Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 10th March 2013, 17:11   #41
DrO

aye, was easier to replicate with a classic skin as the library window isn't getting messed around. have committed a fix for the next build, so hopefully this new issue (which was my fault in the first place from trying to fix something else with the selection restore) should be gone.
Old 10th March 2013, 18:44   #42
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Thanks!
Old 10th March 2013, 19:01   #43
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX_1980 View Post
some unicode problems ?
http://www.wdr.de/wdrlive/media/einslive.m3u

Winamp57_3315_error_01.jpg
Title: Ihr hört 1Live

Winamp57_3315_error_02.jpg
Stream name: 1LIVE, © Westdeutscher Rundfunk Köln
of the 'issues' in the two screenshots, the current 'song' coming through from them isn't always valid utf-8 (or at least isn't viewed as valid utf-8 as far as the OS api's are concerned) from what i can tell which is why it's failing to be displayed as you'd expect. i may look into it further but for the time being there's little else to be done about it.

with the station name on the stream info dialog, i've made a change which should allow it to appear like in the other parts of the ui, so i believe that can be called fixed.
Old 10th March 2013, 19:30   #44
joebloggscity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
what do you think needs to be done to the podcast support?
A few things.

1) When subscriptions are updated, the subject in the Podcast column should be highlighted or bolded as for those of us with lots of subs, we can't tell which are updated without clicking through them all

2) It's a bit annoying to have to jump between the Subscriptions & Download folders for seeing what's downloaded or not, and startign them. It would be good if the two could be merged in some ways to make it easier.

3) when downloading, you have to jump to the download folder also which is a bit annoying to see the progress level.

4) In the download window, can you add a field for size of file & "Time", that way can check that the full podcast really has fully downloaded. sometimes it hasn't yet says completed.

5) I'd like to select a few subscriptions at one time (CTRL select) and do an update on them rather than one at a time or do all at one time (I've got around 15 subs, and I others with many many more). It can take a while.

6) After downloading, all sub downloads should be tagged as 'Podcasts' in Genre field. This makes easier to find in the filters I set up for organising my media. If there's a problem the podcast tag is lost and so only if the Genre field is manually amended will it still be marked as podcast.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

I love Winamp and I just want to see it kept in front of all others (it's far superior to iTunes).

Also one more thing. I use the History add in so as to remember for podcasts to restart where last left off, however I don't need see the entry in my media library column. Just surplus. Like to be able to hide it and it doesn't store any of my history.
Old 10th March 2013, 19:31   #45
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
MrSinatra: you are correct about the settings but wrong about the dll causing it and it was fixed internally ~6hrs before you noticed, though i'm pretty certain you shouldn't be seeing any of the cloud aspects at the moment (which is also part of the reason it's crashing for you).
i actually never said the dll was to blame, but thats neither here nor there. i guess i'm confused as to whats supposed to happen here? a beta is released for us to test and its big new feature is the cloud but we aren't supposed to be able to use it? and what is the "it" that was fixed internally?

i just want to help, thats why i'm letting you guys know this thing was crashing my winamp. the salient point to me, is that when i had existing ML Cloud language in the ml_gen.ini file, that seemingly instigated whatever causes the crash, be it the dll or the remote server, or whatever, when winamp is started. if that was deleted, then winamp started, np.

also, it probably is just coincidence as you said, but the "last view" info is also in gen_ml.ini with the ml cloud stuff.

it might be an idea to make the cloud stuff such that if it doesn't work, it merely crashes itself, and not the whole of winamp, and perhaps to delay it starting until after winamp fully loads. i guess i am suggesting it be a separate process? (excuse my ignorance if this is a dopey req, as i have no dev bonafides)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@MrSinatra

Re: "also, add "New: ability to specify user's email address to id3 POPM ratings" to the version history. (or "Improved")"

Hmm, nah. That's more of a power user thing. We'd much prefer if people continued using the winamp.com one ;-)
are you serious? why? its the first step to allowing users to define their own ratings from one another.

also, don't miss this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
perhaps another bug though: when i clicked the "visualization" tab, the whole screen went black and the resolution seemingly changed, and i had to hit "esc" to get back to a normal screen.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 11th March 2013, 02:39   #46
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quick question:
"Re: Improved: Added 'Explore item folder' to context menu in playlists
The installer will delete the (now-deprecated) "Find File On Disk" plugin from the Winamp Essentials Pack"

Previously The FFoD plugin was based on JTFE code and JTFE was required to be installed for FFoD to work. Is this still the case with 'Explore Item Folder'?

Great work as always!
Old 11th March 2013, 11:33   #47
DrO

Juanus: that hasn't been the case for years as FFOD hadn't relied on JTFE for a long long time and that dependency was removed too many years back for me to remember exactly when.

additionally the FFOD core has been in Winamp for a few years, just the UI elements hadn't been moved into Winamp natively. as i've killed my plug-ins, it seemed fair to roll the UI elements of FFOD into the core so at least i wouldn't get grief from removing that plug-in.

i probably could have killed off FFOD at least 3 years ago, but hadn't as it was my second plug-in but i'm no longer nostalgic about such things (as that was why i kept it around but that in reflection was not good for the user) hence what remained of it is now in Winamp.
Old 11th March 2013, 13:46   #48
Juanus
Major Dude

of course

I feel a little silly now.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:27   #49
Cryless

can we expect from this version to have a metro skin?
Old 11th March 2013, 14:59   #50
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryless View Post
can we expect from this version to have a metro skin?
Not sure what you would call a metro skin, but have a look at the Classic Pro skin in the link below.

http://iron2000.deviantart.com/art/c...imal-358689201

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 11th March 2013, 16:01   #51
DrO

there will not be any Windows 8 specific skin natively shipped with 5.7. there will also not be a native Windows 8 Modern UI (what was called Metro) as that requires a completely new program to be written - you will only have the current 'classic' desktop version.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:06   #52
Juanus
Major Dude

Viva La Classic Desktop Version!
Old 11th March 2013, 19:43   #53
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX_1980 View Post
Hello, with this beta I'm getting many "ICY 404 Resource not found" error messages with Shoutcast TV.
Shoutcast Radio and Winamp 5.63 are ok.
You too?
should be fixed now from a server-side change (stems from fixing a bug in our networking library and it showing the YP has been providing incorrect SC-TV urls for years).

the manual fix for bookmarked entries (if you have them) is to ensure you have /;stream.nsv on the end of the stream url as the YP was providing stream urls without the slash character (e.g. only appending ;stream.nsv instead of /;stream.nsv) which our code skipped over incorrectly and allowed it to be played.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:40   #54
circcc

when I reorder a playlist songs in ML by drag and drop, it's order is not saved.
when I restart winamp, the order that I changed is not reflected.
please fix this.
thanks.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:00   #55
MrX_1980

Send a message via ICQ to MrX_1980
Quote:
should be fixed now from a server-side change (stems from fixing a bug in our networking library and it showing the YP has been providing incorrect SC-TV urls for years).

the manual fix for bookmarked entries (if you have them) is to ensure you have /;stream.nsv on the end of the stream url as the YP was providing stream urls without the slash character (e.g. only appending ;stream.nsv instead of /;stream.nsv) which our code skipped over incorrectly and allowed it to be played.
Thanks it is working.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:18   #56
Juanus
Major Dude

If you use Enqueue and Play from a folder context menu on a supported audio file, the words QUEUE appear in the playlist and the file I have chosen right after that. However, it doesn't play. I think those options were a part of JTFE. I did a clean uninstall and reinstall and that option was still in the context menu.

Windows 7.

Thanks
Juanus
Old 11th March 2013, 21:24   #57
Juanus
Major Dude

Can a request be made to have the Simple Album smart view to be one of the defaults under Local Media? There is audio, video, top rated, etc But Simple Album like what is on the front page is what people would like to see. I bet a lot of 'newbies' get confused by that.

Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 21:33   #58
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanus View Post
Can a request be made to have the Simple Album smart view to be one of the defaults under Local Media? There is audio, video, top rated, etc But Simple Album like what is on the front page is what people would like to see. I bet a lot of 'newbies' get confused by that.

Thanks
i agree, and i also requested a top-3-pane "Genres" view. here is a link to 3 things they could do that would be solid improvements and take virtually no effort on their part:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=336223

--
Old 11th March 2013, 21:40   #59
DrO

Juanus: with the QUEUE thing, that is how JTFE bodges in the external Enqueue and Play handling, but if it's been disabled (preferences or uninstall) then the plug-in setting won't have persisted. we'll re-check the uninstaller to make sure it's correctly removed as that should not have persisted.

circcc: reproduced - looking into it now (we changed some of the handling to prevent the ml_playlist plug-in re-saving playlists unnecessarily but seems like it's not working 100%).
Old 12th March 2013, 01:09   #60
DrO

Quote:
circcc: reproduced - looking into it now (we changed some of the handling to prevent the ml_playlist plug-in re-saving playlists unnecessarily but seems like it's not working 100%).
circcc: fixed as well as another quirk with the handling. thanks for the report.

-daz
Old 12th March 2013, 22:00   #61
synthetiq

Looking forward to have a final version, good job developers.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:51   #62
killerkarl

Is it possible to convert 5.6 ratings to 5.7 ratings?
Old 13th March 2013, 12:54   #63
MrSinatra
Forum King

you need to explain more. 5.6 or 5.63? ratings in the DB only or in the tags? convert what exactly how exactly?

--
Old 13th March 2013, 13:24   #64
killerkarl

Sorry, my bad.

I did some further research and fully understand your questioning

Well I opened my database in MP3Tag and realized I had some Tracks using Winamp Rating and some using POPULARIMETER. And I was wondering if there was an easy way to convert from WINAMP RATING to the latter. I solved this the brute force way by adding the desired tag and removing the unwanted one.

A way to do this in winamp would have been nice to have.

And I have to agree with you MrSinatra, adding an option to change the email address of POPM would be awesome. The I could finally share my collection with my woman and we could both rate our music
Old 13th March 2013, 13:34   #65
MrSinatra
Forum King

mp3tag has only confused you more.

popularimeter and 'winamp rating' BOTH use the POPM frame. there is no difference as to the frame name between them.

mp3tag just does a dopey thing where if it recognizes the email id string of "rating@winamp.com" in the POPM frame's value, it deactivates its own popularimeter column, and exclusively uses the 'rating winamp' column instead. you are NOT seeing the "raw data" in its 'rating winamp' column as u do in popularimeter.

what did u do? describe your brute force method.

btw, in 5.7 you can now specify the email id string to use in the mp3 dll, so it doesn't have to be rating@winamp.com (my req!)

EDIT: however, multiple POPM frames are not yet supported, so u'd just be overwriting each others ratings.

--
Old 13th March 2013, 14:34   #66
killerkarl

Ok, what I did was remove winamp rating and changed the value in popularimeter. Which now seems stupid. I confirmed that adding a rating with the standard email address is shown as winamp rating. With my email address it is shown as popularimeter. So exactly what you described.

However, assuming the POPM looks like this: Email|Rating|Playcounter

I rated some files and checked the tag and I had a rating of 0 for some files. Yet Winamp knew the rating even after a restart. edit: occasionaly it doesn't. So now with a custom email address the rating is broken?

And what does winamp store in Playcounter? A random value?

Thank you so much for your answers so far btw.
Old 13th March 2013, 22:48   #67
MrSinatra
Forum King

mods, feel free to move these posts into their own thread, just link to them please.

u r using 5.7?

in my exp, winamp will always get the rating right as long as you rescan the files in question, and then refresh the view. what txt string is used to ID the file doesn't matter, and it doesn't even have to be an email, altho that is correct by spec.

i don't believe winamp ever writes a 0 for rating, but even if it did it would just mean it isn't showing stars.

winamp does nothing with the playcounts info. it will write a 0 when writing a rating to a file that had no previous POPM data.

did u find the option in winamp to use your own email for the mp3 dll?

--
Old 14th March 2013, 02:12   #68
djpete
Major Dude

curious if anything was done to the mp3 sound or plugin (placebo effect?) also I had an issue with the spectrum analyzer freezing occasionally and that seems it may be fixed. using crossfader plugin sqrsoft 1.72 version

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 14th March 2013, 02:28   #69
DrO

placebo
Old 14th March 2013, 02:31   #70
djpete
Major Dude

bugger. Im sure that analyzer issue has stopped. Will keep testing. Thought something may have been done under the "other bugs and fixes" title

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 14th March 2013, 02:34   #71
DrO

not intentionally, though could be anything from placement of code changing which may have helped in your case. really cannot say other than no one has actively tried to 'fix' such things.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:35   #72
djpete
Major Dude

ok appreciated

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 14th March 2013, 04:41   #73
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
curious if anything was done to the mp3 sound or plugin (placebo effect?) ...
What is the "placebo effect" you are talking about?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 14th March 2013, 04:47   #74
djpete
Major Dude

2 things
1 better sound
2 that analyzer issue which is sometimes when you have a long song the analyzer freezes until next song starts. it may be a crossfader issue but I am pretty sure I have made it playup with crossfader off too. Anyway it still has not frozen to date...about 50 songs later

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 14th March 2013, 06:49   #75
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
What is the "placebo effect" you are talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo..._of_the_effect

--
Old 14th March 2013, 08:11   #76
Aminifu
Forum King

Thanks MrSinatra for taking time to provide the link. I know what the placebo effect is, but I did not get djpete1959's meaning until his post #74.

His music sounds better to him and he was wondering if it was due to something real (mp3 sound or plugin change) or imagined.

Old 14th March 2013, 11:28   #77
killerkarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
mods, feel free to move these posts into their own thread, just link to them please.

u r using 5.7?

in my exp, winamp will always get the rating right as long as you rescan the files in question, and then refresh the view. what txt string is used to ID the file doesn't matter, and it doesn't even have to be an email, altho that is correct by spec.

i don't believe winamp ever writes a 0 for rating, but even if it did it would just mean it isn't showing stars.

winamp does nothing with the playcounts info. it will write a 0 when writing a rating to a file that had no previous POPM data.

did u find the option in winamp to use your own email for the mp3 dll?
Yes, build 3315. I tried it several times and can reproduce it. When I use a custom email address (or name) it writes some weird shit into the POPM field. E.g.: email is e@ma.il it would write e@ma.ilÄ or e@ma.il@ into the first field. And a rating of zero. This only happens when a new POPM frame is written. When an existing one is used the email will stay the same and the rating is written correctly.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:00   #78
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkarl View Post
Yes, build 3315. I tried it several times and can reproduce it. When I use a custom email address (or name) it writes some weird shit into the POPM field. E.g.: email is e@ma.il it would write e@ma.ilÄ or e@ma.il@ into the first field. And a rating of zero. This only happens when a new POPM frame is written. When an existing one is used the email will stay the same and the rating is written correctly.
you have found a bug. i hadn't actually checked it yet with mp3tag until you said this.

its very strange, the weird chars at the end of my email "go away" by themselves when i click into the field in mp3tag, (which i only did for the top file shown, not sure why the bottom ones don't show any)

the "big" numbers should all be 0's, (playcounts), and the 0's should all be either 1,64,128,196, or 255. the "weird" ascii/ansi chars or whatever they are shouldn't be there at all.

see my screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user-rating-email.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	50318  

--