Old 2nd December 2000, 23:48   #1
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Don't you HATE plagues? Doesn't the way Ebola makes you bleed out of each and every orifice of your body just... SUCK?

I imagine thats whats on the minds of
the Pakistani's - as it just broke out one of their most populated cities....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000252141601804&rtmo=psBIhpbe&atmo =99999999&pg=/et/00/12/1/wbul01.html#go2

If it spreads to india a 4th of the worlds population are doomed....

Xerxes
Ashes, Ashes, we all fall down...

[This message has been edited by Xerxes (edited December 02, 2000).]
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2000, 23:53   #2
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

sounds like it'd suck to have ebola. look on the bright side: it only lasts 2 days.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 00:30   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Also, if such a massive population was to die, then there would be less people in the world.

Less people = less pollution
less pollution = less harm to the environment
less harm to the environment = happy humans.

(In my theory)

Of course, this tread begs me to make references to the disease that is deadlier that AIDS...

AOL

------------------
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
MP3 Resource Centre
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 02:22   #4
Mulefire

Hey you know we proberly haven't seen anything yet... every year as the ice caps melt more once long dormant frozen bacteria breathe a new lease of life...I bet they're having a good old drool looking around at the pleasure to be had in this overpopulated, wide open world of delicious hosts...Mmmm..yummy. Then of course there are the falling rocks from space...carrying unkown cargos deep inside...oh and of course there is the oceans...a breeding ground for some funky new strains of groovilicious pain and misery to come! Yay...

You know all is not too depressing though, I mean we are a virus in some respects and whos to say that our entire species is not some deliberate abberation caused by the intervention of some malicious viri in eons past as part of some great plan... or heck even as a fluke...just a host... so what's another couple of new kids on the block?
Mulefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 03:18   #5
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

On top of all that, MickeyD's is servin chicken heads.......
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 04:03   #6
That Myers Kid

If all those people were to die the rotting corpses would spread all manner of airborne disease across the globe wiping out the entire human population and most others, leaving the cockroaches to rule the earth. Well they are relatively meek.

------------------
The Sig Remains The Same
That Myers Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 04:09   #7
rm'
Banned

I have no pity for AIDS victims. Except for the ones that get it by blood transfusion. Ebola, on the other hand, is a cruel, and pitiless disease. Unfortunately, every sq km of deforested rainforest yields deadlier, and more vicious diseases. In my opinion, the rainforests provide more disease than they do cures. Just raze them all to the ground. Mule, the melting ice caps has little to do with emerging diseases, because the majority of the scary ones (hantavirus, west nile encephalitis, ebola) are all caused by viruses, and aren't affected all that much by warmer temperatures. With deforestation, the vectors of these viruses come in closer contact with humans, and that's how they spread.

------------------
Youthful, smart and virile!
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 04:12   #8
rm'
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by That Myers Kid:
If all those people were to die the rotting corpses would spread all manner of airborne disease across the globe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is assuming that most people carry airborne diseases to begin with, which they don't. Airborne diseases are extremely rare. Air transmitted (via mucous) disease, on the other hand, is more common (flu, most diseases involving coughing, sneezing, or vomiting) require the host to be alive, in order to be transmitted. A corpse provides no health hazard, other than the possibility to contaminate water supplies.

------------------
Youthful, smart and virile!
Old 3rd December 2000, 05:06   #9
Mulefire

Hmmm... but with every new drilling expedition / exacavation we are going further and further into the past. It is entirely possible for life to remain dormant for exceptionally long periods of time in conditions thought to be unviable. Our immune systems are proberly not going to be too happy with a nasty bacteria millions of years old. True the likelihood of anything coming back to life that is remotely harmful is proberly miniscule but still the possibility exists and will get moreso as we continue to destroy the frozen graves keeping it in limbo.

Remember whatever it is doesn't have to be of danger to us, just our enviroment. i.e. what would happen to the oceans if Red Tide became more and more common, if it's cycles got closer and closer together... without the plankton in the waters oxygen generation rates would drop to cataclysmic levels... all the trees in the world aren't going to be of much use then... as it is we are polluting our seas willy nilly, if something were to awaken and speed up the process then we would be in serious deep doo doo...

Old 3rd December 2000, 08:57   #10
GramicciGirl

Global warming isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am from montana and I know that this winter has been one of the coldest in a long time. In november we set a record for snowfall.
As far as ebola goes, I personally think it is a very beautiful disease, in a macabre sense. You look at it under a electron microscope and they are strangely beautiful with their long strands and twisted loops. Even the totality of the way it destroys the human body is amazing. Especially the way the it propagates itself. It makes the person go into a grand mal type seizure while they are crashing. Anyone or thing close by will be splattered with blood and it starts all over again. I read the Hot Zone, and as wierd as it sounds, that is what made me go into microbiology. I can hardly imagine a job that would have more danger yet be intriguing at the same time. Who knows? Maybe someday I could help find a cure for it, they will probably have one by then though. BTW, ice, it lasts a little longer than 2 days. It usually starts out like the flu and then most die within 1 week, depending on the strain.
GramicciGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2000, 13:13   #11
Bilbo Baggins

Well, who cares if we all die anyway?

We are going to go sometime.

------------------
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
MP3 Resource Centre
Old 3rd December 2000, 13:32   #12
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Something for everyone It may not be
PC at all but........................

Gramiccigirl - Excellent book - I would have to agree- the ebola culture on the
bookjacket was kind of... beautiful in a
"as long as its contained" sort of way

Radioactive Man - the way I see it, AIDS is
Mother Nature/God/Gaia/the Tao/Whatever force you like's way of giving you your come uppin's for naughy behavior...

Mulefire - From what I have read they recently discovered a subterranian pool with
life in it untouched and pristine for eons...
under antarctica. That would lend some support to your theory ...

I have a serious problem with African Rainforests - leave the Amazon but LEVEL the african one... its a hothouse for virii... and put iron in the ocean and foster phyto plankton to recover and restore the Co2 consumption...

Xerxes
Old 3rd December 2000, 15:43   #13
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

As far as AIDS goes, I tend to agree with Chris Rock's take on *******eutical companies:
"Ain't no money in the cure, the money's in the medicine."
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2000, 06:35   #14
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radioactive Man:
I have no pity for AIDS victims. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about if your friend was raped and got AIDS then killed herself after a few years cause she couldn't live with herself? People fucking piss me off

------------------
Sex Kitten Extraordinaire

"Hell hath no fury like a kitten scorned"

[This message has been edited by SexyLoserKitten (edited December 03, 2000).]
SexyLoserKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2000, 07:13   #15
rm'
Banned

I suppose that would fall under my sympathy category. There are exceptions to (almost) every statement.
Old 4th December 2000, 12:25   #16
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Note to self:

Do not ever refer to people as categories
lest you be pimp-slapped by everyone in
that category for categorizing them.

Second note to self:

Demographic is a much better word

Xerxes
Old 5th December 2000, 04:29   #17
rm'
Banned

Good news! Researchers say it is feasible to eradicate the measles in one generation.

------------------
Hot digiddy!
Old 5th December 2000, 05:46   #18
ZelgadisThePunk

It may be mean of me to say this, but the ebola virus can be a good thing. I mean, the world is really overpopulated, especially in Asia, and we could use a good "thinning of the heards" you know? Well, anyway, death is bad, but overpopulation is to. So I guess everyone would have a different view on this.

------------------
Zel
ZelgadisThePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2000, 06:13   #19
rm'
Banned

Ebola: Eugenics at it's best!

------------------
Go me!
Old 6th December 2000, 02:19   #20
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZelgadisThePunk:
we could use a good "thinning of the heards" you know?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but wouldn't you agree this is kinda easy to say if your from a wealthy western country?

------------------
I want a helmet. I want a cheese helmet. A helmet full of cheese.
I wanna pop it onto my head and just eat all day.
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2000, 04:58   #21
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

yeah... bill gates and co get ebola, and 90% of the money in the world goes down the potty.

not like ebola wouldn't hurt in america... it'd make the average intelligence in the world go drastically up.

dont get me started on the french...
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2000, 05:05   #22
rm'
Banned

And what's so wrong with the French?

/me prays that Ebola will hit Canada, wiping out everyone except me who lives outside Quebec

------------------
Go me!
Old 6th December 2000, 09:23   #23
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Newsflash: Ebola Invades France - French Surrender"
Old 7th December 2000, 00:09   #24
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GramicciGirl:
Global warming isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am from montana and I know that this winter has been one of the coldest in a long time. In november we set a record for snowfall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. You're smart.
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2000, 02:22   #25
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZelgadisThePunk:
It may be mean of me to say this, but the ebola virus can be a good thing. I mean, the world is really overpopulated, especially in Asia, and we could use a good "thinning of the heards" you know?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DUDE! DO YOU HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!??!! You're talking about HUMAN BEINGS - not fucking cows!!!

Okay okay. Let's talk rationally.. Overpopulation is an issue (that's going to get a lot worse), but not anything new. To understand my upcoming point, you might need a little background.

The human race grows exponentially. We also are not completely controlled by our environment: the limiting factors that usually keep a species' population size in check, such as disease, dwindling food supply, and various environmental traits (like climate and temperature) don't affect us as much (and especially not as a whole population); therefore, we can keep growing, and nothing will stop us - to a point. Our intelligence plays a huge role in all this: we can do more than just hope that our natural defenses will figure it out, when it comes to disease; we don't depend on any one organism (or even just a handful) for food, and we can distribute food to areas of the population where the demand is greater and supply is lower; we can build things to protect us from our environment. This boils down to us being an extremely adaptable species, capable of outliving and overcoming all kinds of obstacles. So basically, barring some crazy, completely devastating world-wide disaster, the human population will continue to increase (and at an increasingly increased rate).

Keeping all this in mind, do you really think that letting one disease run rampant is going to make that much of a difference when it comes to population size? They'll just be replaced within years, and we'll continue our climb. Killing off people won't be the solution to our space problem; expanding our territory will. Naturally, we'll have to move to space and other planets in order to survive. But anyways...

So far I've just been looking at it from a logical, somewhat detached point of view. If none of that boats your float, just try to think of all those people as humans - other humans just like you. They might not have been lucky enough to grow up with basic necessities, or in a developed country with lots of resources (not to mention technology), and they might've been raised in and trained by a different culture, but they're the same as you.

If that still doesn't mean much to you, think of it like this: these people that you so casually refer to like animals are humans with souls.

Now before everyone gets all riled up...

Call it whatever you want, but you have to admit that there's a difference between animals and humans.

[This message has been edited by Flynnz (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 7th December 2000, 02:50   #26
monocle

A colony of sewer rats will breed and breed until their population gets so big that they begin to fight and kill each other. When the fighting and killing has reduced the colony to a more managable size, they "make love, not war" so to speak and begin again to breed and breed until their population gets so big that they begin to fight and kill each other. When the fighting and killing has reduced the colony to a more managable size, they "make love, not war" so to speak and begin again to breed and breed until their population gets so big that they begin to fight and kill each other. When the fighting and killing has reduced the colony to a more managable size, they "make love, not war" so to speak and begin again to breed and breed...

ok enough of that

Just because we think we are smart enough to stay one step ahead of nature by developing ways to pro-long our puny, insignificant lives, don't think that nature is not capable of developing new ways to stick right up our back sides!

Mother Nature can be quite the bitch!

------------------
Monocle
Hear great techno music by Monocle at http://www.mp3.com/monocle. CD now on sale!
monocle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2000, 02:55   #27
rm'
Banned

That's why I say nuke the planet.

"Take that, Mr. Squirrel!"
"Take this banana and shove it, Mr. Monkey!"
"How'd do like them apples, Mr. Tree!"

------------------
Go me!
Old 7th December 2000, 03:08   #28
Flynnz
Major Dude

I take a more positive outlook on the future. I also think we're a tad bit better than rats - we have more than just our animal impulses when it comes to situations like that; we can think.. we can use reason.
Old 7th December 2000, 06:23   #29
Mulefire

Yes we can reason that conventional weapons aren't bad enough so we need nukes... way to go reason....

Humans are just rats with a pretense to divinity.

Mule.
Old 7th December 2000, 19:44   #30
monocle

Here is a little theory I like to spout.

Back in the days when wind powered ocean vessals were the mode of transport, the sailors/explorers would drop sheep and other "food sources" off on various islands they encountered. The sheep and such would live and breed and do what wild animals do when left unattended. In case of an unfortunate sea-going accident, the seaman would likely be able to get to an island were the sheep and other animals were living and have a food source.

Now, stay with here...we are going galactic...

Suppose that many eons ago, space-going vessals were exploring the solar systems and dropped off "food sources" (including humans) on various planets they encountered. These food sources were left unattended for many, many years where they were able to evolve and adapt to the planet. In the event of an space accident, the "explorers" would have a food source.

In conclusion, we may think we are the shit around here, but just wait until its harvest time.

------------------
Monocle
Hear great techno music by Monocle at http://www.mp3.com/monocle. CD now on sale!
Old 7th December 2000, 21:31   #31
Flynnz
Major Dude

Mule:

I disagree. (I'm not going to try to convince you though - I doubt it would do anything anyway.)

monocle:

One of the problems I have with that is the point I was trying to make - that humans are not the same as animals. Besides that, there are a couple other problems with your "theory". Any civillization that is advanced enough to posses the technology for intergalactic space travel isn't going to waste their time going around planting different species on planets in the unlikely event that someone will get lost there some day many millenia later. It makes no sense. If they've got that kind of technology, more than likely, shipwrecked crews would have no trouble contacting help (assuming they could even have an "accident"). (This is all assuming they still: eat meat, and don't have technology that can generate food for them.) Lastly, don't even get my started on how what you said fucks with what we already know of the evolutionary history of our planet.

[This message has been edited by Flynnz (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old 7th December 2000, 22:42   #32
monocle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flynnz:
Any civillization that is advanced enough to posses the technology for intergalactic space travel isn't going to waste their time going around planting different species on planets in the unlikely event that someone will get lost there some day many millenia later. It makes no sense. If they've got that kind of technology, more than likely, shipwrecked crews would have no trouble contacting help (assuming they could even have an "accident"). (This is all assuming they still: eat meat, and don't have technology that can generate food for them.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh and technology never fails? We've had the technology for space travel for like 4 decades. How many mishaps have we had? Enough! I seem to recall a certain Apollo 13 mission when contct was lost for a while. I seem to recall some accident involving a ship that was "unsinkable". We are not that far from getting the Space Station online, but I don't think we'll be replaceing our Microwaves with food replicators any time soon. Everyone assumes that if a being has the technology to do one thing then it should have the technology to do everything. Do you think they turned to the Wright Bro.s after that first flight and said, "what's next? You gonna replicate food?"

The truth is we don't know shit about whats out there. We would have to be the most closed-minded, self-involved, jackholes to think that we are supreme and claim to have it all figured out. This is why we form theories and make assumptions.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>don't even get my started on how what you said fucks with what we already know of the evolutionary history of our planet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

depending on what theory of evolution or creation or what ever you believe in, something had to start it. Perhaps the "explorers" ate nothing but little 1 and 2 celled things. Well look what can happen when you turn your back for a few hundred thousand years.

just my $0.02 worth

BTW... I don't want to come across as ripping on your believes or ideas. Just want to listen to them and then express mine.

------------------
Monocle
Old 7th December 2000, 23:58   #33
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flynnz:
You're talking about HUMAN BEINGS - not fucking cows!!!&lt;---[....]---&gt;you have to admit that there's a difference between animals and humans.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey!
Cows are people too you know!

------------------
Old 8th December 2000, 00:02   #34
ampburner
Forum King

Oh and how about llamas?

------------------
Old 8th December 2000, 05:32   #35
rm'
Banned

Ooooh! Intellectual discourse

I like to go with the view that humans are really just very smart animals, because it allows me to justify the destruction of the environment, and other animal species. All animals, no matter how simple or complex, have some negative effect on their environment. Amoebas increase acidity, cows cause soil erosion, wolves eat cows, so on and so forth. We are merely doing what we naturally do. Our means may be different, but our end is essentially the same: to ensure the survival of our own particular species.

On to overpopulation. Like ALL animals, we are prone to overpopulation. However, nature has a system of checks and balances in place to make an upper limit. But... we still don't know what our own particular upper limit is, because unlike other animals, we are extremely adaptible, and are able to eat whatever lands on our plate. Therefore, we are able to consume all availible resources, so our upper limit is really high. However, using Malthus' theorem of sustainable resources (population increases geometrically, while food increases arithmetically), we can at least be sure that there IS an upper limit. But, since we aer just another animal, it's okay to use the resources we have. After all, you can't tell a wolf to stop eating cows so that cows won't go extinct, so how can you tell a human the same thing?

------------------
Go me!
Old 8th December 2000, 08:21   #36
GramicciGirl

Wow. You're smart.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you being a smart ass or are you being serious? I don't appreciate being patronized.
GramicciGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2000, 09:45   #37
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radioactive Man:
But, since we aer just another animal, it's okay to use the resources we have.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly- resources do exist to be consumed.
The only real "trick" is to continually discover new resources to accomodate new growth be it by exploration, science... etc.

Xerxes

Old 9th December 2000, 05:26   #38
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

You're talking about HUMAN BEINGS - not fucking cows!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then why is it legal to fuck most humaans and not cows?

------------------
We may have lost this one, but there are others...

VOTE RALPH NADER 2004!!!!

Then e-mail me at flatmatt@mediaone.net
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2000, 13:04   #39
Bilbo Baggins

Have you ever tried to have nasal sex with a cow?
I can tell you, it is bloody difficult.

------------------
MP3 Resource Centre
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist