Old 27th August 2012, 07:31   #1
jukkis88

Winamp + auto tag + crash

I use latest Winamp Media Player 5.63. OS is Windows 7 x64 and it's fully updated.
I select all my songs in playlist and I select auto tag. After ~5-15 min Winamp crash. It just crash, so I can't give more information =/
I just hope you guys find this bug and you can fix it.
jukkis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 10:12   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
english winamp?

file format? any weird characters in the songs? how many songs? same crash if you autotag from the ML instead?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 15:00   #3
jukkis88

English winamp.
Only mp3 format files.
about ~2000 songs.
ML?

Auto tag worked before. I can't remember, what version winamp it was, when I last time auto tag files.

植松伸夫 & 浜崎あゆみ only two files, what are "weird characters".
Old 27th August 2012, 15:10   #4
DrO

all of the issues being reported about this feature not working point to a problem in the gracenote dlls which provide the functionality as i can get repeated crashes at the end of the final stage of scanning when trying to scan my library before being able to use it (even with a single file). what is the actual cause i'm not sure other than it shows as being about 8 layers down in one of the gracenote dlls and without that aspect completing, none of the scanning process will complete so that Winamp can then save the information. so sadly at the moment there is little i think you can try to resolve this.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 22:28   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

i use autotag quite a bit, but usually never more than 20 or so files at a time. but i have yet to have it crash on me.

so far the reports i see seem to indicate the crash is more likely if the tag or filename seem to have "weird" characters in them, ie. foreign or punctuation, etc.

DrO, is there anything like that in your crashing file? also, when you say scanning above, you just mean autotag processing, right?

--
Old 27th August 2012, 22:50   #6
DrO

i've seen the other recent posts where people seem to think it's due to punctuation but i think is a white elephant in the room and if it was the tag at fault then it would be failing at an earlier stage and not in stage 4 (tags are processes in stage 2).

there was punctuation in my full library but not in the small number of test files (including when i did it with a single test file) that i sent at it which also show the issue. all i know is that i've had a stack dump which goes 8 layers down into the gracenote dlls which is where everything gets done and it appears to be some sort of corruption but what i really cannot tell.

-daz
Old 29th August 2012, 11:19   #7
jukkis88

"Weird characters" like these two, do not cause this problem. It worked before and I auto tag only these two files and it worked well... Maybe, I try auto tag too much files... I don't know...
Old 31st August 2012, 14:32   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I just saw one of those other posts about this. It isn't crashing for me at the moment. Win7 x64, latest winamp, all that jazz.

Just did an Auto-Tag on Sinéad O'Connor and Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime albums and it is behaving for me. Accents, Umlauts, Apostrophes, colons all fine.

Have been doing a fair bit of auto-tagging to check TAGs on some new FLAC and MP3 files. Never seen a crash.

I assume if the crash is happening on a list of tracks, then that list could be shortened down to pick a specific example it crashes on. Maybe Gracenote has added a taste filter and crashes when it hears bad music now?
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 09:21   #9
WordTickler

Over 100,000 song used to research this...

I have an extensive library of about 130,000+ mp3's and have been auto-tagging many of them over a period of a year. In my experience, certain mp3 files will crash the auto-tagger, that is, specific mp3 files.

Currently I have a cache of these files--which pass the mp3 muster on any other account--wherein every single time I try to auto tag these specific files, Winamp crashes.

I'd very much like to cut through all the red tape and get these mp3 files to the developer of the auto tag feature. If anyone could assist me in this, I'd be greatly appreciative.

My Best,

WordTickler
wordtickler@wordticklers.com
WordTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 09:28   #10
WordTickler

I should also point out what I have already done to try and determine why this is occurring.

I would take, say, 50 files and auto tag them. Watching the Auto Tag window, I would see the program crash when a specific file enters the "processing" phase of the Auto Tag process. If I remove that particular file from the Auto Tag process, the other 49 files process fine. The real annoyance is narrowing down which file crashed during "processing" when I use a fast computer--Winamp is very professionally multithreaded. I have to use a slow computer to see the particular "processing" crash or else, say, 10 files in the list will display "processing" simultaneously.

On a slower computer, I can catch the culprit.
Old 7th March 2013, 09:38   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi WordTickler,

AFAIK, Winamp is not multi-threaded. But if you use a multi-core CPU, the OS will assign the threads to different cores as different songs play or are processed.

If you put some of your problem files on one of the sharing sites and post a link to them, I'm pretty sure one of the devs will take a look at them.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 10:06   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Among a few thoughts....

If you take a single bad MP3 and open it to look at the File Info via the Media Library - does it still crash if you use the Auto Tag button in there?

Get hold of a copy of mp3val and see if it can find fault with any of those tracks.

Get hold of a copy of mp3tag and see if that can be used to "clean up" the tags. Is it possibly a specific tag like in the other thread you posted in where the disk tag was the issue.

(Both mp3val and mp3tag are very handy tools to have around with a big MP3 library)

The more we can help to narrow this down, the more likely it will get a fix.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:32   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

WT,

after checking the files with mp3val and mp3tag, i would look for odd characters or diacritics. if not in the source already, perhaps in gracenote?

do u strip other unnecessary tag types?

a plugin list and winamp ver would prob also be helpful.

--
Old 15th March 2013, 08:14   #14
WordTickler

Out of all my songs, 39 of them fail during auto tag. I have placed them in my DropBox for anyone to play with. If you find out why they are crashing the auto tag process, please post any known solution here. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ll531l22e...AutoTagKillers
Old 15th March 2013, 08:28   #15
WordTickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Among a few thoughts....

If you take a single bad MP3 and open it to look at the File Info via the Media Library - does it still crash if you use the Auto Tag button in there?

Get hold of a copy of mp3val and see if it can find fault with any of those tracks.

Get hold of a copy of mp3tag and see if that can be used to "clean up" the tags. Is it possibly a specific tag like in the other thread you posted in where the disk tag was the issue.

(Both mp3val and mp3tag are very handy tools to have around with a big MP3 library)

The more we can help to narrow this down, the more likely it will get a fix.
Well, I ran mp3val on all 39 files with the auto tag problem and every single one had the error "Garbage at the end of the file". I used mp3val's repair feature and it said it repaired every one of them. Then I went and used auto tag again and the very first one still crashed the auto tag (even though mp3val says it is now "ok").

Again, all 39 of my AutoTagKillers are here if anyone wants to troubleshoot them:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ll531l22e...AutoTagKillers
Old 15th March 2013, 08:32   #16
WordTickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
WT,

after checking the files with mp3val and mp3tag, i would look for odd characters or diacritics. if not in the source already, perhaps in gracenote?

do u strip other unnecessary tag types?

a plugin list and winamp ver would prob also be helpful.
I've tried 4 different versions of Winamp and the Auto Tag feature fails on all 4. I'm using v.5.63 released June 28, 2012. Only the standard plugins that came with Winamp are installed.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:22   #17
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Where did these files come from? Are they hand ripped or P2P?

There are some P2P networks full of trash, buggy and incomplete files. Could be why these are playing up on you.

Do they PLAY okay for you? Or do you hear noise in them?

Okay - this is odd. I downloaded Frank Sinatra. Slung it into my Playlist. Opened File Info (<ALT>+3) and used auto-tag in there fine. No crash.

So I grabbed them all, added to the library, and SendTo -> Autotag crashed on the same file.

Now I am curious. I add all your tracks to my library. Select them all. Now Right click and open file info. I can no go through all of them, one by one, hitting Auto-Tag, OK, Auto-Tag, OK, etc.

When selected like this, Winamp presents them one by one to be looked at. And in every case I see the Tag info updating and then save and go on to the next.

The crash is in the Send To code only.

And now I have "fixed" the MP3 Tags using the <CTRL>+3 method, Send To is happily looking the files up and suggesting tags. I see them all get to the "Queried" stage and can see suggested details for them... and now it crashes. I think it crashed once all of them had been looked up, but before I get a chance to do any changes.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:57   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
And now I have "fixed" the MP3 Tags using the <CTRL>+3 method, Send To is happily looking the files up and suggesting tags. I see them all get to the "Queried" stage and can see suggested details for them... and now it crashes. I think it crashed once all of them had been looked up, but before I get a chance to do any changes.
What is the <CTRL>+3 method? Did you mean <Alt>+3? I stopped using Winamp's auto-tagging a few versions ago because I did not like the Gracenote results. Too many times they were wrong.

Could be something on the Gracenote end, similar to the issue some are having making playlists from a 'seed' song. But it does seem you have found a problem with how "Send to:" is doing things.

Old 15th March 2013, 13:36   #19
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Whoops - well spotted. I meant <ALT>+3 (Got it right first time, not second...)

But as you can see from my quick test, Auto-Tag in Winamp is fine. And works on all those files. IF the tagging is done from the separate "File Info" window and not from the bulk Send To window.

It is something about the Send To list that goes pop. This is before any changes are applied. It just goes pop as the list settles down to show you the suggested results.

Yeah, gracenote can sometimes be hit and miss. Usually not too bad with the stuff I do. I always review it afterwards. Have used freedb with EAC the other night and that has bugs and errors in it too. Trouble is that not everyone is as conscientious as we are
Old 15th March 2013, 14:59   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Whoops - well spotted. I meant <ALT>+3 (Got it right first time, not second...)
Ok, I thought so.

As for the "Send to:" issue, a dev's job is never done. That's life.

Quote:
Yeah, gracenote can sometimes be hit and miss. Usually not too bad with the stuff I do. I always review it afterwards. Have used freedb with EAC the other night and that has bugs and errors in it too. Trouble is that not everyone is as conscientious as we are
I've yet to find a source with what I would call a great 'hit - miss' error rate. Those that rely solely on user input seem to be the worst. But, that's why I always 'vet' my files (for content and structural errors) and attempt to fix (or replace) them before I add them to my Winamp monitored collection. I believe that's why I don't have the problems others have with their libraries.

Old 15th March 2013, 15:01   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

do individual "send to's" crash it? how do you do the send to?

i typically use the button in the top center panel to the right of the player controls in bento for whatever is currently playing, OR i right click an album art icon and send an album. but i have not had a crash using either way that i recall.

--
Old 15th March 2013, 15:05   #22
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The crash is only relevant to the selection of tracks supplied above via Dropbox. Something is buggy with these that Winamp freaks out on.

I have tagged thousands of tracks with the Send To\AutoTag option before and never ever seen a crash. Yet these all trigger the same crash.

The way the above crash occurs it is clear the lookup of the data is not at fault (otherwise the AutoTag in <Alt>+3 would also crash). There is something freaky happening when it tries to present the results in the dialog box. Yet only for those dodgy tracks - either one at a time or en-mass.
Old 15th March 2013, 15:16   #23
DrO

is again the Gracenote dlls freaking out and i've no means to track the issue further other than it's failing in CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll about 7 method calls in.
Old 15th March 2013, 15:33   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
is again the Gracenote dlls freaking out and i've no means to track the issue further other than it's failing in CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll about 7 method calls in.
That's a shame. Are these library files provided by Gracenote? Is there anything we, as users, can do to put pressure on them to look at (and possibly fix) these files?

Or are the API calls not working as they have stated? Or have you not been able to tell (with the limited tools and time you have)?

Old 15th March 2013, 15:34   #25
WordTickler

Wow. Good info guys. How do we get the responsible developer to see all this?
Old 15th March 2013, 15:37   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
but what is different to those DLLs about the send to?

why would the DLLs care how they are invoked? why does the send to provoke it?

--
Old 15th March 2013, 15:55   #27
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
That's a shame. Are these library files provided by Gracenote? Is there anything we, as users, can do to put pressure on them to look at (and possibly fix) these files?
it is files provided by them. obviously the dlls shouldn't crash but i don't know if it's their issue or if it's ours [Winamp's]. and it is just more obvious when using the send-to dialog method than other ones for an unknown reason to me at the moment as the calls are all using the same key flags (just some are told to be async and others aren't if already done in their own thread).

Quote:
Or are the API calls not working as they have stated? Or have you not been able to tell (with the limited tools and time you have)?
i've just spent 10mins having a fiddle with what we use and what we tell the dlls for it's configuration and dropping a flag allows the 'killer' files to go through, but there's no details on what the flag is meant to do (am trying to find out as initially i thought it was an async issue but doesn't seem to be) so i don't know if it's breaking any specifically needed results, etc or what.

[edit]
the flag is needed, though someone with a bit more knowledge about things will hopefully have a look into it in the coming days.
Old 15th March 2013, 16:03   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

i should also add to my previous post, what is it about these files that exposes the send to issue?

very very strange.

--
Old 15th March 2013, 16:10   #29
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTickler View Post
Wow. Good info guys. How do we get the responsible developer to see all this?
Not the Winamp devs, this is Gracenote. You'd have to contact them as this is their bug. Nothing Winamp can do.

But the nice thing is this is only a small number of dodgy files. It is so rare to see this. Did you get these from P2P? Or rip them yourself?
Old 15th March 2013, 16:13   #30
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
but what is different to those DLLs about the send to?

why would the DLLs care how they are invoked? why does the send to provoke it?
Imagine a DLL (Dynaically Linked Library) as a black box. Like your microwave oven. The Winamp Devs have instructions of what to put in (the ingredients) and what they should get out (dinner) but have no idea of what happens on the inside or how it goes about the task.

For all we know it could be magic pixies in that box...

In this case, something upsets those pixies and they throw a strop. But because that is inside the black box there is no way to tell what upset them. Apart from experimenting by tweaking the ingredients. Which you now see DrO is doing.... playing with the Magic Undocumented Pixie Flag. (Yeah - DLLs often have undocumented "features" that only the original builder of the DLL knows what they do)
Old 15th March 2013, 16:15   #31
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Not the Winamp devs, this is Gracenote. You'd have to contact them as this is their bug. Nothing Winamp can do.
Did you read post #27? The source of the fault has not been determined yet.

Old 15th March 2013, 16:31   #32
MrSinatra
Forum King

[to BP] i understand that but what i don't get is how "send to" is different than alt+3, or why these few files expose it?

are they all VBR? what specific encoder was used to make em?

i sent a msg here, it would prob help if you all sent one too:

http://www.gracenote.com/company/contact/

--
Old 15th March 2013, 16:33   #33
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Did you read post #27? The source of the fault has not been determined yet.
Yes. I read the whole thread. The Gracenote DLLs, as supplied by Gracenote, are failing when Winamp calls them from their code.

Winamp Devs will not know how the Gracenote library operates inside. As you can see by DrNo's post above, he is working with experimenting with calls to this library but because he cannot single step the code he will not be able to spot the actual crash. That is in source code that Gracenote own and release only in the form of a library. A black box.

As an ex-developer myself I know how frustrating this is as I both used SDKs and created SDKs for other people to make use of. You can supply everything to the exact spec of the function call, but there was some little oddity that then upsets the library. For example, Winamp itself is pretty hardy when it comes to dealing with corrupted MP3s - but it looks like there is something "special" about these MP3s that then freaks out the Gracenote Dll.
Old 15th March 2013, 16:35   #34
DrO

nice one, sending something when it's not been confirmed where the point of issue lays - way to go with wasting people's time. is no wonder no one else on the dev team posts on here anymore.

it was said that it's not clear where the issue lays and that we will check things on _our_ side first as the flag is related to trying to use Winamp's native functionality so it is most likely a Winamp issue but is just that the last point in the call stack is in the Gracenote dlls (that is all you need to know).

[edit]
Batter Pudding's post hadn't been there when i started to reply.
Old 15th March 2013, 16:39   #35
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Winamp Devs will not know how the Gracenote library operates inside. As you can see by DrNo's post above, he is working with experimenting with calls to this library but because he cannot single step the code he will not be able to spot the actual crash. That is in source code that Gracenote own and release only in the form of a library. A black box.

As an ex-developer myself I know how frustrating this is as I both used SDKs and created SDKs for other people to make use of. You can supply everything to the exact spec of the function call, but there was some little oddity that then upsets the library.
Noted and understood. Been there and done that!

Old 15th March 2013, 16:46   #36
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@MrS: Yes, it is an interesting puzzle that a single one of these MP3 files sent via ALT+3 works. Yet a list of tracks fails. As we don't know how the library works this could be a simple difference of how a list of tracks are passed to the library.

Libraries I've worked with past could work in different ways when it came to multiple files. Sometimes they would want a linked list. Othertimes an array. Othertimes wanting the data packed into a buffer.

What is most interesting to me is watching the crash on a long list of tracks. When you load ALL those tracks up and pump them at Send To -> AutoTag you see then all resolve and get to the "Queried" stage and the crash seems to happen once the last track is at the "Queried" state. i.e. they all seem to finished the main part of the lookup ("Analyzing") and then fail as the last one returns on that list. Yet none of them reach the final "Done" state.

Yet this crash only happens on these tracks. Anything else will still lookup fine.

MrS - have you downloaded these tracks to have a look? I know you are a bit of a Whizz with MP3Val and stuff like that. Maybe you can spot something funky that shouldn't be in there? They are all of a horrendously compressed quality. Different rippers, different qualities, different types of rip, with and without embedded artwork (just compared a few with Media Info)

My guess is these are from P2P and may now always have "completed". So could have all kinds of cruddy quality issues in there. Some of the P2P networks have horrendous crud on them as I assume this is where these come from.
Old 15th March 2013, 16:51   #37
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
nice one, sending something when it's not been confirmed where the point of issue lays - way to go with wasting people's time. is no wonder no one else on the dev team posts on here anymore.
always glad to help!

if anyone else would like to whip me for no reason, feel free.

--
Old 15th March 2013, 16:51   #38
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:

it was said that it's not clear where the issue lays and that we will check things on _our_ side first as the flag is related to trying to use Winamp's native functionality so it is most likely a Winamp issue but is just that the last point in the call stack is in the Gracenote dlls (that is all you need to know).

[edit]
Batter Pudding's post hadn't been there when i started to reply.
I love a puzzle and digging into possible solutions. But I also agree that we should not be shouting at anyone, especially Gracenote and you guys at Winamp. This is a puzzle built around some known corrupted MP3s. And compared with the tens of thousands of tracks I have passed through Winamp's Auto-tag these few are a tiny drop in the ocean.

PATIENCE is required from everyone. Especially those hassling Gracenote.

And even more importantly - it is way past Beer O'Clock!!
Old 15th March 2013, 16:59   #39
MrSinatra
Forum King

had he said that PRIOR to my post, i wouldn't have messaged gracenote. but he didn't, he blamed the DLLs. Aminifu suggested contacting gracenote and so i did. no malice intended, no intention to hassle anyone, and without a doubt, no cause to heap shit at me. no good deed goes unpunished.

--
Old 15th March 2013, 17:05   #40
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
@MrS: Yes, it is an interesting puzzle that a single one of these MP3 files sent via ALT+3 works. Yet a list of tracks fails. As we don't know how the library works this could be a simple difference of how a list of tracks are passed to the library.
a single "sent to" file fails as well.

Quote:
Libraries I've worked with past could work in different ways when it came to multiple files. Sometimes they would want a linked list. Othertimes an array. Othertimes wanting the data packed into a buffer.
i understand, but a single sent to also fails.

Quote:
What is most interesting to me is watching the crash on a long list of tracks. When you load ALL those tracks up and pump them at Send To -> AutoTag you see then all resolve and get to the "Queried" stage and the crash seems to happen once the last track is at the "Queried" state. i.e. they all seem to finished the main part of the lookup ("Analyzing") and then fail as the last one returns on that list. Yet none of them reach the final "Done" state.
i think i have seen my single sent to get to "Processed" and then crash, so i felt it was when results were being returned? just a guess.

Quote:
Yet this crash only happens on these tracks. Anything else will still lookup fine.

MrS - have you downloaded these tracks to have a look? I know you are a bit of a Whizz with MP3Val and stuff like that. Maybe you can spot something funky that shouldn't be in there? They are all of a horrendously compressed quality. Different rippers, different qualities, different types of rip, with and without embedded artwork (just compared a few with Media Info)

My guess is these are from P2P and may now always have "completed". So could have all kinds of cruddy quality issues in there. Some of the P2P networks have horrendous crud on them as I assume this is where these come from.
i did everything i could think of on one track, Dean Martin. renamed it, vbrfix, removed all tags, etc... everything crashes winamp when doing a send to, but alt+3 works fine as u discovered.

thats why i'm looking more at the file properties, and encoder properties. i'm thinking aminifu might be best at that with his mp3diags tools.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
auto tag, crash