Old 27th April 2014, 15:48   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
BUG: alt+3 on a mp3 causes crash

ok, so I'm not sure if I have the 3516 dll, the 3512 one, or the beta 105 that was pulled, but I suspect I have the 105.

anyway, when I alt+3 this file, winamp immediately crashes. can anyone reproduce?

it seemed to check out as ok in mp3val and mp3tag, all I see "odd" is an embedded art, but other embeds don't seem to cause an issue. I can read/refresh the metadata and play the file.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 15:49   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, I can't upload the 9meg mp3 as a zip b/c winamp servers still can't handle uploads properly:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

--
Old 27th April 2014, 15:53   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81wb9uytaf...0My%20Baby.mp3

--
Old 27th April 2014, 16:21   #4
DrO

knowing what version of in_mp3.dll you're using is imperative (especially as 105 is not supported).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 16:45   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

it appears to be the 105 ver, if I can trust the file properties. but the mp3 file might provoke the bug in the other versions as well.

I assume the feedback is useful even if not supported, since presumably the next released dll will have evolved from 105?

--
Old 27th April 2014, 18:19   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, the next version will have evolved from v4.103, which is the recommended and only supported version of in_mp3
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

in_mp3 v.4.104, included with the 5.6.6.3516 distro is bugged, and 105 was accidentally leaked and should never have been made available.

I can't reproduce any crash with that mp3 file when using 5.666 build 3516 and in_mp3 v4.103

p.s. I'll take a look at the attachment issue...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 18:30   #7
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I can't reproduce it with a 3516 install (without regressing in_mp3.dll to ver 3512) with the linked file. There's also no artwork in that linked file. I also tried with in_mp3.dll v 3512, no issues.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 19:41   #8
DrO

i've replicated a crash using the internal code for the plug-in which has moved on from where it was with the last build (which is based on 103/104 but with different fixes for the issues which 105 attempted to resolve after the 104 debacle).

the issue is down to the embedded artwork which is not reporting a correct mime type and we're then crashing due to not handling that correctly (i need to dig deeper into what is actually wrong - since mp3tag doesn't like it at all but i can see the artwork correctly). it's only going to happen on the alt+3 dialog due to it trying to provide more information about the artwork on the page.

the fix for the crash is simple and already done at the time of this reply, but like i've said above, i'll need to dig deeper into what's in the tag itself to see what we should be reporting for it or not (as the attached image shows what i'm seeing on the UI after making the crash fix).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hung_up.png
Views:	312
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	51131  
Old 28th April 2014, 00:28   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, this just got really bizarre... that's NOT the artwork that I see. and obviously "fresh cream" is not the right artwork either for an Isaac Hayes song.

DrO, are you sure that artwork is not as a result of a cream cover file in that folder? I know it says embedded...

but anyway, this is going to take some explaining, and I don't have proof just observations, so bear with me:

that mp3 was DL'd from the internet. turns out that in my dir/folder, I had the correct artwork placed there by WMP, the typical 4 system/hidden files. I've attached the Folder.jpg

when that is in the folder with the mp3 and I do alt+3, winamp crashes. if I take it out of the folder and do alt+3, no crash!

however, I see no artwork in alt+3 at all when it opens.

so I am curious how you got the crash to reproduce if no artwork was in the folder?

I also don't see any artwork in mp3tag, but it does report something as being in there, possibly a png, which it says is 0x0 and 161KB. so, mp3tag reports that it has an embedded cover, BUT it does NOT show me any kind of cover, and that's with or without the folder.jpg in the folder.

in the winamp display pane funnily enough, if the folder.jpg is in there and I do a manual refresh, it works, and if it isn't in there, llama.

(and something I discovered from this, is that the two other i.hayes mp3s I have in that folder, were displaying a different, older, pre-WMP placed folder.jpg artwork. so winamp was displaying, for those two, a cached version and not replacing it with the newer artwork, even after rescans; and yet it WAS displaying the WMP one for the one mp3 I linked above, so it seems as if the bug also somehow provoked an automatic artwork display refresh??? ...unless I manually did that one some time ago and don't recall doing so)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	51133  

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 28th April 2014 at 03:11.
Old 28th April 2014, 04:14   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, I forgot to add an important point to the above...

when the Folder.jpg was in the folder with the mp3 linked above, windows explorer would show the file icon the way it does when a mp3 has an embed, the art becomes the icon. (the other two just had normal icons, no sign of embeds)

that's why I thought that pic was also embedded in the file. but now, after I've taken the Folder.jpg out of the folder, and then put it back, it no longer does that. it just has the winamp lighting bolt icon look my other non-embed-files would normally have.

so its just another damn baffling observation, this time more about windows explorer than anything else.

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 28th April 2014 at 06:47.
Old 28th April 2014, 06:19   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

"Mp3 Diags" reports that the file has an embedded image tag, but that there is an unspecified error when trying to load the image.

I don't think Winamp should be accused of bugs when the file itself has errors. It is difficult at times to verify the integrity of files, which is why I use 2 or 3 error checkers (different apps detect different things) to examine them during my vetting process for files I don't make myself.

Winamp is more sensitive to file format structural errors than many other media players, but I think that is a good thing.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 06:21   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

wrong. if winamp * crashes * b/c of some strange art embed, that is a bug in error handling.

to be fair however, I am using 105 which is not official. not sure if DrO got a crash with released vers or only other betas/105.

--
Old 28th April 2014, 06:27   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

My opinion is not wrong. It's just an opinion that you disagree with.

Old 28th April 2014, 06:33   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

wrong. you are entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts. it is a FACT that there is a bug in the error handling of this file by winamp, when using 105. that is not an opinion, it is a fact, ergo it is entirely appropriate to "accuse" (aka demonstrate) winamp of having a bug.

again, as I said, to be fair I did not experience the bug in released vers, altho as I noted, I did not test it with released versions.

--
Old 28th April 2014, 07:00   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
it is a FACT that there is a bug in the error handling of this file by winamp, when using 105.
How do you know if this particular error is even detected? It must be detected before it can be handled. There is a practical limit on what errors can (and should) be detected.

I think users should bear some responsibility for the integrity of the files they use.

Old 28th April 2014, 07:19   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

stop spamming the thread with your nonsense. if the error isn't detected, (which is improper handling), and winamp then crashes as a result, that's what makes it a bug, duh! you're wrong, deal with it, and let the thread get back to discussing the BUG, to whatever degree it exists, be it in released or beta vers.

DrO,

my main question at this point, is why is it that I get the crash when the Folder.jpg is present in the folder, and no crash when it is not present in the folder?

I figure it has something to do with some confusion in the alt+3 art lookup when there is a mix of folder art and this bad embed, but I don't understand it, and I'm really curious if you replicated the crash without folder art in the folder?

--
Old 28th April 2014, 07:35   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
stop spamming the thread with your nonsense.
My nonsense?

You were warned (no, TOLD) not to use version 105 when you first let it be known you had it. Now you want devs to spend time over an issue you have because of it and your bad file.

However, if this leads to a better Winamp, then so be it.

Old 28th April 2014, 07:51   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

please ignore posts 11-17, and if you could answer the questions in posts 9 and 10 and the quote below to whatever degree you're able, that would be great.

thx.

Quote:
DrO,

my main question at this point, is why is it that I get the crash when the Folder.jpg is present in the folder, and no crash when it is not present in the folder?

I figure it has something to do with some confusion in the alt+3 art lookup when there is a mix of folder art and this bad embed, but I don't understand it, and I'm really curious if you replicated the crash without folder art in the folder?

--
Old 28th April 2014, 15:39   #19
DrO

as i have said in my reply, the crash i reproduced is due to not handling the missing / incorrect mime type from the tag correctly - if you're having some other crash from that unofficial build then sorry but you've not made that clear and what i've said about that version still holds true (which i'm not the only one to have said the same thing).

as what i reproduced is purely luck of the draw for who it'll crash for based on the plug-in version and existing memory values i.e. stuff that doesn't matter now it's fixed and is no need to say anything else (if you really want to know more, null pointer exception handling is what you should read up on and anything else to do with memory management in C/C++).

and my screenshot was meant as a test to see if anyone was paying attention as i know it's not the correct image and clearly the handling of failed embedded images is leading to the alternate searches being looked for (but is clearly at odds with what is shown for the origin) and was to prove my argument that folder.* is not a good thing to have enabled by default as bad tags can lead to such incorrect lookups as well!

again, that's something i'll need to sort out as part of some additional work i've got to do with artwork lookup / handling and doesn't need further discussion.
Old 28th April 2014, 16:40   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

I do appreciate the info.

to be clear, I am using 3516 winamp, clean, but with the 105 which I know is not supported. again, this report was just to help bulletproof winamp and any further development of the dll. I could solve the issue for myself asap by just deleting the faulty embed, but I thought the report and example file may help you devs.

however, I would simply add that I have it crash 100% of the time with the folder.jpg in the folder, and I have not had it crash once with the jpg out of the folder, and I tried it both ways many, many times... so it doesn't seem random to me, but I assume I am missing something in what you are trying to explain, and you don't have to try to explain further, I just wanted to point that out. u may be interested to note the weird behaviors I described in posts 9 and 10 tho.

and of course you should know by now, as detail oriented as I am in these matters, that I was paying attention. I see the point you are making about the folder.*/faulty embed conflict, its well taken, and I'm sure you'll come up with a solution.

--
Old 29th April 2014, 06:37   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
that's why I thought that pic was also embedded in the file. but now, after I've taken the Folder.jpg out of the folder, and then put it back, it no longer does that. it just has the winamp lighting bolt icon look my other non-embed-files would normally have.
I'm not able to reproduce that. My Windows Explorer shows the "Tough Guys" image in the file you provided whether there is a folder.jpg in the same folder or not. I tried adding and removing the folder.jpg several times.

It is clear that Explorer has a way of displaying that image that other apps do not. I forgot to mention this when the earlier discussion wandered off.

Old 29th April 2014, 06:59   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I'm not able to reproduce that. My Windows Explorer shows the "Tough Guys" image in the file you provided whether there is a folder.jpg in the same folder or not. I tried adding and removing the folder.jpg several times.

It is clear that Explorer has a way of displaying that image that other apps do not. I forgot to mention this when the earlier discussion wandered off.
finally, THANK YOU for contributing something useful.

...and something very interesting as well. whats so interesting is I can not get windows explorer to show that artwork as the icon at all anymore, since I took the folder.jpg out of the folder. now, that might [likely] be coincidence, b/c logically one should have nothing to do with the other.

its really interesting that windows is showing you the embed in the file, which means that somehow the art file is readable.

at mp3tag, users there extracted the artwork and couldn't get it to work even using things like infraview. so one does wonder why its working for you, how its done, and why it did use to work for me, but now no longer does?

EDIT:

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=18555

--
Old 29th April 2014, 07:04   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
finally, THANK YOU for contributing something useful.
Don't get me started, again. You know how sensitive I am.

Old 29th April 2014, 07:12   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

I just added an edit and reread the mp3tag thread, and there is now some clarity to the issue, but some questions remain, see the link above.

--
Old 29th April 2014, 07:52   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Well DetlevD (over at the mp3tag forum) did not say how he knew which 9 bytes where missing in the image header. If they are included elsewhere in the file, it's reasonable to assume Explorer has a way of finding them and repairing the image internally. If they are not in the file, Explorer must have a way of determining what they should be.

I still think this is beyond what Winamp should be expected to do, unless it is real simple. Everything we've tried, except for Explorer, has not been able to do it by default and your version of Explorer won't do it again. Have you tried moving the file to another folder?

Old 29th April 2014, 09:15   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

he seemed to imply there were two "pieces" of code severed in the file which he put together again.

as to winamp fixing such a break, I agree it's outside the scope of what winamp should be expected to do, although if it can do it within reason, it probably should, however my initial problem was that when it encountered the issue it flat out crashed, rather than handled it gracefully. DrO will / has fixed it, so my goal in reporting the crash has been accomplished, which is helping winamp to become more robust.

when I moved the file to another folder, it didn't fix it. it really is baffling b/c it showed the art for years and only stopped after I moved the Folder.jpg, which should be unrelated and yet maybe a relationship does exist there as it does in winamp's alt+3. but why I can't get it to come back at all, yet u see it right away, its just very mysterious.

--
Old 29th April 2014, 09:47   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

I agree that having an external image in the folder should not matter. Maybe your local file was further damaged in the crash. Download the copy you posted and try that.

Old 29th April 2014, 11:14   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

what I posted was the local copy POST crash... but I might have some backups somewhere I can test to see if they display via windows explorer. that will take time tho.

--
Old 29th April 2014, 11:38   #29
Aminifu
Forum King

Quicker to download what you posted. It can't hurt. Maybe something else inadvertent happened to what you currently have after you posted it. Now you have me curious, our Explorers should not be acting differently in this respect.

Old 29th April 2014, 13:37   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Quicker to download what you posted. It can't hurt. Maybe something else inadvertent happened to what you currently have after you posted it.
maybe something else did happen, but this issue happened post crash yet before I posted the file/thread; I actually saw/witnessed the file icon change when it happened.

Quote:
Now you have me curious, our Explorers should not be acting differently in this respect.
exactly, and so I will DL it just to rule it out, but I don't think it will matter.

there are more posts at mp3tag that clarify other things.

--
Old 29th April 2014, 22:47   #31
Aminifu
Forum King

The files somehow being different would have been the easy answer for the Explorer image display discrepancy. It appears to be something else which won't be as easy to resolve as other Explorer discrepancies we've had.

Anyway, as to the main thing i.e. error handling. Looks like you have helped improve Winamp and possibly Mp3tag. That's a good 2 for 1.

Did you run that file through mp3val? If you did, with all the errors in it, it is unsettling that did not detect most (if not all) of them. I sometimes use mp3val as a backup to mp3diags and it will be a pain to have to find something else that checks for multiple errors.

I'm very meticulous in checking for structural errors before I commit a file to my library. I'm still using v4.104 of in_mp3.dll and have not had any problems (even the Gracenote playlist generator works for me) with build 5316, after removing/replacing 'bad' 3rd party plug-ins. I'm kinda hoping for a problem in order to reveal flaws in my vetting process. I'm pretty much convinced that bad (non-spec) data structure is the main reason many users have problems with Winamp (other than the bugs discovered from time to time).

In any event, 'bad' files should not be allowed to cause Winamp to crash. So anything reasonably done to help avoid that is a positive.

Old 30th April 2014, 23:28   #32
DrO

i've finally had a chance to work on this. as such we weren't handling the (incorrectly formatted) value in the APIC tag for the mimetype (we were only expecting image/* instead of just * as with the case of that file). so now we're able to pull the type from these other types of files (which i'm sure is at odds with the expected values but meh, when is anything correctly with ID3v2.x anyway).

additionally i've altered our handling of the origin information so it'll now better cope with cases where there's incomplete embedded artwork and the actual artwork shown is from another source (so it'll show as folder.* now for that file for me which is correct).

as for the bad artwork in the file, it's missing 9 bytes from the start of the file which makes up the PNG file header and by pre-pending them to the start of the data pulled from the APIC frame it's possible to get a working image (like is noted in the other thread). why it's been stored / created missing those bytes i don't know and is at odds with what i've seen elsewhere, but there you go. i probably shouldn't but i'm going to leave the code i put in place to attempt to get a working png file from bad png frames (since i've written it and with the other handling changes, it's not going to have a negative impact compared to skipping over slightly incorrect pieces of artwork).

so as far as i'm now concerned, the actual issues in our code have now been resolved (the initial crash and showing the incorrect origin) and that should leave artwork in a better position than it was (as there were a few other edge cases i found whilst checking over things).
Old 1st May 2014, 03:58   #33
MrSinatra
Forum King

that's great DrO, nice to see winamp harden even against niche stuff like this.

be sure to give the mp3tag link another read, some interesting and similar things as to what you said, but perhaps some differing conclusions? not all of which are seemingly resolved:

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=18555

--
Old 1st May 2014, 09:14   #34
DrO

from what we're extracting from the frame, the stored image doesn't have the header bytes (unless it's been shifted so it ends up mangling the frame header - I didn't check that since our handling just looks for anything and the lookup worked as expected so maybe what is suposed is right but I'm not sure it is).

whatever the case, its a weird file and how / what created it is doing something wrong (and I definitely cannot see artwork from it in explorer without fixing the image in the file itself).
Old 1st May 2014, 09:30   #35
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i probably shouldn't but i'm going to leave the code i put in place to attempt to get a working png file from bad png frames (since i've written it and with the other handling changes, it's not going to have a negative impact compared to skipping over slightly incorrect pieces of artwork).
I can only view it as a positive (although a slippery slope) that you're willing to have Winamp compensate for format errors (in headers and data) when possible.

Would it be feasible to have a log generated when these kind of errors are encountered? Maybe users would try to fix or replace 'bad' files if they knew about them. Or am I dreaming?

Old 1st May 2014, 09:35   #36
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
whatever the case, its a weird file and how / what created it is doing something wrong (and I definitely cannot see artwork from it in explorer without fixing the image in the file itself).
That is curious, since I still see it in Explorer and MrS once did. But it is not worth a lot of bother, imo.

Old 1st May 2014, 09:52   #37
DrO

Quote:
Would it be feasible to have a log generated when these kind of errors are encountered? Maybe users would try to fix or replace 'bad' files if they knew about them. Or am I dreaming?
was thinking of something to indicate files with artwork issues but need to have a think about how it could be done if I can get around to doing something (or a ui element like the origins part).

and with that now onto doing some additional tweaks to the artwork handling to cut down duplicate lookup requests (which should save a bit of time on loading the ALT+3 dialog and on any skins / plug-ins requiring artwork (as from looking into this issue, we're doing 4 lookups of the artwork on loading the ALT+3 dialog which isn't good for multi-megabyte artwork).
Old 1st May 2014, 10:23   #38
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... (as from looking into this issue, we're doing 4 lookups of the artwork on loading the ALT+3 dialog which isn't good for multi-megabyte artwork).
Good luck with that. From my side of the fence that sounds very wrong. I guess it made sense or was expedient for some coder at some point.

Old 1st May 2014, 10:27   #39
DrO

well it was only meant to be two lookups at most (artwork and origin information), but turns out things are re queried more often than i thought (so could be blamed on me when i added the origin lookup, but it doesn't help with the double lookup that was present beforehand). anyhoo, nothing like doing a bit of code optimisation... now if only we could strip out the rating code, that'd save loads of resources
Old 1st May 2014, 13:20   #40
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
from what we're extracting from the frame, the stored image doesn't have the header bytes (unless it's been shifted so it ends up mangling the frame header - I didn't check that since our handling just looks for anything and the lookup worked as expected so maybe what is suposed is right but I'm not sure it is).

this is all certainly above my head, but detlevd seems to suggest the image file actually is fine in its header. so I'm not clear from all these posts if the image file itself is truly corrupt or not, or if it is just the id3 frame header, but it sounds like he might be saying that.

something else that's curious is that in his last post he mentions a special case about the APIC frame which may require a change to mp3tag, but he doesn't say what exactly.

so anyway, I am 100% with whatever and however you decide to handle all this, I just wanted to keep you abreast of the new posts at mp3tag.

the windows explorer thing is also very curious, but def outside the scope of anything winamp should care about.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
bug