Old 14th January 2013, 05:08   #3601
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfuzzbubble011 View Post
Portal is one of those games that I kinda regret never playing.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
Old 14th January 2013, 05:41   #3602
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Just bought this TV bench, and tomorrow I'll venture to Ikea to pick up two of these wall shelves, and one each of these and these bookcases.

We're redoing our main living area. One 40cm-wide bookcase on the left, an 80cm-wide one on the right, spanned by the two wall shelves with the TV bench underneath.

This combo should fit almost perfectly on the 311cm-wide and 212cm-tall wall, with only 1cm to spare in width, and 10cm in height. It should also give us much-needed additional storage for books and Voltron / Masters of the Universe figurines – y'know, the important stuff.

We now need a much bigger TV to fill the void. NEED. Obviously.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	50153  

Old 16th January 2013, 18:54   #3603
Casual Mantis

Some tickets to the Lady Gaga show at Staples Center from seatcrunch. They are in the mail as we speak
Old 16th January 2013, 20:04   #3604
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
We now need a much bigger TV to fill the void. NEED. Obviously
When you do that, I'd consider a wall mount instead of a cart. First, you can just swing the TV out to get at the back of it if you need to hook up something. Second you can vacuum under it. Third, given how light TV's have gotten, you won't knock it over.
Old 17th January 2013, 01:58   #3605
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
Stanton SC System 1: SCS.1D motorized DJ controller + SCS.1M mixer
Usually costs $700 for the setup ($1100 new); I managed to snag them for ~$500 total!

I'm so happy I can finally afford my dream setup. This was a massive upgrade from the $70 happy meal toy I've been mixing with for the past 2½ years. Now all I need is a PA system, second deck (though the one can toggle through 4 turntables with a button), and dedicated PC and I can consider myself a real DJ!
Excellent.

Do you get work (or intend to do so) as a DJ? If not, that's quite a bit of money to spend on a hobby.

I like the idea of being a DJ as a job. If you do it already, does it pay well? Good hours? Easy money? Free booze? Etc.
Hell yeah it pays well, like $30-50/hr kind of well. With a couple of gigs it'll pay off itself. Drinks & drugs are usually included (how many jobs do you know where you can get payed to get fucked up?), and when you're rocking the house you get lots of love. It's the greatest job in the world.

Right now it is just a hobby, though I plan on moving up to full-time once I complete my setup, start practicing more and get a car.

Also, $500 is chump change when it comes to DJ gear. You could easily spend $10k+ building a complete DJ setup including PA, lights, projector, etc.

Right now I'm making $9/hr, so I blew almost an entire paycheck buying just these two things. I'm lucky enough to have very few bills to pay, so even if I never land a full-time job DJing I don't regret the purchase one bit.

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:02   #3606
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Projector. Ceiling mount. Easy huge screen. No more black rectangle in the middle of white decor.

(Is that racist what I just said there?)

It could work if you mount it far enough back so the shelf doesn't get in the way. Keystone adjustment will make the angles right despite a big drop from ceiling to low wall. Or you could just do a table/stand mount.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:05   #3607
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

What kind of projector (brand, model), Ted?

Personally I'd never use Keystone unless it's physical. I like me a nice 1:1 pixel ratio.

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:28   #3608
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

@ Psythik - I hope by "car" you just meant vehicle in general. As a DJ you'll need to shop for a van or a trailer-towing vehicle plus trailer. Even on small gigs, I have to use a capped pickup truck plus a trailer, or the same truck plus my wife driving a crossover SUV also jam packed (not at all practical, but we've done it that way a couple times). I suppose if I had a minivan with only front seats, I could make it work without a trailer if I was particular about how I stacked things in there, and if I left the lighting home.

DJ-ing often requires distances to travel, especially if you have a few specialties that other DJs don't have (for example, a significant number of my best paying gigs have been swing dance music). You don't want to make multiple trips with a coup, sedan, or SUV.

I've got another school job Friday where I'll just take stuff in half tomorrow and half Friday with the truck, since I have to go there every day for work anyway. That avoids getting the trailer out (seems every time I get it out I have to spend forever getting the trailer lights to work, and that's a pain, plus I think it's tag just expired).

Decent-sounding gear is bulky, heavy, and not flexible or form-fitting. Keep that in mind when you start shopping for vehicles.

Just bought - a rubber spoon/spatula that is meant for cleaning food jars and cans. I hate wasting what doesn't fall out. Small with a long handle so that it fits in small openings while reaching the bottom. Other spatulas are to big for small jars and don't clean corners well. My old one seems to always be dirty or in the dishwasher when I need it, and it has a short handle that makes me have to hold it in awkward ways.

Edit - yeah, physical lens keystone, don't mess with the pixels or else it'll look shitty.

Edit 2 - I don't know enough about HD home projectors, as the ones I use are mostly school models including SMART boards, many of which are only 1024x768. There is such thing as wireless HDMI now, so that helps.

Old 17th January 2013, 12:13   #3609
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:

We now need a much bigger TV to fill the void. NEED. Obviously.

Like hell we do.
Old 17th January 2013, 19:40   #3610
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ You NEED a much bigger TV, Shy. Didn't ya' read jaz's post. Bigger, Shinier, [] .[]
Old 18th January 2013, 10:42   #3611
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

If he gets a new, bigger tv, then I get an equivalent amount for a shopping spree

There are a couple of things I want to get from the museum gift shop!
Old 18th January 2013, 10:50   #3612
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Projector. Ceiling mount. Easy huge screen. No more black rectangle in the middle of white decor.
Last week I visited friends who very recently upgraded to this 65" TV (from here) and it looked amazing. That TV wouldn't fit vertically between the TV bench and the lower shelf (10cm too tall) but even if it did, it would still leave 43 horizontal centimetres, or 21.5 cm on each side.

What we're more likely to do is to move our existing TV further to the right, and fill in the space on the left with more shelving or another storage solution.

In reality, the 37" TV we have now is big enough for us to watch comfortably from the couch shown in the pic (which is pretty close compared to most setups, constrained by our limited space). We paid $700 for this TV a couple of years ago, not long before a big price drop where we could've gotten a 42" or 47" for the same price, but that sort of crap is to be expected with technology improving as quickly as it does.

The next time we get a new TV, it will probably be a 21:9 / 2.35:1 extra-widescreen type one. Such a TV would incidentally probably better suit the extra-widescreen-type space we currently have, but then we probably won't have that same SHAPE of space to fill by the time said new TV comes into our lives... Meh!

Old 18th January 2013, 10:52   #3613
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

More importantly, I've got my eye on a few 8" Thundercats action figures which would keep He-Man, Voltron, Battle-Cat, Transformer Anakin and Transformer Obi-Wan company.

Also: I last bought a Logitech F310 gamepad secondhand for $15, and a Philips VOIP321 phone thingy secondhand for $20.

The former is so that Shy Jr and I can play Lego Indiana Jones together without one of us having to use the keyboard. The latter was going to be so we could take Skype Out calls at home on something other than the laptop, iPhone or iPod.. BUT it looks like it needs to be connected to a turned-on PC via USB in order to receive calls, which is shit, so I'll probably sell it on eBay for $50.

Old 19th January 2013, 19:01   #3614
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Last thing I bought ? A haircut... See attached...
Last thing I got for free ? Ben woods - this digital horizon linky
Last thing I stole ? 12 episodes of The Young Ones comedy show from the 80's, I'm sure you can find your own torrent....
Next thing I'm about to buy? Chinese takeaway food...

Hello world by the way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	50172  
Old 19th January 2013, 22:35   #3615
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Holy fuck, it's the side of your face!
First time for everything.

Last thing I bought? A $1000 mandatory counselling session to start the process of getting my drivers license back.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 19th January 2013, 22:40   #3616
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I got a tail light wire harness, passenger side parking light enclosure(?), and a driver door speaker mount. From the pick and pull type place.

There is no sig.
Old 19th January 2013, 23:09   #3617
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
Holy fuck, it's the side of your face!
First time for everything.

Last thing I bought? A $1000 mandatory counselling session to start the process of getting my drivers license back.
I thought I'd give you all a treat after 12 years of relative anonymity

Just bought some cinema tickets for tomorrow, Django Unchained ....
Old 20th January 2013, 02:16   #3618
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Portal is one of those games that I kinda regret never playing.
It's awesome, but I have this thing about games that require an internet connection when I'm not playing online. So I've been playing it on the gf's computer.

Last purchased: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136250

Even though I don't care for Blu-Ray (I wish HD-DVD would have won), I figure it's a good idea to be able to read/write in that format. Apparently, this drive can read and write all Blu-Ray formats (including BDXL), all DVD formats (including M-Disc), and all CD formats. And at 55 bucks, it's the cheapest I've seen so far. Now, if blank media would just start coming back down in price...
Old 20th January 2013, 05:39   #3619
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

That is a good price, Sarge. The same unit is $75 over here.

I was looking at a Plextor external USB 2.0 Blu-Ray reader a while back, figuring I could then hire and rip BRs instead of DVDs. At around $60 it would've paid itself off in pretty short order, but the Aus retailer never had much stock or a decent online ordering system, so I never managed to follow through with it.

Sharon's got a desktop PC (for Sims 3) so I could grab an internal drive like the one you've bought and shove it in her box.

Old 21st January 2013, 11:19   #3620
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Sharon's got a desktop PC (for Sims 3) so I could grab an internal drive like the one you've bought and shove it in her box.
Excuse me?
Old 29th January 2013, 06:37   #3621
sgtfuzzbubble011

Old 29th January 2013, 09:30   #3622
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Don't encourage him.
Old 29th January 2013, 10:46   #3623
katalog13

I bought a pair of adidas sneakers. Sorry, can`t insert image.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:43   #3624
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Laser BD1000 Blu-ray player. Fully region-free (both DVD and BR), on sale for $88.

Amazon Zone A BRs, here we come.

Old 31st January 2013, 18:23   #3625
rockouthippie
Banned

^I'm smelling a rat on BD's intentionally screwing up the ROM's on "region free" BD players. Stick a Sony BD in... get bricked? I'm not certain... just asking if you have experienced the same? Liteon BD players for computers seems especially screwed.
Old 1st February 2013, 03:12   #3626
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

People still use disc's?

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 1st February 2013, 04:13   #3627
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
One of these:

Primary Arms 30mm red dot sight.

Old 2nd February 2013, 12:35   #3628
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
People still use disc's?
Our internet i's limited to 12 GB per month. So ye's, we still use disc's.

Old 2nd February 2013, 12:36   #3629
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
^I'm smelling a rat on BD's intentionally screwing up the ROM's on "region free" BD players. Stick a Sony BD in... get bricked? I'm not certain... just asking if you have experienced the same? Liteon BD players for computers seems especially screwed.
Hadn't heard that. If it gets bricked, I'll take it back and get a new one.

Old 2nd February 2013, 14:27   #3630
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Our internet i's limited to 12 GB per month. So ye's, we still use disc's.
Damn...

Last thing I bought was an angry T-Rex.

Quote:
................................................... ..........................._,-~"¯¯"~-,
.................................................. ................__„-~"¯¯:::,-~~-,_::::"-
.................................................. ..........„~"¯::::::::::::::"::::::::::::::::::::::\
.................................................. .__„„„-"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,
..........................................__-~"::,-':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::~-,
..........................._______~"___-~"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::: :: :::::::::::"-,
......................,~"::::::::::::::¯¯::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,: |
....................:/:::::::::::::::::__-~":::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~":'\'-,:\:|:\|::\|\::\:|
...................,'::::::::,-~~"~"_::',::|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :: :::,~ ':\'-,::',"-\::'':"::::::::\|:|/
..............._,-'"~----":::/,~"¯"-:|::|::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,~"::\'-,:\;;'-';;;;;;;;;;;,-'::\::|/
............,-'::::::::::::::::'-\~"O¯_/::,'::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-',::\'-,:|::";;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:'-,::\
............|:::::::::::::::::-,_'~'::::,-'::,':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-':\'-,:\'-,';;';;;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:::'\-,|''
............|::,-~"::::::::::::::"~~":::,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~':\'-,|:"'";;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'¯::'-,:',\|
.........../::/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,„-~"¯\:\'-,|;''-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'--,::\-:\:\|
........./::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;'-';;;;',/;\/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-,|:::\-,:|\|..\|
......./:::::::\:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-~'''("-,\:::|\:|::''
......,':::::::,'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :,-'/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,--'::::::/"~'
.....,'::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,„-~"::|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'::::::::,'::::/
..../:::::::::|:::::::::::::„---~~""¯¯¯::',:::::,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,'::::::::: :: |_,-'
..,'::::::::::::",:,-~"¯::::::::"-,::::::::::|:::/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':::::::|::::,'
./:::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::\:::|¯¯¯"""~-,~,_/::::::::,':::/
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_::|::\: : : : : : |: : \::::::::/:/
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::"-':::\: : : : : : |: : :\::::::\ FUCK YOU I'M A T-REX!!!!!!!!!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::: ::::\: : : : : : \: : : |:::::;;\
::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::::/|\ ,: : : : : : : |::::,'/|::::|
:::::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::::::::::"-,_::::::::::\|:/|,: : : : : : : |::: |'-,/|:::|
::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_::::::::::::::"~-,_:::"-,/|/\::::::::::: \::: \"-/|::|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,__:::::::::::',"-,:::"_|/\:|\: : : : \::\":/|\|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_:::::\:::\:::"~/_:|:|\: : : '-,\::"::,'\
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,_:'-,::\:::::::"-,|:||\,-, : '-,\:::|-'-„
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::,-,'"-:"~,:::::"/_/::|-/\--';;\:::/: ||\-,
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :/...'-,::::::"~„::::"-,/_:|:/\:/|/|/|_/:|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: |......"-,::::::::"~-:::::""~~~"¯:::|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: |........."-,_::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\ .............."~--„_____„„-~~"

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:14   #3631
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
More importantly, I've got my eye on a few 8" Thundercats action figures which would keep He-Man, Voltron, Battle-Cat, Transformer Anakin and Transformer Obi-Wan company.
I last bought three 8" Thundercats figures, namely Lion-O, Tygra and Mumm-Ra.

These purchases were funded entirely by cafepress sales commissions, also known as "money for jam."

Old 4th February 2013, 03:57   #3632
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Superflow MV-50 Portable Air Compressor

I had been looking for something portable, but it took me a lot of posts in off-road forums and other research to finally decide on something. I was willing to buy something bigger or something with a lot more unrelated features (built-in jumpstart battery, power inverter, flashlight, etc), but most experienced guys said to stick with this, and get other things separately.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it loose in it's carry bag or suspension-mount and hard-wire it under the hood of the truck. This thing is faster and stronger than some regular big garage-type air compressors, oddly longer lasting and more powerful than many more expensive options, and yet it is very small in size. It works even better if you run a hose from it to an onboard tank; that way I could run air-powered tools from it. There are tanks that could be mounted between the inner and outer bed of the pickup, where no one could see it, with the nozzle and hose safely tucked away in the truck's storage bin and a pressure gauge and toggle switch on the dash in the cab. That whole job would take me a good 3-4 hours and a total of around $200, but for now I've only paid about 60 or this part of it. I may end up being happy just using it as is.

Also, even though the truck already has a fire extinguisher, the house didn't have enough of them. On a routine checkup at the pediatrician for the baby, I was asked if my home had them (the answer to that question changes some kind of vital scoring system they have for their patients), and I said yes, which was the truth, but I only had one at the house for a basement plus 2.5 floors (the attic has 2 really small bedrooms and an unfinished section for storage), so I figured I'd get some more. These commercial models have good metal tops (aluminum valves, steel handles, not plastic), wall mounts, and huge fire-extinguisher arrow stickers for the wall above (not pictured), although I doubt I'll use those.

Old 5th February 2013, 11:49   #3633
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Books, just a couple of books...

Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" and "The Graveyard Book" for Shy Jr.

Susan Collin's "Gregor The Overlander" series for me.

And my great-great grandfather's journal http://www.oldstonepress.com/library02.php
Old 8th February 2013, 10:05   #3634
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Today I ordered two Kogan-branded dual SIM Android 4.0 5.0" phones for $149 each plus shipping (total $336). Once they're up and running, we'll be free from iOS and iTunes, hooray!

Old 8th February 2013, 10:25   #3635
mastermind1212

i bought a ducati motorbike last month, i love speed thats why i bought this. "brummm brummm"
Old 8th February 2013, 13:54   #3636
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Last thing I bought was a TMobile Galaxy SII. So far I like it a lot. Rooted...

There is no sig.
Old 8th February 2013, 18:34   #3637
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

I haven't rooted mine yet, still not sure if I want to.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 8th February 2013, 20:38   #3638
rockouthippie
Banned

Why did you root it? I root things because they're there but? I have a rooted Kindle Fire because I wanted Google stuff on it. It can also run Android 4, but I usually don't. Why did the Galaxy make you do it?
Old 9th February 2013, 15:32   #3639
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I did it just because. And I like playing around with different ROMS until I find one I really like. And I tether things sometimes(laptop). Stock ROM usually won't let you tether.

There is no sig.
Old 10th February 2013, 00:35   #3640
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You know, that's the biggest motivation of all. "Just Because". If my students do something great or horrible, I ask why and they say "just because". Curiosity is an amazing thing, and no one gives it the credit it deserves.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions