a country were to actually try to invade my state/hometown/whatever however, that would be different (then it really IS about defense...not necessarily of the country, but of myself), and I'd gladly pick up a weapon and fight back.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 22:10   #19
Orgone_Man
Major Dude

Weren't we worried about communism gaining the upper hand back in the day? I could see how that might cause some conflicts to occur, but what is it exactly that we are fighting for now? I guess it is to stop terrorism.

I wonder why terrorists do what they do. Is it really solely based on religious convictions?
Orgone_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2003, 22:16   #20
Some1
Forum King

I think the religious conviction helps, but I'm sure there's more to it than that...political motives, issues with miscellaneous foreign policies, frustrations about receiving little to no official recognition, grudges held from the time of the Crusdaes, etc...nobody straps themselves to a bomb on the basis of religious conviction alone.
Old 29th January 2003, 00:43   #21
eleet-2k2
Forum King

I'm Canadian and will not fight your fucking war. (I really do believe this war is in part to a) kill GWB's dad's arch-enemy, b) distract america's attention from the homefront where power continually transfers from the state's to the white house, and c) GWB really really wants some middle-eastern swimming pool.)

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 00:45   #22
Some1
Forum King

let's not forget reason d) to draw attention away from the fucked up economy.
Old 29th January 2003, 01:13   #23
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
e) power trip. Just one big ego orgy.

MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 01:19   #24
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

The economy is not "fucked up", that is something everyone is saying. Yes, the stock market is down, and that is because several stocks were overpriced and are still overpriced. Furthermore, the corporate world has just undergone dramatic accountibility reforms that were really good for the economy in the long run. What is really sagging is investment, and this is what Bush hopes to remedy with lifting capital gains tax, which I am sure he will talk about in his state of the Union address tonight.

This momentary downturn is called the business cycle- the current activity repeats itself about every decade give or take a couple years. It is a perfectly normal behavior. It is extremely important to remember The GNP is still growing faster than other industrial nations and has continued to grow through the last couple quarters.

Where is ujay/RM when you need them...
Old 29th January 2003, 02:04   #25
Some1
Forum King

no, it is quite fucked up...everybody knows that any time the stock market isn't gaining points at an exponential rate is a time when the economy is fucked up. I want my free stock market moneys!!!
Old 29th January 2003, 02:42   #26
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

You will get your free stock market moneys when the immoral dividend and capital gains taxes are gone!
Old 29th January 2003, 02:44   #27
psyfive
Forum King

I have flat feet, bad eyesight, and am 50lbs overweight.

I don't know if that will get me outta the draft now but it would have durring vietnam.
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 04:11   #28
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by psyfive
I have flat feet, bad eyesight, and am 50lbs overweight.

I don't know if that will get me outta the draft now but it would have durring vietnam.
every american is 50 pounds over weight now, so you can cross that off your list of reasons

I can just imagine us going to war. we are running across the battle field toward the enemy with our flag raised high screaming and yelling ready to kill for our country. then, half way to the enemy you see everyone laying on the ground panting for air while the medics pass out Wendy's Double Bacon Cheeseburger's.
Old 29th January 2003, 05:13   #29
Avalon
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Avalon
Re: "i dont wanna be drafted!!"

Quote:
Originally posted by [Arcane]
Yeah...well, from the way things are going that can be a possibility. Simple question: would you go or what kind of excuse would you give to the guy to avoid it?
I would if I actually belived in it. But if I wanted to make an excuse it would be like this "My religion states that I cannot kill and I follow it to the letter. What religion, Christianity. So we had a crusade or seveal and an inquisition, was I there? No, okay then!"
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 05:55   #30
That Myers Kid

War is The USAs answer to a bad economy. The bigger the war, the better the boom for the economy. Even the losers often end up economically more sound e.g. Japan because the winners usually inject funds into the country afterwards. This isnt always the case though
That Myers Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 06:31   #31
SNYder
Forum King

American's have this idea that war solves things and that war is the answer to our foreign policy problems. If that was the case, why since WWII have we had 17 wars, and now 18 if we go to war with Iraq. Hell, WWI was called the war to end all wars, and all that did was bring about WWII.

Ah, nevermind me. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 29th January 2003, 06:37   #32
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Orgone_Man
people in college are the last picks in a draft are they not?
The following age groups in order to be drafted:

So pretty much young college kids have a 50/50 chance of not being drafted.

Old 29th January 2003, 07:24   #33
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
/me lubs j00, nem.

bringing peace to tha world, one day at a time.

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 07:55   #34
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
I remind you that the people of this country voted him into office.
No...the Supreme Court mandated him into office...Gore won the popular vote, and probably would have won the electoral vote had the courts not decided that they were sick of all the BS with the recounts and the "hanging chads"...not that Gore would have necessarily been any better than Bush...what's the point in voting when the two major candidates are practically identical to one another in every major way, and when the popular vote isn't even used to decide who gets into office anyways?

I'm sorry, but with the way the government is set up in this country, bitching and moaning is about the only thing that malcontents CAN do. We are not nearly as democratic as we like to think we are, and there simply ISN'T anything that your average individual can do to bring about change, and since I can't change anything, I fully intend to sit around and rage about the ineptitude of the people who actually have the ability to change things.

Quote:
Would you all really think Bush is the “idiot” the press and pop culture made him out to be; and if so what actions has he taken that have his administration taken that have given you this view
Yes...have you ever watched the guy give a speech? Sometimes he comes across as if he has no comprehension of the english language at all...if he's intelligent, he sure doesn't wear it very well...

Quote:
Heh, do you think Gore or another candidate would have been a better president and if so, why didn’t you support him with your votes and time?
I answered this...Gore would likely have been just as bad, and my vote is irrlelvant, it's the electoral votes that count, not the popular vote.

Quote:
Why are you so damn lazy?
Because it's easy.

Quote:
Let me be the first to tell all you arrogant, desensitized wimps you to get the silver spoon out of your asses and get the fuck out.
Pay for my plane flight, and the costs of shipping all my stuff, and take care of all the immigration paperwork that I'd certainly be required to fill out to move to a new country, and find me a new apartment in the new country, and I'll gladly leave...until you're willing to do that, then you're just going to have to "put up and shut up" with me and my bitching.
Old 29th January 2003, 08:02   #35
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
and i have just as much right to look down on you for your views on this subject.
You certainly do, but if you choose to bitch about the bitching, and then proclaim adherence to a philosophy of "put up or shut up," you have labeled yourself as a hypocritye to at least a certain degree, and although you have the right to be as hypocritical as you like, why would you want to?

Quote:
And I still firmly believe that living in the misery that so many of us project because you are lazy is pathetic. Wouldn’t it make sense to go somewhere else? Why live an unhappy life?
You are missing the possibility that at least some of the people who like to complain don't necessarily hate the country, or think that it is hugely worse than other places out there, they just see that things aren't as good as they could be, and want to point this out so that things can get better (i.e. you can't fix something that's broken until you acknowledge that it's broken in the first place). Why move somewhere else if doing so will just give you even more to complain about?
Old 29th January 2003, 08:32   #36
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
I disagree. Inspiring debate in itself is doing something about it and is a basis of Government.
Then wouldn't the bitching itself fall under this same clause?

Quote:
Shouldn’t life be based on the pursuit of happiness for isn’t it pointless and useless to live in desolation?
I don't know...I don't generally like speaking of what life itself should be, beyond the extent that as long as an individual is not directly harming others, life should be whatever they want it to be.

But since the topic has been brought up, I think that things would be much better if people would stop thinking of themselves as members of these various groups (countries, ethnic groups, etc.), and just see themselves as being individuals instead...I'm not an American, I am simply a human being living in America, and the only difference between me and your average person in Iraq is geogrpahic position, and you're going to contend that I should be willing to kill this person who's essentially no differnt from me simply because our government happens to have a quarrel with his government? Once you break from the group-centered way of looking at things, war becomes an option of absolute last resort, not something to be thrown around as lightly as the government seems to like doing.
Old 29th January 2003, 09:13   #37
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

the fact that some people would be willing to draft dodge for the stupidest shit reasons makes me sick. all you fucking anti war hippies have been brainwashed by the media. this is why they shouldnt be allowed anywhere near anything related to anything government because all they do is misquote, twist words, and try to make you think the only reason bush wants to go to war is for oil.

if you ask me, this is a good idea. make an example of iraq to keep korea and whoever else is being a bleeding anus about this in check.

i would be happy to be drafted and go kick some desert ass, i would also like to have seen what you damn draft dodgers woulda had done to you if you tried to dodge during WW2 when there was hardly any media around, they way it should be now.
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 09:30   #38
lordicarus

Send a message via ICQ to lordicarus
If they were willing to put me through some hardcore sniper training, they could send me right over there to f*in assassinate Saddam. I would do it with pleasure. A draft will never happen again, but if some hypothetical circumstance came to be, I would fight for my COUNTRY, not Bush. I like the freedoms I have been given the privilege to enjoy, and I would be willing to fight for them.

Oh and InvisableMan - Amen. Thats all I have to say.
lordicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2003, 10:15   #39
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Last paragraph of some1's last post - exactly .
What I think people are forgetting is that absolutly nothing has changed with regards to Iraq since 10the September 2001. nothing, not a bean. Then we get a president, heck a whole government, run by neo-republicans. Thse people are not in the slightest bit interested in the security of the US. Iraq is just not a threat even in the slightest, they're not capable of attacking the US, end of story. The notion that they are supporting / supported by, Al Quaeda is frankly laughable and amazing. Saddam has continually repressed Islamic fundamentailist in his own country for the past 30 years, the thought that he is now cooperating with them is ridiculous. If Iraq ever managed to sell a nuclear weapon to Al Quaeda Bagdad would be the first place to go.

I also think there has been some confusion on what 'defending your country' actually means. It means you stop people attacking you. It does not mean, waltz into another country and bomb the shit out of it. That is attacking, not defending, end of story.

Anyone who believes that Mr Bush was ever going to let diplomacy win in this matter is ignoring the facts of the way they are playing this. I can't see any justification for attacking a country that is of no threat to you, don't get mixed up here, Iraq is incapeable of harming the US with an attack on US soil.

What a few Americans here are also forgetting is that only the tinyiest percentage of the worlds population voted for the president of the US and UK. I also disagree strongly with the notion that once a president has been elected we have much choice or influence in policy decision. "Go back to bed America, your government is in control, go back to bed America, your government has figured out how it all transpires. You are free to do as we tell you, you are free, to do as we tell you".

Why do you want to go 'Kick some Desert arse'? Any good justifiable reason that is not based on lies, deciet and twofacedness? The reason America wants to goto war with Iraq is not particularly oil. The US know that Iraq is more than willing to produce as much oil as the US needs if sanctions are lifted. What the US do want is control, control of the middle east and control over Saudi Arabia. They don't like Saudi's power over oil prices, they also want more control over the whole middle east region. Probably packaged as 'adding stability to the region' - the same reason they kept saddam in power for so long. Opressive regimes are ok as long as they do as the US says and provides stability.

Old 29th January 2003, 10:22   #40
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemessis
HENS! All of you!

[beautiful tirade against the masses]
This was truly wonderful, Nem. I am glad to see some people still exist don't see the US Government and the President the way SNL and pop culture envision him.

Quote:
I don’t believe anyone has the right to bitch about Bush who didn’t vote in the last election, I remind you that the people of this country voted him into office. Spare me the “but I am too young excuse” because I can bet none of you actually campaigned for the other candidates
I would like to point out that I voted for Bush, but didn't personally campaign for him. (I would have campaigned for Forbes, however...) But at the same time, I would also like to say that my father and I both go in together on a check written to the GOP every year- not a big amount, but... enough where we have gotten two Christmas cards from the President. Put your money where your mouth is, I say. Hey! There's a thought, why don't you dissaffected youth give some cash to the Communist canidate that runs every year? Your favorite rock musician would like it very much.

And thank you for the skin plug Nem. Always appreciated.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions