Old 29th November 2011, 17:52   #3241
rockouthippie
Banned

What are you cooling with that? 1050 watts. I think it's amazing we didn't exactly get green with our computers. My 1055T chip will pull every bit of 200 watts at 3.8 Ghz. I'm sure this chip would go past 4Ghz with water cooling. The two video cards are 120 watts a piece. Get that power meter spinning. I don't need to heat my office that's for sure.

Every fan hole in this case has a fan. It's noisier than hell. I put in a switch to kill most of the fans. Running at 2 Ghz, the machine is still quick and the motherboard controlled fan barely runs. I have a 750 watt coolermaster which seems to be ok so far.

Unless I am encoding video or playing a video game, I don't rev this thing up to full blast or past that... and probably only pull a couple hundred watts instead of 600, which is what my wattmeter said when I ran a burn in benchmark. I will melt if I don't keep the heat sinks clean.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:36   #3242
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
it's an old first generation i7 920, notoriously warm processor.

once the thermal paste is set up nicely and it's cooling at peak then i'll start thinking about overclocking.

the video card alone won't do a damn thing except look at me like "what the hell was that? you think you're funny?" for less than 500-600 watts all to itself, i'm kind of wondering if adding all those extra ram modules might have been what made the old power supply decide to give up the ghost.

then again, if you do only need 200w or so, supposedly this power supply can output that much completely fanless, then again, i don't know of a single computer that only uses 200w honestly and i doubt there are many to be found from this millenium.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2118998

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:59   #3243
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Finally took the plunge and upgraded from just having my TV and piece 'o crap old DVD player:

TV: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889005260

Receiver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120177

Fronts: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780079

Center: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780085

Rears: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780083

Sub: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780078

Blu-Ray: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G8HXXO

Remote: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5U5AC

Plus a bunch of cables, connectors, speaker wire, etc. I also picked up a Roku player. I'm not sure whether that was a good idea or not, but it was pretty cheap and seemed cool (famous last words).

I got everything all setup last night and. . . HDMI cable too short! I hooked up my old tv again until I get a longer one. Everything sounds fantastic, though! I had to redo a couple of speaker terminations (looks like I didn't make good enough terminations on the banana plugs the first time around).

I'm happy with the picture on the TV (I think), but I've not adjusted the settings at all yet, so I'm looking forward to see what it looks like when I get it configured correctly. I also haven't even thought about programming the remote yet.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:51   #3244
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*Envy*
Old 8th December 2011, 01:41   #3245
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Everything looks like it'll create a beautiful home theater. Post pics if you get a chance! Just be careful; your amplifier's surround outputs will dish out more than twice the power necessary to barbecue those surround speakers. So if you "crank it up", just run your fronts and disable the surrounds.

[amp gives 100W RMS per surround speaker, each surround speaker handles up to 40W RMS]

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:47   #3246
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I also picked up a Roku player.
You'll like that. Watch my channel.

https://owner.roku.com/add/retrovision

The $8 a month for Netflix and Hulu Plus is a good deal. I switch em' back and forth because.... no contract for either service... Amazon prime is a little weak, but I think they'll be in the picture too. A lot of it is HD if you have the bandwidth. E-ordering HD videos from Amazon works really good too, and you didn't have to find the DVD case. Crackle has a channel and it's free.

I still don't have a BD player and the Netflix box pretty much makes sure I don't need one.

Getting a Roku box is really a no-brainer My DVD player seems a little lonely.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:54   #3247
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I still don't have a BD player
Those that do (at least the ones I know) rarely use theirs. I think removable (especially ROM) media is becoming obsolete. I really like the idea of just using hard drives. You type a search term and double click the correct result. Like you said, no cases, but also, no scratches, no losing them, less waste, less physical storage room, and often, less bloat such as extra features, previews, and advertisements.

Old 9th December 2011, 03:01   #3248
rockouthippie
Banned

I was making sort of the same comment about books.

For physical media video to go completely away, I think the internet will need to get a little cheaper and more available. A lot of places still don't have internet fast enough to take full advantage of Netflix etc.
Old 9th December 2011, 03:10   #3249
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

With books, I see your point, but for some reason my personal taste just prefers text on paper over a screen, but for something that's always been on a screen, I don't mind losing the removable media once it's on the HDD. Broadband does suck once you're out of metropolitan areas. It would take a long time to download a full length HD movie on most broadband connections.

Old 9th December 2011, 04:17   #3250
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I'll take a picture or two of things once it's totally setup. I just kind of threw everything together for the time being - didn't really hide or coil wires, etc.

Is the current that goes through speaker wire high enough voltage that it shouldn't be bundled with other cables?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 9th December 2011, 07:04   #3251
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Skyrim, GTA IV, Uncharted 1 & 2.

All used, gotta love used game outlets.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 9th December 2011, 09:14   #3252
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Aside from a bunch of anime on DVD and blu-ray that was on sale, just (literally) ordered these:

Choate Dragunov stock for my Ruger 10/22:

Leapers UTG Tactical OP1 bipod:

Will take before and after pictures when I get them in and set up.

Old 9th December 2011, 10:45   #3253
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Gogitta, have you had a chance to test those 25rd Ruger mags yet? I just picked one up for my 10/22 a few days ago and have not had chance to take it to the range yet. I'm hoping it holds up better and feeds more reliably than the cheapo plastic feedlipped aftermarket mags.

ETA: Not to digress from the thread topic, my most recent purchase was 1,000 rounds of 9mm ball ammo.

Old 9th December 2011, 12:14   #3254
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
I haven't gotten to take it to the range yet, but I'm hoping to go near the end of this month with a friend of mine (we have the same rifle and same ammo, he has a different stock and setup). I had no issues loading the magazine with my auto loader, and the rounds remove easily, and I have no issues inserting and removing it from the rifle.

[edit] none of those photos are mine. I just google image searched for the two parts I bought to show them. I'll take a pic of everything once they get in. [/edit]

Old 9th December 2011, 12:17   #3255
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
You'll like that. Watch my channel.

https://owner.roku.com/add/retrovision

The $8 a month for Netflix and Hulu Plus is a good deal. I switch em' back and forth because.... no contract for either service... Amazon prime is a little weak, but I think they'll be in the picture too. A lot of it is HD if you have the bandwidth. E-ordering HD videos from Amazon works really good too, and you didn't have to find the DVD case. Crackle has a channel and it's free.

I still don't have a BD player and the Netflix box pretty much makes sure I don't need one.

Getting a Roku box is really a no-brainer My DVD player seems a little lonely.
I like the Roku so far, but while playing Pandora it seems to skip whenever I press a button. I also don't like how freaking long it takes the screensasver to kick in (I'm paranoid because I bought a plasma TV).

Is there a good way to play my mp3 collection through it, through an SMB share or something? I can't use any kind of official app or anything since I'm rarely booted into windows.

Old 9th December 2011, 21:08   #3256
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
feeds more reliably than the cheapo plastic feedlipped aftermarket mags.
The stock mag never misfires. The only aftermarket mag that is worth a shit is the Butler Creek "hot lips" 25 round magazine. Just make sure you have the mag fully inserted. It'll fire loose and damage the mag. The only thing I use on my 10-22 is Remlon dri-lube and a little grease on the op rod. I mean a very little grease. Oil and grease in a 10-22 will just cake the spent powder.... especially a problem if you shoot shitty ammo.... it'll start jamming. 10-22 is a good little rifle. It will start to shoot a little wide... after 30 or 40,000 rounds. If you use dri-lube you should be able to shoot a whole brick without it starting to jam. Otherwise 200 rounds or so?

I actually did wear one of these out. It took 25 years. It still fires. It just tosses a foot wide group at 100 yards. I couldn't guess how many bricks of ammo did that, but it was a lot. It's not the most accurate 22 I ever shot. That would be an old 9 groove Winchester bolt. You should still be able to detonate prairie dogs at a hundred yards with "one shot one kill" accuracy.

Quote:
I'm paranoid because I bought a plasma TV
You don't need to be that paranoid. Newer plasma sets have their own "screensaver" in that if nothing on the screen moves for a few minutes, they'll go dim.

I have forgotten and left a windows desktop up for a couple days. No visible burn.

It's not a completely irrelevant problem, but I think most of the sets they've made for the last five years..... you'd have to almost go out of your way to damage the screen.

Two days with a Windows desktop didn't leave a mark on mine. If I was Rockefeller, I'd probably buy one of the best LCD TV's I could find, but to get as nice a picture is double or triple money in LCD.
Old 10th December 2011, 05:04   #3257
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

About bundling wires:

I've been doing it for years with all kinds of wires, including speaker wires. The sound quality stayed high and safe at all volume levels, even if the wires were taped, zip-tied or velcro tied, or even staple-gunned together. At DJ jobs, I tie them together and then tape to the floor or wall corner or under a throw rug all the time to prevent them from getting where people can trip over them. Even at those kinds of high volumes, still no problem as far as I can tell.

About the only thing to worry about is optical audio cable if you use it (which is signal cable e.g. from computer or dvd player to receiver, and not speaker wire). Don't let it go around sharp turns, don't tie it tight against anything (a loose velcro tie is probably still ok, just don't compress it at all), and don't let it get any kinks, as that would make a very noticeable problem.

I can't wait to see this home theater of yours. You certainly shopped for quality stuff when you bought it.

As far as the 10-.22 goes, the cheap plastic magazine has been fine for me, even with heavy use back in the day. This old thing is what I get out when I feel like shooting a lot without spending almost any money.

Old 10th December 2011, 06:55   #3258
rockouthippie
Banned

I think it's more than money. It's nice just to do a little plinking with something not so noisy that doesn't spray you will burned powder. Fire a couple boxes through my AR or mini 14 and you'll need to wash your face.

I am wicked with a shotgun and I used to use a Rem 10 gauge autoloader. My shoulder convinced me I should use something lighter. Switched to a 20 gauge Fiocchi trap gun. It blows away skeets just as well and doesn't give me a bruise. The Rem still is clipped to the back of the closet door for close encounters of the scumbag kind. It seems a little silly really. You could probably collapse a house with some properly placed shots.

What was really amazing was my grandpa. I am a good shot with a scattergun. Grandpa got dragged by a tractor and tore his shoulder up bad. He still wanted to shoot and taught himself to shoot from the hip. Old dude could shoot triples from the hip, better than I can shoot them from the shoulder, and I rarely miss.

Quote:
it's an old first generation i7 920, notoriously warm processor
Compare to AMD chips, it's a reefer. I can't argue with the brute force. You probably can't either. Let me know how water cooled works. There has been some experimentation using thermo dielectric heat sinks. I do have the tendency to overload anything I own

My current machine is faster than any other consumer machine I ever saw in threaded apps. It's still too slow.

I bought AMD because it's bang for the buck... compare to i7 970 at $1000 when I made the machine. $200 bucks for the 1055T, even though it draws twice the power was a no brainer.

Intel and AMD seem to do a leap frog thing. It seems like every time I want to build a new machine, AMD is on top for bang for budget.

My video is a little weak. I'm running two nvidia 9800GT's SLI. It plays anything, but I can see this machine might use a different solution (and a colder cpu) before it retires.

This chip is nominal 2.8 Ghz, but I've been running it at 3.5 Ghz for more than a year without incident. That is, it will run 100% CPU for days without a wimper.

6 cores encodes video fast. I encode a lot of video.

Intel seems to exaggerate the thermal characteristics of their CPUs, where AMD underestimates. In actuality, Intel makes better chips at 5 times the money.

For $1200 bucks spent 2 years ago.... this thing is a beast. 4 Toshiba 1 GB drives dueling Raid 0. 1666 Mhz Dram..... it's awesome and on a budget.

It even sounds like a brute.

Water should be really good. I'm sure if I did that, I'd benefit. I am not sure that it's good bang for the buck though. If you buy a Phenom X6 today.. it's a lot cooler....

One thing Intel chips have going for them too. The power management is WAY better.

I'm not sure over the lifetime of this machine that I won't pay the extra $800 for the i7-970 in my power bill.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 10th December 2011 at 09:51.
Old 11th December 2011, 02:13   #3259
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah, i'm going to have to switch the direction of the radiator fan though, accidentally screwed it on as an exhaust and from what i'm told it's night and day difference, you only really want it on intake.

it'll probably happen in the next few days honestly.

if i can't push it to at least 3.0GHZ i'm going to be pissed off though.

Old 11th December 2011, 05:51   #3260
rockouthippie
Banned

I would think you should be able to do 3Ghz pretty easy. Probably even a little better. You better get that fan turned around though. That's probably almost as bad as not having a cooler at all.

I think once you hit 3.2 or 3.3 you might start having problems clocking the memory, or you might have to use voltage levels on the DRAM which probably wouldn't be healthy.

Then there is the chip itself. Even chips out of the same die can have different capacity for an overclock. Just about anything I've ever tried could get a 20% overclock with good air cooling. Water should keep you very cool.

That's 2600 Mhz I think. A 20% overclock is 3.1 Ghz. I would be surprised if you couldn't at least do that. I'm getting 3.5 Ghz on air from 2.8. I can actually go to 4Ghz, but if you run the CPU at 100% it'll get too hot in about 5 minutes. I think some water on this chip would probably make 4Ghz viable. I'm using 1666 Mhz memory. That does matter.

When you set your multipliers you should know that overclocking the memory doesn't buy you much speed. It would probably be better to slightly underclock the memory, rather than overclock it. You're just making heat. When you set those multipliers, you'll usually get a choice that's a little underclocked and a choice that is way overclocked. Do the former.

Keep the cooler clean. You can handle a little dust at stock clocks, but dust is not your friend overclocked. Some clip on heat sinks for the memory probably isn't a bad idea either. Usually overclocking won't hurt the CPU, but the added heat can be really hard on the motherboard.
Old 11th December 2011, 14:38   #3261
fc*uk

for my wife... she wanted one.
Old 11th December 2011, 16:29   #3262
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I have no desire to measure how little sleep I get

Old 11th December 2011, 18:45   #3263
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post

for my wife... she wanted one.
so what the hell is it?
i mean, it's going to bed with you, so it's either a sex toy or the remote and it's got a hole but i doubt it's large enough for you and that kinda rules out her...

Old 11th December 2011, 18:56   #3264
fc*uk

lol.

fitbit --- also used to track exercise, which is why my wife wanted one.
Old 12th December 2011, 00:24   #3265
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

so i just flipped the fans for the radiator around so it's correctly an intake fan instead of an exhaust now, putting it through a few tests with intel burn test and i'm not sure because i didn't take notes of temperatures from before, but i think i'm seeing 72 where i'd see 75 or higher before as the hottest it's gotten in core temp.

i also sent away for one of these online to replace the warpad that i actually like but turned out too disposable.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Qc.../dp/B000UYCRQ6

and... wow, just looked and amazon really wants to rape you on the price for those apparently, i'm not sure what the place i ordered it from was but it came to $24 including shipping, so definitely don't get taken in by that price.

Old 12th December 2011, 15:36   #3266
wah1979

My new iPhone
Old 14th December 2011, 16:38   #3267
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

Sennheiser wireless headphone.

i always forget that i'm attached to a cable and simply walk away from the computer.
now i can do it without getting hit in the face by the headphone

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 14th December 2011, 17:14   #3268
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
lol.

fitbit --- also used to track exercise, which is why my wife wanted one.
It tracks your sleep? Odd.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 14th December 2011, 23:22   #3269
fc*uk

Yeah. I thought so too.

I think it's something along monitoring your tossing and turning and equating that to "good sleep patterns".

Personally, I think that aspect of it is voodoo science.
Old 15th December 2011, 01:04   #3270
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Sounds like some bad mojo.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 15th December 2011, 11:09   #3271
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
Sounds like some bad mojo.
and right here is where the realization that to a webpage, you're just a data point with a dollar bill sign attached happens.

Old 15th December 2011, 11:12   #3272
rockouthippie
Banned

I dunno about these exercise monitors. You know whether you exercised or not. You know whether you slept well or not.

An expensive device to tell you what you already knew? Most of the "give" that makes us too fat is only a matter of a couple hundred extra calories a day.

Mild exercise takes off about your own weight in calories in 15 minutes. That is... walking a 15 minute mile burns about your own weight in calories. A 200lb man walking a mile takes about 200 calories. A 100lb person... 100 calories... give or take a little.

You can see if you hoofed it a couple miles a day, most of us wouldn't get fat. It doesn't need a computer. You probably don't even need to take your shoes off to do the math.
Old 15th December 2011, 20:42   #3273
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well... apparently i learned my lesson about buying from sears.com, package just showed up, no one else ordered it, same tracking number and it's something for some gaming keyboard steelseries makes apparently, don't know, don't care, don't own one.

Old 16th December 2011, 04:36   #3274
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
well... apparently i learned my lesson about buying from sears.com, package just showed up, no one else ordered it, same tracking number and it's something for some gaming keyboard steelseries makes apparently, don't know, don't care, don't own one.
Finders keepers is a great rule.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 16th December 2011, 04:58   #3275
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
Finders keepers is a great rule.
yeah except i'm getting my money back and returning it instead of keeping something i have no use for.

Old 21st December 2011, 05:23   #3276
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

http://ark.intel.com/products/37151?wapkw=i7%20960

intel i7 960, the replace the old, first revision i7 920 i had, this thing is fucking awesome, highest i've been able to push any core testing is 63c compared to 80c and +

Old 22nd December 2011, 00:01   #3277
rockouthippie
Banned

http://iguanamicro.com/asvs23wilcdm.html

I bought two of these. 4 feet of monitor.... cool... LED is so nice on the eyes. I highly recommend this monitor. I think I'd recommend it if it cost $100 more. I almost want one more for my bedroom TV.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:53   #3278
fc*uk

Quote:
I dunno about these exercise monitors. You know whether you exercised or not. You know whether you slept well or not.

An expensive device to tell you what you already knew?
Agreed. However, for some it is an expensive device that gives that extra little bit of motivation that the individual is lacking to get started and/or the extra bit of motivation to keep it up. That second part is where my wife and I generally fail.

Sure, we will be good about something for a few months, then it starts to fade ...
Old 30th December 2011, 13:53   #3279
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

A bit more than $170 of groceries at Krogers this morning. But the Kroger Plus card (I use a phone number for a soon-to-be-obvious reason) I use gives me an employee discount on top of the normal 10%. With just that, I saved $24.59. Then the guy asked if I wanted 20% off. WUT? Well, of COURSE I want 20% off. That saved me another $28.95, giving me a total of $58.54 off my entire purchase, making my final bill $118.52.

So I'm a happy camper.

Old 4th January 2012, 03:14   #3280
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I helped my mom buy a new computer. She gave me a budget that I didn't think was quite enough, so I took care of the rest of the cost. It'll mostly be used for financial and document stuff, but she does have a few games and also transcodes video for placement on youtube. I'll also be glad to do 1080P video chat with my parents, especially if they show me something/someone that I need to look at and/or fix. I live a 6.5 hour drive from them, so this will help a lot. The speakers, printer, and mousepad are from the old computer.

For those of you who like specs, here's a copy-paste of the purchase details:

Software & Accessories
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MICROSOFT SOLUTIONS: Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010
SUPPORT: 3 Year Total Support
PEACE OF MIND: DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year (free, probably won't use it)
MONITOR: Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only
MEMORY: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs
MCAFEE SECURITYCENTER: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months (probably will use AVG or Avast!)
SYSTEM COLOR: Black Bezel
OPTICAL DRIVE16X DVD+/-RW Drive

My Accessories

KEYBOARD: Dell USB Entry Keyboard
MOUSE: Dell USB Optical Mouse
OS RECOVERY MEDIA: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium OS, 64bit, English, Recovery DVD (cost $15, but I figured I may need it some day)
DESKTOP ESSENTIALS: C615 HD Webcam
IDENTITY THEFT PROTECTION: Trusted ID,IDSafe, 12 Month Subscription, Digital Delivery This software will be delivered from the internet. (free, probably won't use)

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

Adobe SoftwareAdobe® Acrobat® Reader
TV TUNERS: No TV Tuner Requested
MEDIA READER: Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader
Network Card: Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
SOUND CARD: Integrated 5.1
WIRELESS: Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN mini-Card
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)
Inspiron 620 Minitower w/ Black Bezel
HARD DRIVE: 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ (I'll probably have to add a drive)
VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3

Here's what happened to the old one:

My video description I put on the youtube page:

I finally convinced my mom to let me build her a new computer, but we had to come up with a way of finding "closure" when letting go of the old one. I used a 1952 Ford 8N tractor and she used a 10 pound sledgehammer (her first ever time swinging a sledge, at 72 years old). The old computer was:

Gateway
Pentium III 600 MHz Processor
128MB RAM initially, upgraded to 512, the most the motherboard could handle
10GB HDD initially, it died, so it was replaced with a 15, then later upgraded with an 80, the most the motherboard could handle.
It had a ball mouse and only two USB 1.1 ports, on the back of the tower.
The 15" CRT monitor was even messed up (wouldn't hold color long before going all red and green).

There really wasn't anything of value on it, so parting it out wasn't much of a worthwhile thing, but at least the case's steel can be sent to the scrapyard for recycling.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions