Old 12th September 2010, 15:40   #1
medicalsounds

Alternative to getting icy metadata?

Hi currently working on a player project for a particular device. In this case I'm not able to control the bytes being feed to the player so I can not turn on icy metadata. Is there an alternative to getting metadata from a particular SHOUTcast station?

One solution it would be to pull it from the streams sever every few seconds... i.e. http://84.19.184.204:8000/ contains all the info I need...
If this is a good way to do it, is there a way to pull this info? Maybe an xml list I can fetch and parse?

Thanks!

-Jona
medicalsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 18:33   #2
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
I hate when I keep getting "meta data puller" and ips keep opening and closing. It really takes my stats out of kilter. I've already found out that AOL does this and I'm hopeing that with Shoutcast DNAS 2.0 this will be fixed don't know.

At the same time there has already been Shoutcast player apps developed for the Blackberry and the droid and I'm hoeing this new Shoutcast 2.0 stuff won't cause these players to no longer be able to search Shoutcast.

Any thoughts on this?

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 20:33   #3
dotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalsounds View Post
Hi currently working on a player project for a particular device. In this case I'm not able to control the bytes being feed to the player so I can not turn on icy metadata. Is there an alternative to getting metadata from a particular SHOUTcast station?

One solution it would be to pull it from the streams sever every few seconds... i.e. http://84.19.184.204:8000/ contains all the info I need...
If this is a good way to do it, is there a way to pull this info? Maybe an xml list I can fetch and parse?

Thanks!
Fetch and parse 7.html - it's lightweight, easy to parse, and as long as you don't hammer away on it more often than once a minute or so, I doub't it would be noticed.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 20:57   #4
medicalsounds

Ohh man! 7.html is sweet! and I was going to parse the whole html page :P

Is that the only extra page on the shoutcast severs? Is there one for last played history? I'm ok with just 7.html but it would be nice if there was something for that...

Thanks!

-Jona
Old 14th September 2010, 13:07   #5
dotme

As far as I know, 7.html is the only page like that. You can grab history from the full html file played.html though.

As far as Shoutcast v2, I imagine it's all changed and 7.html is probably no more. But adoption of v2 has been very slow due, I suspect, to a very steep learning curve and current incompatibility with most source software.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 14:00   #6
smoothbeats

Send a message via AIM to smoothbeats
If you have the admin password for the Shoutcast server, you can get all of this information from the xml stats. However keep in mind that you'll be getting a huge xml feed as compared to the very lightweight 7.html stats, which can add up over time. You also have the option of coding a basic screen scraper to pull these items from the various DNAS pages if you don't have the admin password or would prefer not pulling so much data every time. Again, make sure to pull this data no more than every once per 60-120 seconds.

Smoothbeats.com
hiphop / nujazz
smoothbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 14:20   #7
medicalsounds

Ok! thanks!

I guess I'll have to go get up and running with the new server and see what's available. Also, about pulling the now playing information... I won't be doing this every second... I might push for a once every 30 to 45 sec... I really hate to do this but for some reason I think it ends up being the same amount of bandwidth as if I had icy data enabled on the stream... icy data usually is sent after 9000 bytes so you get more icy metadata than wanted...

-Jona
Old 15th September 2010, 08:49   #8
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

an alternative, which some people are now doing, due to the changes to sc_serv2

Get the phone/device to poll a website instead of the shoutcast directly which then caches the information and only repolls say every minute regardless of how often the phone/device polls for the information. So example

device/phone connected to stream
device/phone makes a call to a website with the stream information so the website knows where to get the meta data from

The website script could then be clever enough to determine if it is sc_serv , sc_serv2 but always return the information in the same format to the device.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions