Old 31st December 2003, 15:30   #1
Triton4
Major Dude

Question Lyrics: Are they really necessary?

Which is more important in a song: the musical theme, or the accompanying lyrics?

Personally, I feel the music theme of any song is the most important aspect of it & that it can stand on it's own strength, without requiring any lyrics to accompany it in the song. Hence, IMO lyrics are just a 'fillet' or simply an extra incorporation to any song, and that the song will still be in the same strength, even if the lyrics didn't exist.

What is your point of view on this? Do you think lyrics are a more important constituent of a song, unlike what I have stated in my post?
Triton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 15:47   #2
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

The thing is, a really great tune can be ruined by bad lyrics or vocals.... The whole nu-metal genre for instance.

But then, a terrible tune can be transformed by excellent lyrics. Take Sonic Youth or Pavement.

I prefer good music with good lyrics. Having said that, some of my favourite tracks are instrumentals...

Ellen Allien - Open
Legowelt - Fizzcaraldo

Those 2 tracks touch my soul, but no words are spoken.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 15:49   #3
sidd
Major Dude

Im undecided.

I sort of agree on you here, but all my fav bands seem to get picked because of incredible lyrics (modest mouse, augie march)

But then again, i also dig alot of instrumental stuff.. meh..

its not something i want to get headfucked over on new years eve.
sidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 15:53   #4
zootm
Forum King

depends on the song. it's like asking "do you need a really distorted guitar to make a good song?". obviously you don't need it, but used right it can make a good song.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 15:55   #5
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Happy New Year Sidd.

Then again, some of my favourite tracks are in foreign tongues - Stereolab, Barbara Morgenstern, Pizzicato Five, 2-Raum Wohnung, Lali Puna etc etc.

I haven't a clue what they're singing, but the music alone speaks volumes.

Old 31st December 2003, 17:14   #6
sidd
Major Dude

Then there is a band like sigur ros, where the singer sings in a made up language of complete giberish. But still sounds really meaningful.
Old 31st December 2003, 18:08   #7
zootm
Forum King

or rammstein. where he sounds more like a giant scary guy.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 18:53   #8
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by Cylob
Then again, some of my favourite tracks are in foreign tongues - Stereolab, Barbara Morgenstern, Pizzicato Five, 2-Raum Wohnung, Lali Puna etc etc.

I haven't a clue what they're singing, but the music alone speaks volumes.
Same here...Even with my aid of self-teaching myself Japanese, I have some J-Pop/J-Rock/Anime songs that I like, but the words are obviously a forgein language I don't understand...I still like them for some reason, though...

Then there are English-sung songs with lyrics I totally misinterpritate...Not that the song sucks, because you can't understand the lyrics, or the singer sucks, but I guess it's sorta funny when you think they're saying something, only to find you're totallt off when you search up the real lyrics...

Ok, I'm rambling here now...

Lyrics just add a new diversity effect and feeling to the song than can either strengthen it or drop it all like a rock...Other times, it's like a side item in a meal; You don't have to eat the side item, but with or without it, it still tastes good as a while meal...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 01:37   #9
aradnuk

Can anyone name a good song that has awful lyrics? I can't... But anyways the best musicians, the real greats will have both. Take Radiohead or Black Sabbath as an example. Amazing music, lyrics with meaning. Can't get any better.
aradnuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 04:47   #10
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

It depends on the band/song. With foreign music, I love listening to Vide Cor Meum sung by Danielle de Niese and Bruno Lazz. The song is opera and sung in Italian. I have no clue what they are saying (until I looked up the english lyrics) and the song is very moving, and very beautiful.

A song with horrible lyrics? I think TaTu's song All the Things She Said is just fucking horrible all the way around. Then theres the pop band Maroon 5 with Harder to breath which is pure shit IMHO.

Lyrics are not essential to make a song, but like Cylob said, some song have to have it to make it good.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 05:33   #11
henry3k56
Forum King

Unless you're not able to figure out what this word is, you can find out by reading along with the lyrics. Its a part of the music to have accompanying lyrics for the meaning and flow of the music.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 11:59   #12
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by aradnuk
Can anyone name a good song that has awful lyrics? I can't...
Yes.

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Old 2nd January 2004, 20:07   #13
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Well, while Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley is an awsome song with decent lyrics, the death-shreaking opening "MR. CROWLEY!~" could have been done without...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 23:06   #14
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by siddhartha_one
Then there is a band like sigur ros, where the singer sings in a made up language of complete giberish. But still sounds really meaningful.
You might find that that "gibberish" is Icelandic.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 05:19   #15
MontyGail

I don't know if I can give a certain answere to that. I'm a firm believer that lyrics should mean something. Should touch your heart. A song that doesn't mean anything is useless I think. I've always been the type of person to look at lyrics and pull the true meaning out of them. What the song means to me.

Course, what makes a song truly great is when the music flows so well with those lyrics. When it DOES stand on it's own as an instament piece.

I'm gonna give a personal example here...and y'all are gonna make a face at this one..lol! but, for instance, my fave song "Insatiable" by Darren Hayes....the lyrics are very instense and sensual....the only love song that has any true meaning. The thing that really amazes me though is that the music and melody carries them so well. You could strip away the lyrics and that song would STILL be intense and filled with eletric sexual charge that moves you. The song really does have a thumping and pounding passion...very saucy.

To me...it's the marriage between music and lyric that makes a song good. That all comes down to the writer. If they can tie the two together well....which, in the case of that song...it does!

Jess
MontyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 11:37   #16
sidd
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
You might find that that "gibberish" is Icelandic.
No, the first 1 and a bit albums (Von and some of Agaitus Byrjun) are in icelandic, after that he (jonsi) decided that the lyrics meant nothing to him, and that he stressed over them too much, considering they didnt add to the songs (in his opinion). So he invented a language called "hopelandic", which is pretty much repeating "yu saleron le fla" or something over and over again on every track. Check out the newer album (), every single track is just this line.
Old 4th January 2004, 05:34   #17
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by siddhartha_one

SPANK!!!

Ok, so I lost count
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 03:17   #18
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
I feel great songs can be ruined by lyrics (any techno with original lyrics).
Yes lyrics can play second string at times. But then again, they can seem like just another amazing instroment (like: The Mars Volta). Sure you might not be able to understand what he says, but its still amazing.
Then you have musical geniuses like Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Modest Mouse. They creat amazing lyrics that really ad to the song. I mean, I wouldnt want to listen to the intermental only version of a tool song, or modest mouse, it would just be very boring.
Lyrics done right add so much depth to a song, but if done poorly, will only hinder the song.
Just look into the mars volta, lyrical masters, so much so, it is just another exotic sound to the rest of the song.
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 04:21   #19
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

They go hand in hand, except good music doesn't need lyrics. But since many songs are basically words put to a decent beat or rythem, I don't really know.
I love instrumentals though.

Classic example of good song making with little or no need for lyrics: Panic Song by Green Day (Insomniac) My favorite.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2004, 03:08   #20
ndspeed3

I don't think that music without lyrics would have much emotion or meaning to them...
ndspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2004, 04:04   #21
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ndspeed3
I don't think that music without lyrics would have much emotion or meaning to them...
in the words of some guy downtown: "Bitch Please". You just have to feel the music instead of hearing some yokel plead it out.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2004, 04:27   #22
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ndspeed3
Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach were all meaningless?
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2004, 19:26   #23
CGameProgrammer

Music is definitely more important. However you're confusing lyrics with singing... lyrics are the words themselves, and they're independent of the singer and the notes. I think lyrics are less important than singing or the instrumental music... and the instruments are the most important of the three.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 05:20   #24
ViperJackson

A good song should not need lyrics to be good. However, some musicians (folk specifically comes to mind) are known for their lyrics, and their music is really uncreative and boring, but it suits the lyrics.
ViperJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama