Old 29th October 2012, 11:17   #1
Lutz_71

Help needed after harddrive crash

Hi everyone,

I'm facing the following problem:

all my MP3 files are stored on an external HD. Said HD fell to the floor a couple of days ago, the HD is broken (click of death), data restore will cost me about US-$ 1,300.00 to US-$ 2,000.00, as it's more than 200 GB of music files.

I DO have a backup on another drive, but that's more than 9 months old (and yes, I know, you shouldn't wait so long between backups, that's also my fault alone and I'm biting myself in abundance for doing so). But it's still better than nothing.

Prior to the fall the HD was stil connected to my PC, then I safely disconnetcted the drive and took it to my other working station.

I was listening to music through Winamp before the crash, so the library i Winamp currently still contains all songs formerly accessible through the HD.

I'D like to now how to save the library content and make it visible to compare the content with the backup HD to find out what files are actually lost for good and need replacement.

I'm afraid if I start up Winamp regularly, since it won't find the drive normally used it might wipe the library content clean and I'll lose the only complete listing of my music I can currently think of for good.

I hope I could relay my problem sufficiently and someone arounf here can help me out with some good advice.

Thanks a lot for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Lutz

P.S.
I also have a library under Windows Media Player (I used that program to obtain the cover art for the albums), so if anyone knows a way to save ans use the library data there, I'd welcome the input as well.
Lutz_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 11:30   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if i understand correctly, the music HD is dead, but u have a 9 month old backup. however, you want to manually compare the backup to the ML DB contents of winamp.

hopefully, u don't have winamp setup to rescan on startup via watch folders, or to "remove missing files."

if i have it right, i would try to export the winamp DB prior to syncing winamp to the 9 month old backup.

more info here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=350067

does this answer your question?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 14:23   #3
Lutz_71

Hi,

yes, you assume correctly to my intention for comparison.

I'm not sure about the settings for rescan or removal, which is why I ask around for possible suggestions on saving the library data without starting Winamp.

Ideally I should probably copy the current library file(s) to another location, start Winamp, adjust the settings for rescan and removal if necessary and then copy the file(s) back again for another start. If that is the way it could work, that is.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what file(s) I'd have to copy and if it is possible at all to manually exchange the library data Winamp uses on startup.

Thanks for your input and your time.
Old 29th October 2012, 14:54   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Have you looked at the Winamp Backup Tool?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 16:02   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz_71 View Post
Hi,

yes, you assume correctly to my intention for comparison.

I'm not sure about the settings for rescan or removal, which is why I ask around for possible suggestions on saving the library data without starting Winamp.
got it. the *.idx files are where the DB is. not sure what all u need specifically though. also, the files might be in the user profile area, not the winamp app area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz_71 View Post
Ideally I should probably copy the current library file(s) to another location, start Winamp, adjust the settings for rescan and removal if necessary and then copy the file(s) back again for another start. If that is the way it could work, that is.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what file(s) I'd have to copy and if it is possible at all to manually exchange the library data Winamp uses on startup.

Thanks for your input and your time.
there is a way to do that, i just don't know the exact steps, but it would involve the idx files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Have you looked at the Winamp Backup Tool?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153
this is a good suggestion, the only catch here would be copying the DB data WITHOUT copying the watch folders setting.

also, the prefs for watch folders may, or may not, be exposed in a winamp ini file somewhere, (i think winamp uses a few ini type text files for config)

--
Old 30th October 2012, 17:51   #6
Xennex

The option to automatically scan the media library is in

user application data folder/Winamp/Plugins/gen_ml.ini:

bgrescan_startup=0 (set it to zero to disable rescan)

The option to remove missing files on rescan is in the same file:

bgrescan_compact=0 (set it to zero to disable compacting)

I would suggest you backup first though, just to be safe.

There is another option bgrescan_do, I don't know what it does, it is set to 0 in my config.
Xennex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 18:11   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex View Post
The option to automatically scan the media library is in

user application data folder/Winamp/Plugins/gen_ml.ini:

bgrescan_startup=0 (set it to zero to disable rescan)
well spotted! interestingly, this line does not exist in my ini file, maybe b/c i never toggled rescan at startup on, on this install.

Quote:
The option to remove missing files on rescan is in the same file:

bgrescan_compact=0 (set it to zero to disable compacting)
i don't have this line either, and compacting is usually the final stage AFTER removing missing artists from the DB, where the DB is compacted to save space, or so i believe.

in other words, i don't think it controls removing missing files, but rather DB compacting. i would think one would want to compact.

Quote:
I would suggest you backup first though, just to be safe.

There is another option bgrescan_do, I don't know what it does, it is set to 0 in my config.
i do have this line, and mine is also set to zero. do you have your pref set to remove missing files? i do. maybe this line is for that, as i see no other bg lines in my file and i check no other options in that area.

--
Old 30th October 2012, 18:36   #8
Xennex

well spotted! interestingly, this line does not exist in my ini file, maybe b/c i never toggled rescan at startup on, on this install.

Yes it seems Winamp adds the lines only when they are toggled from the default. The lines are simply added to the end of the file.

in other words, i don't think it controls removing missing files, but rather DB compacting. i would think one would want to compact.

You can test it yourself. If you disable "remove missing files" that line will be added. I'm not sure if Winamp does any DB compacting in the compression sense of the word. Wouldn't know. There's no option to disable it in the interface anyway.

i do have this line, and mine is also set to zero. do you have your pref set to remove missing files? i do. maybe this line is for that, as i see no other bg lines in my file and i check no other options in that area.

dunno... oh! bgrescan_do gets toggled to 1 when you set up a rescan schedule.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:00   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:

Yes it seems Winamp adds the lines only when they are toggled from the default. The lines are simply added to the end of the file.
so i just toggled OFF my "remove missing files" pref, and:

bgrescan_compact=0

was added at the end of the file. toggled it ON and it became =1

so it would seem "on" is now the default, which i didn't know, and it doesn't have its own line until toggled.

it would also seem it has nothing to do with the compacting stage, which is at the very least counter intuitive.

the compacting still seems to happen, but it doesn't display, it just hangs on the last thing scanned and increases the cpu fan as before.

Quote:

You can test it yourself. If you disable "remove missing files" that line will be added. I'm not sure if Winamp does any DB compacting in the compression sense of the word. Wouldn't know. There's no option to disable it in the interface anyway.
i don't know what it actually does when compacting, but i do know that when it =1 it shows a line for compacting after removing missing files. its also just odd and misleading to give it that name:

bgrescan_compact

if its only for removing files or not, and nothing to do with compacting, as seems to be the case.

Quote:

dunno... oh! bgrescan_do gets toggled to 1 when you set up a rescan schedule.
ah, and i don't do that. so that explains that.

EDIT: although why i have that line, idk, since i don't recall ever toggling the option.

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 30th October 2012 at 20:15.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:25   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Winamp keeps configuration info all over the place, like .xml, .xnf, and .sts files, as well as the usual suspects. It's like an Easter egg hunt.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 16:51   #11
Lutz_71

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll get to it on the weekend, probably with the help of someone knowing more about computers than me. I'll let you know if I succeeded.

Thanks again
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:09   #12
Xennex

@MrSinatra:

Yes that's what I have been saying.

It's called 'compact' because removing files does in fact compact the database. If it was called 'compress' it would be really misleading. "bgrescan_compact=0" obviously refers to something that is done on rescan, and it would be ugly to call it "bgrescan_delete_on_missing".

"bgrescan_do" was also present in my file before I toggled it. Guess it's just part of the default ini loaded from the executable or some source file when the ini goes missing.

@Lutz:

Good luck. I've grown past not having a backup, although I'm exceedingly lazy in making them. I should go and do a sync now, given how much work I've done already. It's such a chore! I guess that's because my backup tool requires a bit of concentration to check whether everything is going alright, and I'm too lazy to focus like that. It's going to be a lengthy sync, given all the folders I've moved around.
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:23   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
@MrSinatra:

Yes that's what I have been saying.

It's called 'compact' because removing files does in fact compact the database. If it was called 'compress' it would be really misleading. "bgrescan_compact=0" obviously refers to something that is done on rescan, and it would be ugly to call it "bgrescan_delete_on_missing".
thats fine, but what i am saying is that when on, "removing missing files" and "compacting" are seemingly two different stages and actually denoted as such by the status line in watch folders when a rescan is being done.

one is given the impression the way the status line looks, and the computer acts, that compacting is actually compressing the DB, but maybe not. either way, denoted or not, compacting, whatever it actually is, seems to happen at the end of both scans. it just isn't denoted when remove missing files isn't checked.

--
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:31   #14
Xennex

Alright, my apologies. I don't know what "watch folders" is, and have never seen those status lines. So I guess Winamp does compress the lib then.
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:38   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Alright, my apologies. I don't know what "watch folders" is, and have never seen those status lines. So I guess Winamp does compress the lib then.
its in prefs, i figured you knew what it was b/c thats where you toggle on and off the stuff in the ini file.

in winamp, go to options > prefs > ML > Local Media > Watch Folders tab.

this is where you toggle stuff on and off, and where you turn off metadata guessing (in 2 places).

i set it to "watch" my root music folder. if you leave that up, and hit "rescan now" in that tab, you will see the status line i am talking about. watch folders is essential to my winamp usage.

i do not claim to know for sure that when it says compacting, it is actually compressing the DB, its just my best guess.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion