Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 19th December 2013, 10:53   #241
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@Corsario

I think that's just the way Windows Explorer works with the API we're using.
Click the expand/collapse arrow next to the parent folder and all the subfolders will reappear.
yup as explained in http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=156
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 16:09   #242
smujohnson

I'd be more than happy to use the latest dev build of Winamp if someone would provide the link. I've been told that twice, and finding it has proved extremely difficult, especially since Winamp's public website still hosts the old version I keep getting told not to use.
smujohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 16:18   #243
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755 (which is noted in a number of places throughout the forum sticky threads) and the main site does provide that same build (build #3516), so if you're repeatedly getting something else then there is a caching issue between you and the site.
Old 19th December 2013, 16:20   #244
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@smujohnson

There is no dev build.
The latest release is the release build available on www.winamp.com/player

Winamp 5.666 Released (Build 3516, Dec 12)

Winamp 5.666 Full (US English version)
Winamp 5.666 Full (Multi-national installer)

The build number in file properties & the About dialog will say 3516

The only other available update since then is the JTFE (gen_jumpex.dll) update,
which resolves the issue where the Jump To File window wasn't remembering its skinned state.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

However, I've not been able to reproduce any issue with Winamp hanging whilst playing mp3's in 2 concurrently running instances....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 00:09   #245
Corsario

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@Corsario

I think that's just the way Windows Explorer works with the API we're using.
Click the expand/collapse arrow next to the parent folder and all the subfolders will reappear.
I understand. But was there any significant changes in the API in between 5.65 and this version, in regards to this subject?
Corsario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 08:59   #246
DrO

nope and like my reply in post #156 (as referenced in post #241) explains it is down to the operating system and is not something that can or would be circumvented within the Winamp code (even if it could be done).
Old 20th December 2013, 17:57   #247
smujohnson

@DrO,

Thanks for the link. I was mistaken in thinking a newer version would have updated the 5.666 so my bad.

Also, thanks for giving the concurrent mp3 playing thing a try. I will attempt it again today and find out what is doing it. If I can consistently get it to happen, I will let you know how I did it. (Ie, playing a flac and an mp3, or two mp3s, etc).
Old 20th December 2013, 22:16   #248
smujohnson

@DrO (part II)

So far it has not hung yet with the dual instances which is nice. (knocks on wood).

But, was curious also if you had a chance to look at the "Add Folder" bug that I posted a while back, that someone just recently confirmed on this thread as also happening to them. Hopefully I can sneak that one in before Winamp stops being produced :/

Thank you.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:24   #249
smujohnson

Ah, I got it to bomb. Ah well. I simply just use it for about 10 mins and it will hang. This time what happened is Winamp popped up with a:

"Winamp has detected a removable drive .... "
"Is this a portable music player that you want to manage with Winamp?"

.. message, which I didn't answer in time, and then i tried clicking on the main winamp screen and it said it wasn't responding, and I closed it.

Christmas request: is it possible to have a checkbox to disable that popup entirely? I have never once in my life wanted Winamp to manage that, yet every time I plug in a USB drive or use TrueCrypt to mount a local volume, Winamp pops up with that god-forsaken message everytime.

Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 00:25   #250
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@smujohnson

You can add drive letters to the Blacklist Drive list via:
Winamp > Prefs > Plug-ins > Portables > pmp_usb.dll > config
(though the drive needs to be connected to the system at the time).

Alternatively, if you don't want that functionality, you can just remove the pmp_usb plugin...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 11:29   #251
DJ_The_SP

I searched through this thread and am kind of amazed no one else seems to report this (as if i am the only one with this issue....).

On a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro, my 'current' playlist in Winamp is no longer stored.
There are no crashes that i can see, yet when i load a playlist and close Winamp, the playlist will be gone when i open Winamp again.
I've tried running as administrator but that doesn't change anything either.
DJ_The_SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 11:47   #252
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smujohnson
But, was curious also if you had a chance to look at the "Add Folder" bug that I posted a while back, that someone just recently confirmed on this thread as also happening to them. Hopefully I can sneak that one in before Winamp stops being produced :/
and as I've replied 3 times now, it is done by the OS and nothing that can or would be done by Winamp to circumvent it if it could be (which I would not look into anyway).
Old 21st December 2013, 11:57   #253
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@DJ_The_SP: Plenty of people were testing on Win8.1 so I doubt it is just a Win8 thing. What plugins are you running? (Time for an info tool report)

You certainly should not have to "Run as Administrator".

Have a look into %APPDATA%\Roaming\Winamp\ and you should see Winamp.m3u in there. This is the playlist. Do you see the file appear at all as you start and stop Winamp? Watch the file date and time as you start and stop the program. This file can also be opened in Notepad to look at.

Have you copied any of these files in from an old installation? Did you make sure you corrected any user rights on the file? Read Only flags?

Are other settings being maintained between starts? Choice of skins, position of windows, etc. Trying to work out if you are having problems saving anything in the %APPDATA% folder.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 11:13   #254
DJ_The_SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
@DJ_The_SP: Plenty of people were testing on Win8.1 so I doubt it is just a Win8 thing. What plugins are you running? (Time for an info tool report)

You certainly should not have to "Run as Administrator".

Have a look into %APPDATA%\Roaming\Winamp\ and you should see Winamp.m3u in there. This is the playlist. Do you see the file appear at all as you start and stop Winamp? Watch the file date and time as you start and stop the program. This file can also be opened in Notepad to look at.

Have you copied any of these files in from an old installation? Did you make sure you corrected any user rights on the file? Read Only flags?

Are other settings being maintained between starts? Choice of skins, position of windows, etc. Trying to work out if you are having problems saving anything in the %APPDATA% folder.
Thanks for all the tips.
I noticed that some files (and perhaps the folder too) in Appdata had a Read-only flag.
I unchecked it, and i did see a playlist file being written now.
So, if my playlist no longer disapears this should do the trick.
Old 22nd December 2013, 11:31   #255
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Excellent. Can be easy to happen if the backup came from a DVD.

Could be worth flipping all the READONLY flags in there.

Open the %APPDATA%\Roaming folder.
RIGHT CLICK on the Winamp folder.
Click on the READ ONLY flag to turn it off.
Hit OK
When it pops up the box to ask what you want to do, tick "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" and hit OK

Now that should clear all those pesky read-only flags.

And remember - if this is happening to Winamp, you may have it happening in other programs to. So it may be worth hitting the whole Roaming folder in this manner.
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:36   #256
Legendarion

Is the build version 3516 the very last one or will there be an update of it?!
Legendarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:45   #257
DrO

3516 is it afaik (and it technically should still have been on 3507 if it weren't for trying to do the right thing and fixing other things that cropped up as time allowed).
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:33   #258
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendarion View Post
Is the build version 3516 the very last one or will there be an update of it?!
if you look tho, you may find patches here and there... for instance, the jtfe plugin has been updated since then. more may, or may not, be coming.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:14   #259
Legendarion

Well, the Plugins is better than nothing of course. I was just hoping for a very last updated version of the program itself most because of the little Jump To File skin bug. In that way I wouldn't be depended by installing the Plugins all the time.
Legendarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:25   #260
DrO

the jtfe plug-in historically was updated out of band and thats what I've gone back to doing. I understand your point but additional rebuilds are just not viable and cause more issues with more fragmentation of 5.66x builds people are using plus as Winamp is plug-ins, whatever may come later will involve plug-in updates anyway so one installer to rule them all is not viable now.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:28   #261
Waldschrat

Winamp 5666
clean install (removed after failure and installed again)
german version

symptom: crashes on startup ... in the presence of a certain usb drive.
Watching process explorer output, I am pretty sure that the problem is caused when an excessively long path is encountered (I did not want to really count, but it would be close to 255...) or - alternatively - if too much directory nesting is present

Is there a way to disable scanning the entire system for potential media files (if so, could it be disabled before first launch fails?)
Waldschrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 23:32   #262
addicted2sex

WinAMP 5.666 clean install

Sometimes when I try to play a song (it happens only on specific songs) the winamp crashes. This is the log from the event viewer:

Faulting application name: winamp.exe, version: 5.6.6.3516, time stamp: 0x52aa753e
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6161, time stamp: 0x4dace5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00066812
Faulting process id: 0xee0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf00ae0732bebf
Faulting application path: D:\Programs\Winamp\winamp.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Programs\Winamp\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: 7265c99f-6ca1-11e3-8a2e-001bfcf431a6
addicted2sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 08:19   #263
DJ_The_SP

Quote:
I'm affraid my problem is still persisting. Can anyone tell me how to run that info tool?
As far as i know, all i'm using besides the default winamp install is a plug-in called 'classic spectrum analyser'.
Old 30th December 2013, 08:44   #264
cristix

-Winamp 5.666 (5.6.6.3516) winamp5666_full_en-us.exe - clean install + Jump to File Extra v1.33 (Build 1216)
error report generated by winamp.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (50.5 KB, 192 views)
cristix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 10:36   #265
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristix View Post
-Winamp 5.666 (5.6.6.3516) winamp5666_full_en-us.exe - clean install + Jump to File Extra v1.33 (Build 1216)
it's not a clean install as DFX (Winamp\Plugins\dsp_dfx.dll) is showing as being loaded. so would have to say remove that from the Winamp\Plugins folder and try again) as i cannot determine otherwise what is causing the crash. and for reference, the DFX plug-in is one of the top plug-ins which cause Winamp to crash and DFX don't seem to have any interest in fixing things and have suggested to other users to remove the plug-in as well so is all i can suggest as well.
Old 30th December 2013, 17:55   #266
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Build 3516. Removed all third party plugins and even tried in safe mode.

Windows XP Home 32 bit SP3 all updates.

It would seem that there's something screwy in Winamp's tags handling for MP3s (or ID3.) I was debugging a plugin and testing a some new source code for a playlist editor and while messing around I found that one of my MP3's was showing strange values in the comments section.

Here's a download link to an archive containing the MP3 and screenshots of the UFIP window showcasing what I'm talking about.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 18:05   #267
DrO

that's from the crap iTunes puts in the tag. shows the same in Winamp as mp3tag also does so i don't see any issue.
Old 30th December 2013, 19:18   #268
MrSinatra
Forum King

TT,

a frame in id3 can have multiple values via a null character, (I think its called). so iTunes abuses the comment frame. it leaves the first value for comments, then adds a second, hidden value for the numbers it translates into soundcheck (their RG) values/tags.

normally, to winamp, u don't see these 2nd, third, etc values. the comment field may appear completely blank, but hidden multiple values can exist, for just about any field.

I think mp3tag lets you enter them via double backslash or something like that. eventually I want to try to figure out how to use mp3tag to identify all my files with multiple values so I can expunge them, as I don't as of yet knowingly use them.

--
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:39   #269
DJ_MELERIX

no idea if this is already reported, but I noticed that if you make a clean install of the 5.666 the Winamp Font in the playlist looks different, and a bit more big.
DJ_MELERIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 08:44   #270
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_MELERIX View Post
no idea if this is already reported, but I noticed that if you make a clean install of the 5.666 the Winamp Font in the playlist looks different, and a bit more big.
Go into Preferences, General Preferences, Playlist and you will see here that you can choose the Playlist Font including using the same font as the skin.

I guess this default has swapped on your new install.
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:36   #271
MrSinatra
Forum King

this sounds like something I saw DrO write about elsewhere, where a system font takes over or something like that. a recent thread the last month or two.

--
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:01   #272
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I thought it was a recent addition. From memory I think DrO had it on his "todo" list and it was one of the items he got sorted before the deadline.

Playing with the option in Preferences shows that it does work as per the preferences page. i.e. Set the font to Times New Roman, and your playlist shows as that. Tick the box to use the skin or language pack font - and the playlist then changes to that font instead.

Playlist font size can also be tweaked on this same page.

This happens straight away, so make sure your Playlist is in view as you are changing the preferences.
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:16   #273
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_MELERIX View Post
Quote:
Go into Preferences, General Preferences, Playlist and you will see here that you can choose the Playlist Font including using the same font as the skin.

I guess this default has swapped on your new install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
this sounds like something I saw DrO write about elsewhere, where a system font takes over or something like that. a recent thread the last month or two.
Quote:
I thought it was a recent addition. From memory I think DrO had it on his "todo" list and it was one of the items he got sorted before the deadline.

Playing with the option in Preferences shows that it does work as per the preferences page. i.e. Set the font to Times New Roman, and your playlist shows as that. Tick the box to use the skin or language pack font - and the playlist then changes to that font instead.

Playlist font size can also be tweaked on this same page.

This happens straight away, so make sure your Playlist is in view as you are changing the preferences.
This is in the changelog.
- Added 'Ctrl+Enter' to reset the playlist editor font back to default (which has now been changed from 11 to 12 on new installs)

Change the font to 11 and it will look like it did before, but the new default is 12.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:25   #274
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanus View Post
Change the font to 11 and it will look like it did before, but the new default is 12.
That makes sense... my screen dimensions are a little bigger than they were back in the 1990s.

And flipping between Arial 11 and 12 is quite a difference in clarity, even up close.
Old 5th January 2014, 14:00   #275
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

BUG REPORT

DESCRIPTION: In the ML Track Number column, if the MP3 TAG for Track Number is set to ZERO (0 or 00) Winamp ML displays a blank.
EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR: Media Library should display 00
DOES THIS MATTER? Not really an issue as the empty field still alpha-sorts ahead of track one. Just looks a little odd and is technically displaying the "wrong" value.

WAFFLY DESCRIPTION:
I have an MP3 Audio Book. Tracks listed as 01,02,03,04,05 etc in the MP3 TRACKNO TAG. They show fine.

The Introduction is tagged as Track 00 which does not show that track number in Media Library.

Tags inserted by MP3TAG. (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)

Winamp's File Info shows the ID3v1 tag as blank, the ID3v2.3 tag as 00

WHAT I TRIED:
* I used Winamp to edit the ID3v1 TRACK field to 00. Hit OK and reopen CTRL+3 and ID3v1 still showed blank for the Track Number.
* I used Winamp to remove the ID3v1 tag - no change.
* I used MP3TAG to remove ALL of the tags, then pasted back in only ID3v2.3 tags - no change
* MP3TAG shows the Track Numbers as the zero padded values I have typed.
* Windows 7 shows the Track Number without the zero padding, but happily displays Track 0.
* Winamp shows the 00 Track Number in File Info (CTRL+3) but not in the Media Library.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:37   #276
MrSinatra
Forum King

they will probably tell you winamp is working as expected, and then the debate will be if winamp should recognize 00 or 0 as being different from null or no entry and / or should it be displayed?

--
Old 7th January 2014, 22:27   #277
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

They who?

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 09:15   #278
osanjose

Winmp Crash with mp3 files with tagged images

Hi:

Latest winamp version is constantly crashing with some mp3 (320 kbps) files that includes a image in its tags. It seems other mp3 without images work well, but unluckily some other with images also goes well. The error is the following (sorry it is in Castilian Spanish but main information is useful)

Nombre de la aplicación con errores: winamp.exe, versión: 5.6.6.3516, marca de tiempo: 0x52aa753e
Nombre del módulo con errores: MSVCR90.dll, versión: 9.0.30729.6161, marca de tiempo: 0x4dace5b9
Código de excepción: 0xc0000417
Desplazamiento de errores: 0x00066812
Id. del proceso con errores: 0x4d8
Hora de inicio de la aplicación con errores: 0x01cf0d224c4afcec
Ruta de acceso de la aplicación con errores: C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe
Ruta de acceso del módulo con errores: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_50934f2ebcb7eb57\MSVCR90.dll
Id. del informe: 931136fc-7915-11e3-ade2-002185c68a24

This is a 64bit PC with Windows 7 SP1

Any idea, or clue to fix this?

Thanks

Oscar

Last edited by osanjose; 9th January 2014 at 09:23. Reason: Not accurate definition
osanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 09:30   #279
osanjose

After further research it seems related with another tags. Files have been created with Nero mp3 encoder (I guess Lame) and using mp3tagfpor it seems nothing is wrong., but I just set to blank "Comments" tags and now everything seems to work again. However this tag was blank before dong that operation, so maybe it has weird hidden characters that produces winamp to crash, or maybe it is some other tag.

Any clue?
osanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:41   #280
MrSinatra
Forum King

winamp doesn't recognize multiple fields within a frame, so maybe something odd with that, or the char set, etc... best thing to do is post some example files that demonstrate the issue, and then post exactly what you did to "fix" them.

edit: and an info tool report.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports