Old 10th September 2014, 16:33   #1
iTRocks

Please help with the latest SHOUTcast configuration

Hi, I have been reading up on setting up SHOUTcast and Winamp for streaming purposes
but I have a problem with the download link for DNAS.

Its giving me a file not found error. Where can I get the latest DNAS
and am suspecting the steps I followed is dated two years back,
and might be out of date since newer versions of Winamp is out (newer versions of
SHOUTcast too MIGHT be out, am not sure),
hence can you advice on the latest configuration for streaming please.
Thank you.

This is the link that I got but unfortunately, its not accessible.
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/license.phtml
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	245m0yp.png
Views:	162
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	51389  
iTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 16:41   #2
DrO

that is a link which hasn't existed formally since 2009 (and probably earlier) so i'd probably not even consider using a guide which provides such links.

SHOUTcast downloads are at http://www.shoutcast.com/broadcast-tools (easily noted on shoutcast.com as well as being the first result on google for 'shoutcast download') or http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324877 (sticky thread in the SHOUTcast section of this forum) and then there's the sticky discussion threads in the SHOUTcast discussion sub-forum.

and i've now moved your thread in to the correct part of the forum as Winamp Tech Support is not the right place.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 16:50   #3
iTRocks

Ok,
Thank you very much.
Old 10th September 2014, 17:35   #4
iTRocks

In the process of installation and set up, the file installed successfully on my PC
and I opened up the setup(which is a BAT file )from the installation directory. After keying in
my passwords for source and admin, saved all and it echoed successfully saved but when I
clicked on "run server", I got an error that the page is not available.

Please what am I doing wrong and/or can you give a link to where any of these issues has
been discussed in this forum please? Thanks again.
Old 10th September 2014, 17:45   #5
DrO

without knowing what you input during setup i don't know why you're seeing such an issue. maybe you changed to a different port from 8000 and something happened with the loading of the page in relation to that (that's the best i can think off currently from what you've said).

also was the DNAS program still running at the time or not ? and have you tried just running the DNAS and allowing it to use the config file (which should have saved as sc_serv.conf or sc_serv.ini in the same folder as the sc_serv program file).
Old 10th September 2014, 17:56   #6
iTRocks

I did not see any file like the sc_serv.ini file at the installation directory. Kindly find attached
what files are in the directory and a summary of the entered settings for the setup, no
worries, this is a demo, I will certainly change the passwords after understanding how the
setup works. Thanks again.

Old 10th September 2014, 18:08   #7
DrO

it didn't save the config file correctly from what i can tell from those really tiny images - as i cannot see any config file.

i assume that's Windows 7 or something like that and you've got UAC enabled ? if so, move the whole of that folder to a different location outside of the Program Files folder where you don't need to have UAC elevation to be able to edit files e.g. C:\SHOUTcast or something like that.

then try again. if it still doesn't work correctly, there should be a sc_serv.log file saved into the %temp% folder if you're not able to get a view of the DNAS's console output.

also there might be some sc_serv_x.log files in the %temp% folder (where x is a number) which might be handy to attach in a zip file to this post so i can see what has happened with earlier setup runs.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:18   #8
iTRocks

Thanks so much again. The UAC Elevation was the issue. The server is running fine now.
Let me finish up the other part of the setup.

Thanks again.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:24   #9
DrO

rightio, looks like i need to review the behaviour when UAC is enabled again as there should have been a warning message on the pages seen to indicate it hadn't been able to save the file.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:32   #10
iTRocks

There was no warning message about saving the file, but I did get a message during
installation that the installation directory does seem to be write protected. I just funnily
ignored and continued with the installation.

Just the last part please. The stream is working as its supposed to now, however, what will
be the public address where the streamed content can be listened to by my audience? And
when they click on the link to listen up, does it play with Winamp, windows media player or
any other player on their PC or it plays from the internet or none of the above as listeners
can only choose and listen from the Winamp radio stations within the application?
Thank you.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:39   #11
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTRocks View Post
what will be the public address where the streamed content can be listened to by my audience?
if set to private then it'll be whatever the external address of the machine being used is on. if set to be public, then it's like the private mode but if you go to the stream admin page, but you can also click on the station name to be taken to the directory search result which should then show your station.

additionally on the that page and the server admin page (admin.cgi?sid=0), there will be a 'directory id' link which is the tune-in playlist for the stream. you can change the extension to m3u or xspf on the link to have something that will work with Windows Media Player (it only accepts the m3u link) or other players that don't support the PLS format.

either way, inside of that playlist (which is just a text file) is the direct url of the stream if you need to use that in Flash / HTML5 audio players, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTRocks View Post
when they click on the link to listen up, does it play with Winamp, windows media player or any other player on their PC or it plays from the internet or none of the above as listeners can only choose and listen from the Winamp radio stations within the application?
it depends what is trying to access it, what is set as the default player and another other number of factors. you don't just have to use Winamp to play SHOUTcast streams if that's what you're worried about.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:48   #12
iTRocks

Am completely settled and cleared now. So far so good, SHOUTcast is really a cool broadcasting application. Thanks again, God bless.
Old 11th September 2014, 17:38   #13
iTRocks

Please I am having port forwarding problems. Can you link me up with anyone with similar issue and has been settled step by step or can you give me the steps to take?

My router is a bit uncommon and its not on the list that was given in one of the threads I
stumbled on earlier. Kindly find a screen shoot attached of the needed parameters to
configure port forwarding. Any help I can get with this will be highly appreciated. Meaning like
what are the parameters to be entered into the fields in the screenshot.

I can stream from one Winamp application and receive/play it in another instance of Winamp
within the same network. However, I can''t access my stream outside my Local area network. Thanks.

The settings for the DNAS can be assumed to still be the same as mentioned in the screenshot in the thread number 6 above. Thank you.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support