Old 20th October 2003, 04:48   #1
UltraZelda64

"File Open" Order

Just been playing around with WA5. No real problems, and right now I can't think of many suggestions since I haven't used it enough, and of course it's just a beta andobviously things will change. But there's one thing that just drives me insane: The order the Open File options are listed on the menu. It goes:

Open File
Open Location
Open Directory

Now I don't know how many people actually use Winamp to directly open a URL, but I would expect most people just set Winamp as the default and click a link in their browser, which opens a stream. To me, streaming was neer really important - and I'm sure most everyone's got over 75% of their music - wavs, mp3s, oggs, aac, etc. stored locally on their system. Numerous times I clicked "Open Location" on accident... is this going to change? The following would make more sense:

Open File
Open Directory
Open Location

Otherwise... near perfect from what I've seen. Can't wait to see what features will be added... it's far surpassed my expectations so far. The video support could use some tweaking, but considering how much better WA5's support is than WA2.95's (which was laughable, I'll admit), I wouldn't be surprised if it's perfected in just a few versions. If it even takes a few. And the Minibrowser... I really miss that. Hope it comes back soon, at least in Classic mode for now.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 06:24   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I think the general idea was to lessen the number of windows, eg. EQ attached to main window, avs & video now in main window (with option to detach), and minibrowser now in ml -> now playing (but with no option to detach).

btw, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but thinking about it, you're probably right that it should be Files, Dir, Location . . . like it is in Playlist -> Add button.
I use "Playlist -> Add -> url" quite a lot (especially for copying+pasting mms:// streams, amongst others), but I rarely use Open Location (where it replaces the playlist) . . .
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 20:16   #3
UltraZelda64

Yeah, I'm sure there's people it doesn't bother, but it really messes me up. The Classic skin and WA3 default both go File/Dir/Loc.

Edit: Btw, all this time, and I didn't even realize the MB was actually integrated in the library... heh. Still, I'm used to a separate window, but I guess it shouldn't be too hard to get used to it... it might be a bit annoying until your place gets saved in the library, since you can click Now Playing and completely lose your place in the Music folder the way it is now.
Old 22nd October 2003, 02:13   #4
UltraZelda64

Well, I was just playing a bit with WA5. I still can't believe I didn't notice the integrated ML browser... haha. Anyway, about the browser - it'd be useful for "Generate HTML Playlist" to be in the "More..." menu under the page. I never did get why it was always under "Misc / Misc" on the playlist for as long as I can remember either, and now that I think of it, the whole playlist button layout could use a makeover. The Add/Rem/Sel buttons are all okay, but the Misc button is what never made sense. Wouldn't it make more sense if Misc was replaced with two other buttons: Sort and File Info? The "Read extended info on selection" option could be moved to the top menu (which is set up much better than the buttons), and the "Generate HTML Playlist" option moved to the Library, as I said. And why is there even another branch in the "REM" option? Never got that either; it'd be much better without. Anyway - that's some stuff I thought was weird for years, thought about it just now, and thought maybe it should get an overhaul as good as the main window/config drawer. Besides the menu at the top, the PL seems to be the window with the least updates/changes.
Old 22nd October 2003, 16:15   #5
indicavia

Send a message via ICQ to indicavia
It would be best if we could rearange all the menus ourself, and add/remove buttons (so, if you never use "Open Location", you could just remove it from the list) and stuff
indicavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2003, 20:26   #6
UltraZelda64

Yep, that would rule, but I wonder if that would ever happen. Winamp, unlike WA3 and Foobar2000, never seemed to be heavy on user customizations like that. It's just got all the major features that make up a media player, and not a ton of options.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion