Old 22nd October 2006, 11:11   #1
BTR

Winamp 5.3 dragging sound while playing MP3

Hi,

having installed a sound card in my system I have discovered that Winamp is having problems playing MP3 files. The problem is that the sound drags making it hard to listen to the music. When I say drags I mean that certain parts of the track will seem to have a strange echo other parts play fine.

The problem does not happen when playing the same tracks directly from CD, nor does it happen with WMP, MediaRack or MusicMatch.

I have the latest version of Winamp, with the service pack installed on top of it. I have also done a clean install of both and it makes no difference. The latest version of the sound card drivers, motherboard drivers and directX have been installed.

I have also tried all of the tips listed in the FAQ's and relevant threads on the forums. I have tried with HW acceleration on/off, with CPU control on/off, with and without primary buffer. I have varied the buffer size, have tried the various levels of DX acceleration and with the DSP on/off on the sound card. The problem however persists. I have also tried with the Fast Level 3 EQ on and off, again it made no difference.

The environment is:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 4600i
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1278MB RAM
Page File: 332MB used, 1184MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

The sound card is a SIIG SoundWave 7.1 PCI card, details can be found here:http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=107&pid=886

At this point I have run out of ideas and would welcome any suggestions as I'd prefer not to have to use WMP.

Thanks
BRT
BTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 17:10   #2
BTR

HJT Log

A second attempt to post the HJT log file. Also forgot to mention that it is the full bundle version of Winamp which is installed.

BTR
Old 22nd October 2006, 17:18   #3
BTR

Another attempt

Seems to be a problem attaching this file so now trying it as a zip

BTR
Attached Files
File Type: zip hijackthis.zip (3.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:19   #4
siebe83
Forum King

Do you get the same issue when you select waveOut instead of DirectSound under Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Output?
(note: DirectSound is recommended; merely asking to see if it's related to DirectSound output)

What are your settings under Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Playback?

Does the issue occur for all mp3 files, or only specific ones?

Note that there's an even newer in_mp3 available than the one included in the update pack:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....94#post2048094

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:22   #5
BTR

Settings

Hi,

thanks for responding. The settings under playback are Allow Surrond Sound and User Dither. I assume these are the default settings because I did not select these.

The problem is present in both directX and Wave although it is less noticeable in the latter. The problem does appear to be on all mp3's and is still present even after updating the dll file mentioned above.

I don't know if this adds anything to helping to identifying the problem but the dragging is mostly on the higher notes in the music.

Thanks
BTR
Old 23rd October 2006, 14:02   #6
BTR

More information

Hi,

I bought a new CD and ripped it on to the hard drive. I played it with Winamp and noticed that there was no dragging on the tracks.

I then tried re-ripping a CD whose MP3's were showing signs of the problem and the problem does not appear on the newly ripped tracks. The mp3's of both the odl and new rips are the same size and have the same characteristics according to the file info display in winamp.

I used the same version of CD-Xtractor to rip all files, and the only difference I can think of is that the new sound card was not in place when the orignal mp3's causing the problem for Winamp were ripped.

Hopefully this will narrow down the problem. I can provide examples of old and newly ripped mp3's if this would help.

Thanks
BTR
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:05   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

I wouldn't reccommend using that cd ripper so i'm 100% sure its the fault of those old encoders.

rippers I reccommend are as follows.
these get updated often, and lame is avaliable at (here for EAC)

CDeX - http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/index.html (free and easy to use includes LAME)
EAC - http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ (free hard to use, but by far the most professional)
or winamp pro - http://www.winamp.com ($20 well worth it easy includes LAME)

your ripper looks nasty, blade and gogo mp3 encoders suck(and are very very old). LAME is the only current encoder still in development but somehow I don't think your getting the latest version with that program.

your soundcard will have absolutely no effect on how a cd can get ripped into mp3 files.

if you upload the files somewhere we can have a look at your files, but don't expect us to fix anything major in our player for problems with 3 to 4 year old poor quality encoders.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:46   #8
BTR

Files

Hi,

I've uploaded the files to here and I'll look at using one of the rippers you suggest.

If there is a quick fix for this problem it would save having to re-rip quite a large CD collection.

Thanks

BTR
Old 23rd October 2006, 18:12   #9
siebe83
Forum King

Hi,

I cannot hear the difference between those two files. They both sound okay to me (using the in_mp3 linked to above).

Winamp does go crazy with respect to reporting the length of the track though. In the playlist it says 35:17, when it starts playing it says 6:31 in the main window, when the track is finished it's 5:45.
Moreover, in the View file info dialog (Alt+3) it reports 32kbit as bitrate, which isn't correct.

EncSpot reports...
Type : mpeg 1 layer III
Bitrate : 195
Mode : stereo
Frequency : 44100 Hz
Frames : 13250
Length : 00:05:46
Av. Reservoir : 89
Emphasis : none
Scalefac : 4.4%
Bad Last Frame : no
Encoder : Lame 3.93
Lame Header : No

--[ EncSpot 2.0 ]--[ http://www.guerillasoft.com ]--

Note that all of the above holds for both files you provided. I can't spot a difference.

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. Both files play ok for me...

As for the wrong reports of length/bitrate, you can use VBRfix to fix that:
http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.php

Maybe, just maybe that will fix the dragging sound too...

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:22   #10
BTR

vbrfix

I tried the vbrfix but it doesn't solve the problem with the sound, it does correct the timing on the tracks.

Thanks for the suggestions, it looks as if it may be something system specific which is causing the problem since others can't hear the difference in the files.

BTR
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support