Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Old 17th December 2013, 20:59   #81
Bryon Stout

Pretty sure DrO already confirmed that shoutcast was not part of the services that are leaving with winamp.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 11:47   #82
Jkey
Forum King

DrO seems to have a contract in place and is saying he is still working on
shoutcast software. So for now, shoutcast is staying it seems.

How that will work out is something you will all have to find out, I guess.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 20:36   #83
streamfinder

Tag -
Would be happy to help stand up a new YP platform with you if want someone to share the load.

---------------------------------------------------

StreamFinder.com - Add your radio station to our free directory - get more exposure and listeners
streamfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 20:58   #84
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
I would not take any chances if I were you all. I'd find directories to list your stations and also get an Icecast V2 KH server for now. Otherwise you may as well put yourstation on sites like Caster.FM and the like for without a listing your spinning your wheels. At least Caster has a directory for those who don't want to take the time to list their stations.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 12:58   #85
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoohippie View Post
without a listing your spinning your wheels.
Social networking is currently the way to reach a potential new audience.
I do not know a single person anymore who uses a directory like the yp to
find stations they may want to listen to.

Old 19th December 2013, 13:16   #86
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Seen lots and lots of Voodoohippie's posts on a lot of threads on other forums, most of it negative or spam.

He's just a Troll by any other name.

Seems he's out of touch with how people build audiences.

Oh well That's the end of winamp!
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 13:30   #87
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybaldy72uk View Post
Seen lots and lots of Voodoohippie's posts on a lot of threads on other forums, most of it negative or spam.
good to know it's not just me that's been thinking that.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 13:38   #88
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
good to know it's not just me that's been thinking that.
Great minds must think alike.

His recent spam was on Broadcasting world. Another site that's gone down the tubes of late.

He uses .tk links and even Stop Forum Spam say .tk links are known to be used by spammers.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:38   #89
Jkey
Forum King

I would not say troll. I would say eccentric.
I recognize my own kind, we are a weird miserable bunch.

Old 20th December 2013, 00:31   #90
voodoohippie

"Social networking is currently the way to reach a potential new audience.
I do not know a single person anymore who uses a directory like the yp to
find stations they may want to listen to."
--------------------------------------------------------
that's why I have 90% of my listeners listening from iTunes and TuneIn as well as plenty of Smartphone listeners.
---------------------------------------------------------
"Seen lots and lots of Voodoohippie's posts on a lot of threads on other forums, most of it negative or spam.

He's just a Troll by any other name.

Seems he's out of touch with how people build audiences.

Oh well That's the end of winamp!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No just speak the Truth about Internet Radio. I'm far from an Noob as not only have I done Internet Radio but terrestrial Radio back in 1983. So what if I use a .tk link just makes it shorter than the huge long link to the referral point. And Yes I do promote some damn good Broadcasting software with a .tk link, Software that will help those that don't want to spend $300 on software only to have to buy an Audio Processor to clean up the mess as far as Audio Quality. I'm a Progressive Rocker with an attitude to match. Can't stand the lack of knowledge when it comes to music and the garbage that supports kiddie Radio and such although there is good stuff out there so too many folks just have not got a clue. If people didn't depend on a directory why hack Shoutcast and make your ratings higher till the admins had to put a stop to it? At least some stations do things the right way. Just because I speak the truth about Icecast does not make me a troll hell I use to love Shoutcast and I was a die hard fan but now everything is way too far up in the air for any of us Real Radio Stations to take chances on something that may not be around. And if you don't depend on a directory why not broadcast on Streamerp2p, or other service? Because simple you'll get no exposure. Anyone knows this besides the fact that p2p can be unstable. As far as Facebook its going down the tubes what with people hacking and taking over accounts. Many folks are slowly closing their accounts. So though a directory is not 100% its a good place to start with your Radio station. Social media can help as well but most folks just want to fire up their Android, iPhone or PC and listen to a good station and without the YP apps like XiiaLive won't work. Wait... They too got smart and now have Icecast in their app. Tells me they too won't take chances either. Will see after D Day time is ticking and 5 hrs to go so will it die Eastern Time or what Time Zone? Lets just watch it all fall like dominoes.

Merry Christmas!!

Old 20th December 2013, 13:49   #91
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
that's why I have 90% of my listeners listening from iTunes and TuneIn as well as plenty of Smartphone listeners.
So that is 45% from iTunes and 45% TuneIn.
Since you are a "Progressive Rocker" that means a max of 50 +/- listeners or 45 people.
People can listen from smartphones without a directory, so you including that
in your statement as some kind of validation for your position is silly.

Quote:
Facebook its going down the tubes
No, it is not. Don't be silly.

Everything else you said was complete incoherent insanity.

Merry DerpMass Nutcase.

Old 20th December 2013, 15:29   #92
voodoohippie

FYI if you take the time and use Google you may see some light as far as Shoutcast and their fate. Turns out there is a deal in progress so we may be safe after all.

Now a lesson about Album Rock stations. Why do you think you dont hear album Rock stations on your Radio Today? Ratings. Its all about the Dollar. You wont ever get 3K listeners on a Album Rock ((Progressive Rock) station. No matter what you do or where you post. Most people from 18_30 dont even know nor care what Album Rock (progressive Rock) is. Why because since 1984 things changed and the Music industry wanted to sell what they wanted not what the Adults wanted at that time. So now kids grew up with the lack of musical knowledge in other words if it aint boom boom base or screaming speed Metal they are not happy. My station is Not for that so of corse you dont see me number 1 in ratings.

I also go out and meet people not sit in front of my computer and expect my Radio station to suddenly have 900 listeners. When I see an Album Rocker I tell them about The Legacy and how tp tune in. I even show them how to listen in their car with an FM wireless Transmitter imagine that and some buy the Smartphone and wireless Transmitter just to listen. Meeting and being in contact with Real people IS How you get Listeners that stick around this I have always knew. If I were fully sighted I would have even more listeners.

Old 20th December 2013, 17:43   #93
Obsdark

I heard Shoutcast since a long... long... time ago, and i wanna know what's going to happend now.

Probably an announcement happends today at forums telling us the future of winamp with Microsoft & the future of Shoutcast.

I'm Guessing

Let's see What happend.

PS: Someone knows what timezone is the close of winamp?
Obsdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 18:08   #94
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
FYI if you take the time and use Google you may see some light as far as Shoutcast and their fate. Turns out there is a deal in progress so we may be safe after all.

Now a lesson about Album Rock stations. Why do you think you dont hear album Rock stations on your Radio Today? Ratings. Its all about the Dollar. You wont ever get 3K listeners on a Album Rock ((Progressive Rock) station. No matter what you do or where you post. Most people from 18_30 dont even know nor care what Album Rock (progressive Rock) is. Why because since 1984 things changed and the Music industry wanted to sell what they wanted not what the Adults wanted at that time. So now kids grew up with the lack of musical knowledge in other words if it aint boom boom base or screaming speed Metal they are not happy. My station is Not for that so of corse you dont see me number 1 in ratings.

I also go out and meet people not sit in front of my computer and expect my Radio station to suddenly have 900 listeners. When I see an Album Rocker I tell them about The Legacy and how tp tune in. I even show them how to listen in their car with an FM wireless Transmitter imagine that and some buy the Smartphone and wireless Transmitter just to listen. Meeting and being in contact with Real people IS How you get Listeners that stick around this I have always knew. If I were fully sighted I would have even more listeners.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 20th December 2013, 18:10   #95
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Now a lesson about Album Rock stations. Why do you think you dont hear album Rock stations on your Radio Today?
Because it sucks ass.

Quote:
Its all about the Dollar. You wont ever get 3K listeners on a Album Rock ((Progressive Rock) station. No matter what you do or where you post. Most people from 18_30 dont even know nor care what Album Rock (progressive Rock) is. Why because since 1984 things changed and the Music industry wanted to sell what they wanted not what the Adults wanted at that time. So now kids grew up with the lack of musical knowledge in other words if it aint boom boom base or screaming speed Metal they are not happy. My station is Not for that so of corse you dont see me number 1 in ratings.

Thanks for the awesome lesson on the 80's way of running a station.
I don't have to imagine a "wireless Transmitter" I started on FM stations
I designed and built such equipment.

Music and Social trends evolve. For every one person you go out and meet,
there are 100+ on facebook. Build a community, talk to them everyday and meet some
in person at events or on a personal level. I know plenty of station owners that utilise facebook
in this way and their listener counts have shot up far beyond those they had in the old days.

/On topic
Not long to go

Last edited by Jkey; 20th December 2013 at 18:13. Reason: Because I do not and will never understand formating on these forums.
Old 20th December 2013, 19:04   #96
voodoohippie

Well Prog Rock is not 80's its 1967-1984 for Commercial Rock Indie Prog Rock like Porcupine Tree Does still exist. I do have a Facebook account yes I probably should do more with it and see but so far not got much from it. Myspace in its heyday was the bomb and you could construct a really nice page with widget to show listeners, Song title, heck of it wern't against BMI rules I could have skipped the website entirely and put up my own player right on my Myspace page.

Its good to know someone knows about Stereo FM Transmitters out there. Just want everyone to know that even if which now looks like we may keep Shoutcast and if so I'll re subscribe to a Shoutcast stream host again. Shoutcast really is where most hobbyist started on Internet Radio that along with Live365 when it was 100% FREE and even they too use some Shoutcast technology in how you can use any Broadcast probrams Shoutcast V1 encoder to broadcast to Live365. There may be some light heck this could all be a publicity stunt to see if there really is much interest in Shoutcast. As far as M$ buying it if they did you'd have to sign contracts and your soul away just to get listed in their directory just like the Windows Media Player directory. For those reasons I hope M$ does not buy it. At least Apple would allow you to list your station simply by following the guidelines as you do with iTunes. Apple may be what they are but I think they would be far mor fair to their broadcasters than M$. I do know this if M$ takes Shoutcast all the unlicensed rouge Pirate stations would be 86ed. If you read their Windows Media Player contract you'll see why this statement is 100% valid.

Guess we'll all see what happens. It could be like Loudcaster where their web site stayed up days past the deadline or and I hope the latter we have another investor in Shoutcast as it does have proven value to Internet Radio.

Old 21st December 2013, 12:06   #97
Jkey
Forum King

I was rude.
So I made up for this weakness of character by looking up Porcupine Tree on youtube.

I watched "Way Out Of Here" live. I really liked it

Old 21st December 2013, 18:22   #98
voodoohippie

That my friend is True Album Rock but modern version of it. There are other Indie Progressive Rock bands I play as well. Many folks don't even know of their existence because of the fact commercial Radio (Most not all there are a few terrestrial Album Rock Stations) have cut the public off of this type of music.

Yes I too apologize for taking my anger out on the forums because I was P'd off at AOL's decision to kill Shoutcast and Winamp. I do realize you all have jobs and can't breach your contracts by disclosing something as to rather or not Shoutcast is being bought out by X or Y company. So I ranted and threw a fit. Like I said I do like Shoutcast because its easy to set up a server or use a stream host and I am sure you all would like to scream at the sheer notion of killing Shoutcast.

And just for the like thanks for making V2.2x more like V1 as far as ease of operation and making the auth hash more in the background allowing us users to concentrate on what really matters OUR STATIONS!! I do know for a while I was impatient with V2.x but again I may decide to come back to Shoutcast and experiment I'm just gonna sit on the sidelines and see what actually becomes of Shoutcast and the YP directory.

We all need to stick together and not do these things as I know I have that Prog Rocker attitude but this time maybe I should have been more patient with all of this but fear turned to rage and rage turned to making dumb mistakes on my part. It takes a bigger man to admit when he truly F'd up and in this case I did so. I'm sure some of you programmers are in line with some of my thinking but you can't say that or you would lose your jobs.

Really I did mean it when I said Merry Christmas its a damn computer program not the end of the world and even if it did go down someone will pick up the pieces and re build. Just hate to see it die without a fight so I was trying to make people fight for Shoutcast's survival and not go down whimpering.

Really... Best regards to all and I'll try and behave from now on.

Voodoohippie

Owner/Dj of
The Legacy
Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Album Rock
http://thelegacy.shorturl.com

Old 23rd December 2013, 00:37   #99
MadJack

I don't see how one can even compare internet "radio" to terrestrial radio stations. One is for the world, the other for the community. I mean, the standards are totally different. When there's a tornado in the area, do you tune in to your internet radio stations to get the info you need? Hell no. You tune in to a local live radio station. Terrestrial radio is done as a service to the public in general. Internet radio is a whole other ballgame. That's why it's so hard to sell. Because the medium costs money already. Airwaves are free to the public. All you need is a receiver.
MadJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 13:17   #100
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
One is for the world, the other for the community.
As a liberal, I do not see the distinction.
Peace and love to you my fellow human being, big kiss X

Man on Man heavy petting aside,
I do listen to the internet based live feed of my local station via wifi
on my phone, If I need local news or weather reports. The reception is better.

Old 23rd December 2013, 22:36   #101
voodoohippie

Heck even On Air stations see the value of Internet Radio. In the menu of TuneIn and XiiaLive you can press Local and hear your local Radio stations just over the Net and yes it does sound better. If you so choose you can even listen to other stations (If they are not Geo Blocked many are not) from other states and around the world. This is why I see Internet Radio as a huge success in the not to distant future what with smartphones out there and many already have TuneIn already installed on the device when you buy it (HTC One V from US Cellular and others like it).

As more and more people complain and drop their contracts because of the huge data rates more carriers will stop gouging and charge a fair rate for Data use (maybe unlimited).

Old 26th December 2013, 06:27   #102
MadJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
As a liberal, I do not see the distinction.
Am I to believe a liberal is incapable of understanding the massive difference in local and global? OK.

Quote:
I do listen to the internet based live feed of my local station via wifi
on my phone, If I need local news or weather reports. The reception is better.
Me too. However terrestrial radio stations are usually programmed for the local listener. HArd to be truly local when you go global.
Old 26th December 2013, 06:42   #103
MadJack

Quote:
Heck even On Air stations see the value of Internet Radio. In the menu of TuneIn and XiiaLive you can press Local and hear your local Radio stations just over the Net and yes it does sound better. If you so choose you can even listen to other stations (If they are not Geo Blocked many are not) from other states and around the world. This is why I see Internet Radio as a huge success in the not to distant future what with smartphones out there and many already have TuneIn already installed on the device when you buy it (HTC One V from US Cellular and others like it).

As more and more people complain and drop their contracts because of the huge data rates more carriers will stop gouging and charge a fair rate for Data use (maybe unlimited).
My point is not the medium, even though internet streams involve too many moving parts compared to a simple radio receiver. The point is purpose. Joe Schmo Furniture Barn can advertize for a massive global audience, sure, but his money is better spent in his own city or county. And all the bandwidth pumped out online in an endless sea of streams from the whole of the planet will have little effect on the audience already available with their local stations. Web based radio is another breed in the evolution of the medium.

Remember how everyone thought satellite radio would revolutionize the medium?
Old 26th December 2013, 13:49   #104
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Am I to believe a liberal is incapable of understanding the massive difference in local and global? OK.
It's all relative, OK.

Quote:
Me too. However terrestrial radio stations are usually programmed for the local listener. HArd to be truly local when you go global.
Or go global when truly local.

Old 27th December 2013, 05:14   #105
Smelter
Major Dude

In tacoma, we dont have a local terrestrial station that is not controlled by Seattle at over 40 miles away.

We do have Nwcz internet radio which streams an all local show, and is highly popular locally.
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 23:21   #106
idobi

Send a message via AIM to idobi
Quote:
My point is not the medium, even though internet streams involve too many moving parts compared to a simple radio receiver. The point is purpose. Joe Schmo Furniture Barn can advertize for a massive global audience, sure, but his money is better spent in his own city or county. And all the bandwidth pumped out online in an endless sea of streams from the whole of the planet will have little effect on the audience already available with their local stations. Web based radio is another breed in the evolution of the medium.
Most "global" stations sells targeted advertising on a local and regional level. There are technologies available that allow you to target ads to local markets, and we're experimenting with using the same technology to provide local news and weather to our listeners.

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 10:45   #107
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by idobi View Post
Most "global" stations sells targeted advertising on a local and regional level. There are technologies available that allow you to target ads to local markets, and we're experimenting with using the same technology to provide local news and weather to our listeners.
This

Old 29th December 2013, 18:24   #108
MadJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by idobi View Post
That's great. But we have a long way to go before we out establish established terrestrial radio. I think internet radio should be everything terrestrial will never be. Some of it works, but there are areas of music, talk, whatever, that we can do online that we can not do locally. I think we should see ourselves, (internet radio broadcasters) as something different. Here, there is room to grow.
Old 29th December 2013, 18:44   #109
voodoohippie

I agree. With the Share Locations option on your Android Smartphone you have the ability for a targeted file to trigger the weather in your Local area, News and more. Folks can be hired to do special things Online and the DJ's or broadcasters do what they know best and that is music. Instead of working away from home a DJ, Newscaster, Weatherman can work where ever creating yet more jobs and more flexibility to meat the employee's schedule as well as the online DJ's. This is where the lines may blur and Internet Radio can be taken more seriously by content delivery networks. Soon instead of your station costing money it will make money.

Old 31st December 2013, 01:21   #110
MadJack

Quote:
I agree. With the Share Locations option on your Android Smartphone you have the ability for a targeted file to trigger the weather in your Local area, News and more. Folks can be hired to do special things Online and the DJ's or broadcasters do what they know best and that is music. Instead of working away from home a DJ, Newscaster, Weatherman can work where ever creating yet more jobs and more flexibility to meat the employee's schedule as well as the online DJ's. This is where the lines may blur and Internet Radio can be taken more seriously by content delivery networks. Soon instead of your station costing money it will make money.
Terrestrial radio stations already do that, music, news etc. and on the web by streaming their signal and they already make the money. Corporate radio has already tried the one sound for all cities and their stations fail in money and ratings. Look at Clear Channel. they suck ass and everyone knows it. Listeners, employees, clients. Now for communities where there is no local radio, and there are still some places left, maybe internet radio is a solution, but then again if there are no stations in the area, chances are the money needed to do what you suggest probably isn't there either.

Don't kid yourself, the chances for an internet based station being able to compete with a radio based station are mighty slim. Mimicking them will not make internet radio any more profitable. There are radios on bedside tables, in every car, businesses etc. Yes there are other things like Sirrius XM and some web based stations, but the accessibility of terrestrial radio will out sell web based stations every time. 80 years or so worth of momentum. Free programming on the airwaves in service to the general public. Free.

Web based stations have the opportunity to change the medium and go beyond the limits of terrestrial radio. This is the only way it will survive in the market place, if they are to survive at all.
Old 31st December 2013, 22:05   #111
Bryon Stout

Well looks like we now know the fate of winamp....

Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 22:37   #112
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/static/aboutus

any idea what this means for winamp? think its shoutcast only?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 13:16   #113
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Thanks for that Byron!

Is this a happy new Winamp or a sad day ????
Old 4th January 2014, 12:35   #114
Jkey
Forum King

PHP Code:
shoutcast.com        NS     dns-07.ns.aol.com    3600s
shoutcast
.com        NS     dns-06.ns.aol.com    3600s 

Old 4th January 2014, 20:27   #115
aaronsnet

Send a message via AIM to aaronsnet
Glad to see the nameservers have not changed on SC. I have a feeling Radionomy would turn SC into something it was never meant to be.

the detour network - detour MUSIC, detour TALK, detour BLUES, SOF Radio

Purple Zebra Media Services-http://purplezebra.us
Supporting independent, licensed internet radio stations since 2001!
aaronsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:29   #116
JE JaggedEdge

Send a message via ICQ to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via AIM to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via Yahoo to JE JaggedEdge
The evolution of radio/music will force change. For instance in my genre or crap-hop (hip-hop & rap), the Internet is NOT FCC governed, so playing edited songs is not necessary. This is an FCC decency law, to draw in advertisers. But stations still do it WHY? Are people hiding behind walls of some sort? If you listen to an edited song on FCC Radio and then go to iTunes to buy the explicit song/album, you've just proven there is no reason to play edited music.

I wonder how many millions of dollars an internet station is making vs CC for playing the same edited music, vs Satellite Radio for playing unedited music.

Now we see that Winamp and SC have been purchased by Radionomy. I give this about a year and then it's over! Hopefully by then, there will be a reliable network that can supersede SC in terms of what it provides independent internet broadcasters. The current Radionomy model ain't going no where! Something should popup.

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly
Request Line: 1-855 588-6767
JE JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 02:56   #117
aaronsnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE JaggedEdge View Post
Now we see that Winamp and SC have been purchased by Radionomy.
There is no proof that SC has been purchased by Radionomy. Only Winamp and Nullsoft are now propagating to Radionomy. SC is still propagating to AOL servers.

Old 5th January 2014, 13:07   #118
lazvon

Name server record updates are no proof either. They are evidence, and likely evidence at that. But the ownership of the domain records still says AOL. That record changing would be proof (of at least the domain name being sold)... or an official statement. Neither of which have happened yet, so that probably means nothing else has happened either.
lazvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 13:40   #119
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsnet View Post
Glad to see the nameservers have not changed on SC. I have a feeling Radionomy would turn SC into something it was never meant to be.

Radionomy
is a good company, more than capable of bringing shoutcast into the modern age.

Old 5th January 2014, 22:38   #120
aaronsnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post

Radionomy
is a good company, more than capable of bringing shoutcast into the modern age.
By doing what...turning SC into something like L365 except you already have access to their music library? I don't even have to upload my own content anymore. Woo hoo. How would SC help Radionomy? I suppose Radionomy could run ads over our own streams...but to me, it doesn't seem like Radionomy and SC's setup match.

Bringing SC into the modern age? Do share your thoughts on how this can be accomplished.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions