Old 25th May 2014, 11:23   #361
thefraj

Does anyone know where you can download Winamp? It's unbelievable that winamp.com would take it offline altogether. The Fileshippo link is dead (network error) the only other one I can find left on the web I come anywhere near trusting is the CNET download - which of course is now bundled with malware. But at least the download actually contains Winamp.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks for help.

Also - why take it offline in the first place?
thefraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 12:27   #362
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefraj View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks for help.

Also - why take it offline in the first place?
Click on the green colored banner on the filehippo site.

This was explained before. This site can not provide it for legal reasons resulting from the sale.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 03:02   #363
DrO

i've tried the filehippo link (again) and using the green 'download latest version' link, it's working fine from my connection. and like noted, the reasons for why there is no Winamp installer download is due to legal issues / requirements as part of the Winamp and SHOUTcast sale (all of which has been covered in this somewhat ever increasing thread about things).

and you (and everyone else) needs to ensure you also apply the plug-in updates from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates after installing the v5.666 build 3516 installer (which is becoming tedious having to re-post multiple times now but i guess that's my fault for rushing out the final 3516 build, but hey ho, that's what happened and cannot be undone now).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 06:06   #364
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I might delete this post....

We keep providing a link to the #updates,
but also note how it's in the "Winamp 5.666 Released" thread,
and if you scroll up to the top of that page.....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 14:01   #365
Dial0g

When will be released a beta?
Dial0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 14:05   #366
DrO

that question was already answered with the reply to your prior post -> http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=209 (so i expect you'll ask the same question again in another month and a half)

and it is very unlikely that there will be a public beta program like was attempted with the 5.7/Cloud release. so it will only be a controlled beta test group like has existed for years.
Old 30th May 2014, 02:57   #367
dj02fi

Let's hope that public beta or possibility to join group would come soon.
dj02fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 13:28   #368
xnamkcor

Send a message via AIM to xnamkcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I would like to suggest that the next version of winamp be:

Winamp 7 Radionomy edition

...and that the hallmark of this winamp be that all plugins must be verified as working with winamp7. this means building in a plugin verifier to winamp that can't be defeated and making a clean break with ALL previous plugins. in that way, only plugins which the devs verify as compliant will then be listed on the website.

that would also lay the groundwork for including a "winamp store" where both winamp, and 3rd party devs, can share the revenue made by plugin purchases, and that revenue will encourage more plugin development.
No, the next major version number is 8. It goes 1, 2, 3, 5, 8.
xnamkcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 13:33   #369
DrO

you're both wrong and it's already been stated what the version number will be.
Old 31st May 2014, 09:29   #370
thunderhayes

I am pretty excited for the future of Winamp. I honestly had let it drop out of my radar (after having used it from MaximumCD's back in the day) due to just not remembering and getting things like an iPod.

I have already remade it a pretty decent part of my music playing experience. I have iTunes installed for my iPod touch, but am looking at jumping ship on iTunes and iOS for music playback (already have plans to buy an iPod video, replace the HDD with a CF/SD card and install Rockbox and use it exclusively for music playback on the go, with Winamp being exclusively for laptop music playback).

Perhaps the biggest thing that holds me back from a full switch over is that I like iTunes file management style. If you retag a file (change album name, change artist name, change track number, etc) it adjusts the file automatically. I am aware that ml_org exists, but I'm a little weary to use it since I've heard of problems with it deleting file extensions and leaving the ML in a bit of wreck play count wise. Is this feature being looked at in the new Winamp?
thunderhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 10:29   #371
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhayes View Post
I am aware that ml_org exists, but I'm a little weary to use it since I've heard of problems with it deleting file extensions and leaving the ML in a bit of wreck play count wise.
AlanS has not posted on this website in over 6 years. It is probably safe to say that his plug-in has been abandoned. It was designed for Winamp v5.52 and with all the changes since then it is probably not safe to use with the current Winamp version.

Sadly, many of the useful plug-ins from years past have not been kept up to date.

Old 31st May 2014, 12:23   #372
DrO

there are no plans currently to provide ml_org like functionality (especially not within the current timescale for a non-AOL release).

from a quick look at the thread for the plug-in, it seems like source code is available for the last release (which I'm not currently able to check what its like). so depending on what the code is like and the license, it might be viable at a latter time to update it to work with the newer Winamp along with the Unicode and artwork aspects I'm seeing requested for it after the last release was made. or it might just be easier to start over with a new design.

so I'll make a note of this but it does not guarantee that I'll get around to doing anything about it or that such functionality will ever make it into Winamp natively.
Old 31st May 2014, 15:34   #373
ADLY GIRGIS

Winamp used to be my favorite. It is now very difficult to understand and follow.i have no choice but to go back to windows media!
ADLY GIRGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 19:07   #374
DrO

please explain what is so difficult now? as not much has changed with Winamp for how you do things with it (much to the annoyance and also to the liking of many).
Old 31st May 2014, 20:04   #375
thunderhayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
there are no plans currently to provide ml_org like functionality (especially not within the current timescale for a non-AOL release)
Yeah, I am aware y'all have a lot on your hands with wanting to get a non-AOL version out this year. Especially considering that people were probably gearing up for Winamp's swan song.

Quote:
...depending on what the code is like and the license, it might be viable at a latter time to update it to work with the newer Winamp along with the Unicode and artwork aspects I'm seeing requested for it after the last release was made. or it might just be easier to start over with a new design.

so I'll make a note of this but it does not guarantee that I'll get around to doing anything about it or that such functionality will ever make it into Winamp natively.
Yeah, I'd think a newly coded native aspect would probably be better, in the long run, than adapting an abandoned plug in that, apparently, never truly left beta. It would give you two things, code that y'all own or have properly licensed fully, as well as a way to ensure future compatibility issues won't creep up. This isn't that big of a deal (If I ever get to using the Winamp library, I doubt I'd be doing much in terms of file directory browsing. Right now Winamp is my go to for stuff I don't want in iTunes).

Perhaps if the file management isn't automatically done, there could be a option to update file names/directories using rip file name/directory settings (y'all have the ability to create filenames and directories using the CD information, it seems like a batch file management option a la foobar2000 might work better).
Old 31st May 2014, 20:55   #376
musicf8
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhayes View Post
Perhaps if the file management isn't automatically done, there could be a option to update file names/directories using rip file name/directory settings (y'all have the ability to create filenames and directories using the CD information, it seems like a batch file management option a la foobar2000 might work better).
Personally i'd be against any kind of file changes besides updating the tag because I spent a lot of time organizing my music files and i'd be annoyed if my media player was changing the file names or whatever whenever I edited the tags. That's one (of many) of the main reasons I don't use or install itunes.
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 22:10   #377
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
I spent a lot of time organizing my music files and i'd be annoyed if my media player was changing the file names or whatever whenever I edited the tags. That's one (of many) of the main reasons I don't use or install itunes.
I couldn't agree more.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 23:23   #378
DrO

if ever something like was added (which as i note is not guaranteed at all), it would not be enabled by default and would need to be opted into with explicit confirmation of things by the user (so big warning and all that). as there was always a large call for such thing from site feedback and less so on what made it to the forums, but clearly it's something people do want, though i will reiterate that it's something which should not be enabled by default as that's not the Winamp way (other than the Winamp way allows you to do things not there by default by other plug-ins ).

and the fact that we've seen just in the few posts so far that there is complete polarity on the view point of such a feature, it makes me even more hesitant about enabling embedding of artwork into compatible files by default (despite it making file handling and especially artwork handling in the long run easier).

-----------------------------------

my only reason for possibly considering using the ml_org source code (which i've still not looked at) as a basis is because it appeared to do what people were wanting from a usability aspect (despite the known limitations, etc).

obviously to get something working it's simpler to take an existing and known version in this case since i've never bothered with such things, though you could say most of the ripping functionality does what is needed for reorganisation (path generation from tag data). so yes it might be easier to just write things from scratch, but with something that is almost there on the functionality required (even if the internals get changed in the long run, it means a faster implementation of the feature compared to going from nothing imho).
Old 1st June 2014, 00:37   #379
thunderhayes

Yeah, there's always going to be massive polarity on things like embedded artwork. Personally, I like it because it means if you copy just the mp3, you get the mp3 and artwork as well. Same with things like compilation tags being on the file vs a library database file.

And yeah, using something that's kinda working and reverse engineering it into a working product actually sounds like it's easier in terms of getting a product working quickly. Then rewrite as needed to eventually phase in all new, more optimized code that is guaranteed to work properly.

I am also for the option having to be turned on. Like the media library having to be turned on or the equalizer being turned on, if someone wants it, they tell it to do it as opposed to telling it not to do it. I think (it's been a while since I installed iTunes) iTunes enables it by default, but there is a way to tell it not to.

That's also why I brought up foobar2000, it only changes file data, not file names by default. You have to tell it if you want it to, and how you want it to, rename and move files around. It also doesn't do it unless you explicitly activate a menu option to rename/move files. I personally would be for that style, where if you update a bunch of file tags, then right click on the files and "Update file name / directories" instead of it doing it all the time like iTunes/WMP.
Old 1st June 2014, 03:09   #380
chop05

winamp just went wierd..

I was just djing and all of a sudden it quit/froze, then when trying to play a song it just scans through each song on the playlist, wont play any of them, ive tried diff files, playlists..nothing is working..any suggestions?..i even re-installed it with the same symptoms
chop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 09:29   #381
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop05 View Post
I was just djing and all of a sudden it quit/froze, then when trying to play a song it just scans through each song on the playlist, wont play any of them, ive tried diff files, playlists..nothing is working..any suggestions?..i even re-installed it with the same symptoms
Usually winamp will just scan through the playlist if the music files are offline (cant be accessed). Have you tried opening a music file with another program? If it cannot play the file then, i'm guessing your hard drive is failing.
Old 9th June 2014, 05:13   #382
Killerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop05 View Post

You "DJ" with winamp

Not only that you can't work out what it means when it automatically skips a track? Did you lose your USB stick and have to Cancel your world tour aswell?

/triplefacepalm

infact thats not even enough.
Killerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 05:34   #383
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerc View Post
You "DJ" with winamp
I was wondering that myself but decided to ignore it
Old 9th June 2014, 05:56   #384
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
...Did you lose your USB stick and have to Cancel your world tour aswell?..
you made me laugh a bit..

Anyway, I think he doesn't mean to DJ like DJ, he may be just playing some playlist while taking requests and even maybe trowing some visualisation on a big screen..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 12:24   #385
Satuim

perhaps time to close this thread and have a better more informative one with News content ONLY! (That is what I loved about the Enthusiasts Forum)

Simply Open a new thread and remove any posts non-news related.
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 09:04   #386
thunderhayes

I wonder if this forum software supports making a thread, closing it, but mods still being able to post in it? I know some forum software can do that.
Old 16th June 2014, 11:57   #387
Aminifu
Forum King

This thread has been viewed almost 4 million times since it started last January. Must be a record.

There is no need to close/lock it, imo. The site's mods have added, and will continue to add, important info related to Winamp's status to either or both of the first 2 posts in this thread.

Old 17th June 2014, 07:51   #388
djf1957

Does this mean that Winamp can not be used with Shoutcast to do an online radio show?
djf1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 10:37   #389
DrO

nope, there is nothing stopping you from using Winamp and SHOUTcast like that.
Old 17th June 2014, 23:25   #390
djf1957

how come i don't see Shoutcast in the left panel like before then?
Old 17th June 2014, 23:27   #391
DrO

it's different because shoutcast.com is currently a temporary replacement from what was provided under the AOL days. which is why what is in Winamp is nowhere near as functional as it previously was (since it was a quick solution before a new site, etc is provided) and is essentially a hack to get shoutcast.com embedded in what Winamp can use.

and your original post implied broadcasting i.e. you're creating the stream and not from a listener aspect, hence my original reply relating to broadcasting.
Old 18th June 2014, 06:47   #392
djf1957

ok, thanks DrO, you are right, I am trying to get into doing online radio, that was why I asked
Old 18th June 2014, 19:55   #393
MarkRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
This thread has been viewed almost 4 million times since it started last January. Must be a record.

There is no need to close/lock it, imo. The site's mods have added, and will continue to add, important info related to Winamp's status to either or both of the first 2 posts in this thread.
It was this specific thread that made me remove my now playing sig. During Feb/Mar 2014, 90% of the hits to my site was from this thread:

941724 Hits 91.52% 3410149 Bytes 55.94% /winamp/playing.gif

The total hits to my domain went up 10 times more than avg. The main reason being that no-cache headers were being sent with it. Anyway, 95% of the views are probably search engines and bots and not real people.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 20:04   #394
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
It was this specific thread that made me remove my now playing sig. During Feb/Mar 2014, 90% of the hits to my site was from this thread:

941724 Hits 91.52% 3410149 Bytes 55.94% /winamp/playing.gif

The total hits to my domain went up 10 times more than avg. The main reason being that no-cache headers were being sent with it. Anyway, 95% of the views are probably search engines and bots and not real people.
This was the right time for adding commercial ads to your website and you missed it.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 22:38   #395
MarkRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
This was the right time for adding commercial ads to your website and you missed it.
Well, not really. It was only the .gif file that was being "hit" and not actual visits to my website proper. Those links are still in my signature.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 05:43   #396
chop05

Quote:
You "DJ" with winamp

Not only that you can't work out what it means when it automatically skips a track? Did you lose your USB stick and have to Cancel your world tour aswell?

/triplefacepalm

infact thats not even enough.
you guys are funny, I "dj" on a VR game(Inworldz.com) I stream with shoutcast.
chop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 23:56   #397
slickdaddyo

I HAD the pro version of winamp (on my Android phone), but it kept freezing up, so I uninstalled, and went to install from Google play, and it is nowhere to be found. I had an older version backed up, installed it, and now I can't get the "pro" features to update.
Any idea what's going on?

TIA
slickdaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:10   #398
DrO

everything with Winamp for Android (WAFA) post-sale is in a grey area due to how the pro aspects were handled. my understanding is that those parts should still be accessible as long as you're using the same account, but i'm not 100% certain on that and since WAFA was completely pulled from all of the stores before the sale happened, it could all be related to that and that until there is a new WAFA version (depending on when / what that may be like), the old AOL provided WAFA Pro parts may just not work / be accessible. am sure i'll be corrected if any of the above is wrong...
Old 24th June 2014, 06:02   #399
Sliph

Registered just to say I'm glad you guys are coming back eventually. Have been using winamp for years and was sad to see it go.
Sliph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 11:03   #400
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

New SHOUTcast site just launched :-)
www.shoutcast.com

Phase 1 complete....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion