Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 01:25   #161
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
yeah, once in the cloud u seem to always be connected to it. it does a pull like once a minute, which i'm not really comfortable with, as that seems too frequent and i'm not sure what all it does.

i'm not sure to what degree the cloud can be stopped, logged out of, once established, or if that would reverse the bug vs never having been in the cloud, (assuming the cloud has anything to do with it to begin with)
ok, so this has now gotten interesting...

its not just reading metadata, its sending to RG, etc... HOWEVER, if you "logout" of cloud services by clicking it on the navtree, then the logout in the winamp browser, AND THEN do "read metadata" or RG or whatever, NO CRASH!

log back in, crash returns!

so, it def is related to being logged into the cloud.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 10th April 2013, 01:38   #162
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
...which could even start to explain the behaviour. sunspots is my only answer.
Sunspots, I've always hated them. Effects the climate and your computer. lol
Old 10th April 2013, 01:38   #163
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
hang on I got it.
When I re installed I accidentally left cloud checked ON so thats why no probs.
Reinstalled without cloud and issue reproduced.

So the issue is simple.
To reproduce just install without cloud and it should do it.

I know the whole idea is to test it WITH cloud but just thought I would mention that if it's unchecked it causes the error. I'm sure this will be fixed before release. It did upgrade a few betas back ok though without cloud.
I installed without the cloud and didn't have any issues like that.
Old 10th April 2013, 01:47   #164
djpete
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
I installed without the cloud and didn't have any issues like that.
Oh.
Ok I suppose I will need to remove plugins and do the whole process again.
I can definitely reproduce it on and off by removing cloud.dll.
Pluging I have are
SQR crossfade
Resumer
NSX big clock
Playlist file remover
3 mode repeat
Send to

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 01:48   #165
DrO

i've gone through the installer so the next build should hopefully be ok.

in the meanwhile, you can extract nxlite.dll from the installer to get things working without having to install the cloud aspects (which aren't going to do anything anyway if installed until you get a valid account which is authorised and you've logged in).

as for lostinsound's comment, it's not happening for all because not all of the install paths were catching the need for new dll.
Old 10th April 2013, 01:51   #166
djpete
Major Dude

For me without any 3rd party plugins I can still get the same thing to happen as I orig reported.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 01:53   #167
DrO

3rd party plug-ins have nothing to do with. it's purely down to native dlls needing the new dll and the installer not catching all of those changes (something i should have checked but didn't think it was needed based on the initial changes made to the installer which should have done what was needed but seemingly isn't).
Old 10th April 2013, 01:54   #168
djpete
Major Dude

sounds like you're on the case DrO

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 02:50   #169
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Juanus: that's not intended behaviour. it's mean to open over the main window with respect to the top left corner of the main window. could be something to do with a video card driver messing with things (as the placement is left to the OS to do). i assume this is not something new that you've been experiencing ?
DrO, this is the first that I have noticed it. with every new build I have to tweak the preferences and I do not remember seeing this before.
Unfortunately, tonight my computer completely died so I have a feeling that I will be out of commission for a while and I can't give you any logs or anything.

I hope that there is someone else out there with a multi monitor setup that can confirm things.
Old 10th April 2013, 02:56   #170
DrO

i'd already tried on my own multi-mon setup (having removed one of my plug-ins) and also on a VM multi-mon setup to see if that made a difference due to different drivers and it just doesn't occur. am not doubting something is happening but am reasonably certain it's likely to do with default placement being messed with.

the easier option is to just have the dialog natively remember where it last was without having to mess around with plug-ins and all that crap and can be made to simulate what the OS is meant to be doing anyway. there wouldn't be any logs generated by the preferences window being opened so doesn't matter too much (and hope you get your machine sorted out).
Old 10th April 2013, 03:00   #171
djpete
Major Dude

can i mention an issue with the preferences box losing focus. This has happened for a long time for me but I always just refocus it to the top and have lived with it. Surely it can be fixed. Anyone else noticed this? I use classic skins.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 03:08   #172
DrO

not unless you can describe how and a consistent means to replicate what you're experiencing or a trigger point e.g. is when selecting a specific preference page (if it's from a 3rd party plug-in then often that's not something can can be fixed without a change in the plug-in).

also focus on what part, do you mean the tree or something else ? as with the tree, none of the native plug-ins should cause moving up / down the list via the keyboard to loose focus (i remember fixing that back in the 5.5 days). or just the preferences window in general ?
Old 10th April 2013, 03:16   #173
djpete
Major Dude

the actual dialog box when in preferences. Randomly will lose focus and be hidden. Has always done it no matter what version for a long time, thats why I ask has anyone else experienced it. It can't be just me.
I just reproduced it like this then.
Go into preferences anywhere, leave it open, using win 7 I click on the WA logo in taskbar bottom left to min WA and then max again and the pref box is hidden. The only way to get it back is to then go to options / prefs again. Note I use classic skins

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 03:21   #174
DrO

simple answer is that is expected in that scenario.

as the re-showing process which if i remember correctly is determined by the OS doesn't guarantee the last focused window will be the focused and active window on restoring (as it'll typically be the main window which gets re-focused by the restore action since that's effectively the one you clicked on in the taskbar). as the preferences window ends up being set behind the other windows but it is still open, just not viewable.
Old 10th April 2013, 03:23   #175
djpete
Major Dude

fair enough

Actually sorry it does not close completely it gets covered. Here is a pic.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/prefs.jpg/

I know this is a little off topic and only a small bug as such.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 03:32   #176
DrO

Quote:
as the preferences window ends up being set behind the other windows but it is still open, just not viewable.
what you've shown in the screenshot is as i've quoted from my reply. there's reasons why the preferences dialog is modeless (as-is) instead of modal (blocks accessing other Winamp windows) so sorry to say but as things go, this is likely to stay like it (i know i looked into it a few years back and it wasn't worth the pain to try to hack around it).
Old 10th April 2013, 03:37   #177
djpete
Major Dude

no sweat. Thanks DrO

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 07:55   #178
fuvio

Can you please tell me what Winamp components are needed for Cloud? With full install everything works fine but when I deselect some components I don't use (of course I leave the Winamp Cloud thing), it just shows me a gray screen when I click "Winamp Cloud". Clean install in both cases. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Seems like it's the "Now Playing" component that's needed...
Old 10th April 2013, 08:33   #179
Hanschke

Quote:
Ihre Nachricht hat einige oder alle Empfänger nicht erreicht.

Betreff: winamp error feedback
Gesendet am: 10.04.2013 09:31

Folgende(r) Empfänger kann/können nicht erreicht werden:

'Nullsoft Bug Reporting' am 10.04.2013 09:31
Keines Ihrer E-Mail-Konten kann Nachrichten an diesen Empfänger senden.

Winamp client version: ?3
winamp caused an Unknown exception type (0xc06d007e) in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0023:776c4b32.

Exception handler called in Winamp.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (34.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 10th April 2013, 08:41   #180
harimenon89

Guys, i am unable to download the latest beta from the main page of winamp 5.7 beta discussion forum. Please help, as the download dialog pops up in google chrome but its not downloading!! i have tried the same in different browser...the result is same

Hari
Old 10th April 2013, 09:00   #181
MrSinatra
Forum King

what country are you in? this link from the first post:

http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/...a_full_all.exe

works for me. did u try it in IE?

Quote:
ok, so this has now gotten interesting...

its not just reading metadata, its sending to RG, etc... HOWEVER, if you "logout" of cloud services by clicking it on the navtree, then the logout in the winamp browser, AND THEN do "read metadata" or RG or whatever, NO CRASH!

log back in, crash returns!

so, it def is related to being logged into the cloud.
and even moreso. I just went to upgrade from 63 to 64, and it halted saying it couldn't install the "reporter.exe" which was odd since winamp was closed and no dialog boxes were present.

so I checked task manager and indeed TWO instances of reporter.exe were running, and apparently had been for some time, with no visual indication. I manually killed them with task manager, and install completed np.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Winamp 5.7 Beta with Winamp Cloud Beta, build 3323 to 3363 changelog

* Improved: [in_mp4] Native ALAC playback support
(note: alac.w5s was already in beta builds, but will now officially also be included with final builds)
ok, I admit, I don't know how this is supposed to work, however...

in prefs in filetypes, I do not see ALAC listed. it seems like it now could/should be, right? b/c the ALAC doesn't have to be in a m4a/mp4 container, right? it can have an *.alac extension, right?

also, when I configure the in_mp4 plugin, I don't see ALAC in there either, but shouldn't it be?

--
Old 10th April 2013, 09:26   #182
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Alac is a system component (w5s file) which adds support for playback in MP4 containers only. This is why you are seeing no .alac extension.

But I'm sure Egg already explained this a few days ago in the forums.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:40   #183
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanus View Post
I have a two monitor set up and I keep winamp on the second monitor using Windows 7.
when I open the preferences, it opens on the first monitor. I slide the preferences window over to the second monitor and then close it.
Then when I open the preferences again, it will open on the first monitor again. I am not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but I thought that I would mention it.

Thanks
Juanus
Just a quick note to say that my multi-monitor Winamp is behaving. nVidia graphics card\drivers on Win7. Preferences stay where they are put over on the second monitor.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:40   #184
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Alac is a system component (w5s file) which adds support for playback in MP4 containers only. This is why you are seeing no .alac extension.

But I'm sure Egg already explained this a few days ago in the forums.
well actually, that's why i'm confused, here is part of what he said:

Quote:
Yes, when alac.w5s is present (currently only available via the Essentials Pack) then the Nullsoft MP4 Demuxer (in_mp4.dll) will see it and be able to decode/play any MP4/M4A files with ALAC audio content.

If the file extension is .alac, then ;ALAC will need to be added to the extension list in in_mp4 config,
and that's assuming it's just a renamed mp4 container
(I'm not sure if in_mp4 supports raw alac, maybe someone who's got some raw .alac files could confirm?)
so that, plus some posts by others made me think what I asked in my previous post.

i'm just seeking clarity and enlightenment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Just a quick note to say that my multi-monitor Winamp is behaving. nVidia graphics card\drivers on Win7. Preferences stay where they are put over on the second monitor.
what happens when you have it that way, but put the computer to sleep, and then detach the second monitor, and then wake the computer?

--
Old 10th April 2013, 09:48   #185
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
what happens when you have it that way, but put the computer to sleep, and then detach the second monitor, and then wake the computer?
Things come back on the first monitor. Standard procedure. Have not tested it specifically in this case with Winamp as I've never had a problem.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:50   #186
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, that's what i'm asking though. I remember very old posts where what I describe was happening to someone, where not just prefs, but winamp itself wasn't coming back to the first monitor. this may or may not have anything to do with it, but I think some attempt to address this was made, that might (or might not) explain whats happening now.

--
Old 10th April 2013, 12:25   #187
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuvio View Post
Can you please tell me what Winamp components are needed for Cloud? With full install everything works fine but when I deselect some components I don't use (of course I leave the Winamp Cloud thing), it just shows me a gray screen when I click "Winamp Cloud". Clean install in both cases. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Seems like it's the "Now Playing" component that's needed...
is a different dependency issue as the component for handling the browser control for the cloud node doesn't appear to be being installed in all cases. will have to get that fixed as well. thanks for the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanschke View Post
Winamp client version: ?3
winamp caused an Unknown exception type (0xc06d007e) in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0023:776c4b32.

Exception handler called in Winamp.
according to the crash log, is this happening during you trying to install Winamp ? as it looks like it's related to the missing nxlite.dll dependency which djpete1959 was seeing. you can try manually extracting the dll from the installer and then trying to run Winamp again.

sorry about these dependency issues, but it is part of why we're doing betas (so some part of the process is working).
Old 10th April 2013, 16:44   #188
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@MrSinatra

As I said, I'm not sure if raw alac is supported. I know alac.w5s adds support for alac in an mp4 container, and if that .mp4 or .m4a container has been renamed to .alac then you can get it to play by manually adding ;ALAC to the extension list in in_mp4 config.

The more standard (if there even is a set standard) method for alac (as commonly used by Apple/iOS/iTunes/iTMS/etc) is to provide alac in an .mp4 container with the .m4a extension.

If anyone has raw alac files (ie. pure alac audio not in an .mp4 container) then maybe they can confirm whether those files will play after adding alac to in_mp4 config. My suspicion would be "no", but confirmation would be nice...

Re: crash when editing/reading metadata in library whilst logged into active cloud account

I can reproduce this problem and it is being looked into.
It seems to be related to a clash with the ml tooltip and cloud metadata update notification both accessing the database at the same time...

@everyone

Re: blank/grey views or "nde failed to load" error message when cloud or nowplaying aren't installed...

As mentioned by DrO above, for the nde error, you'll need to make sure nxlite.dll is in the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp root folder and, for the blank view when cloud is installed but nowplaying & other online services aren't installed, you'll need to make sure that ombrowser.w5s is in the Winamp\System folder.

Thanks for all the reports!
Old 10th April 2013, 19:00   #189
MrSinatra
Forum King

np DJ Egg, thx for the confirmation! i'm glad its not just me! you know I love to help ALL the devs!

i'll keep bug huntin'

however, can reporter.exe be looked at? it did not close, (twice) and also it needs to be able to work with webmails: gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc... that's what people use.

--
Old 10th April 2013, 19:54   #190
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
and also it needs to be able to work with webmails: gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc... that's what people use.
Not always simple. Free email is free email and therefore limited. You can't just get Winamp launching a Webmail client - doesn't work like that.

Most of the better accounts will still give you SMTP settings (and I see that you need to edit the ini file to correct the port number in some cases). But remember that these things are not even consistent across country borders.

You also have the problem that people who use free email accounts often don't have a clue about setting them up in a real email client. Even though these details are usually available online. (I know how often I am setting up Thunderbird\Outlook for people so they don't have to wade through all the advertising rubbish of webmail... amazing what people put up with for "free")
Old 10th April 2013, 20:03   #191
MrSinatra
Forum King

I didn't say it was simple, I just said something needed done, b/c free email is what most people use. I don't even understand why they are using email to get these error reports in the first place, since other programs seem to not do it that way; but if they are going to do it that way, they need to give users, including simple users, a simple way to setup what they use, or else whats the point?

btw, setting up smtp in gmail is a pita, so i'm not even saying smtp is the way to go.

--
Old 10th April 2013, 20:27   #192
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Email will be used as it will be "firewall friendly" and therefore simplest. Punching packets out via TCP will often trigger firewall flaps. With an email you also have the bonus of having the user's email address to talk to them if needed.

Setting up SMTP in gmail is simple. Just go into the settings of your gmail account and turn on POP\SMTP. (And as this is for sending, you may not even need to do that. I think SMTP will work for you already)

Then your outgoing server details are:
Username - full gmail email address
Password - as per gmail login
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
SSL: On

Trouble with outgoing gmail is it needs to use SSL encryption. So hopefully the email library in use by Winamp can handle this.

IMHO - I would think it could be best to do the trick the mobile phones do. Have templates for the SMTP settings for Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc which can then flick these options for those who need them. Then the Winamp Reporter tool can select the relevant SMTP server details. And just leave open edit boxes for those of us who can talk raw SMTP
Old 10th April 2013, 21:00   #193
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@MrSinatra
I deleted my local cloud db files, and after a Winamp restart & re-pull, I can no longer reproduce the metedata edit crashes.
So I suggest you try the same.

As for reporter, I'm not rightly sure, tbh. It's old....
I agree that gen_crasher needs updating to allow for a better smtp config (port etc) for free email servers,
especially now that we've got an active open beta programme.
Old 10th April 2013, 21:05   #194
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg, I will try that and report back, and I started this thread so as to not clutter the beta thread, in regards to the error reporting plugin:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=359155

EDIT: I haven't tried it yet, but even if it works, it sounds like a workaround, meaning that it may solve the present issue, but does it address the underlying cause and keep it from ever coming back?

--
Old 10th April 2013, 21:20   #195
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Egg, I will try that and report back.....

EDIT: I haven't tried it yet, but even if it works, it sounds like a workaround, meaning that it may solve the present issue, but does it address the underlying cause and keep it from ever coming back?
Hopefully we can put some checks in place to prevent it from ever happening in the first place.
But for now, in beta state, the cure-all is to delete the local cloud db files.
Old 10th April 2013, 23:10   #196
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, now I've tried that, remember the screenshot below? it got to that point, with the weird code, and I went to the local views, and it appeared fine, EXCEPT I could NOT get a right click menu in the tracks pane at all, and on the album art I tried to refresh an artwork, which was there, and I got a llama, and then switching views I lost all my art for everything in every view, and then eventually winamp crashed, generating no report that I could see.

I have restarted winamp, and that weird code from the screenshot is no longer there, all my art is back, and I can right click in tracks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cloud2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	50415  

--
Old 11th April 2013, 09:29   #197
MrSinatra
Forum King

another issue:

Quote:
Winamp 5.7 Beta, build 3364 (with Winamp Cloud Beta)

* Improved: [ml_local/history] Friendlier error message if nde/database fails to load
well, ok, but I thought when this happened to the local DB or history DB, you got a button with that msg offering to fix/reset it, (in fact, i think I used that button once b4) but dj pete doesn't seem to have gotten it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
I get the following error message when upgrading to latest version. Had to do clean install. Updated again today and same thing again.

I dont install any of the new features when I install.
Maybe this is why?
and in my case, it apparently has happened to my history DB, and it also doesn't have the button to fix/reset it.

where's the button?

I have not done anything since, in case anyone would like to see anything...?

--
Old 11th April 2013, 18:05   #198
Hanschke

@DrO

it is not a problem to get a crash and help here but I dont like it if the bug sending function dont work because the email dont exist and only got mailerdemon. thats stupid and you will lost many bug reports because not all people look here.

i got the crash everytime if i close winamp.
Old 11th April 2013, 18:22   #199
DrO

don't have a go at me about the crash reporter as there's nothing i can do about it - it's only an internal thing and was never hardened for general usage so it's never been expected to work in all cases.

and you never said when the crash happens so i can only go on what is indicated in what you provided. so it crashes on close as well then or what ?
Old 11th April 2013, 18:24   #200
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanschke View Post
@DrO

it is not a problem to get a crash and help here but I dont like it if the bug sending function dont work because the email dont exist and only got mailerdemon. thats stupid and you will lost many bug reports because not all people look here.

i got the crash everytime if i close winamp.
If you don't have an email client installed, the automatic email report thing won't work. (See that other thread linked above).

If you are a webmail only user and don't know which end of an SMTP to poke with a stick, then nip into the %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins folder and you'll find a zipped up copy of the report there (report.zip). You can then email that in from your webmail client (if someone like official would be kind enough to say which email address to post the reports to.... Maybe add it to the first post in this thread? Or do we keep sending them to \dev\null )

Or is it better to just attach that report.zip to this Beta Thread?

The name and location of that report.zip can be changed in the Beta Report Error Feedback dialog.

Don't forget the only people running the Beta release are those who have come to this thread to find and install it. And hopefully those same beta testers have the sense to read this thread fully and remember they are testing a BETA. Which means "We Bet it will work a Bit Betterer that the last Beta"
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion