Old 14th December 2010, 00:16   #1
Jirehscope

Moving up from my server to host server

If I start my station by hosting it myself is there are problem with moving it to a host server later as my listeners increase?
Jirehscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 00:22   #2
fc*uk

Nope, no problem with doing this. Just make sure to keep compliant with broadcasting laws in your country.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 13:50   #3
port66

if your in briton and play anything other then dance, you just need a licence from these http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

there are no other regulations for online broadcasting, britons gov is all for p2p and compitition

uk/happy hardcore have their own little governing body, so artists get 2p royalities for each song from every sell of a mix cd, most of the labels are part of
port66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 13:58   #4
dotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by port66 View Post
if your in briton and play anything other then dance, you just need a licence from these http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

there are no other regulations for online broadcasting, britons gov is all for p2p and compitition
Sorry, but statements like this are a great example of why people should never take legal advice from a forum.

The UK is like most other countries - to stream any music that is protected by copyright requires either written permission from all involved (Artist, Label, Composer etc) or licenses from PPL (Labels/Artists) and PRS (Composers/Songrwiters).

In the USA, it's SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 14:08   #5
port66

it says all you need is a licence, all the big labels use the main singular body for licencing the countries government recognizes, small independant labels cant afford to be part of, and some music scene have their own little governing bodies

if you station is in briton, you dont need any other licence. to actually broadcast online like you would on the FM dial

and if your a wishful DJ. and wanting to play the club circuit, you listen when a label moans about copyright in a email
Old 14th December 2010, 14:40   #6
fc*uk

thanks for beating me to that one dotme. I about fell over when I read that.

If you are correct port66, then why does the ppl and prs exist? Why do they sell licensing rights online for people broadcasting in the UK to purchase?
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 12:13   #7
port66

it licences pop/classical/etc music thats released on all the big labels, not small independent labels most "dance" music scenes 12" vinyls are released on
Old 15th December 2010, 12:21   #8
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by port66 View Post
it licences pop/classical/etc music thats released on all the big labels, not small independent labels most "dance" music scenes 12" vinyls are released on
If I were you, fact checking and not putting out over reaching statements would be the order of the day.

PPL collects royalties for *ALL* music played and they work out who/where/when. Unless you have written and confirmed permission from the music royalty holder,PPL need to be paid, period.

The same applies for MCPRS.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 15:46   #9
port66

mix cds will ask for permission, but there are 100+ independent labels for each scene, drum n bass, house, techno, hardcore, dubstep, hardstyle, where most labels are specialized to a scene, and none of them can afford to be part of the elite with the countries governing body licencing the material

netstations like to call themselves are pirates with dance music, but they are not, as most stations wont have ondemand playlists when there is no live show, and DJ`s complaining about tunes being played in a mix wont happen,

dance music etc has come along way since the 7/80s. but tunes are still released on independent labels without permission with samples from movies and hiphop and other music scenes

if a tune is unreleased and sent out as a promo or dubplate to some other DJ`s who make it public before its proper releases is when they cause a ch1t storm
Old 24th December 2010, 06:31   #10
ServerRoom

When you move to a host server, make sure they provide royalty reports for you. That will make it easier to figure out what you have to pay.
ServerRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions