Old 15th May 2008, 07:03   #1
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Wow... Just wow...

So, I make a joke about killing someone, with my friends and a teacher over hears this. Now I'm under intense watch and have to see a counselor every three days.

The counselor has made no progress apparently in changing my evil ways. And this apparently "worries" them. How in the fuck can I get this shit to stop.

Everyone knows I was joking, and everyone knows what I'm like. But I'm also a quiet person, I don't say something unless I feel its important. This makes no sense at all.

Other teachers are fighting in my case to say that I don't mean any of it but thats not going to stop it. I just had the bad luck of being heard by a new "student" teacher who does not know how to understand sarcasm. So she reported me to the police.

Now I'm stuck to go to this crap or I'll get arrested or some shit like that. Can't a guy make a joke about killing someone in peace anymore?

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:05   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

God bless America!
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:05   #3
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
I dare not say that this joke was from a site I saw on the INTERWEBS. Or it would probably end up in some type of "Ban the internets" thing.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 15th May 2008, 07:11   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Still half asleep here
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:19   #5
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

If you want to stop the councilling thing you could just actually kill someone. I think it'd stop then.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:26   #6
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

"Wow" indeed. It's going to suck, but, you'll have to go with the program. At least they gave you the option of consuling instead of a "go direct to jail".
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:33   #7
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
I have no idea what the legal system in Canada is like, so I can't help you.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:53   #8
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 12:46   #9
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Claim that your just confused because your still exploring your sexuality.

At least they will stop worrying about you killing people...

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 13:11   #10
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Give them an ultimatum: You'll either quit school, or they'll take you off the counseling crap. Put the future of your education in their hands. Should be a simple decision for them in that case.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 13:35   #11
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Just don't go? It's not a crime to make a joke or think about killing someone and it's only a threat if you actually said it to the individual. I would hope that the police have the brains to know a joke when they hear it.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 19:24   #12
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4 Gogitta
Give them an ultimatum: You'll either quit school, or they'll take you off the counseling crap. Put the future of your education in their hands. Should be a simple decision for them in that case.

They would say go ahead and leave school, and then probably send a cop on my ass to make sure I went to the sessions.

I know this stuff probably is not legal but I don't think I'm in any position to talk to a lawyer. No cash, no bash.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 15th May 2008, 20:16   #13
mikm
Major Dude

Until you can get out of it, just have some fun and dick with the counselor.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 20:29   #14
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Oh I have been, but its annoying when I have to miss work because of it.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 16th May 2008, 04:19   #15
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

There are many considerations here. At this point, I would advise you to take the path of minimal resistance.

Under Canadian law, uttering a threat constitutes assault, which is a serious crime.

On the other hand, you have a right to freedom of expression under the Canadian constitutional law.

In my estimation a judge would not consider your comment a threat, especially if the other listeners interpreted it as a joke. Your age will be of particular relevance here (a death threat from a 50 year old is much more credible than one from a 14 year old).

Your options for refusing counseling may be limited because of your age (I'm assuming you're a minor). You may need to retain a lawyer. And you definitely should discuss the matter with your parents, because you may need their help if you choose to challenge the counseling.

Has your counseling been assigned by the police or by your school? Have you spoken to the police yourself? If so, what did they tell you?

You should also consider that your school may choose to add additional penalties if you decide to drop the counseling. Your freedom of speech can generally be limited by a school, and they may expel you if they think you went too far.

It may also be a good idea to be up front with your counselor. If you calmly explain to him that you were making a comment among friends that was not intended to be serious, and you're willing to apologise to the teacher who overheard your conversation and the one who was the "target" of your comment, he/she might change their mind.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 04:58   #16
Vil

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence, moving from topic to topic, so that no one had the chance to interrupt him.
But really quite hypnotic.

Incredibly unbroken sentence,
Moving from topic to topic,
Moving from topic to topic.

Quite hypnotic.

Quite hypnotic.

Quite hypnotic.

notic-notic-notic-notic

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 05:16   #17
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen square?
Was Fashion the reason why they were there?

They disguise it, Hypnotize it
Television made you buy it

I'm just sitting in my car and waiting for my...

She's scared that I will take her away from there
Her dreams that her country left with no one there

Mezmerize the simple minded
Propaganda leaves us blinded

I'm just sitting in my car and waiting for my girl

I'm just sitting in my car and waiting for my

Girl
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 08:57   #18
TheElusiveMelon

Where did the world go wrong...
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 11:04   #19
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
more like when did the world go wrong :P since it went wrong pretty much globally

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:37   #20
PaperClip

Send a message via Yahoo to PaperClip
Those statements were taken very seriously at my school too. It's not really something you ever want to say. I would suggest doing as they ask. Sometimes you need to choose the path of lease resistance.
PaperClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:39   #21
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
I guess they dont want you do go all Columbine on them!

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 20:05   #22
Vil

School systems are generally retarded. When you graduate you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Нас к торжеству коммунизма ведёт!

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 19:38   #23
PaperClip

Send a message via Yahoo to PaperClip
Agreed. Oh, and they lied about one other thing: grades don't always matter.
PaperClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 20:07   #24
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Nobody seemed to care at my high school, even when I showed my chem teacher a big three ring binder I had, full of notations on how to build nuclear bombs. It was just a fascination of mine, it never harmed anyone.

If I tried that now, though, I'm sure someone would send me to the guidance counselor or school shrink.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 22:13   #25
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Or to the feds.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:19   #26
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I know you were just kidding, and I'm glad there were others around you who knew it too. But technically, threatening to kill anyone - even in an abstract statement - is against the law, so in this age of school shootings they're required to act on it. And understandably so.

I'm not saying you should be where you are - I'd rather everyone had let it go based on how well many of the people there know you.

The problem is the school authorities have something they can hold over your head which the police can use to file formal charges at any time, so keep your head down, tough it out and let it pass. And don't even joke about killing someone any more. In 1962 it wouldn't have mattered much, but this is 2008. Things are different now than they used to be.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:35   #27
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
Quote:
Originally posted by PaperClip
Those statements were taken very seriously at my school too. It's not really something you ever want to say. I would suggest doing as they ask. Sometimes you need to choose the path of lease resistance.
Eh I agree depending on the tone or the perception of the person who oveheard it...probably ridiculously blown out of proportion

Now if you said it in an angry tone like seriously I am going to kill this person...might ought to take more seriously but...I'm going to give an extreme example here. If it was like the classic schoolgirl like omg i am going to kill my friend stacey because she forgot to buy ______ type mascara when I specifically asked for _________. omg...i can't believe it.

You know. Obvious sarcasm...

But in this day & age...people are so twisted schools can't know or take chances. Consult the observations of other students who heard the same comment whether they considered the remark obviously in the sense of sarcasm.

You'll have to go to the classes most likely...just go to them...but make it clear you never had any intent of causing any harm to anyone and think up a good comparison along the lines of the schoolgirl sarcasm tone. Preferably something not so...gossippy/annoying/schoolgirl-ish...but again my example is one extreme of sarcasm.

I mean acknowledge that someone took something in complete sarcasm as something that could have been very serious. blah blah blah something like that

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 20:34   #28
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Where I live, it is the law that anything of this nature, joke or not, must reported, and if it's not reported, the teacher gets sued - literally. I've been working full time in public schools since the '01-'02 school year, and it's always been the case. The above posts are pretty good at explaining why.

Even if out of 1000 cases of this, only one turns up to be worthy of investigating, it's still worth looking into all, since it's not able to be determined which of those thousand is legitimately serious.

Plus, student teachers have very little experience and are fresh out of the classes that preach this to them, and under the microscope of their supervisors. They'll lighten up after teaching a year or two.

Furthermore, the school might be using you as an example to scare other students away from doing that sort of thing, in an attempt at promoting a brand of 'zero tolerance' which is rather unfair to you. Based on the little information I know about your case, had this happened in my school, you would still have been subject to meetings with a police officer, parents, and the building principal, but after some hard warnings, they'd probably let you off the hook and not mandate counseling, considering it's the first offense on record.

I'm guessing if you just play ball on this one, it'll be over and forgotten sooner than any other route, since there's very little to be gained by going any other direction.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 16:50   #29
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
yeah, what's wrong with the world today?
we're so busy shoving our heads up our asses trying to not offend anyone some people are seeing something that looks like daylight after a while.

get a fucking attorney, fight it, get one of those "we don't get paid unless you win" ones, they're often pretty good since they're total complete slimeballs and will get you off on technicalities even if slightly unethical.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 17:38   #30
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
I don't need to "speak" about killing anybody, where it can be overheard by any "student" teacher (or anybody else), and then be misinterpreted (or not).

Nope... there is no speaking needed at all because...
I kill with my mind - I kill with a single thought!
And I've done it often!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 19:38   #31
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

It will apparently be over soon, heh.

Should I mention that I've made 3 of the counselor's give up?

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 27th May 2008, 20:04   #32
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally posted by mike-db
It will apparently be over soon, heh.

Should I mention that I've made 3 of the counselor's give up?
More on the counselor's giving up. Sounds interesting.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 20:09   #33
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Nope... there is no speaking needed at all because...
I kill with my mind - I kill with a single thought!
And I've done it often!
Ah, you're just a silly piece of sh.............ow.....Ow......OW.........OW OW OW OW......oh Jesus......OUCH......ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Old 28th May 2008, 06:14   #34
Rellik
Major Dude

Here's what I would probably tell the counselor:

"Have you ever considered that all this counseling, watching and attention to me is having the opposite effect? Before this started I was just a normal smart person, but now I am feeling agitated, depressed, and angry.

My whole life could be ruined because someone misinterpreted what I said in passing. Rather than let me tell you what I meant by what I said, you guys feel the need to explore my inner workings.

I understand that there are people out there who need this kind of assistance, but let me assure you, I am not one of those people."
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 06:19   #35
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
Here's what I would probably tell the counselor:

"Have you ever considered that all this counseling, watching and attention to me is having the opposite effect? Before this started I was just a normal smart person, but now I am feeling agitated, depressed, and angry. [...]"
That statement could get you into more trouble. After making what school management sees as a threatening remark, saying you're more depressed and angry now - regardless of the reason - will not have the desired outcome, but instead would probably get you a counseling extension. Or worse.

Old 28th May 2008, 06:39   #36
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
That statement could get you into more trouble... [and]would probably get you a counseling extension. Or worse.
Very likely so.

Old 28th May 2008, 06:59   #37
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I'd recommend to Mike, now that the chips are down, to walk on eggshells until this scenario reaches it's logical conclusion: The counselor being satisfied that you are not a threat and "releasing you on your own recognizance". The only things that will improve the situation at this point are time and patience.

Old 28th May 2008, 17:05   #38
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
he could just keep it up untill all the counselors in his area refuse to work with him too

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 23:23   #39
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Generally when a counselor has given up, the client is referred to something more serious, like a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or a cell mate.

Old 30th May 2008, 04:14   #40
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Yeah its getting to the point where I'll be spending time in city cells for 3 months. (Thats worse then that prison kids go to I can't really spell it)

I went in there once for a week because I was caught drunk in public a few times they always threw the fucked up crack heads in there.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions