Old 11th May 2008, 21:20   #1
brianjw

Send a message via AIM to brianjw Send a message via Yahoo to brianjw
Monitoring the server...

Hi all! I am going to have other DJ's broadcasting on to this radio server. The thing is, I know them only virtually and not in publicly. And I don't think I can fully trust them. That is why I want to know if there is something I can do on the computer the server is on (Ubuntu Linux 8.04) to record/monitor every sound coming into the server and be able to play them back. But so it doesn't waste space on the computer, it will store 3 days worth of monitoring that I can view but once the 4th day comes one of those slots (usually the oldest) is overwritten by a new one. If there is no sound then it won't create one.

Do you guys get what I am saying? What can I do with this?

Thanks.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 21:38   #2
sputnik radio
Major Dude

the only thing you can do is make sure that your dj's dont have your admin password for the shoutcast server....give them only a dj password.

Second you will have to record your stream by using a stream ripper or whatever (which is not allowed to be discussed here) and just record your stream.

My reccomendations is just monitor your dj's for a day or two then you will know who is trust worthy and playing the music right..

get to know people before you let them go on their own without supervision.

OR you could go to http://ampcast.com and install their widget on a website and it will keep up with all the songs that have been played on your station...Then you can read the logs and see what songs are played
sputnik radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 22:05   #3
brianjw

I don't care what songs are played, as my server is pretty much an all type genre server. Although I do remove some. I am more worried about the mic feature being used and them saying somethings that they shouldn't.

I cannot monitor them because these people are in different timezones, when I am sleeping or busy at work.

I am going to look at this stream ripper of which you speak. It cannot be bad to talk about if I am ripping my own stream, right?
Old 11th May 2008, 22:35   #4
sputnik radio
Major Dude

well there are good uses and bad uses for everything . unfortunatley stream ripping is not allowed to be discussed here at these forums becausse it is mostly used for evil.

PS...I use adobe audition and just record from my stereo mix on my sound card. whenever im recording MY OWN STREAM . A free program similiar to audition is Audacity
Old 11th May 2008, 22:41   #5
brianjw

Thanks for that. And while I am here, do you know if it possible and allowed to send pandora music through my stream? So I can set winamp plugin to play music from the computer and I can open pandora or something...
Old 12th May 2008, 00:16   #6
sputnik radio
Major Dude

I dont think pandora would like it but you should probably ask them...
Old 12th May 2008, 16:03   #7
arthurvasey

Assuming you were allowed to stream Pandora music - or any other music program - through your Shoutcast, it could work - you might have to connect your laptop to a channel on your mixer.

As far as monitoring and recording streams is concerned, there are a few things you can get for nowt online that can record in real time - but you need to have the computer plugged in and running all the time - and you'd need a hard drive with an unlimited memory and not do anything else with the computer like playing noisy games or watching DVDs.

A small price to pay to make sure that nobody says "enigma" over the air!

Arthur Leslie Vasey
arthurvasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions