Old 29th November 2003, 00:40   #1
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Would you bid for this?

Album Lennon Signed for Killer Being Sold
Nov 28, 6:14 PM EST

The record album John Lennon signed for the man who killed him hours later is for sale online.

Gary Zimet, president of the Web site Moments in Time, said the album, "Double Fantasy," is being offered for $525,000.

The album is being sold by the man who found it in the front gate flower planter outside the Dakota apartment building near Central Park. Mark David Chapman shot and killed Lennon in 1980 outside the building, where Lennon lived with his wife, Yoko Ono.

"There has been a tremendous amount of interest," Zimet said in a phone interview. "This is the greatest rock 'n' roll piece ever sold."

Zimet said on the Web site that the owner, "a Beatle fan all of his life ... wrestled for 18 years before coming to the decision to sell the album."

The owner had turned the album in to police as evidence, and it was returned "with a letter of extreme gratitude from the District Attorney," said Zimet, who did not identify the album's owner.

The album bears the signature of John Lennon and is dated 1980. Zimet said the cover and dust jacket contain forensically enhanced fingerprints of Chapman.

Other items offered on Zimet's memorabilia Web site include autographs by famed jazz musician Louis Armstrong and photographs of President Kennedy.

Ehh, before anyone shouts "put this in Music O' Rama" or something like that , I'm interested in y'alls opinions about the morbidity on this. And, fine, after today, would a generous, loving, kindhearted Mod move this to the "appropriate" area?
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 01:09   #2
Loveless

Assuming that's all factual, and that I had the money, yes I'd buy it.

It's not like their selling Lennon's head in a jar or anything, so I don't find it particularly morbid.

If they were, say, selling organs from homelss people they'd murdered, that would be morbid, because it involves exploitation. This is the simple resale of a product of a materialistic market (a market that Lennon participated in and exploited) and an item that has curiously increased in value precisely because of the death of its creator. I dunno - I am a great lover of irony, and there's just something delicios about this item. The fact that someone's making money qualifies this item in that regard.

WOT NO FANNY PACKS? (. .)
----------------------w-O-w-----------
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 01:17   #3
irsis

I don't think I would bid on it, it's too strange for me to handle.
irsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 02:46   #4
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I'm not sure if it's as morbid as, say......the bullet that ended his life, but for it to be a treasured item is bizarre.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 06:17   #5
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

I would not pay money for music, but a bullet now might just be worth a shot....

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 06:22   #6
horse-fly
Account Closed

it would be a rathe odd thing to have in your living room, but a great conversation piece for sure
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 06:30   #7
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

"And *this* is the album owned by the killer of John Lennon."
"So, that's you then?"
Cognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 08:37   #8
scorn

If Yoko was involved in the music in any way, you'd have to pay me.
scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 13:56   #9
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

That it's an album hand-signed by John Lennon would justify $1,000 of its value.

That it's the last thing he signed would justify perhaps $24,000 of its value.

That it was signed by Lennon specifically for the man who murdered him justifies the remaining $500,000 of its value.

That's the gruesome aspect of it. For anyone who would justify its price at this level, it's almost like his murder has a dollar value. "I'll bid half-a-million on John Lennon's murder..."

(Then again, I'm going through a crappy time in my life right now and I'm seeing morbidity in many things where it may not exist, so I could be wrong about this.)

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 14:04   #10
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Anyone who would collect something like that might also like to have on his or her mantle Bobbitt's dismembered member
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 14:12   #11
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Anyone who would collect something like that might also like to have on his or her mantle Bobbitt's dismembered member
Or, for short... "Bobbit's DisMember"

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 17:20   #12
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
In a pickle jar soaked in brine....

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2003, 11:32   #13
webthing
Forum King

Money from murder. Murder for money. However you want to say it.
I think he should just burn it.

Do you really want that on your conscience???????

You profited from John Lennon's murder.
I man who stood for peace and love.

Poor John Let him rest in peace.

Let it be. Let it be. Let it be.
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2003, 11:40   #14
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
The value of it because of who signed it and who it was signed to isnt all that's behind the value.

It's the ONLY ONE in existance. The harder something is to find (ie: the ammount that are made), the more it's gonna cost to buy, and the more it will sell for.

Doesn't matter if it's autographed by him or not. It's the rarity and uniqueness of it. I would love to be someone who has the ability to say that I own something hat NO ONE else does.

Similar to that, I am on a quest of my own. I want to own a genuine 18th century (1700's) coin from the US. Yea, people have them, but they're still damn rare (and expensive, even at good quality). Closest I currently have is an 1805 US half cent.

How many people do YOU know that have something that rare and unique? That's what it's all about, for me, anyways.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2003, 13:44   #15
eleet-2k2
Forum King

I wouldnt bid on it, unless it was a fake bid of millions of dollars that I wouldnt be accounted to pay for , but seriously I wouldnt because it seems useless to me.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 02:24   #16
Corpse
Banned

I would buy it. Listen to it once. Then donate it to a musem. lol.

Corpse
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 06:40   #17
Internet God
Banned

I am wonder, That is very strange to me.
Internet God is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions