Old 19th November 2005, 18:13   #1
jjpotter

Ethics Question

As some of you know, I remixed a skin (River_City_Ransom_Skin) for the 1001WS remix contest, but I could not get ahold of the author to get permission. His name is Nick Soapdish and it was his only skin, which was submitted in 2001. It was only posted on Winamp.com. It did not have a library or video window, so it was recently thrown out. Basically, I think the skin is probably a goner. My question is this: if I give basically complete credit to the original author, would it be permissible to submit this skin? Just so that the skin exists in some form?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcr.jpg (49.0 KB, 231 views)
jjpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 18:48   #2
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I tried to look it up in the database, but there are some problems on that part right now, so I can't see what the original looked like.

I would say yes, we will let you publish it, but we will also make you update the original with the 3 extra bmp's.

However, I can't say anything else on that until the database works a bit better.

If you have the original skin, upload it somewhere and give a link, please. Also a link to your remix would be nice.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 06:20   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

OK, got the original from the database.
From what I can see from this skin and the screenshot of your remix, there's very little difference between the two, not enough to justify publishing both.
The only thing we can do is to publish the original with your updates to make it complete (gen, genex and video)under the Nullsoft Classicz account.

Nick Soapdish would be credited as the author, you would be credited as the "updater".

To go this route, attach the 3 bmps in a zipfile to your next post.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 02:23   #4
jjpotter

Here are the Video and Media Library bitmaps. I have also included a screenshot of my actual remix, just in case that one IS different enough to publish. I used his basic layout, cleaned it up a lot, replaced most of the components and use a different set of cursors. Just giving it a shot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rivercity_video_medialib.zip (53.8 KB, 194 views)
jjpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins