Old 12th November 2008, 14:56   #1
jdawson1960

Hybrid Car ??

I am getting ready to buy another car now. When gas prices were $4 plus, I was really thinking about buying a hybrid. Now with gas prices back down to $2 or less, should I.

I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.

So any feedback of your experience owning a hybrid, or why I should or shoulnt would be appreciated.
jdawson1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 15:04   #2
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Why get a hybrid when you can get a sub-compact for much less with the same amount of gas mileage?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 00:31   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

So you registered on a media player forum to ask a question about a car? Are there no car forums anymore?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 00:45   #4
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Why get a hybrid when you can get a sub-compact for much less with the same amount of gas mileage?
Plus, the battery cells in hybrids will fail to recharge after about 3-4 years. The cost of new battery packs will run you anywhere between $2000-$5000 dollars ... at least from when I was looking into it a few years ago.

Bottom line: hybrids end up costing you more, even if gas is $4/gal.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 02:05   #5
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Buy a European/Japanese/Korean diesel engined car, that way not only do you get considerably improved MPG (Which more than offsets the cost of the fuel) but these days the Hot cars in the range are more and more often diesel powered. So its a good chance you will get a sporty little number as well if you shop around.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 02:29   #6
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Use public transit.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 02:58   #7
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Buy a bike.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 03:12   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Plus, the battery cells in hybrids will fail to recharge after about 3-4 years. The cost of new battery packs will run you anywhere between $2000-$5000 dollars ... at least from when I was looking into it a few years ago.

Bottom line: hybrids end up costing you more, even if gas is $4/gal.
Weren't there programs where the car manufacturer owns the battery while you own the car, mitigating that risk?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 03:44   #9
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by Wildrose-Wally
So you registered on a media player forum to ask a question about a car? Are there no car forums anymore?
Actually, there are car forums, like this one I post at, where the same schmuck makes the same post...

Spambot rollcall

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 05:19   #10
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

hybrids are shit at the moment.

people that drive prius' are fucken retards.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 11:36   #11
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
people that drive prius' are fucken retards.
and people who watch southpark know that for ages
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 03:38   #12
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.<<<<<

That is missing the point. The point is to use less gas nad put out less emissions in to he air. it's not all about breaking even or making a profit. we use less gas, we are that much closer to energy independence and less at the mercy of oil speculators world wide.

not to mention, hybrids are quieter and your stereo will sound better.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 12:10   #13
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Weren't there programs where the car manufacturer owns the battery while you own the car, mitigating that risk?
Not that I was ever aware of. However, I got the majority of my information on the hybrids from the big three seeing as how I am surrounded by them.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 04:40   #14
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.<<<<<

That is missing the point. The point is to use less gas nad put out less emissions in to he air. it's not all about breaking even or making a profit. we use less gas, we are that much closer to energy independence and less at the mercy of oil speculators world wide.

not to mention, hybrids are quieter and your stereo will sound better.

so.....

let me get this straight?

the reason i should buy a prius which is going to stall and basically go faster uphill if i push it, is so i can make a statement about the fact that i'm such a treehugger i won't even drink milk because of it?

go join earthfirst, the eco-friendly terrorists.

and here i thought it had something to do with saving on gas money.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 06:19   #15
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

uh, no. try again. The point is when you're sitting in traffic you won't be fucking up the air with emissions and you'll get 50+ mpg which will save you cash money every damn week and if everyone got 50+ mpg we wouldn't have to buy so much oil from the middle east, Mexico, South America, etc..... It's not about posturing or tree hugging it's about immediate impact. So what if calculating 10 years of cost/use analysis you don't break even. Do you do that with every purchase you make? I doubt it. I really do.

And btw, you don't have to push the car going uphill, Einstein. No it's not a dickwagging '70's muscle car, but it still goes as fast as you need to go. What are you overcompensating for? Truly, dude, the size and speed of your car doesn't mean shit to anyone but the voices in your head.

Old 20th November 2008, 06:47   #16
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Last I checked, the engine only came on when you hit a certain speed or the battery ran low or something like that. If you're in traffic you'd use very little, if any, fuel.

There is no sig.
Old 20th November 2008, 06:57   #17
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
And electric motors have way more acceleration then a gas motor. You press the accelerator, the engine spins at full speed. No revving or picking up revs. Power is there when you press go.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 12:47   #18
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Trouble is though, a Prius is just the same as any other car when it comes to driving on the motorway or in speedy traffic. Then it comes down to the skill of the driver to get the best out of it economy wise, and there are far more economical cars out there than the Prius that have a normal Diesel (Or hell even a couple of Petrol) Engines.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:31   #19
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

true. while the electric moter has plenty of torque, the downside is the gas engine is indeed a bit of a peanut and if you live in a hilly area your overall mpg will suffer. the trick is to think about momentum, feathering and working on keeping the gas engine from kicking in as little as possible.

Old 20th November 2008, 15:07   #20
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Why buy a Prius when an M3 gets better mileage?

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:40   #21
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

really, the bmw m3 gets 55 + mpg?

Old 20th November 2008, 16:54   #22
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

The video shows the M3 getting better mileage(according to the host person) at highway speeds.

There is no sig.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:02   #23
General Geoff
Major Dude

When the Prius was driven flat-out on a race course, it only managed 17mpg. The show's host chased the Prius in an M3 (which barely taxed the M3 at all to keep up), and got 19mpg.

It goes to show that it's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it that makes all the difference.

Old 20th November 2008, 17:16   #24
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

That's true. However everyday driving is rarely like going flat out on a race course. At my previous job, the route I took there back hills and freeway for 34 miles in each direction -- I averaged 53 mpg. At the gig I have now, I take a different route over steeper hills -- 22 miles round trip -- and get worse mpg; only around 46-48 depending on weather.

I'll keep the M3 in mind for my next flat track race car, though.

Old 20th November 2008, 17:21   #25
General Geoff
Major Dude

I've driven a 2006 Jetta turbodiesel and gotten an average of 51mpg highway, and 46mpg city. My 1990 Yamaha Virago 1100 gets 50mpg city or highway, no matter how hard I ride it.

Hybrids aren't the only way to stretch fuel.

Old 20th November 2008, 20:44   #26
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

oh,a motorcycle. Sure. And in good weather I ride my Marin 24 spd bicycle. It gets me to work for free (well, I paid $500 for it so it took me most of the Spring and Summer to pay off in gas, oil and maint. savings. And I get thighs of thunder for the effort. There is always a straw man argument that can be pulled out.

Old 20th November 2008, 20:50   #27
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Although there really is no argument here. I like my car and you like yours. A fine arrangement. The only thing I objected was being called a tree hugger because I happen to care about spewing as little shit into the atmosphere as I can when I drive, that's all.

Old 20th November 2008, 21:36   #28
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah i know, but that's why the majority of people buy them, or misconceptions about savings.

and just for the record, the person i get a ride from the most, has a shitty hyundai accent (90 or 91 i think) and it's one of those cars where i get in and am amazed that my knees don't touch the front windshield, they almost do, but not quite.

prius is the same kind of shitty bubble car, and as much as i hate to admit it, even with a gas only engine the hyundai struggles uphills, even around 10 degree inclines with three fat people around 200-300 you have to floor it, now one of my friends had a prius (for about a month) and we actually did have to get out for that thing to make it up one hill, granted it was i'd guess 20 degrees at most instead of near 10 degree hill, but that thing had serious issues with hills, electric cars could work, but they have such weak electric engines that for the most part it's kicking the gas one on to barely break even.

Old 20th November 2008, 22:14   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
^TDM, I often agree with select posts of yours, but that one is completely false. There's just no lighter way to put it.

In my experience I have found that Hybrid cars can climb hills far more quickly than most economy cars. I have family members living in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania (Kennerdell) that drive 2 of them to work every day with no complaints and still 50+ mpg on every tank, even in extreme weather when the mileage drops slightly. Their mountain roads are often steeper than 20 degrees near where they live, and yet the car has no trouble not only maintaining speed, but accelerating for the entire duration of the climb.

And, we've discussed this before:
http://forums.shoutcast.com/showthre...00#post2399200

The current Prius is very roomy for passengers - much more so than other economy cars, quite strong with gas+electric+CVT transmission in combination when needed, and will save money despite the price difference (compared to equal non-hybrid models) if you keep it a little longer (closer to 8-10 years).

Also, Toyota warrants the battery 10 YEARS or 150,000 MILES, whichever comes first (at least here where I live - warranties vary), so the argument that tosses in paranoia about battery life is also useless here, unless of course your car is older or has higher mileage than those numbers, in which case, the batteries are coming down in price.

For those wishing to reduce our dependence or usage of foreign oil, those wishing to save money in the long run, and those who support technology that increases energy efficiency, hybrid cars are a good choice. It has nothing to do with one's inclination to embrace a tree.

I currently do not own one, because the pre-hybrid car I have just doesn't seem to want to die, and I didn't see a good full-sized pickup truck that was hybrid when I bought the truck I have. If I'm in the market for something later, I will keep hybrids on my list for consideration if they suit my needs.

Don't forget to live before you die.

Last edited by swingdjted; 20th November 2008 at 22:30.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 04:59   #30
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah i know they do well, i mean they get overloaded more easily, having to get out to go up the hill was with passengers weighing around 600-900LBS, one or two people barely over 190 or so it'll do fine.

Old 21st November 2008, 09:02   #31
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
110 horsepower is more than adequate to pull heavy passengers up a hill, especially since the car is rather light, even with a lot of beef in the seats. Now, 110 might seem like a low number, but you must remember that's 110 horsepower available at any time at any speed because of the CVT transmission - no peeks or valleys or powerbands or bullshit like that - just strong, maximum power any time you step hard on the accelerator. Other cars with auto or manual transmissions only get their max horsepower during a very short period while accelerating, leaving the rest at a compromised RPM.

Even when the first (less strong) model was introduced, it would be absurd to believe that passengers would have to exit the car to get up any paved road hill, unless there was a serious and unusual problem with the car or it's driver.

As far as the diesel suggestion, from Wikipedia:
Quote:
In a Popular Mechanics magazine diesel versus hybrid comparison of February 2005, the Prius outperformed the Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI diesel in both city and highway fuel economy.
Also remember that diesel costs considerably more money in most places, including where I am.

Besides, if it's ferocious, violent acceleration power you want, Lexus makes a 438 horsepower hybrid with 21+ average/combined miles per gallon.

Don't forget to live before you die.

Last edited by swingdjted; 21st November 2008 at 09:25.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 23:21   #32
hostchecker

Gas prices will rise again, they had to go down, or people would be on the street right now with the current economy.
hostchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions